• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

So Future Shop just sent out my $40 InFamous. Of course, there's no chance I'm getting it tomorrow.

I wonder if I can just buy the LE in-store on Friday and then return my regular mailed edition next week...

Are you in a city centre? Fs frequently sends out my stuff the night before and I get it the next day b

Best Buy has playstation cameras FYI.

I bought one just because they are so rare. :/.

farisr

Yeah, it's listed as the sku on the receipt but it's really a webID. My sku/webid number matches up with the limited edition webid.

For people who want to check whether they are receiving the Limited Edition or regular edition from Futureshop, open up your order receipt from the order details page.

Look for this:

LDlxelQ.jpg

Type in the number you see there into the search bar, and whichever version comes up is the one that's shipping out to you. Even though my invoice doesn't say it's the limited edition game in text, the sku matches up with the limited edition.

Quoted for new page.

I'm trying to figure out what's so awful. Saying overpriced is one thing, awful lead me to think there were more problems than that.

Last time I went, it looked like a shithole. It's not a mystery. A store with overpriced items isn't really compelling. Even if they tidy up more often now, it's still not a competitive store for normal or retro items, unless you're adverse to walking more than a km or order online.

i-Jest

Best Buy has playstation cameras FYI.

I bought one just because they are so rare. :/.

Yeah? Might wait. It's not a hot item for me right now.

Last time I went, it looked like a shithole. It's not a mystery. A store with overpriced items isn't really compelling. Even if they tidy up more often now, it's still not a competitive store for normal or retro items, unless you're adverse to walking more than a km or order online.

I personally haven't had a problem with them. Their space is small and cramped, especially during the busy hour, but given that they're in downtown Toronto I can't see them moving anytime soon. If they want a bigger space I imagine they'd leave downtown Toronto. As for pricing, I always thought they sold items at market value. If you can find the item cheaper then that's awesome. As for being competitive with other game shops, I think they do alright. I haven't been to every video game shop in Toronto but as for the ones I've gone to I believe A&C stacks up pretty well. They always carry a varied selection, especially of retro games. They always have great customer service. They support the competitive side of gaming in the form of tournaments. As a result the local gaming community shows its support.

I'm just speaking from my own experience but if they're not to your liking then try Game Mania. They're close to Keele station. I also recall there being a game shop somewhere in Kensington Market.

Tagg9

Are you in a city centre? Fs frequently sends out my stuff the night before and I get it the next day b

I'm in Victoria, and it ships from Richmond (Vancouver) so that should be one day. However, I haven't received any game on release day for several months now. I blame Canada Post.

farisr

Did you just order the regular or premium edition? I'm asking to see if they upgraded the preorders like they did with couple of recent games.

They upgraded my preorder to the limited edition. When I preordered there was no regular or limited edition announced. Just the basic game.

Windam

Scaley member
Seems EB Games has a sale on P4G. Got it for $25 new on Wednesday. Not sure if that counts as a sale, but it was $10 off what they normally sell it for now.

jholmes

Posted this in the OT but I'll ask here, too: Anyone get Pure Chess on Wii U (or possibly 3DS)? I ask first of all because they hiked the price of a $8 US game to $9, which I'm not too thrilled about, but also because myself and another Canadian weren't able to access the DLC in the eShop at all. Hoping that was some sort of early-day glitch but I'm not sure.

If leaving out DLC north of the border is intentional, needless to say I'm hoping that doesn't catch on.

vulva

this is pretty much how it always looks, and has looked for the like 6 years that I've been going there. Doesn't look like a shithole to me but maybe I just have a higher tolerance?
insideview2small.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think that place looks gross. Merchandising matters.
Location and space is limiting of course but I would not feel comfortable shopping in a place like that.

I don't mind A&C, it's cozy. Not as much when there are a few other shoppers in there but it's not that bad. Rarely buy anything there because of the prices though.

Vibranium

Banned
Anyone notice on Amazon how a lot of new games up for pre-order are temporarily $60 now? Are they running some sort promotion to make the hikes easier by having limited time prices before they revert back to the $70 point? There are some already released PS4 games like Thief and Tomb Raider that are discounted too though, maybe it's some sort of title-wide discount.

I've noticed this for Wolfenstein The New Order, Watch_Dogs, MLB The Show (only $5 off, bloody Sony)

The prices are an inconsistent mess for titles to be released in the future too haha.... frankly Amazon should cut the crap and keep everything as it was.

Deadly

How is the shipping from Amazon usually? I bought D3:RoS which comes out on the 25th but the ETA is like the week after that with the free shipping option which is kinda BS.

Recently my friend had ordered DS2 with release day shipping and he didn't even get it on release day.

Vinc

Expected delivery:
2014/03/24

Dammit Future Shop! They always ship my items that release on a friday LATER than when it's on a tuesday! Won't be playing Second Son until monday.... and that's when my time off work ends :(

farisr

Expected delivery:
2014/03/24

Dammit Future Shop! They always ship my items that release on a friday LATER than when it's on a tuesday! Won't be playing Second Son until monday.... and that's when my time off work ends :(

No stores anywhere near by?

Endy MacK

I wasn't expecting to receive Second Son today, but it looks like Shop.ca may have come through for me:

Scheduled Delivery:
Friday, 03/21/2014, By End of Day

This was actually the first time I was going to receive an item from FS on release day and my package got routed to the the wrong place this morning. I guess this will give me time to finish Black Flag before I dive into Second Son.

Anyone notice on Amazon how a lot of new games up for pre-order are temporarily $60 now? Are they running some sort promotion to make the hikes easier by having limited time prices before they revert back to the $70 point? There are some already released PS4 games like Thief and Tomb Raider that are discounted too though, maybe it's some sort of title-wide discount.

I've noticed this for Wolfenstein The New Order, Watch_Dogs, MLB The Show (only $5 off, bloody Sony)

The prices are an inconsistent mess for titles to be released in the future too haha.... frankly Amazon should cut the crap and keep everything as it was.

How is the shipping from Amazon usually? I bought D3:RoS which comes out on the 25th but the ETA is like the week after that with the free shipping option which is kinda BS.

Recently my friend had ordered DS2 with release day shipping and he didn't even get it on release day.

If you are expecting a release day shipping, the last thing you want to pre-order a game is from Amazon Canada. Basically you never get the game on the release day.

Zing

Banned
If you order from Amazon, and the game releases on friday, expect to get it the following tuesday or wednesday, assuming you live in the GTA.

My Infamous SS Collector's Edition from Amazon.ca is still in transit and expected for delivery on Monday, had another CE with EB and they called me to pick it up yesterday but I was lazy to go, my FS E3 copy is out for delivery today lol

If anyone wants the CE from EB I can give it to him for its cost which is $90+ tax. I think it's sold out anyway.

kurahadol

I am also in this camp. No big deal for me. I'm getting it less than market value so the tradeoff is worth it.
Yeah, it's actually better for me if it doesn't arrive, have a big exam next week I need to study for over the weekend. The less distractions, the better.

Endy MacK

I am also in this camp. No big deal for me. I'm getting it less than market value so the tradeoff is worth it.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had some reward dollars to use, plus the SHOP10 code knocked an extra $10 off, so I wouldn't have been unhappy with it arriving late. As long as I can continue to get great deals from them, I will be happy to order all of my games there!

Yeah, it's actually better for me if it doesn't arrive, have a big exam next week I need to study for over the weekend. The less distractions, the better.

I hope you study hard and do well on this exam. You are a good person and deserve to do well in life. Never forget that.

Jachaos

These Friday releases suck. I used to get my games on release day from Future Shop even if they shipped them at 11pm the night before release. Now it shipped last night but expected delivery is Monday. Same situation with DK. I don't get my games on release day anymore so yeah. But whatever, 40$ is good. As long as there's the E3 deal I'll keep ordering from Future Shop.

kurahadol

I hope you study hard and do well on this exam. You are a good person and deserve to do well in life. Never forget that.
As I sit here and read about treatment options for constipation and diarrhea, quotes like this make me feel a lot less shitty.
Lets give it up for bad puns!

jet1911

Just bought Second Son from FS because they are incompetent and they can't ship games on time. I'll return the copy I'll receive monday... 80,47$ for a new game is way too much lol.

this is pretty much how it always looks, and has looked for the like 6 years that I've been going there. Doesn't look like a shithole to me but maybe I just have a higher tolerance?
insideview2small.jpg

Or lower standards. Yep they tidied up in that pic and those totes on the side scream high class. Whatever: if they serve you and others well, then I end my tirade.

---

What I won't end is my tirade re: Infamous being $69.

Deadly

If you are expecting a release day shipping, the last thing you want to pre-order a game is from Amazon Canada. Basically you never get the game on the release day.
I wasn't expecting release day but like at least release week.... And everywhere else has raised it to 44.99$ :(

Slime

Banned
Anyone had any luck finding the LE version of inFamous in stores today? For some reason I thought I heard all first printings were the LE, but that's apparently not the case. Are they super hard to find?

Anyone had any luck finding the LE version of inFamous in stores today? For some reason I thought I heard all first printings were the LE, but that's apparently not the case. Are they super hard to find?

Future Shops in my area show the LE in stock. It's a separate printing and the regular edition is in stock too. You need to snatch one fast before they go out of stock.

suikodan

These Friday releases suck. I used to get my games on release day from Future Shop even if they shipped them at 11pm the night before release. Now it shipped last night but expected delivery is Monday. Same situation with DK. I don't get my games on release day anymore so yeah. But whatever, 40$ is good. As long as there's the E3 deal I'll keep ordering from Future Shop.

Speaking of which. FS shipped my FFX HD and it got delivered at my place and now CanadaPosts says that Infamous:SS is delivered as well but... to my community mailbox.

But... I HAVE NO community mailbox!!! FFX and I:SS have the same delivery address.

Wow, where is it now? I suspect it "might" be at my local SDM but still, not too pleased.

Speaking of which. FS shipped my FFX HD and it got delivered at my place and now CanadaPosts says that Infamous:SS is delivered as well but... to my community mailbox.

But... I HAVE NO community mailbox!!! FFX and I:SS have the same delivery address.

Wow, where is it now? I suspect it "might" be at my local SDM but still, not too pleased.

Hopefully it's at your local postal centre. Sounds like they didn't bother trying to deliver it.

explodet

If you order from Amazon, and the game releases on friday, expect to get it the following tuesday or wednesday, assuming you live in the GTA.
Indeed. Amazon.ca has really dropped the ball in terms of timely releases. They used to be pretty good, but time makes fools of us all.
I only preorder stuff from there now if it's both cheaper than other online stores at the time, and it's a game I don't mind waiting until after the release day to play.

Just bought Second Son from FS because they are incompetent and they can't ship games on time. I'll return the copy I'll receive monday... 80,47$ for a new game is way too much lol.

Are you in Quebec? I haven't bought a game at the new pricing yet but $80.47 hurts, damn!

When I went to walmart to pick up infamous they had cod ps4 for 29$ lowest I've seen it yet

Is it just that or by any chance they have the PS4 version of Tomb Raider at that price? Still a decent deal for COD to be $30 on the PS4.

Slime

Banned
Future Shops in my area show the LE in stock. It's a separate printing and the regular edition is in stock too. You need to snatch one fast before they go out of stock.

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give their reservation thing a try and hope the site is up to date.

farisr

Yep I live in Quebec. There's no way I'm buying games at that price anymore. I just hope Futureshop E3 deal will happen again this year haha.

I'm probably going to end up ordering nearly every preorder game they'll have listed in the deal (if it happens).

I can always return the game unopened in case the game doesn't look like it will be my cup of tea near release.

Only one game I preordered since last year has turned out like that, which was NBA Live 14. Another game I preordered last year, I'm half expecting to be returned when I receive it is The Crew (if it's online-only, I like to be able to pause in games that have longass races).

Top Bottom