• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Lexxism

I think I'm just going to head out to a midnight release and grab the $99 bundle with the game, controller and adapter.

There's no way I can cancel my $46 E3 pre-order of Smash U without cancelling the other game I ordered with it, right? meh.

You can cancel Smash U without cancelling your other pre-orders. Already done that with 3-4 games I cancelled and I still have my pre-orders discount intact.

Sora_N

I wish I could go into my local EB to use these deals but I had a fight with the manager a couple years ago and never went back in. On a random day I went to a separate EB and there he was... apparently he manages a couple of them.

Hah, sorta same for me. I emailed to complain about this one guy that works at my closest EB and I don't really go back there now because I don't want to deal with that guy again. I barely go to EB now in general, not like they have sales.

ovii

I swear Amazon.ca trolls the crap out of me. Pre-ordered on June 9th, currently a prime member, and my Alien Isolation is still being delivered next week.

Heads up guys!

Using promo code DUAL420 at BestBuy.ca will net you $20 off Dualshock 4 controllers (or PS4 camera). If you're still hurt like me that you couldn't score any at Staples, this might ease the pain a little.
Also, promo code PSHST40 will net you $40 off Gold Wireless Stereo Headsets.

Thanks for the tip!
Just reserved a white DS4 for in-store pick up, wish they had any Camo ones for preorder!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Tempted by that Smash bundle, but I already have the game pre-ordered from Amazon and enough GC controllers. Does Smash support the CC Pro?
There is no way it won't.

Nintendo is on point with their controller support.

pestul

The standard Zotac GTX 970's are in stock at Futureshop/Best Buy for anyone that wants to get one for $362 free shipping.

djblue89

Thanks Amazon !

UCPiRAW.png

I swear Amazon.ca trolls the crap out of me. Pre-ordered on June 9th, currently a prime member, and my Alien Isolation is still being delivered next week.

Could be worse. I pre-ordered Theatrhythm: Curtain Call around the same time. The game released on September 16. Not only do I still not have the game three weeks later, but Amazon.ca doesn't even have an estimated delivery date anymore and the customer service reps have no idea when they'll get more.

The best part is, Theatrhythm Curtain Call is totally in stock right now. Except it's not in stock right now. Amazon.ca has TWO LISTINGS for the game. What in the everloving fuck.

Xenoflare

Hah, sorta same for me. I emailed to complain about this one guy that works at my closest EB and I don't really go back there now because I don't want to deal with that guy again. I barely go to EB now in general, not like they have sales.

It's kinda sad though. Since my local EB actually had great people working there. Right now there is one particular man who is relentless on pushing those edge offers, but one person isn't going to ruin the thing for me yet......

It's happened :(
T0Pwe5a.png

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

In many, but not all, cases, prices appear to be 10% higher (roughly in line with the exchange rate I guess). Civilization: Beyond Earth is still $49.99, thank god, but Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation are now $54.99. NBA 2K15 is a hilarious $69.99.

One silver lining: still no tax. So this isn't a total disaster, more like individual publishers deciding to screw us and others leaving us alone. In many cases it actually looks like you won't see much of a difference in the end.

It's happened :(
T0Pwe5a.png

Yep. Just saw it myself.

A lot of it looks like small 10% increases though. There's a lot of stuff that's only 1-2 dollars more than what it used to be in USD. Even so, a lot of the prices seem to be around or even sometimes less than what we paid when Steam was still using USD.

For example, if I bought COD AW in USD it would have come out to $66 CAD after conversion. Right now COD AW is listed at $64.99 CAD, cheaper than what we got when still used USD, and more importantly significantly cheaper than buying the PS4 or XBone version at retail. Then there's NBA listed at $69.99 which is just... lol. Oh and no taxes. Everything turned out somewhat okay.

In many, but not all, cases, prices appear to be 10% higher (roughly in line with the exchange rate I guess). Civilization: Beyond Earth is still $49.99, thank god, but Shadows of Mordor and Alien: Isolation are now $54.99. NBA 2K15 is a hilarious $69.99..

If that's the case you're better off getting the game of GMG then with their 20% off codes. In fact, if you are getting a game within the first few weeks just use GMG. Save a couple of bucks. It looks like we can still use third party Steam sellers like GMG so all is right

zroid

Banned
Remember when I said Steam would probably add ~10% to the USD price and not charge tax? And everyone doubted me?

Good times. :p

RE_Player

How does one get into a fight that bad with an EB manager unless you knew him personally?
It wasn't a fist fight or anything like that but the dude treated me like shit one day because I signed up for an Edge card but it wasn't in the system. It was another employees' fault because they set it up wrong and he just treated me in a feel snotty manner like it was my fault and wouldn't give me a refund for the wrongly set up card or give me a free card despite my paying of one already. I wrote a lengthy email to his superior, the only time I've ever complained about someones service in my entire life. They offered me stuff but I just wanted a refund and to cancel whatever I had pre-ordered with them. I went back to the store to receive my refund and apparently the dude got chewed out by his boss and we got in a little bit of a shouting match. Never been back since.

Banned
Yep. Just saw it myself.

A lot of it looks like small 10% increases though. There's a lot of stuff that's only 1-2 dollars more than what it used to be in USD. Even so, a lot of the prices seem to be around or even sometimes less than what we paid when Steam was still using USD.

For example, if I bought COD AW in USD it would have come out to $66 CAD after conversion. Right now COD AW is listed at $64.99 CAD, cheaper than what we got when still used USD, and more importantly significantly cheaper than buying the PS4 or XBone version at retail. Then there's NBA listed at $69.99 which is just... lol. Oh and no taxes. Everything turned out somewhat okay.

If that's the case you're better off getting the game of GMG then with their 20% off codes. In fact, if you are getting a game within the first few weeks just use GMG. Save a couple of bucks. It looks like we can still use third party Steam sellers like GMG so all is right
Omg everything increased in price :(

Most games went up $5 which is about the exchange rate difference. Ubisoft however wants $70 for AC Unity haha. Fuck that noise.

Thank god I bought FFXIII for $10.80 before the price hike. It's now $17.99 regular and $16.49 if you preorder.

Sora_N

It wasn't a fist fight or anything like that but the dude treated me like shit one day because I signed up for an Edge card but it wasn't in the system. It was another employees' fault because they set it up wrong and he just treated me in a feel snotty manner like it was my fault and wouldn't give me a refund for the wrongly set up card or give me a free card despite my paying of one already. I wrote a lengthy email to his superior, the only time I've ever complained about someones service in my entire life. They offered me stuff but I just wanted a refund and to cancel whatever I had pre-ordered with them. I went back to the store to receive my refund and apparently the dude got chewed out by his boss and we got in a little bit of a shouting match. Never been back since.

Similar thing for me but I rarely preorder. He was being a dick to me when I returned shit from online orders saying usually I'm not allowed to refund if I got free shipping. Just super bad attitude. He still works there so I don't think it was a big deal even though I sent an email complaint. Wasn't offered anything lol.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Alright I am probably going to come across as really ignorant here but weren't we (Canadians) paying the Canadian price anyway? Sure we viewed the prices in USD, but I thought when all was said and done it was a higher charge on your credit card due to the exchange rate?

I assume I'm misunderstanding here. Are we actually paying more now? 'Cause uh, that's pretty crazy if we're going to be paying the $70 retail price.

Alright I am probably going to come across as really ignorant here but weren't we (Canadians) paying the Canadian price anyway? Sure we viewed the prices in USD, but I thought when all was said and done it was a higher charge on your credit card due to the exchange rate?

I assume I'm misunderstanding here. Are we actually paying more now? 'Cause uh, that's pretty crazy if we're going to be paying the $70 retail price.

Actually we might be paying less now, potentially. Before we were paying the US price with Paypal (or whatever bank) conversion. I noted at that point that the paypal conversion was pretty generous (to them). Assuming that Steam does a fair conversion (which is what I'm hoping for), then we'd probably get a fair price without the bank rate/paypal conversion. Of course Ubisoft and other publishers will most likely set their MSRP knowing what a ton of people will pay for a retail copy.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Actually we might be paying less now, potentially. Before we were paying the US price with Paypal (or whatever bank) conversion. I noted at that point that the paypal conversion was pretty generous (to them). Assuming that Steam does a fair conversion (which is what I'm hoping for), then we'd probably get a fair price without the bank rate/paypal conversion. Of course Ubisoft and other publishers will most likely set their MSRP knowing what a ton of people will pay for a retail copy.

Interesting. I just checked my last 2 steam purchases and the price now is $1 - $2 less than what I paid when the price was still in USD. I'm okay with that, if that's going to be how it is.

Omg everything increased in price :(

Most games went up $5 which is about the exchange rate difference. Ubisoft however wants $70 for AC Unity haha. Fuck that noise.

Thank god I bought FFXIII for $10.80 before the price hike. It's now $17.99 regular and $16.49 if you preorder.

Yeah I saw that as well. Just keep looking at other options now like GMG or Humble Bundle where you can still get FFXIII for around $10-12 USD or something. It's really interesting seeing which publishers are really pushing it, and which ones don't seem to care as much

Not exactly a game deal, but if you're in the market for a GTX 970 video card and you don't care what brand/model it is: Staples is selling the Zotac stock GTX 970 for $362.99. That's the same price as most other places, but you should be able to apply Staples coupons on top (just tried a $15 off $200 coupon I got, seems to apply fine).

Dunlop

From RFD

Enter DUAL420 as the promotion code to get $20 PS4 accessories at bestbuy

snagged a white DS4 for $50

Edit: $20 off, sorry

Does EBGames do release date delivery/shipping? I'm thinking of getting that Smash Bundle.

EB doesn't price match, their new website is awful, their sales suck, and their trade-in deals are terrible, but their online shipping is probably the best out of all the major Canadian retailers. They're fast and packaged well.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So tempted to get theatrhythm but I'll wait for Christmas...
Don't. Despite Smash coming out, I still play it regularly. It's amazing. If you wait for too long, the online may be dead by then and it's hella fun.

Top Bottom