• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Firestorm

Can I just take a moment to say how pissed off I am as a Canadian Pokemon fan right now.

First there's what Nintendo has been doing with the event Pokemon lately. Who's stupid idea was it to have the mega stones for Heracross and Pincer at Gamestop only in the states?

Sure we're getting it thought the Pokemon trainer newsletter, but later and lord only knows if we'll get both codes and not just one. And good luck getting it if you're a Canadian who wasn't signed up before September.

Any now? Shiny Gangar and Diancie events are coming and they are just like the Megastone event where you have to go to Gamestop and get the download code to get them.

So how are Canadian's going to get these codes? Who knows they haven't said jack about it yet which is really pissing me off. Did they forget they have Wi-fi distribution for event Pokemon these days? I thought the days of us missing out on event Pokemon where over :(
Are you sure EB Games doesn't have it? I'm so lazy that I keep forgetting to even get the Worlds downloads but we had all the other GameStop promos at EB Games...

DaBoss

Why are they now using serial codes instead of the local connection thing they used at EB Games for the Gen V games? (Not sure about Gen IV)

Stage On

I don't understand. These won't be coming to Gamestop and EB Games stores in Canada? All the ones from Gen V and VI have so far.... :(

Also, what were the last couple of event ones and the next ones coming up? I'm out of the loop.

For current events you can always check http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/calendar/

And you you mean Gen 4 and 5 not 6. We got stuff like Celeb and Shiny Suicune, Entei and Raikou for Heart Gold/Soul Silver in 2011 then Keldeo for Black and White in 2012 and then finally finally Meloetta then Shiny Giratina, Palkia and Dialga in 2013.

The problem is in 2014 they've changed the distribution method in store as seen in the recent Megastone give away for Pinser and Heracross. Instead of using the Wi-fi at the store to download the Event Pokemon onto your cart they've switched to physical cards that have a download code on them.

This can be a problem if you have both versions of the game and would like to get a copy of the event Pokemon (or Megastone) in each since some stores would limit it to one per customer where as before you could simply swamp the carts in your ds and download away

Are you sure EB Games doesn't have it? I'm so lazy that I keep forgetting to even get the Worlds downloads but we had all the other GameStop promos at EB Games...

Considering they didn't have the download codes for the last event in Canada why would they have them this time around? It'd help if they clarified that yes the event includes us but when I asked this is the response they gave me

Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support!

We are happy to see the community actively looking for news about future content. Sadly, we are not able to provide any details on plans in the works, or releases in the future. To stay up to date with all the latest news, please check the news section of pokemon.com regularly.

Thank you again for contacting us!

Sincerely,

Pokémon Support Team

Considering how often Canada has been screwed over in the past for event distribution * I don't think that wanting a simple conformation that yes we will be getting these is asking too much.

* Such as not getting any of Gen 3 events unless you happened to go to fan expo the one year Or all the event stuff for Platinum like the Regigigas that was used to unlock a hidden Regirock, Regice and Registeel or the Arceus that you could transfer to Heart Gold/Soul silver to unlocked a hidden event

i-Jest

Can I just take a moment to say how pissed off I am as a Canadian Pokemon fan right now.

First there's what Nintendo has been doing with the event Pokemon lately. Who's stupid idea was it to have the mega stones for Heracross and Pincer at Gamestop only in the states?

Sure we're getting it thought the Pokemon trainer newsletter, but later and lord only knows if we'll get both codes and not just one. And good luck getting it if you're a Canadian who wasn't signed up before September.

Any now? Shiny Gangar and Diancie events are coming and they are just like the Megastone event where you have to go to Gamestop and get the download code to get them.

So how are Canadian's going to get these codes? Who knows they haven't said jack about it yet which is really pissing me off. Did they forget they have Wi-fi distribution for event Pokemon these days? I thought the days of us missing out on event Pokemon where over :(

I got these event Pokemon but not the stones. Don't know who's in charge of making these decisions but they're doing an unsatisfactory job from my point of view. I wouldn't mind if it was just some lack luster pokemon with okay stats to celebrate whatever. I haven't played X and Y in a while so I'm a little out of the loop. However, the event pokemon being offered are used in competitive play. They have items that can change the flow of competitive play. To limit those items to one location within a region is unfair in my opinion.

EDIT:

Tried to make an account on the official site but it was a no go. Got some error.

Stage On

I got these event Pokemon but not the stones. Don't know who's in charge of making these decisions but they're doing an unsatisfactory job from my point of view. I wouldn't mind if it was just some lack luster pokemon with okay stats to celebrate whatever. I haven't played X and Y in a while so I'm a little out of the loop. However, the event pokemon being offered are used in competitive play. They have items that can change the flow of competitive play. To limit those items to one location within a region is unfair in my opinion.

EDIT:

Tried to make an account on the official site but it was a no go. Got some error.

Where you signed up to the Pokemon Trainer newsletter prior to the start of September? If you where they will be e-mailing the codes on the 16th. If not well, your best bet is to either ask around on fourms to see if someone in the states can help you get some codes or hope some other Canadian ends up with a spare they can give you.

Now I'm signed up for that newsletter but frankly I don't like the fact that its restricted. Why shouldn't someone be able to sign up NOW and be able to get the code, it's not like everyone is as plugged in as myself for following the news on this stuff, heck sometimes I don't even find out about stuff until a few days after the announcement like with the upcoming events :(

In my opinion these event items and Pokemon should be for everyone, not just locked to a newsletter. Sadly I have a bad feeling that's how we'll get getting the Shiny Gengar and Diancie assuming they remember to give them to us at all. I really hope I'm wrong about this and I can just go to my local eb games to acquire them but I'm not holding my breath about that since they are being so radio silent about the issue.

Are there any places left online to preorder the Batmobile Edition of Arkham Knight?

USA or Canada. Amazon and Gamestop USA are both sold out. Fuck.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone that ordered Curtain Call from Best Buy get their card charged?

Called support and they told me that most likely this will happen on Monday. I've resigned myself that I will get the game late as fuck though. :(

khaaan

Anyone from BoardGame-GAF here? Is there a good online store to buy from? Specifically I'm looking to get Epic Spell Wars (which should be around $30) but when I checked Amazon.ca it was $40, I can't seem to find it anywhere else for a price that doesn't go insane after shipping. My friend from Toronto who introduced the game to me said he got his from Snake and Lattes for $30 + tax but it's currently tough for me to head down there.

Edit: So I just found out Snakes & Latte's would ship it for me at a grand total of $40.45, is that my best bet?

Anyone from BoardGame-GAF here? Is there a good online store to buy from? Specifically I'm looking to get Epic Spell Wars (which should be around $30) but when I checked Amazon.ca it was $40, I can't seem to find it anywhere else for a price that doesn't go insane after shipping. My friend from Toronto who introduced the game to me said he got his from Snake and Lattes for $30 + tax but it's currently tough for me to head down there.

Edit: So I just found out Snakes & Latte's would ship it for me at a grand total of $40.45, is that my best bet?

Go Meeplemart
http://www.meeplemart.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=epic%20spell%20wars

401 games has it cheaper, but their stock varies and I don't think they ship. http://www.401games.ca

zroid

Banned
Deal is dead now, but I finally bought a Wii U Pro Controller, from Loblaws of all places. No tax today and in the flyer they've advertised 5000 PC points for every $40 spent on video games and accessories.

5000 points is equivalent to $5, so it was kind of like getting it for $40+tax. I'm probably going to regret this when it's like $30 on black friday, but I thought enough was enough and I needed to get one of these. It sucks when I have a friend over and I don't have a proper controller to give them for Mario Kart.

Deal is dead now, but I finally bought a Wii U Pro Controller, from Loblaws of all places. No tax today and in the flyer they've advertised 5000 PC points for every $40 spent on video games and accessories.

5000 points is equivalent to $5, so it was kind of like getting it for $40+tax. I'm probably going to regret this when it's like $30 on black friday, but I thought enough was enough and I needed to get one of these. It sucks when I have a friend over and I don't have a proper controller to give them for Mario Kart.

I still need to buy one myself, out of curiosity what do you play MK8 with?

zroid

Banned
I still need to buy one myself, out of curiosity what do you play MK8 with?

I just use the GamePad myself, but I've been giving classic controllers/wiimote-nunchuks to guests. They work, but not really ideal...

Mostly I just play off-tv when I'm alone though. That might change now, as I really like the feel of the WUPC. :p

DaBoss

I really do need some WUPCs. That 80 hour battery life is very attractive. I hope we eventually get a deal like the US one last year or something.

Signed up before September? Can I get details on this? I'm a bit confused because I apparently have that Pokemon trainer account but didn't turn on the email news and stuff option until today ....

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I had to call Best Buy to get them to charge it. Turns out it was placed in a shipment with Sunset Overdrive for some reason, so it would have shipped along side that had I not called them.

They have told me twice that I will get a notice on Monday morning. If I end up getting the game late...

Xenoflare

Uhhh have any one of you guys here actually seen a Vita BL2 bundle? Because the stores around me are all empty since the beginning of summer.

I actually would like a Vita slim, I wouldn't mind it even if it's just a standalone console, but Sony is completely silent on this.

"PSVita isn't fading away".... right.

Sajjaja

Uhhh have any one of you guys here actually seen a Vita BL2 bundle? Because the stores around me are all empty since the beginning of summer.

I actually would like a Vita slim, I wouldn't mind it even if it's just a standalone console, but Sony is completely silent on this.

I haven't seen a Vita in stores for months now that I think about it.

Stage On

Signed up before September? Can I get details on this? I'm a bit confused because I apparently have that Pokemon trainer account but didn't turn on the email news and stuff option until today ....

Heracross and Pinsir don't come with any held items. Keep checking your email for a Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter sometime in September containing a special code that you can use to get Mega Stones for the Pokémon to hold! When these Pokémon are holding the right Mega Stone, they will be able to Mega Evolve during battle, making them more powerful than ever before. Only Pokémon Trainer Club members will receive the newsletter. You’ll need to have opted in to receiving the newsletter in your Pokémon Trainer Club account preferences by September 1, 2014.

Heracross and Pinsir don't come with any held items. Keep checking your email for a Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter sometime in September containing a special code that you can use to get Mega Stones for the Pokémon to hold! When these Pokémon are holding the right Mega Stone, they will be able to Mega Evolve during battle, making them more powerful than ever before. Only Pokémon Trainer Club members will receive the newsletter. You’ll need to have opted in to receiving the newsletter in your Pokémon Trainer Club account preferences by September 1, 2014.

What? This is fucking dumb. I don't remember even being asked to sign up for any emails.

zroid

Banned
mGKFndD.png

(they actually removed the "release date" from shipping status, probably because it often didn't paint an accurate picture anyway.)

jholmes

mGKFndD.png

(they actually removed the "release date" from shipping status, probably because it often didn't paint an accurate picture anyway.)

I just checked and I see the same, plus in the box at the right of my order status it says I've been charged. No email yet, though.

i-Jest

What city are you in?

That sucks then! I didn't switch that receive emails thing until last night... I hadn't ticked it because I was getting too many emails from all sorts of places already....

Also try

http://www.solidboardgamers.com/mobile/default.aspx

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...I didn't get any shipping notice or anything for FF:CC

Still, it's supposed to be out Tuesday, and despite my dissatisfaction with my BB purchases, they have always been on release day thus far.

Stage On

What? This is fucking dumb. I don't remember even being asked to sign up for any emails.

Yeah it's pretty silly method :( Given how useless the Trainer club has been up to now it's only pure dumb luck that I'd already signed up for the newsletter

That sucks then! I didn't switch that receive emails thing until last night... I hadn't ticked it because I was getting too many emails from all sorts of places already....

Well at least you'll be set if this is the method they give out the next few event Pokemon in October

Walmart Anniversary flyer is out. Sept 18-24.

PS4 TLOU bundle $399
NHL 15, Madden 15, Watch_Dogs, MK8 $49.94 each
$50 GC with XB1 non-Kinect $399 or 360 4GB $129
Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL $159
360/PS3 controller, X12 headset $34 each

BF4, Batman AO, CoD Ghosts, Black Flag, Just Dance 2014 $14.94 each (last-gen versions)
GTA V, Watch_Dogs (last gen), Wind Waker HD, South Partk $19.94 each
3D World, Titanfall, Thief, Wolfenstein, inFAMOUS $29.94 each

Top Bottom