• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Slime

Banned
Oh nice, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to give their reservation thing a try and hope the site is up to date.

Update: Reserved the LE, went to pick it up, all they had was the regular edition. FML. Going to try my luck...everywhere else.

I really need to start preordering again!

Update: Reserved the LE, went to pick it up, all they had was the regular edition. FML. Going to try my luck...everywhere else.

I really need to start preordering again!

Doesn't really help, few people who pre-ordered ended up getting the regular edition shipped.

Dazzler

Infamous is the first game the $69 price point has put me off of. Just not paying that amount for a game

I'll wait until it's closer to $40

Palehorse

Infamous is the first game the $69 price point has put me off of. Just not paying that amount for a game

I'm definitely part of the problem. I am on board with not paying $70, however I really do want to play this game. I didn't preorder last year during E3 and so I'm stuck at that price. I'll be doing some trades I think but I'll still feel dirty.

The hell? Wait, whats the difference between the Limited Edition and regular edition again?

You get some DLC relating to the fate of Cole from Infamous 1 and 2, some missions and a new jacket.

i-Jest

You get some DLC relating to the fate of Cole from Infamous 1 and 2, some missions and a new jacket.

Yeah. Just looked it up. LE also has a holographic cover. Welp, Mine just came. Won't be playing it for the next little bit. Sucks people were getting the regular edition when they pre-ordered the limited edition. What are retailers doing about this screw up?

Nymphae

Banned
I'm definitely part of the problem. I am on board with not paying $70, however I really do want to play this game. I didn't preorder last year during E3 and so I'm stuck at that price. I'll be doing some trades I think but I'll still feel dirty.

Same here, I was cursing this the other day but I think I'm going to buy this tonight.

I think in the long run it's just going to hurt everything that isn't a big hyped AAA game. No one is going to be willing to drop almost $80 on a game they aren't completely sure they are going to like. There is no way in hell I'm buying anything that isn't a "must play" at that retail price. They're almost losing me on my most wanted games at that price, it's ridiculous.

I'm happier with my Vita at this point, I buy a game every month or two for like 10 bucks, and the PS+ freebies are nice as well.

Cudder

Same here, I was cursing this the other day but I think I'm going to buy this tonight.

I think in the long run it's just going to hurt everything that isn't a big hyped AAA game. No one is going to be willing to drop almost $80 on a game they aren't completely sure they are going to like. There is no way in hell I'm buying anything that isn't a "must play" at that retail price. They're almost losing me on my most wanted games at that price, it's ridiculous.

I'm happier with my Vita at this point, I buy a game every month or two for like 10 bucks, and the PS+ freebies are nice as well.

Game Deals Canada ‏@GameDealsCanada 3h
No Tax Event Mar 21 - 22: inFamous: Second Son is $59.99 @ Real Canadian SuperStore via flyer pg 3

Yeah. Just looked it up. LE also has a holographic cover. Welp, Mine just came. Won't be playing it for the next little bit. Sucks people were getting the regular edition when they pre-ordered the limited edition. What are retailers doing about this screw up?

I don't think it is for the people who pre-ordered the LE. Everyone who pre-ordered the game are supposed to get a LE, even the ones who ordered the regular edition. So they might have ended up getting the regular version shipped?

For instance, I pre-ordered the regular edition during last year E3 deal and looking at the product id on my invoice, it is the LE that is being shipped. Though I have to complain how they charged me on Monday and shipped to Montreal yesterday and it is going to be in transit all weekend. Damn Future Shop, not again.

Game Deals Canada ‏@GameDealsCanada 3h
No Tax Event Mar 21 - 22: inFamous: Second Son is $59.99 @ Real Canadian SuperStore via flyer pg 3

This must be province specific cause unless I completely missed it, I didn't see a no tax listing in the Winnipeg flyer. We did have no tax last weekend though.

MesH

I made sure when I ordered from Amazon.ca it was the Limited Edition when it was at 59.99, when I checked yesterday it said it was the Regular Edition, I am thinking they messed around with the Skews when they up the price. Pissed cause I had it preordered since January and made sure it was the limited edition, and as of this morning it still hadn't shipped so I cancelled my order and bought the Limited digital off PSN. I figured screw it, pay the extra 10 and get the limited, or wait till next friday for the regular to show up.

Endy MacK

Success! My Second Son Limited Edition just arrived. Too bad I don't have time to fire it up right now. Oh well, I'll just admire the foil cover for a few minutes.

this is pretty much how it always looks, and has looked for the like 6 years that I've been going there. Doesn't look like a shithole to me but maybe I just have a higher tolerance?
insideview2small.jpg

I love the place. We have nothing really like it in Ottawa (The Blue Gryphon aspires in that direction, but has a ways to go yet), so despite the Ebay-inspired pricing, I gleefully shop there every time I'm in T.O. The staff have always been really helpful and friendly to this 55 year old geezer that comes stumbling into their store wide-eyed and drooling, and I've found all kinds of cool stuff there I haven't been able to find elsewhere... and besides, actually seeing/handling an item before paying for it (as opposed to Ebay, say) is worth a premium to me regardless.

I think anyone who loves video games will find the place worth a visit; at least they should drop by and judge for themselves...

Amazon.ca is offering release date delivery for some of the coming releases unlike before when they always gave you expected delivery a few days late! It sucks to wait till Monday to get the Infamous SS CE from them but at else I got the LE from FS E3 preorder! Also FF X|X2 arrived today :)
Here is a pic of what I got today just because I'm happy :D

02S7fe4.jpg

Kalren

I don't think they will give you bonus points nor you can redeem points towards them :(

I might try it then this weekend if I can find $50 worth of product to purchase just to confirm it ($50 + $20 or $10 PSN Card). That way I still take advantage of the point offer and confirm if it works since the points are attributed right away.

Gritesh

Maybe already discussed? But why does the cover of Frozen look like the snowman is giving it to the reindeer?

Also I take back everything I said about Future Shop and Canada post. They magically came through today and my Infamous SS was sitting in the mailbox at home :)

snack

Amazon.ca is offering release date delivery for some of the coming releases unlike before when they always gave you expected delivery a few days late! It sucks to wait till Monday to get the Infamous SS CE from them but at else I got the LE from FS E3 preorder! Also FF X|X2 arrived today :)

02S7fe4.jpg
NOW THAT IS A HAPPY KID

02S7fe4.jpg

That is a solid package right there, can't complain.

zroid

Banned
I got my Frozen price "re-adjusted" at Best Buy. At first I had PM'd wal-mart ($22), so they knocked off another $3. Someone might be interested to know that they took the previously adjusted price as the "base" price, so I actually lost about $0.33 versus if I had simply purchased the item again and PM'd Toys R Us using Best Buy's $24.99 selling price. Not worth my trouble for 33 cents though.

I own like 2 Blu-rays but I want this for some reason.

I have a fair number but it's only my 5th Disney blu-ray. I really really like this movie. :3

That Frozen hate thread in OT makes me sad. :(

Canon

Banned
Xbone will give 100,000 points ($170) at Shoppers, is this worth it?

I wanted a PS4 because I have a Vita and PS Plus, but after the $50 price hike, Sony REALLY pissed me off. So an Xbox One is only $329.99 with this promo (of course you need to spend the points on something else), making it hard to justify my PS4.

My only concern is games that keep being below 1080p, but other than that there's really no Sony exclusives that I care about.

i-Jest

Xbone will give 100,000 points ($170) at Shoppers, is this worth it?

I wanted a PS4 because I have a Vita and PS Plus, but after the $50 price hike, Sony REALLY pissed me off. So an Xbox One is only $329.99 with this promo (of course you need to spend the points on something else), making it hard to justify my PS4.

My only concern is games that keep being below 1080p, but other than that there's really no Sony exclusives that I care about.

Do what makes you happy. If you can't justify that PS4 price hike but can however see yourself spending the money on that Xbone then do just that. That's rather cheap when considering the full retail price. What city are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Platy

CANADIAN GAF !

I got a Skylanders WiiU bundle and I want to trade it for some credit to buy random Mario for WiiU

Anyone knows a good store in Toronto ?

or sell it ... anyone wants a cheap WiiU Skylanders ? =P

Those are good deals. Nice to see next gen games fall down in price before too long. Once Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition falls to $30, I'll bite. Hopefully this trend continues with games that are released post-Canadian-price-hike.

I for one am absolutely waiting for a price drop on the PS4 version of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

Layth

Same here. I'm finding the price hike totally off putting.

Just watch when/if the Canadian dollar climbs back up they won't be so quick to lower the prices like they were with raising them.

Grimsen

I for one am absolutely waiting for a price drop on the PS4 version of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

It was on sale at Target for 35$ a week or so after it came out. Since the E3 deals I've been checking for deals like a hawk.
The recent price hike has simply doubled my resolve.

Zing

Banned
I love the place. We have nothing really like it in Ottawa (The Blue Gryphon aspires in that direction, but has a ways to go yet), so despite the Ebay-inspired pricing, I gleefully shop there every time I'm in T.O. The staff have always been really helpful and friendly to this 55 year old geezer that comes stumbling into their store wide-eyed and drooling, and I've found all kinds of cool stuff there I haven't been able to find elsewhere... and besides, actually seeing/handling an item before paying for it (as opposed to Ebay, say) is worth a premium to me regardless.

I think anyone who loves video games will find the place worth a visit; at least they should drop by and judge for themselves...
My experience was horrible. They are supposed to open at 11. I arrived at 11. Store closed, no one around. I wait 40 minutes. I post on their facebook page asking if the store is opening that day. Just when I was about to give up and go home, someone shambles up and opens the store. No explanation, no apology. My facebook post was deleted with no response. I go in and they have to dig through boxes of absolutely filthy cables just to find an AV cable for a GameCube I want to buy. The only controller they have is dirty and part of the rubber is worn off. I want a GBA system. They only have one and it looks like a knife was run across the screen. Prices were far above Ebay for NES games. Much cheaper to buy from Ebay even with shipping costs, and you get carts that look mint instead of the random stock they have.

It was my worst game store experience in my life.

Returners

Alright YMMV I preordered Infamous from EB way back before the price hike, and they had jacked the price up.

I was just talking to the teller when picking up my copy and he adjusted the price to 79.99 which was before the hike.

So basically if you preordered Infamous at EB before 21st Jan you might be able to get the old price.

Top Bottom