• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Qwyjibo

FYI people on rfd are saying theirs are "shipping now" status and credit cards have been charged.
So far it seems like it's only the people who ordered when it was in stock. Not sure if the ones who ordered when it was "temporarily out of stock" (myself included) will get it. I'm hoping for the best.

Xenoflare

I got a 4s at launch because I happened to be in Thompson at the time. They had stock in every size and colour.

I would imagine S cycles would be not as enticing as a new generation of devices, but IIRC every iteration of iPhones have been refreshing the line's previous records.

Although it's a bit disappointing for the iPhone 6 to retain the same pixel density and only with 1GB of RAM, the RAM part is based on the rumor though.

Kinda difficult to justify the price for the tech that is inside, but that's just me.

MarkusRJR

So my wireless router just broke randomly. Are there any sales on one right now? I don't think I can spend more than $80 for one unless I wait for my next pay day. Any recommendations?

In downtown Montreal right now, not sure what's worse, the iPhone 6 line or the Chapters 50% off line.

Both still feel more reasonable than the last EBGames lineup I've seen, though...

mdubs

Banned
Amazon ps4 update, "in stock" orders confirmed to have been shipped. No word on all of us on backorder though obviously.

So far it seems like it's only the people who ordered when it was in stock. Not sure if the ones who ordered when it was "temporarily out of stock" (myself included) will get it. I'm hoping for the best.

Some people from RFD are saying they've had luck getting stores to price match. I'd give it a try, just bring in a print out of your order, or show them on your phone and just say it hasn't shipped yet but you rather buy from a local store. It might work depending on who you get, they've had success with FS, BB and Target it seems, so i'd check them all out if possible, even walmart.

ElNino

The Best Buy/FS trade in deal line last year was epic crazy.
Yeah, I'm glad I got my reserve in-store orders in early enough so I got to skip those lines. People were waiting for hours without the line moving in the hopes that the store would get more stock in.

Got my iPhone 6 with relatively no problems besides the slightly incompetent sales clerk and the store's lack of preparation. (No queue system at all, people just going to random kiosks.)

Decided to go with the 128. I'm sure I won't need that much space, but might as well go big for my first phone.

For a moment I thought this was a national deal and got excited...

Haha, it would be chaos.

The downtown Montreal Chapters is closing so they just set a blanket 50% off everything. The 1st floor is basically one huge line, and every bookshelf is just stacks of random books. It's like the world's biggest garage sale. Staff there called it Black Friday. The line loops so many times you can just shop while in line, basically - every time you move forward there's a new stack of randoms.

The iPhone line looked intimidating in sure strength of numbers but was reasonably well ordered. I'd assume the bigger problems are the weather (~8c) and that, unlike the iPad or other product launches, here people are trying to do upgrades and activations. (It's tradition for Rogers, Bell and Telus to all suffer catastrophic activation failures at some point today.)

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, it would be chaos.

The downtown Montreal Chapters is closing so they just set a blanket 50% off everything. The 1st floor is basically one huge line, and every bookshelf is just stacks of random books. It's like the world's biggest garage sale. Staff there called it Black Friday. The line loops so many times you can just shop while in line, basically - every time you move forward there's a new stack of randoms.

The iPhone line looked intimidating in sure strength of numbers but was reasonably well ordered. I'd assume the bigger problems are the weather (~8c) and that, unlike the iPad or other product launches, here people are trying to do upgrades and activations. (It's tradition for Rogers, Bell and Telus to all suffer catastrophic activation failures at some point today.)

Ooooh... I'd love to go get books at %50 off, but waiting in line for hours doesn't sound like fun... :/

I just got a T-Mobile iPhone 6 for full retail price in the States and I popped my Virgin Mobile Canadian sim card in there and it grabs AT&T network in the States.

So yeah, all T-Mobile iPhone 6 will work with any non American sims.

mdubs

Banned
Just found out about the CRTC fucking with Netflix this morning. Fuck them.

Honestly the CRTC, Rogers, Bell and Telus are the worst part of living in Canada by far and they can all go to hell. Thank goodness for Netflix.

Edit: Also on the PS4 watch, some people on RFD received their orders today already.

KingSlime

4GB 360's are $80 at FS/BB (matching WM's price).

Did you mean $129? The Walmart price is $129 and you get a $50 gift card (effectively making it $80), but the FS/BB price online is $129. Are they giving a $50 card as well? Or are they just $80 in store? I would buy if it was a straight $80, that price is crazy. Anyone know?

Did you mean $129? The Walmart price is $129 and you get a $50 gift card (effectively making it $80), but the FS/BB price online is $129. Are they giving a $50 card as well? Or are they just $80 in store? I would buy if it was a straight $80, that price is crazy. Anyone know?

I ended up buying one and getting 3D World and Wind Waker HD with the Gift card, amazing deal to be honest.

And what is all this talk about the CRTC, what happened?

It's $80 if you reserve for in-store pickup (discounts automatically instead of giving a GC).

Basically 3 scenarios if you pickup:
1. They deny the $80 price and you get it for $130 with a $50 GC.
2. You get the $80 price with no GC.
3. You get the $80 price WITH a GC.

Liberty4all

Banned
Off topic slightly but just a heads up ... federal government's Post Secondary Recruitment Drive is on right now until October 2nd.

The Post-Secondary Recruitment (PSR) campaign is designed to hire university and college graduates into a range of entry-level officer jobs within the federal government.

Apply directly to a specific job opportunity or apply to be part of unique career stream inventories. These inventories will be established at the close of the campaign and will be made available to all departments and agencies across the public service who can access them for their job openings.

Job Opportunities: http://jobs-emplois.gc.ca/psr-rp/index-eng.php?p=2

edit: Meant to post this in Toronto thread. Sorry!

LifeLike

Hi CanadaGaf, I'm looking for a deal on The Evil Within... please help me !
It's CDN$ 64.99 & FREE Shipping on Amazon, it's not really a deal but 5$ is still better than nothing...

Update from someone at RFD regarding the PS4 bundle from Amazon.

I ordered mine when they were temporally out of stock and it has just changed to "DELIVERY ESTIMATE: Monday, November 3, 2014 - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 by 8:00pm". Ouch!

At least it looks like they will honour the $339 price.

Looks like they are honoring it, it'l be a bit of a wait for those of you who ordered. Worth it at that price though.

Hi CanadaGaf, I'm looking for a deal on The Evil Within... please help me !
It's CDN$ 64.99 & FREE Shipping on Amazon, it's not really a deal but 5$ is still better than nothing...

honestly a game like that will drop quick, i expect it $40 by end of October, or wait a little longer around black friday

Top Bottom