• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So I've convinced myself I want to leave Manitoba after I go to and finish University. Where is a good place to move? I just want somewhere safe, affordable, and with lots of career opportunities (if such a place exists, lol). I don't really care if there's lots of entertainment nearby or special events happening. After living in Winnipeg I just want somewhere I feel safe (taking buses in anywhere but the south region of Winnipeg is super sketchy feeling).

I was told Saskatchewan would fit the description, But I thought I'd ask GAF. Any recommendations?

Ottawa actually sounds like the perfect place for you, very safe, very affordable and enough jobs if you're in the high tech industry.

We even have our own Neogaf thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682029

DJ_Lae

Yeah, Ottawa sounds like a good fit. I like Victoria too, although it's not what you'd call affordable.

Saskatchewan was never the safest feeling place I've been - my sister lived in Regina for a while and I've never been in a Canadian city that made me more conscious of whether my doors were locked than there (except driving through East Hastings in Vancouver).

jred2k

Wal Mart Anniversary sale, PS4 is 399. Sale starts tomorrow, so if you wanna get in on this be there as soon as it opens. Our store should be getting some in tonight but they have literally been flying off the shelves for months.

The Xbox One comes with a $50 gift card, as well. It basically covers the tax in Ontario. I'm tempted to go for it at that price, but I'm probably gonna wait until Black Friday and see if there is something better available then.

suikodan

jholmes

So I've convinced myself I want to leave Manitoba after I go to and finish University. Where is a good place to move? I just want somewhere safe, affordable, and with lots of career opportunities (if such a place exists, lol). I don't really care if there's lots of entertainment nearby or special events happening. After living in Winnipeg I just want somewhere I feel safe (taking buses in anywhere but the south region of Winnipeg is super sketchy feeling).

I was told Saskatchewan would fit the description, But I thought I'd ask GAF. Any recommendations?

Saskatchewan is boring, boring, boring and has quite a bit of violent crime. The economy is booming but if you could get a well paying job in one of those fields you might as well go to Alberta.

I actually agree with these other guys about Ottawa, it's a nice town and if you can stand a winter in Winnipeg then Ottawa will be nothing, and that's really the big knock on it. It's pretty, it's quiet, it's close to other places to go and it's not really expensive to live there.

Tiktaalik

Default answer: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal.

The real best answer heavily depends on
1. What do you like to do?
2. What are you studying at university and what do you want to do after university?

If you are at all interested in outdoor activities that places Vancouver higher up in the ranking.

Man what the fuck Canada Post guy didn't even buzz my phone to tell me he was here even though I left a note with my buzzer number. Ever since the beginning of summer it's like they keep sending guys to me that just don't give a shit. Now I'm getting games late and it's not even because of BB or Amazon it's Canada Post

koopas

Sorry to interrupt all the shipping complaints, but Best Buy at Sherway Gardens had Gold Wireless headsets (black) for 59.99.

Had about five left left if anyone's interested. Not sure if this is Canada wide best buy or not. Ymmv.

LifeLike

Sorry to interrupt all the shipping complaints, but Best Buy at Sherway Gardens had Gold Wireless headsets (black) for 59.99.

Had about five left left if anyone's interested. Not sure if this is Canada wide best buy or not. Ymmv.

Bought one last week for this price and I can confirm this is a HUGE deal.

MarkusRJR

Ottawa actually sounds like the perfect place for you, very safe, very affordable and enough jobs if you're in the high tech industry.

We even have our own Neogaf thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=682029

Saskatchewan is boring, boring, boring and has quite a bit of violent crime. The economy is booming but if you could get a well paying job in one of those fields you might as well go to Alberta.

I actually agree with these other guys about Ottawa, it's a nice town and if you can stand a winter in Winnipeg then Ottawa will be nothing, and that's really the big knock on it. It's pretty, it's quiet, it's close to other places to go and it's not really expensive to live there.

Default answer: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal.

The real best answer heavily depends on
1. What do you like to do?
2. What are you studying at university and what do you want to do after university?

If you are at all interested in outdoor activities that places Vancouver higher up in the ranking.
Can't quote people on the last page due to being on mobile GAF, but thanks for all the responses. I'm surprised to hear about the crime in Sask; thought it was boring and safe. The overwhelming opinion is Ottawa (although a guy on the last page said it was expensive, housing wise).

In terms of what I want to do, I was planning to look at the job market where I want to live before I decide what to do (going to school Sept. 2015). Generally I was hoping to go into either something tech related, business, or maybe just a government job. For anyone currently living in Ottawa, what specific jobs in those fields are in demand?

Also, I probably would put Montreal as my second option between all the ones mentioned, but I'd probably need to learn french if I was to go into a government job.

Saskatchewan has become pretty far from "affordable". 10 years ago you might have been right, but it's not cheap to live here anymore. I think we have some of the highest rent in the country, in Regina anyway, and if you get out into the Oil Fields where there is a lot of work the rent is tripled or quadrupled.

There's really nothing to do here other than drink, which is why it does have one upside...it's really easy to make friends here. I have a buddy that moved here from Manitoba after his first year of college, who then eventually moved back to Winnipeg and just recently to Ottawa and he still considers Regina to be his favorite place that he's lived, but it's not a place you want to stay forever. It's a great place to live in your 20's because people here really know how to party like no other place, but it's shitty and is limited in opportunities, but it is fun. People here have a very unique sense of humor and attitude towards life, but it can get pretty self-destructive eventually if you let it.

If you're really considering it though and have any questions about Regina as a potential destination, shoot me a PM with any questions or whatever.

TechJunk

Can't quote people on the last page due to being on mobile GAF, but thanks for all the responses. I'm surprised to hear about the crime in Sask; thought it was boring and safe. The overwhelming opinion is Ottawa (although a guy on the last page said it was expensive, housing wise).

In terms of what I want to do, I was planning to look at the job market where I want to live before I decide what to do (going to school Sept. 2015). Generally I was hoping to go into either something tech related, business, or maybe just a government job. For anyone currently living in Ottawa, what specific jobs in those fields are in demand?

Also, I probably would put Montreal as my second option between all the ones mentioned, but I'd probably need to learn french if I was to go into a government job.

Ya I was the one who said it was expensive housing wise. I live in Gatineau which is just across the river (sort of like a suburb of Ottawa, and on the Quebec side). Housing is much more affordable there, to buy, as long as you don't mind the traffic and can get on by in French. Otherwise, Ottawa for sure. There's definitely some sketchier spots of town and any housing to rent will be more expensive right around the campuses. Like anything, you shop around and try to get a good deal.

For quality of life, what I always tell people about the Ottawa Gatineau region is you've got a nice big city with your usual stuff to keep you busy (restaurants, shopping, entertainment), and you've got nature with Gatineau park real close (camping, bike trails, hiking).

Sorry, don't really know about the fields in demand though, hopefully someone else can chime in. There are lots of government jobs. My brother actually works for one of the ministries, doing networking and server-related stuff and he makes decent money.

As for Montreal, I grew up there and it's an amazing city, love going back there to visit, but I personally find it too busy to live in, day to day.

Good luck with your search!

QaaQer

+ it has the highest female to male ratio in Canada.

QaaQer

Yeah, my wife just mentioned that the reason we didn't visit saskatchewan was because it had/has the highest rate of rape in Canada. I thought it was because of the biting rats.

QaaQer

oh, and in Alberta, there is some really good programs if you are looking for training that doesn't involve Universities, grants etc.

Canada has too many Uni grads apparently and not enough electricians etc. goole NAIT and/or SAIT.

Past

South Park: SoT is OOS in most stores, fuck. There's a store that has "Limited stock", but who knows if they'll be any left by the time I get there. WM stocking sucks balls.

Lexxism

I remember someone talking about the Pinsir/Heracross megastone being emailed to. Just received it now. I didn't know I subscribed to their newsletter lol

I remember someone talking about the Pinsir/Heracross megastone being emailed to. Just received it now. I didn't know I subscribed to their newsletter lol

Same, just saw it showed up in my inbox. Don't think I've ever gotten any other emails from them, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Cynar

They definitely safe drop here, which is weird - my Destiny bundled PS4, dumped it on the doorstep and knocked the door once. I was home, albeit downstairs, but there was no indication I was home so it could have just as easily sat there until I got home from work.

Though there's no way it would last that long, my place is on a fairly busy road.
Same situation. It kills me because I know that if no one is home the chance of me actually receiving what I ordered is low. ;(

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Free shipping code: TS4411

MARIO & SONIC AT THE SOCHI 2014 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES FOR WII U $4.96
https://www.thesource.ca/estore/pro...og=Online&category=WiiU_Games&product=8012231

BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS FOR WII U $4.96
https://www.thesource.ca/estore/pro...og=Online&category=WiiU_Games&product=8011188

Shown as "in-stock", but I get an "out of stock" error message when I try to add either to my cart. :/

Too bad, I really wanted to give Arkham Origins a try at that price.

stolin

Did anyone get the Pokémon Trainer Club email code for the Heracross and Pinsir Mega Stones?
Only Pokémon Trainer Club members will receive the newsletter. You’ll need to have opted in to receiving the newsletter in your Pokémon Trainer Club account preferences by September 1, 2014.
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/3ade2b4a-0c41-41ab-8572-be7e8a223084

Yeah, I posted about this in the OT4. My code didn't show up yet, and I just checked that I has fixed my email on Aug 3rd. It better show up..

i-Jest

Yep they're unique serial codes that you put into Mystery Gift. The game actually warns you that if your battery dies once you've inputted the code, you won't get the item and the code won't work again.

BAH! I still can't sign up for membership. Anyone want their codes?

Stage On

Same, just saw it showed up in my inbox. Don't think I've ever gotten any other emails from them, but I'm certainly not complaining.

What the heck is going on. I've been signed up for the e-mails from them for ages and yet I've got nothing in my inbox :(

Hamilton.

Just got back from WalMart, $150 taxes in for Xbox 360 4GB, Zelda Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D world, good deal :)

I was debating picking up Second Son instead of 3D world, but something tells me 3D world will keep its price for longer.

Top Bottom