• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

chrono01

Nope, no MH. Also, EBGames STILL hasn't shipped my Wireless Gold Headset. I sent them an email and everything.

I really don't want to have to call them, but I will tomorrow if I need to. Seriously disappointed in them.

the3ye

Why did amazon choose canada post to deliver destiny bundle is beyond me. "11am attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up". I was home at that time. Nobody showed at my door, I don't see any notices. Now it's trasfered to post office and beeing prepard for pickup. Postman didn't bother taking it at all. And their TV ads about delivery in person just make me mad.
Now I have to show up tomorrow, when it was scheduled for today. Is it pointless to contact amazon about it? My order page states they guarantee that I receive it today

Firestorm

Why did amazon choose canada post to deliver destiny bundle is beyond me. "11am attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up". I was home at that time. Nobody showed at my door, I don't see any notices. Now it's trasfered to post office and beeing prepard for pickup. Postman didn't bother taking it at all. And their TV ads about delivery in person just make me mad.
Now I have to show up tomorrow, when it was scheduled for today. Is it pointless to contact amazon about it? My order page states they guarantee that I receive it today
Which is a lot better than UPS/FedEx/Purolator saying they delivered it... to their pickup depot in bumfuck nowhere.

Jinto

Which is a lot better than UPS/FedEx/Purolator saying they delivered it... to their pickup depot in bumfuck nowhere.

Yep, at least with Canada Post you can go pick it up on your own time the next day or that evening, rather than waiting for it the day after just to have the exact same thing happen again.

Never had that problem before. OTOH, I regularly have issues with CP saying they attempted to deliver but they certainly didn't! I know, it's just my experience and not all CP drivers are like that, but when my driver is one of those shitheads, I don't care about the rest of CP. I care about the lazy asshole that won't come to my door and as far as I'm concerned, that is the sum of my experiences with CP so I don't bother to differentiate.

Yep, at least with Canada Post you can go pick it up on your own time the next day or that evening, rather than waiting for it the day after just to have the exact same thing happen again.

You can request them to keep it at the depot rather than sending it out.

jholmes

I would also take Canada Post's fuckups over UPS's fuckups any day of the week. Count yourself lucky, I say. Canada Post should knock on the door and give you your package, sure. But I've found mailmen generally do that for me -- not always -- but UPS will never ever do it under any circumstances.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I caught the Canada Post guy trying to stick "the notice" on my door today approximately less than one second after ringing my doorbell. He already had the notice ready. I opened the door as he tried to stick it on since I was right by it. Very shady.

Personally I've modified my address with Amazon so that they send all my stuff with Canada Post instead of UPS! UPS are good for businesses and maybe with Apple deliveries cause they are express and guaranteed delivery before 12 PM, while with Amazon I'd wait all day for them then leave at 7pm to come home to a missed delivery notice left at 7:30! With Canada Post they have a fixed window for deliveries and even if I wasn't home I know I can pick my shipment up the following afternoon and that's it!
Still Canada post have their hiccups and they screw up sometimes, but they're my preferred courier!

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I caught the Canada Post guy trying to stick "the notice" on my door today approximately less than one second after ringing my doorbell. He already had the notice ready. I opened the door as he tried to stick it on since I was right by it. Very shady.

Shady? He just assumed no one was going to be home. Its just human nature - maybe he had a string of non answers that day leading up to you or something.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Shady? He just assumed no one was going to be home. Its just human nature - maybe he had a string of non answers that day leading up to you or something.

Good point, but I would have been upset if I wasn't right by the door and he left with my copy of Destiny. I've also had the displeasure of being home for a delivery and somehow missing it.

I received my regular edition PS4 Destiny from FS at 10 am, PS3 + 4 Ghost Editions from Walmart before noon—all delivered through Canada Post. Lucky.

The fact that I would've had my copy of Destiny if the CP guy actually went to the correct house just makes me even madder. I don't understand how he got the wrong house when the address was written correctly on all three notices and my neighbourhood got new number plates to make them easier to see.

Oh well. I will have it when I get home from school, so at least I have something to look forward to.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I too prefer Canada Post way over UPS. Maybe I just have an awesome mailman?

Most of my stuff gets put into the package section of our community mailbox. For the stuff that doesn't fit, if I'm not at home it gets sent to the post office at the SDM near my house where I can pick it up when I get home from work.

UPS, on the other hand, left a $400 espresso machine sitting on my porch all day.

Kalren

Personally I've modified my address with Amazon so that they send all my stuff with Canada Post instead of UPS! UPS are good for businesses and maybe with Apple deliveries cause they are express and guaranteed delivery before 12 PM, while with Amazon I'd wait all day for them then leave at 7pm to come home to a missed delivery notice left at 7:30! With Canada Post they have a fixed window for deliveries and even if I wasn't home I know I can pick my shipment up the following afternoon and that's it!
Still Canada post have their hiccups and they screw up sometimes, but they're my preferred courier!

How do you get Amazon to always use Canada post? That's something I would prefer all the time.

Got my copy of Destiny. Sold it for 59.99. Not bad.

I also prefer Canada Post. Most reliable for me. With the other ones, especially living in a building, you never know what you get. Also fucking UPS comes late as hell sometimes. Purolator is straight garbage. Fed Ex is just mad spotty.

the3ye

Any place to buy white vertical stand in Canada?
It's nowhere to be found...
oh and BB shhipped my PS4 Ghost Edition today!

Tapejara

Throw me in with the "Canada Post is better" group. It's just the convenience factor of not having to answer the door or being able to go out and hope no one stole the package. I've had one hiccup with Canada Post in the past, but it was easily resolved.

kasane

Yeah my canada post guy is a fucking champ

Always somehow arrives at the same time

Calls my intercom and sice i order a lot he pretty much knows me already

Since EB couldn't fulfill my Ghost Edition preorder, I kept an eye on the Ghost Edition page on both BB and FS!
Well last night all of a sudden I found them listing ONE piece up for grabs! I snagged it and it got shipped today :D
Thought I'd share the good news :)

i-Jest

Since EB couldn't fulfill my Ghost Edition preorder, I kept an eye on the Ghost Edition page on both BB and FS!
Well last night all of a sudden I found them listing ONE piece up for grabs! I snagged it and it got shipped today :D
Thought I'd share the good news :)

Congrats Guardian.

ElNino

I would also take Canada Post's fuckups over UPS's fuckups any day of the week. Count yourself lucky, I say. Canada Post should knock on the door and give you your package, sure. But I've found mailmen generally do that for me -- not always -- but UPS will never ever do it under any circumstances.
This. The only time UPS will ever knock on the door is if they need to collect their absurd brokerage fee. Otherwise they will just drop the package at my door and (sometimes) ring the door bell before running back to their truck. It's amazing that I've had nothing stolen yet.

curb

Banned
I seem to have bad luck with Best Buy and Canada Post. Out of my last three preorders, two have been rather slow. My PS4 shipped early on a Friday and got to me on the next Tuesday. My TLoU shipped on a Tuesday and got to me over a week later on the Wednesday.

It's just frustrating because I live a two-hour drive from the distribution centre in Mississauga.

espher

I remember catching the guy doing the deliveries at my place doing that exact thing (after several previous non-deliveries) when I was home when I was a student taking a bunch of night classes. He just said he assumed that nobody was home because it was the middle of the day and there was no vehicle in my driveway.

To this credit, once he knew there was a chance I was home during the day he would always check. Sometimes they just need to know.

My Destiny pre-order delivery update (from a warehouse that is literally an hour away) has now been bumped to September 12th instead of September 12th. Still sheer incompetence from Canada Post (the shittiest company in Canada) but hey! Progress!

Magnus

Sure it's worth it. It's just a day or two.

Though the PSN/eshop card sale at Target may work out to a better deal in the end. Especially when it comes to PSN since there is no tax on the cards or the store. That's an incredible savings.

my $30-$35 savings per game makes it worth the wait.

First off, it's over $20 in savings with the added convenience of not having to leave your house. Secondly, most of us ordered more than just a couple of games, so multiply that by the number of games. Does saving hundreds of dollars make more sense to you?

$70 vs $49, seems worth it to me. Then again, I preordered in store and got the 30% off deal because the signage said you could do it in store as well as online. They took down the sign immediately after I pointed it out and are honoring all my in store preorders with the discount.

If you were really unsure though, just buy a copy day 1 at retail, return the copy that gets shipped to you with your retail receipt.

"20 dollars a lot of money, today you save 20, then tomorrow you save another 20, then you go to the EBGames and buy something else!"

totally worth it.

paying

$50
\o/

instead of

$70
:'(

oh yeah!

For 20$, it's worth it and let's face it, I received my game MAXIMUM the day after release day so it isn't that much of a heartache.

And if you want it on Day 1 and have it pre-ordered at BB/FS, you pick it up at retail and you return your copy when you receive it. You still save and you still get your game on Day 1.

I don't know about you, but I am not rich, and with the E3 deal you save 21 bucks per game, seems worth it to me. With Best Buy I have received my games day one. I buy a lot of games new so saving 20 bucks is a big savings.

so I ordered my copy of Destiny from FS with Paypal but switched to digital with the Target PSN sale. when I return Destiny, will they refund me personally or my Paypal account?

it's not just $5-15. I have 22 games pre-ordered over the next 2ish years. that's a lot of money saved on games I will probably want at release.

Points noted. The experience of playing on my own terms on launch night with friends, with no risks of delays, wrong (French) versions, damaged packaging, etc. is worth the extra $10-20 for me.

And yeah, if I ever find myself in the situation where it's late, nabbing it from retail and returning the late shipped copy works.

Also, trading in is a godsend. I can't give that up. I paid exactly $0 for Destiny. Couldn't do that online.

Come on FutureShop!!! If it ain't there by the time I get home tonight...well, I guess I'll politely wait until tomorrow, but still, come on!!

FrsDvl

My tracking for Destiny still hasn't updated, last scan was Sunday in Richmond.. Was expected to be delivered yesterday in Edmonton. Not looking too good.

My White PS4 was 'processed at local facility' this morning. Given the weather in Calgary at the moment, I do not expect delivery today :(

Snow in September... the fuck outta here!

Exactly. Post office is down the street. UPS warehouse I way the fuck out by the airport. I honestly wouldn't mind if all my packages just went straight to the post office, and I would pick them up on the way home from work

Congrats Guardian.

Thanks Boss :)

My tracking for Destiny still hasn't updated, last scan was Sunday in Richmond.. Was expected to be delivered yesterday in Edmonton. Not looking too good.

Mike finally updated near 1am from local facility and it got delivered 15 minutes ago!

My White PS4 was 'processed at local facility' this morning. Given the weather in Calgary at the moment, I do not expect delivery today :(

Yeah, I woke up this morning to basically a January-style snow storm :(
But hey there is hope, my white PS4 just got delivered by Canada Post!

I just get stuff shipped to my work. Always gets delivered.

EDIT: Willing to pay $40 for a $50 eShop code. Won't be able to make it to Target before the sale ends.

DJ_Lae

UPS is the best for me as it always comes around 5:30 or 6 in the evening. Always.

Which is weird because I've seen my delivery guy in the area while waiting for my bus to work in the morning. I don't know if he goes out of his way to make sure my stuff comes at exactly that time, or it's a happy coincidence, but it's great.

Canada Post delivery times are a total crapshoot.

Banned
Spoke to management of ebgames. There was a misprint of labels but the discs are in English (she unsealed it to show me, and showed me the email she received from management). They are receiving English sleeves this week and will call people who wanted them.

At least I get to play the game tonight.

Exactly. Post office is down the street. UPS warehouse I way the fuck out by the airport. I honestly wouldn't mind if all my packages just went straight to the post office, and I would pick them up on the way home from work

I don't know if I am a special case, but now it looks like my city (Quebec) has several closer drop centers for UPS. It started a few months ago. They now drop it at a pharmacy, even closer than the pharmacy where I need to go get my packages with Canada Post. I now absolutely don't mind UPS.

pr0cs

Mine has been 'out for delivery' since 9:15am.
I am hoping the fucked up roads and traffic due to snow delays him till after work.
I went home at lunch to see if they were there but no dice, now crossing fingers they don't show up till later this afternoon when I'm home.
I am dreading finding the "go pick your shit up at a post office location tomorrow" notice.

iiicon

Seems like the Microsoft Store deal on the Sunset Overdrive bundle is dead. Good thing I put my order in the other day; already have the $60 in XBL codes and Destiny should arrive by Friday.

m23

Anyone here in Toronto who wants to go to X14? I have a couple spare tickets that I'd rather not waste.
It's free.

Anyone here in Toronto who wants to go to X14? I have a couple spare tickets that I'd rather not waste.
It's free.

... Oh what the fuck that's today? God damn it. Ah wow I guess it's too late now though. Plus I have class early tomorrow morning... And I really want to keep playing Destiny.

the3ye

I love you Canada Post!
Destiny Ghost Edition
08:34: CP tracking: item out for delivery
10:45: postman shows up: "sorry, nothing for you today"
11:08: CP tracking: attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up.
Amazing....at least I can pick up my bundle today.... Thanks

Top Bottom