• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

espher

I don't even know why I bother looking at those BB deals. Everything I would be interested in is inevitably sold out by the time I get around to it, and there isn't a Best Buy anywhere near me to check re: in-store pickup.

I do need an external hard drive, though... might see if there are any good looking deals for those.

Zing

Banned
They did, but this year I think they're co-promoting AC with Xboxes.
It is rather disappointing to see ads showing a multiplatform game and they show all the console logos or game boxes, and even the 360 box is much larger and in front of the PS4 box. It makes me mistrust the retailer.

zroid

Banned
Say I ordered Kirby and Tekken, would they ship me Kirby right away with the sales price? Could I cancel my order afterward it's been sent?

They would ship it immediately yeah. You can cancel afterward (or not), but you'd have to call or email them to do so.

sj00

It's getting close to the year mark since last year's incredible BB/FS trade in deal. What do you think the chances are of this happening again this year? The realist in me thinks they wouldn't do it again, but I'm still holding out hope.

It's getting close to the year mark since last year's incredible BB/FS trade in deal. What do you think the chances are of this happening again this year? The realist in me thinks they wouldn't do it again, but I'm still holding out hope.

Very low. They lost a lot of money doing that and won't dare repeating it again. Plus last-gen is on the way out so they'll be scaling back orders of those versions.

I still have no idea why they did it or who thought it was a good idea financially. But i'd love it if it happened again, no way though.

jholmes

I still have no idea why they did it or who thought it was a good idea financially. But i'd love it if it happened again, no way though.

I had been told by a guy with the company that EA, Activision and Ubisoft cut FS/BB some sort of sweetheart deal. He was under the impression it didn't cost FS/BB much but I find that a bit hard to believe. All three games are in big-budget series and the 2013 instalments didn't sell especially well so maybe the publishers did it to torque their sales numbers.

So for some reason I have over 900 points in my Best Buy Reward Zone account, but I can't get certificates. Anyone know why this might be?

I just noticed the same issue today with my account. I recently passed 1600 points and they're all posted, not pending, so I should be getting a certificate at some point. I'm happy to wait for it, though, as I don't have anything in particular I want from Best Buy, but I am curious as to when they'll bother to issue a certificate.

zroid

Banned
I just noticed the same issue today with my account. I recently passed 1600 points and they're all posted, not pending, so I should be getting a certificate at some point. I'm happy to wait for it, though, as I don't have anything in particular I want from Best Buy, but I am curious as to when they'll bother to issue a certificate.
Should be this week. Points are converted every Monday (if you have enough), and the certificates are then posted on the following Wednesday or so.

btw you could always use it on a psn/eshop/xbl $20 card if there's nothing else

Weird problem to have, I'm just hoping they can get it all sorted before I pick up X-Men this week.

Returners

It is rather disappointing to see ads showing a multiplatform game and they show all the console logos or game boxes, and even the 360 box is much larger and in front of the PS4 box. It makes me mistrust the retailer.

Well we did see the opposite with Watch Dogs.

Sony is rolling with Far Cry 4 I guess.

Tagg9

I remember reading they lost a few million doing that, so don't expect a repeat.

RAL_Palladion

Neo Member
So should I cancel my Persona Q Collector's edition pre order at EB games and pre order it at best buy? I was thinking of combining it with Omega Ruby since I was gonna pre order it anyways. I can do that right? lol

The only reason I pre ordered persona Q at EB games is because I had enough trade credits to pay for the PQ CE. But now I might just use that on smash wii u or something.

Lexxism

So should I cancel my Persona Q Collector's edition pre order at EB games and pre order it at best buy? I was thinking of combining it with Omega Ruby since I was gonna pre order it anyways. I can do that right? lol

The only reason I pre ordered persona Q at EB games is because I had enough trade credits to pay for the PQ CE. But now I might just use that on smash wii u or something.

Yeah, why not? I think the cancel button is disabled. Give them a call or email and they will cancel the item for you.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hmm, I wonder if Canada is getting the special slip cover for the day 1 editions of The Evil Within. I'll probably cry if we don't. :(

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well we'll know which part of the country to blame if we don't ;)
XS5LKh.gif

ohlawd

yeah you can do that. I just tried out both PQ and OR and I got 27 and 13.5 bucks off respectively.

uhh holy shit I should do this too. I still have my 80 dollar preorder but this is way better. Dumb question, I can return CEs just fine, right?

Weird problem to have, I'm just hoping they can get it all sorted before I pick up X-Men this week.

I just got another Reward Zone email and it says I now have a $20 certificate (it's just a newsletter, though, it's not the email that says "hey you have a certificate!") so I guess I just caught it before the weekly certificate generation.

zroid

Banned
So... you know that section on Best Buy order status pages where it shows your credit card and how much $$ has been charged?

Anyone notice that the amount shown as "charged" for all orders has suddenly been maximized to the full value of the order as opposed to just the items which have already shipped? I don't know when this happened. I hope it's not indicative of items actually being charged in advance.

Lexxism

Is ebgames still doing a trade 3 in promo for evil within?

Yup https://www.ebgames.ca/Recycled Offers/Index

So... you know that section on Best Buy order status pages where it shows your credit card and how much $$ has been charged?

Anyone notice that the amount shown as "charged" for all orders has suddenly been maximized to the full value of the order as opposed to just the items which have already shipped? I don't know when this happened. I hope it's not indicative of items actually being charged in advance.

Yeah, saw that one last week(or the week before). I checked my bank online and I didn't see any $xxx.xx charges on my account. I guess it's safe to assume they won't charge in advance.

edit: Even my latest order was showing full charge. Let's see if it will show up this week.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I saw that last week when I was checking up on my Smash orders and gave them a call, they said they weren't sure why it was showing that but assured me that I wasn't charged the full amount. I doubled checked with my bank and I wasn't, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

EB Games on the otherhand charged me for my FF Type 0 and Arkham Knight preorders, only to return the funds the day later. o_O

completly forgot bestbuy sent my evil within order,lol i thought i cancelled it. Oh wells. im not broke so i can afford to play the game i guess. Could be a sleeper hit :)

zroid

Banned
Yeah, saw that one last week(or the week before). I checked my bank online and I didn't see any $xxx.xx charges on my account. I guess it's safe to assume they won't charge in advance.

edit: Even my latest order was showing full charge. Let's see if it will show up this week.

I saw that last week when I was checking up on my Smash orders and gave them a call, they said they weren't sure why it was showing that but assured me that I wasn't charged the full amount. I doubled checked with my bank and I wasn't, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

EB Games on the otherhand charged me for my FF Type 0 and Arkham Knight preorders, only to return the funds the day later. o_O

Thanks dudes. I figured it was probably just a mistake or cosmetic change. I also checked my credit card history, but wasn't sure when this happened and it takes a couple days usually for new charges to reflect.

Ryne

Not sure I'm going to keep my copy of SSB for 3DS, it hurts my hands to play it. The club nintendo code is already used. 30 bucks sound right?

Jinto

yeah you can do that. I just tried out both PQ and OR and I got 27 and 13.5 bucks off respectively.

uhh holy shit I should do this too. I still have my 80 dollar preorder but this is way better. Dumb question, I can return CEs just fine, right?

I pre-ordered the PQ premium edition again as well. Yeah, you can return CEs no problem.

Top Bottom