• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Jo-El

Has anyone who did the E3 thing received their Diablo 3 from Amazon.ca yet? Mine's still listing as "Not Yet Shipped", and inexplicably has an estimated arrival date of the 24th-25th, even though the site itself is showing it as being in stock and I have Priority shipping on it.

Their help chat has been incredibly useless, too. The first person I spoke with had to take several minutes to check what was happening, and then reassured me it would be shipping later that day. She advised that it was showing the 24th-25th because I had initially selected Super Saver shipping, but it would be quicker as I'd opted to upgrade to Priority after.

I tried chat again four hours later when it hadn't even changed to Packing status, and the next guy said it wasn't eligible for release date shipping, and that I would receive it on the 24th-25th. I advised him I knew I wouldn't get it for release date, but that I was at least under the impression they'd ship it on release date, rather than sitting on it for no reason - I'm paying for Priority shipment, which is basically useless when they dilly-dally about, not shipping the game in a timely manner. Priority shipment shouldn't result in my getting an in-stock game a week later. He "made this up" to me by crediting $4.00.

Now, this morning, still no movement, so back I go, I guess.

Amazon.ca is absolutely pathetic at shipping stuff on time. Futureshop/Bestbuy ship the day before release and I manage to always get games on release day or sometimes the day after. That's with their free shipping too. Amazon expects you to pay for faster shipping if you want a game on time, but what you're really paying for is to have your game ship before people who use free shipping. Games always arrive the day after they ship for me, free shipping is no exception. You shouldn't have to wait days after a game releases just to have them ship it.

When I asked them why my estimated delivery date for Diablo was 2-3 weeks after release when I live about an hour away from their warehouse all they said was that they weren't offering release date delivery for it and that if I wanted it sooner I needed to pay for priority shipping. I asked again since they didn't answer my question and they upgraded my order to priority for free, but again didn't answer my question. I don't understand how they feel it's acceptable to sit on orders for so long without shipping them.

With that said, I did manage to have Diablo arrive yesterday.

Firestar

Amazon.ca is absolutely pathetic at shipping stuff on time. Futureshop/Bestbuy ship the day before release and I manage to always get games on release day or sometimes the day after. That's with their free shipping too. Amazon expects you to pay for faster shipping if you want a game on time, but what you're really paying for is to have your game ship before people who use free shipping. Games always arrive the day after they ship for me, free shipping is no exception. You shouldn't have to wait days after a game releases just to have them ship it.

When I asked them why my estimated delivery date for Diablo was 2-3 weeks after release when I live about an hour away from their warehouse all they said was that they weren't offering release date delivery for it and that if I wanted it sooner I needed to pay for priority shipping. I asked again since they didn't answer my question and they upgraded my order to priority for free, but again didn't answer my question. I don't understand how they feel it's acceptable to sit on orders for so long without shipping them.

Amazon.ca seems to be all over the place for me as well. Last year I got Tales of Xillia from them with free shipping like 5 days before release, yet they couldn't ship my FFX HD until like a week after release. When I asked customer support why they couldn't even be bothered to ship stuff around release they upgraded me to 1 day shipping, but I still should've had it far sooner. And of course it said in stock on their site the entire time, so I don't know why they delay it so long sometimes.

Amazon shipping complaints? Amazon shipping complaints.

I ordered Disgaea 4 as part of the E3 deal and I still haven't received a shipping notice. It's been about a week and one day now and I just canceled the order because fuck it whatever, I'll buy it on PSN when it goes on sale.

Amazon is always a mixed bag with me as well. Like with Demon Gaze I only got it a day late, and I got Bravely Default on release day. But then there are times when it will just ship fuck all late to the point where I go "Well I'll just buy it somewhere else."

DJ_Lae

Xillia 2 has yet to ship from Amazon for me as well, and I have Prime. It says Friday for delivery, though, so who knows, maybe it'll ship today (it'll have to).

It also appears they're out of stock of the regular version (or were yesterday).

Billfisto

Well, the third customer service rep I spoke with advised that they were still waiting to get Diablo 3 from their supplier. He couldn't account for why the site shows "In Stock", or how basically every store in Canada other than Canada's largest online retailer had it for release date, though. Oh well. The E3 discount and price guarantee are too good, and I'm a weak, weak man.

UberTag

Most of my E3 purchases went through Best Buy so I've been able to avoid the Amazon shipping shenanigans for the most part.

I scored The Last of Us Remastered the day after release and expect much the same treatment from Amazon for both Drive Club and Destiny. Clearly their priority is to only have release day shipping for their Prime customers and if that's the way they want to go compared to Future Shop and Best Buy going forward at least we know what we're dealing with.

Jagxyz

If I wasn't getting Diablo 3 for like $45 from Amazon, I'd be a lot more annoyed at the shipping situation. I hope it at least ships today :/

Edit: Yay it shipped! Should be here tomorrow :)

djblue89

If I wasn't getting Diablo 3 for like $45 from Amazon, I'd be a lot more annoyed at the shipping situation. I hope it at least ships today :/

I've got express shipping on Madden and the rest of my Amazon order. I better get it on Tuesday or else I'll flip out!

My Xillia 2 preorder came in with no problems today, amazon gave me a free extra month on my prime subscription for it coming late so that was pretty good!

Most of my E3 purchases went through Best Buy so I've been able to avoid the Amazon shipping shenanigans for the most part.

Same here but from Futureshop. I'm pretty impressed with them shipping early for release day arrival.

i-Jest

For those that preordered Freedom Wars did you guys know about this:
freedomwars.jpg

I just found out about this.

zroid

Banned

I saw the thread but at which retailers will it be offered?

I pre-ordered it from Amazon during E3 but now I don't even know if I want the game. The impressions of the Japanese version have been piss poor.

Sealtest

I'm not buying from Amazon anymore because they treat non-Prime users as lepers
I've only ever had problems with them for games, Books and movies have been decent so far.

Cept Chapters/Indigo when they have free no minimum shipping is always great.

Btw if anyone preordered call of duty advanced warfare and/or batman arkham knight on amazon.ca when they had release day delivery your prolly not getting it. My order was completed screwed up when they re-did the release date for both and they pretty much said 2 bad.

Zing

Banned
The thing with Amazon is that it is clearly related to the introduction of Prime. Before Prime, orders shipped fast. Now, I place an order, and it shows absolutely no movement for up to a week, for no apparent reason. I live in the GTA, so of course the actual shipping time is only a day, but they sit on the order for far too long.

Canon

Banned
Is it a good idea to buy a refurbished 360 hard drive from EB Games? Do these things fail after the 30-day return window?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it a good idea to buy a refurbished 360 hard drive from EB Games? Do these things fail after the 30-day return window?
If you don't mind doing the work, you can buy your own 500gb hard drive and format it to work with a 360. The only thing you lose is backwards compatibility.

Jinto

The thing with Amazon is that it is clearly related to the introduction of Prime. Before Prime, orders shipped fast. Now, I place an order, and it shows absolutely no movement for up to a week, for no apparent reason. I live in the GTA, so of course the actual shipping time is only a day, but they sit on the order for far too long.

I have Prime and my pre-orders have been all over the place. Not one game from them has arrived on time. Diablo III didn't ship until yesterday and is not supposed to arrive until tomorrow. Got my BB copy today.

I only ordered the second one from Amazon because I thought I was getting a better price. Amazon actually charged me more. I very much dislike how they don't show each game's price until it's shipped.

Now I have 2 copies, but it's much easier to return the less expensive one.

?!?!?!

stickers!

darn it I shoulda preordered

Not physical stickers, as far as I can tell. Everything is DLC, so it's virtual goods. At least, that's the gist I got from the announcement. Sorry :(

(as an aside, if I cancel my Freedom Wars pre-order from Amazon and the order drops to two games, do I lose one of my E3 discounts? since there was a 15% extra off if you bought three or more?)

StevieP

Banned
It's not for me. It's for my sister. She's been a loyalist since the 1st iPhone. She's even got herself a Macbook. For her it's Apple or bust. So if anyone knows anything please share.

Perhaps it wouldn't be as painful on a 4s (or anything above that) due to additional memory and processing power but using apps and browsing on a 4 is atrocious, speed wise, now.

bingo! the only way they can justify prime is by otherwise sitting on orders. so obvious, & so sleazy. aside from a few unique deals, have basically opted for 'anyone but amazon' for games...

Has anyone ever had a package from Best Buy get lost? It says my copy of Diablo was delivered successfully yesterday, but wasn't in yesterday's or todays mail (and isn't at the post office). I'm not sure if it was delivered to the wrong address, lost, stolen, or what. I contacted Best Buy, but have yet to hear back. Literally every single time up until now, if a game has said "delivered", it's been at my place, so this is definitely a bit weird.

This is the first time this has happened to me, I'm just curious how much of a headache I'm in for.

iphys

I once had a package from Best Buy say it was delivered and simply never arrive, and I think they had to wait like 30 days or 6 weeks to do an investigation to be sure, and then they refunded me rather than replacing my order, which sucked because I lost out on the discount I had ordered at. I think it was because they no longer had stock of one of the items I had ordered; otherwise, I hope they would be able to replace the order instead.

I once had a package from Best Buy say it was delivered and simply never arrive, and I think they had to wait like 30 days or 6 weeks to do an investigation to be sure, and then they refunded me rather than replacing my order, which sucked because I lost out on the discount I had ordered at. I think it was because they no longer had stock of one of the items I had ordered; otherwise, I hope they would be able to replace the order instead.

30 days? Fuck that! Hopefully I can find a speedier solution lol

Huh, but there aren't any retail specific things on there. I wonder if PSN will have their own pre-order stuff? I'd prefer to get Freedom Wars digitally because it's the kind of game I just want stuck on my Vita at all times.

Vamphuntr

Has anyone ever had a package from Best Buy get lost? It says my copy of Diablo was delivered successfully yesterday, but wasn't in yesterday's or todays mail (and isn't at the post office). I'm not sure if it was delivered to the wrong address, lost, stolen, or what. I contacted Best Buy, but have yet to hear back. Literally every single time up until now, if a game has said "delivered", it's been at my place, so this is definitely a bit weird.

This is the first time this has happened to me, I'm just curious how much of a headache I'm in for.

This tracking message happened to me with no package received on the same day once. It was an ebay item. I went to the post office and they cleared the confusion for me, they had scanned they item in the truck as delivered but they ran out of time to deliver it so I got it eventually later in the following day.

Ryne

I had a shipment get "lost" and "found" within a week. Long story.

In case you want to read:

I had the Wizard's Edition of South Park "safe dropped" when it says on the tracking page that it should not be safe dropped. It was marked as delivered, but when I went home I could not find it - lucky the postman asked my mom (I get packages delivered to my old address instead of my apartment) if she got the package. When she said no, he put up a fight and tried to leave, but she got his name and plate.

I put in a report with BB and with Canada Post saying that they safe dropped an item that wasn't supposed to be safe dropped and it was missing. BB didn't do anything, I had to call Canada Post up to 10 times in about 3 days to be put through to a supervisor who listened to me. She contacted the mail depot, who had a supervisor contact me to tell me that the mailman did everything right. I told him it was not supposed to be safe dropped, he put up a fight until I pointed out that their own tracking page says to not safe drop it. He said okay and that they will be looking into finding where the package went.

2 days later the package was delivered again, this time to my sister who was home at the time - the original supervisor I talked to said it was weird that the same package was marked as delivered twice within a week, but I heard nothing from them after that.

All of this for 80 bucks of product.

BB, about 2 weeks later said the package was successfully delivered and that they will close the ticket.

tl;dr, don't expect anything from BB.

This tracking message happened to me with no package received on the same day once. It was an ebay item. I went to the post office and they cleared the confusion for me, they had scanned they item in the truck as delivered but they ran out of time to deliver it so I got it eventually later in the following day.

Hmm, I'll enquire with the post office then. Thanks!

chrono01

I assume it will be one of those things where just the first run of all the copies include the bonuses.
Yeah, that could be possible.

The fact that there's no physical items means it would be easy enough to include them with all initial launch copies. Makes sense, at least.

Tapejara

Beautiful! Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Hopefully this works, I don't want to have to travel all the way to FutureShop for nothing.

I know I'm replying to this like three days later, but I haven't checked this thread since I last posted lol. Anyhow, for some reason it was showing up as $499.99 for me on the EB site. It looks fine now.

Zing

Banned

I had this happen to me once. It turns out the postal worker had put the key to the parcel box in someone else's mailbox. I live in a subdivision with those large multi-mailbox things with two parcel boxes. I called the post office and they discovered the error the next day.

Razdek

Banned
I bought the PlayStation Gold headsets for $19.99 during the sale and the quality and sound from them are disappointing. No way are these worth $99 at regular price.

I bought the PlayStation Gold headsets for $19.99 during the sale and the quality and sound from them are disappointing. No way are these worth $99 at regular price.

Yeah, I have a raincheck to get them for $20 once they have stock again. But I have Turtle Beach PX5s hooked up directly though optical to my PS4 running 7.1. The headset doesn't work but for surround they are amazing. I doubt they can beat the PX5s? I usually just wear the 1 piece mic that came with the PS4 with the PX5s.

Has Turtle Beach released something as good or better than the PX5?

Razdek

Banned
Yeah, I have a raincheck to get them for $20 once they have stock again. But I have Turtle Beach PX5s hooked up directly though optical to my PS4 running 7.1. The headset doesn't work but for surround they are amazing. I doubt they can beat the PX5s? I usually just wear the 1 piece mic that came with the PS4 with the PX5s.

Has Turtle Beach released something as good or better than the PX5?

Can't be hard to be these gold headsets but for $19.99 I really shouldn't be complaining. The mic on these things suck too as they're internal. Not sure as I've never had Turtle Beach headset.

Leeness

There are usually Assassin's Creed bundles for consoles every year, right?

I think I have saved enough to justify getting a PS4 soon, and will want AC Unity, so hopefully there will be a bundle come November. :)

Guesong

Well...

I guess Aidan's cap really wasn't that iconic after all!

PS4 bundle makes me tempted, though. Bah, I'll just hold out for Destiny bundle.

Beside it would be fiscally unresponsible for me to buy one at the moment >_>.

Anyone living near the Montreal area that has any say in hiring folks where they work? Might as well ask! Seems it's all about connections nowadays.

Megasoum

Banned
Any deals going on for 360 consoles? I still have an old white one and I'm tired of the whole house shaking everytime the disc is spinning lol.

It's crazy that in 2014 the cheapest sku is still 200$.

Top Bottom