• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I blame the French for our higher prices. As I opened my copy of Smash Bros today, I realized that Nintendo has to make custom covers + add a whole another pamphlet with French controls, all for a country with a population of ~35 million.

I bet if publishers didn't have to do all that extra work they would shave $5 off the MSRP easily.

khaaan

Futureshop - $499 Xbone w. Kinect and Forza + any additional Xbone game up to $69.99.
I don't know if there have been better deals but if I wanted the system I could see some value.

My Smash Bros. shows as delivered :D

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I blame the French for our higher prices. As I opened my copy of Smash Bros today, I realized that Nintendo has to make custom covers + add a whole another pamphlet with French controls, all for a country with a population of ~35 million.

I bet if publishers didn't have to do all that extra work they would shave $5 off the MSRP easily.

French manuals and games have been required for I think 10 years now... Why would that inflate the price of games all of a sudden?!

And the localization isn't made specifically for Quebec. There are other french-speaking countries where games are sold...

Rbk_3

Futureshop - $499 Xbone w. Kinect and Forza + any additional Xbone game up to $69.99.
I don't know if there have been better deals but if I wanted the system I could see some value.

There was just the Kinect Bundle , any game, +$50 GC for 499.99 through the MS Store.

mdubs

Banned

I highly doubt that has anything to do with it considering how weak the Canadian dollar has been.

But French does make our packages so much uglier because of all the extra text.

Smash 3DS XL plus Smash is $225 at FS/BB, or $180 (without game) at EB.

Regular 3DS XL is $170 at Toys R Us.

I always liked the full-colour trilingual manuals. They added some heft to games. Nowadays games are just a box, cartridge/discs, and a thin manual/key card.

zroid

Banned
I always liked the full-colour trilingual manuals. They added some heft to games. Nowadays games are just a box, cartridge/discs, and a thin manual/key card.

As far as fold-out pamphlet manuals go, Smash 3DS' is pretty good at least. Could even pass for a mini-poster.

No_Style

Actually the discounts will retain for the whole order. The only thing will be remove is the discount of the item you cancelled. So if you have 18%, 30% etc discounts. It will retain for the remaining items unshipped.

It's not the case with my order. I had 2 copies of CoD:AW and Mortal Kombat X pre-ordered and as soon as I canceled the CoD games, the promo discount evaporated.

Fortunately, I took advantage of the $59.49 price + promo discount , so I can pay that if I want to keep it.

French manuals and games have been required for I think 10 years now... Why would that inflate the price of games all of a sudden?!

And the localization isn't made specifically for Quebec. There are other french-speaking countries where games are sold...
While true, that's actually much less important. There's actually many translation issues that are unique to Quebec when compared to France, and in many translation work, some do end up hiring two sets of translations for the regional difference.

Lexxism

It's not the case with my order. I had 2 copies of CoD:AW and Mortal Kombat X pre-ordered and as soon as I canceled the CoD games, the promo discount evaporated.

Fortunately, I took advantage of the $59.49 price + promo discount , so I can pay that if I want to keep it.

How many % was left when you cancelled? Also, did you get the 33% off discount? I guess that will happen to me if I cancel my Smash Bros WiiU since I only got 3 games pre-ordered on my 33% off order.

diaspora

Tracking number says Smash is here, it was never dropped off with the mail, Canada Post says to deal with Best Buy, Best Buy isn't doing shit until the 10th. Fuck everything, I need an aggression outlet.

JGqAvEg.gif

edit: French being blamed for higher MSRP? That's fucking stupid opinion. $60 USD is already $67.50 CAD, $2.50 less than what we pay now at $69.99. At the current exchange rate, $40 USD is $45.05, which is what we pay now. "I blame the French" my ass. smh

nordique

Smh. It's an officially bilingual country. "french language" inflation??

There's something known as the value of the Canadian dollar which isn't exatly worth as much as its American counterpart. That might have something to do with it.

No_Style

How many % was left when you cancelled? Also, did you get the 33% off discount? I guess that will happen to me if I cancel my Smash Bros WiiU since I only got 3 games pre-ordered on my 33% off order.

I'm not entirely sure. I had the 33% off discount and at the time of cancellation, it looked like it was going to retain the promo discount but once I cancelled and went back to confirm, the promo went away.

Easy guys with bilingual wars :)
The guy gets to have his opinion, still I can't see what French has to do with the price especially since we had same prices as the US when our dollar was close to the USD!

UberTag

I highly doubt that has anything to do with it considering how weak the Canadian dollar has been.
The dollar was trending higher for a while there (in the 93-94 cents range) but it's back down to 88.9 cents US.
As is customary, I blame Harper and the Conservatives. And then Rogers/Bell/Telus.
Global financial markets have nothing to do with this in my narrow judgmental mind.

Tracking number says Smash is here, it was never dropped off with the mail, Canada Post says to deal with Best Buy, Best Buy isn't doing shit until the 10th. Fuck everything, I need an aggression outlet.

JGqAvEg.gif

edit: French being blamed for higher MSRP? That's fucking stupid opinion. $60 USD is already $67.50 CAD, $2.50 less than what we pay now at $69.99. At the current exchange rate, $40 USD is $45.05, which is what we pay now. "I blame the French" my ass. smh

Aren't you being a tad impatient? The day isn't even over, and as others have said, the tracking number and status mean little. I've seen a "delivered" status that just meant "we dropped a card off so you can pick it up tomorrow at the post office".

By the time the 10th rolls around you should have your game.

diaspora

Aren't you being a tad impatient? The day isn't even over, and as others have said, the tracking number and status mean little. I've seen a "delivered" status that just meant "we dropped a card off so you can pick it up tomorrow at the post office".

By the time the 10th rolls around you should have your game.

I'm irritated because they dropped off the mail after checking it off as delivered which itself is fine, but omitted the package itself. Like... why say it's delivered if it's not at least going to be the same day? Why say "Delivered Oct 03" if it's not?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The dollar was trending higher for a while there (in the 93-94 cents range) but it's back down to 88.9 cents US.
As is customary, I blame Harper and the Conservatives. And then Rogers/Bell/Telus.
Global financial markets have nothing to do with this in my narrow judgmental mind.

The PS2 console boom was thanks to $50 MSRP.

Removing Harper would reduce another $5 off retail games. We are paying premium prices on video games so Harper can fly jets halfway across the world.

iphys

Letter carrier was sick, so the mail didn't come till this evening, but I did get my copies of Smash tonight! First time I've ever got a Nintendo title from FS/BB in Halifax on the release date.

torontoml

Guess I'm not getting the full Driveclub next Tuesday, futureshop hasn't even charged my card yet. At least there's the plus version.

I already have Shadow of Mordor to play through.

I just bought Reaper of Souls for $20.

Yet you guys are tempting me to go out and buy Smash Bros right now instead of waiting till next week. The hype is too real.

Reapers of Souls, the PC version? That's a decent price regardless.

If you can hold out though, I would suggest waiting out on buying any console as it is the holiday season and better deals/bundles are just around the corner for the American Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

Seriously....

Off topic but I don't know where else to ask. Has anyone ever done a chargeback through VISA or any other major credit card? I have been waiting on a refund from Bell Canada for the iPhone order I cancelled for over 10 days. They told me they put it through but I haven't seen it on my card. They keep saying that I should wait and see but I have never seen a refund take this long.

I'm starting to think about contact Visa bout having them do a chargeback.

iphys

I once had a moving company rip me off and charge my credit card like a 30% higher rate than the agreement, and the company was refusing to refund me the difference. I complained to Visa and had to provide a bunch of proof and finally got the $600 back that they'd overcharged me. I wouldn't rush into the process until you have to though, which is something like 30 days after the credit card bill is sent to you.

FrsDvl

Does anyone happen to have any eshop codes laying around? I tried the B/S/T thread, but no luck so far. Not trying to be cheap, I'll pay face value. Lost my debit card and can't run to the store to buy them. I can PayPal money.

I once had a moving company rip me off and charge my credit card like a 30% higher rate than the agreement, and the company was refusing to refund me the difference. I complained to Visa and had to provide a bunch of proof and finally got the $600 back that they'd overcharged me. I wouldn't rush into the process until you have to though, which is something like 30 days after the credit card bill is sent to you.

Sounds like a pain. I will keep pushing Bell.

suikodan

Easily the best joke I read today...

Unless you are serious...

Top Bottom