• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Anyone here subscribe to NHL game centre?

I've heard of the whole $75/year if it thinks you're in Russia trick, so I'm intrigued, but is there an easy way to trick a PS4 or XB1 into thinking you're in a different market? I'd only go for it if I can avoid regional blackouts.

Did the Russian thing, totally works. You just need to buy it using a Russian IP address then you can switch back to your current one.

PS4 - Apparently you need to make a american psn account, otherwise it will force you to log in on rogers.

Xbox One/360 - Don't need to do a thing, just log in using the app. There's a button for signing in using rogers game center, just unchecked it.

Really easy buddy, go for it. I saw a leaf game using gamecenter and I'm in leafs nation. I think they stopped doing the regional blackouts.

SSReborn

Unless you have something you want to play right this instant, I would wait. That 10% discount will always be around, after all. The Wii U isn't selling so poorly that Nintendo will sweep it under the rug (hello Vita) but not nearly well enough to get through Black Friday without some sort of discount.

Cool, I think that's what I will do then thanks for the advice.

jokkir

Not really gaming related but does anyone know where to get a Nexus 5 for cheap? Maybe leaning towards the 32GB version though.

Enilced2

I'm planning to sell my Vita but wondering if it's really worth the hassle of doing the kijiji thing and if it wouldn't be simpler just trading the damn thing in. Anyone have an idea of what you get trade wise for one?

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Not really gaming related but does anyone know where to get a Nexus 5 for cheap? Maybe leaning towards the 32GB version though.

I assume you already have a contract and just want the phone? This might not be precisely the method you're looking for but I got my Nexus 5 for $50 at The Source. The sales guy kept going on about how because it was a corporate store he could do all these slick deals, and that's pretty much what happened. Obviously he did the routine of saying "well I can't really do that but I can do this" but in the end, I got the phone for $50. I did however have a contract to set up as well.

Yasumi

Banned
Once the new Zelda game releases, that slights twinge will turn into something bigger. :|
Skyward Sword kind of soured me on Zelda for a while.

I don't know, the price dropped that low once, it'll probably drop that low again. When it does, hopefully there will be some more Japanese third party support, at which point I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

zroid

Banned
By the way that Best Buy sale has started

34UbC54.png

Some surprisingly good deals there

Amooox

So my DS4 controller R2 button is now busted and i want to replace/fix it. I bought my PS4 2 months ago from BestBuy. Should I try them first or go to sony directly? Would they replace it or fix it? How long does it take?

zroid

Banned
FYI people Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is available at Best Buy. It comes out before E3 so this might be your only chance to get a decent discount on it. If you don't have any other games to get with it, pre-order Tekken 3DS.

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody in here ever ordered a game on Origin in India?

I've done in in the past for Watch_Dogs and Dragon Age but it was in Mexico and I could use Paypal. Now when I try to pre-order Farcry 4 from India the only payment option available is Credit Card and I'm a bit nervous buying something over there using my CC with a proxy.

Quoting for new page... Anybody?

Picked up Lego City Undercover for the Wii U used from Bestbuy's current sale for about 19 or so dollars after tax.

That's a good price, right?

I still don't have a Wii U either lol

zroid

Banned
Picked up Lego City Undercover for the Wii U used from Bestbuy's current sale for about 19 or so dollars after tax.

It's decent, I think. I remember they used to go for $20 at Shoppers, but that's obviously pretty hit or miss.

I might've grabbed LCU but I'm desperately trying to cut back on buying games which I know I'm probably never going to play, lol.

Fularu

Banned

Bought it new from Shoppers for 14.59 a few months ago. Doubtfull you can get it much cheaper

khaaan

The save 30% off of 3DS also works on pre-orders so if there's something you missed during E3, now might be a good time...although there's not much.

Depending on the game it might not be worth changing an existing pre-order for some games, Pokemon for example had a price bump so even with an extra 10% off it goes down to exactly the same price as at was during the E3 deal.

kennah

Nice. Previously played nsmb2 for 15 and Mario and Luigi dream team for 17. Too bad pokemon, albw and Mario galaxy are sold out

Cheerilee

Unless you have something you want to play right this instant, I would wait. That 10% discount will always be around, after all. The Wii U isn't selling so poorly that Nintendo will sweep it under the rug (hello Vita) but not nearly well enough to get through Black Friday without some sort of discount.

Actually, the Wii U is selling that poorly (at the point in it's life where the Dreamcast was canned, Wii U wished it could have been as successful as Dreamcast, and Nintendo isn't particularly gun shy, as evidenced by the quick bullet to the head which the Virtual Boy got), but Nintendo has made it clear that they're not going that route this time, and they plan on toughing it out until they squeeze every last dollar out of the system. And Nintendo has enough big games in their pipeline to eventually push most of their unsold systems.

It's not that Wii U's sales "aren't that bad", it's that Nintendo currently doesn't care how bad the sales are, they won't let that scare them into a reckless move.

There won't be any Virtual Boy/Dreamcast-style fire sales on the Wii U, at least not until the last Wii U game comes out and stops selling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo puts together some sort of deal to get in on Black Friday though, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if that deal doesn't exceed the $200 refurbished deal that you can already get.

zroid

Banned
The save 30% off of 3DS also works on pre-orders so if there's something you missed during E3, now might be a good time...although there's not much.

Both Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Codename STEAM weren't actually available during E3 (well iirc STEAM was added at the last minute, so a lot of people missed it). Now's a good chance to grab those for E3 pricing.

khaaan

Both Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and Codename STEAM weren't actually available during E3 (well iirc STEAM was added at the last minute, so a lot of people missed it). Now's a good chance to grab those for E3 pricing.

Yeah, I added a few games that weren't available or I missed....but the site errors out whenever I try to go to my cart =P

SickBoy

I generally don't like buying used, but I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a couple: New Yoshi's Island (don't know when I'd be able to find it around $17.50 and I'm eager to try it despite the general distaste for it) and Lego Marvel for Wii U ($7.50? I've been eyeing this one for a while).

Hope the disc for Lego Marvel is in decent shape.

Tapejara

Xillia 2's collector's edition would be sold out.

In any case, picked up the Watch_Dogs LE.

Edit: does Best Buy typically send an order notification e-mail?

Edit 2: Never mind.

ohlawd

screw it, HM is only $21 after the deal.

Gamestop has $15 shipping and Natsume doesn't even ship here. Dunno if the dog plushie is worth the extra $14 when ordering from EB >_>

I want it though. It looks so derpy, the good-type of derpy :(

Actually, the Wii U is selling that poorly (at the point in it's life where the Dreamcast was canned, Wii U wished it could have been as successful as Dreamcast, and Nintendo isn't particularly gun shy, as evidenced by the quick bullet to the head which the Virtual Boy got), but Nintendo has made it clear that they're not going that route this time, and they plan on toughing it out until they squeeze every last dollar out of the system. And Nintendo has enough big games in their pipeline to eventually push most of their unsold systems.

It's not that Wii U's sales "aren't that bad", it's that Nintendo currently doesn't care how bad the sales are, they won't let that scare them into a reckless move.

There won't be any Virtual Boy/Dreamcast-style fire sales on the Wii U, at least not until the last Wii U game comes out and stops selling.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo puts together some sort of deal to get in on Black Friday though, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if that deal doesn't exceed the $200 refurbished deal that you can already get.

Fair enough, I guess what I really meant is the Wii U isn't selling so poorly that Nintendo's going to take it out back and shoot it like they did with the Vita, where you can basically forget about any Black Friday/Boxing Day deals because no one even bothers to stock the thing, from what I've read on GAF. I don't know if the sales will be good but Nintendo would be boneheaded not to try and ride the momentum of Smash (and, to a lesser extent, Mario Kart 8).

And if it doesn't work out, the original poster still has the 10% employee discount to fall back on so it's all good.

Whaaat I just noticed Best Buy changed their free shipping minimum to $25. Bummer.

Weird, I checked out with just a used copy of Zelda: Link Between Worlds for $17.49 and it didn't charge me for shipping. Maybe because the original price was over $25?

screw it, HM is only $21 after the deal.

Gamestop has $15 shipping and Natsume doesn't even ship here. Dunno if the dog plushie is worth the extra $14 when ordering from EB >_>

I want it though. It looks so derpy, the good-type of derpy :(

I've still never played a Harvest Moon game but I kick myself occasionally for not getting the alpaca plushie that came with A Tale of Two Towns. It was sooooooooooooo adorable.

Top Bottom