• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Xenoflare

I realized that I haven't been taxed on the PSN store for the longest time (no tax on the PSN cards nor tax upon checkout from the PSN store)

Obviously I would like it that way, but apperantly other people do get taxed, I also have a legitimate address on my account.

What could be the cause of this? Are the taxes only applicable if you use debit/credit cards on the PSN store?

I realized that I haven't been taxed on the PSN store for the longest time (no tax on the PSN cards nor tax upon checkout from the PSN store)

Obviously I would like it that way, but apperantly other people do get taxed, I also have a legitimate address on my account.

What could be the cause of this? Are the taxes only applicable if you use debit/credit cards on the PSN store?

I haven't been taxed since they were hacked a few years ago.

I think they must be well aware of this by now.

Xenoflare

I haven't been taxed since they were hacked a few years ago.

I think they must be well aware of this by now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it would stay that way, it's perfect for $19.99 and $49.99 games since the cards are $20 and $50. I also snagged Soul Sacrifice Delta that way when it was on sale. The game was $17.19 and I had $18.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, just noticed you can get $10 off 3DS games right now on futureshop's website. You have to buy 2 games, but you can add "dummy" pre-order games like Tekken that will never release, and $10 will be deducted from the cheaper game of the two. Bought Layton VS Phoenix Wright for $25 that way, as Best-Buy had cancelled my E3 pre-order for absolutely no reason...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Hey, just noticed you can get $10 off 3DS games right now on futureshop's website. You have to buy 2 games, but you can add "dummy" pre-order games like Tekken that will never release, and $10 will be deducted from the cheaper game of the two. Bought Layton VS Phoenix Wright for $25 that way, as Best-Buy had cancelled my E3 pre-order for absolutely no reason...

Theatrhythm Curtain Call is out tomorrow. Highly recommend it to all 3DS owners.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I have 3 Super Smash Bros Demo 3ds codes if anyone still needs one.

I'll take one :D

Edit: a speedy delivery from Jinto. Thanks for the hookup!

-epidemic-

Neo Member

I haven't either... I think it's because they have no 'physical store' so do not have to charge tax under Canadian law.

I haven't either... I think it's because they have no 'physical store' so do not have to charge tax under Canadian law.
But Nintendo and Xbox don't have stores either in Canada and they charge tax (well I think Microsoft does, they did when I had a 360, not sure about the Xbox One.

I mean there are Microsoft stores, but Sony stores exist as well

Xenoflare

But Nintendo and MS applies the tax. There was a time where MS points cards were taxed too.

I got my PS3 in mid 2010 and I actually remember being taxed on the store. I always used the $20/$50 cards.

lupinko

Any deals on Wii Mini and 2DS? I'm going home to Vancouver on the 23rd for 12 days before I head back to Japan.

I have to pick those up for a Japanese friend who collects game consoles as a hobby.

Xenoflare

Any deals on Wii Mini and 2DS? I'm going home to Vancouver on the 23rd for 12 days before I head back to Japan.

I have to pick those up for a Japanese friend who collects game consoles as a hobby.

Appreantly people have been seeing 2DS at $99 in Walmart. Don't quote me on that though since I'm not too sure.

zroid

Banned

I don't think there is any such law. The most likely explanation imo is Sony is billing you from a US address so they don't have to charge Canadian taxes. Nintendo for example bills you from NoC, which is in Vancouver.

I am guessing that before the PSN hack they billed you from wherever their Canadian offices are located.

Jinto

I was at Staples a couple of days ago and they had the Wii Mini for $60, but it's completely YMMV, since all their gaming stuff is on clearance. Other than that, check Kijiji. You can probably get one for really cheap.

Ventara

Thanks for the heads up! $25 for PLvsPW is even better than the E3 deal since they had it at $45 then.

Jinto

Anyone else having difficulty accessing their Best Buy order page? I've been getting error messages for the last few days.

So I can get Theatrhythm on there, add a more expensive game (Like Persona Q), have Theatrhythm ship tomorrow, then cancel Persona Q and I'm all good?

Sounds good to me.

all my ps4 games are currently digital since they dont charge no tax

I wanted to go partially digital but discounted retail copies for $42 tax-in was better than digital $70 with no tax :(

Anyone else having difficulty accessing their Best Buy order page? I've been getting error messages for the last few days.

I have a certain order that I never was able to access since I made the order, when I return a game I can't print a receipt so I just print a shipping notice and they look it up on their system. This order is more than $2000 if it makes in difference!

Jinto

I have a certain order that I never was able to access since I made the order, when I return a game I can't print a receipt so I just print a shipping notice and they look it up on their system. This order is more than $2000 if it makes in difference!

Yeah, I just tried checking my other orders, and those came up fine. For some reason, only the 2 orders over $1000 are giving me error messages. It's weird. I used to be able to access them fine before. I just wanted to check the status of Theatrhythm.

lupinko

Appreantly people have been seeing 2DS at $99 in Walmart. Don't quote me on that though since I'm not too sure.

Good to know thanks!

I don't think there is any such law. The most likely explanation imo is Sony is billing you from a US address so they don't have to charge Canadian taxes. Nintendo for example bills you from NoC, which is in Vancouver.

I am guessing that before the PSN hack they billed you from wherever their Canadian offices are located.

There wasn't any tax before the PSN hack, and iirc SCEA's Canada branch is not actually in Canada, it's still in California. It's all centralized unlike Nintendo and maybe Microsoft?

I was at Staples a couple of days ago and they had the Wii Mini for $60, but it's completely YMMV, since all their gaming stuff is on clearance. Other than that, check Kijiji. You can probably get one for really cheap.

Good to know that staples is still doing clearance. I'd buy new because it's being bought for collection purposes.

zroid

Banned
There wasn't any tax before the PSN hack, and iirc SCEA's Canada branch is not actually in Canada, it's still in California. It's all centralized unlike Nintendo and maybe Microsoft?

Yeah that would make sense. There definitely was tax before the hack though, lol. I would know since I paid a lot of it. >_>

Anybody here had experience lining up at a Apple store for iPhone launch? My online preorder is 3-4 weeks to ship so I'm thinking about trying my luck in-store but I'm worried about their stock being minimal and ending up without the exact phone I want!
Like if I wanna be safe what time should I go?

kasane

Anybody here had experience lining up at a Apple store for iPhone launch? My online preorder is 3-4 weeks to ship so I'm thinking about trying my luck in-store but I'm worried about their stock being minimal and ending up without the exact phone I want!
Are apple launches still that crazy?

You should camp if so :p

Returners

Which store are you thinking of lining up at?

So... if I do that, the 10 dollars gets applied to the first item that's shipped?

khaaan

Best Buy has the same deal going on right now but with the restriction of the games being over $34.99. FS probably has the same restriction.

KingSlime

Has anyone seen the new Mario 3D World Wii U system bundle in the wild yet? The official word was that retailers would have it mid-September, but I haven't seen it listed online yet.

I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but obviously the more popular colors (ie everything but gold) and hard drives (16gb) go quick. basically, the farther back you are, the more expensive a phone you'll be getting. which is fine, if that's what you were wanting. but yeah, it might be that ugly ass gold.

Dazzler

last launch I have any physical experience with was iPhone 4. I got to Pacific Centre in Vancouver at 6am on day of launch and the lineup was about 400 people deep. The guys at the front had been lined up for about 24 hours

Online really is your best bet

last launch I have any physical experience with was iPhone 4. I got to Pacific Centre in Vancouver at 6am on day of launch and the lineup was about 400 people deep. The guys at the front had been lined up for about 24 hours

I remember being in that line. Good times. Absolutely awful exp in some ways but even with that huge line I came out with a phone.

iPhone lines tend to be much harsher than iPad lines, in my experience. In Montreal last year I showed up a little under an hour early, was maybe 20 people back, but the Apple Store folks were super organized; they basically came to every person in line, gave a card verifying the color/capacity wanted, and registered it on their work iPhone. Then they followed that up with the free coffee and snacks cart. Virtually every person in line knew that they were going to get what was on the card, and once they were "open" the line moved ridiculously fast.

I'd love to believe those factors carry over to the phone launch, but, by comparison, I don't think that Apple Store had any 5S stock that day. Ridiculous fees just don't seem to get in the way of people buying the phones first. So I really wouldn't be surprised if 6+ stock in the main stores is extremely, PS3 style limited.

Lexxism

Has anyone seen the new Mario 3D World Wii U system bundle in the wild yet? The official word was that retailers would have it mid-September, but I haven't seen it listed online yet.

Just wait patiently. It seems like Canadian retailers take their sweet time for their pre-orders to go live.

Which store are you thinking of lining up at?

Chinook Mall, Calgary.
Are you going to line up somewhere?

I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but obviously the more popular colors (ie everything but gold) and hard drives (16gb) go quick. basically, the farther back you are, the more expensive a phone you'll be getting. which is fine, if that's what you were wanting. but yeah, it might be that ugly ass gold.

I'm basically looking for your most undesirable phone lol
128GB Gold 6+

Online really is your best bet

I always chose online and I always had my phone/iPad the day of, but this time it was chaotic and the servers crapped on so many people including me and I don't wait until late October to get my hands on the phone :)

Ugh, still no sign of the Batman Arkham Knight Batmobile Edition at any Canadian online retailers. EB in store aren't taking pre-orders yet and they don't even know if they will get it.

Anyone able to prove me wrong?

GameStop and Amazon USA are the only ones who got them and are all sold out.

espher

The price at Meeple is fantastic, way better than I thought I was going to find. Just placed an order, thanks!

I was introduced to Meeplemart after I bought Agricola for $80 at my FLGS and went online to see they had it + Farmers + Goodies + two of the expansion decks for $108 or w/e it was.

I have bought a grand total of zero board games at my FLGS since. Great online shop and the staff has been fantastic.

My friend bought a Last of Us ps4 a couple weeks ago at best buy. Since Walmart has them for $399 this week, can he go to BB and get a price correction? I know they'll do it if their own price changes in the 30 days after purchase, but i dont know about other stores.

Top Bottom