• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Lexxism

The Best Buy 3DS games sale: it's $10 off each game, or only off the final combined price?

Also, either way, that doesn't get Pokemon ORAS down to to $30....it's $45 MSRP.

What am I missing?

The 30% off when you buy 2 3DS games(pre-order or not). It's already over since yesterday morning.

antibolo

Banned
Senran Kagura still not shipping out yet from Amazon. Fuck it, I'll go pick one up from EB Games. It'll be $10 more, but someone mentioned that Amazon cancelled their order in the OT, and I'd rather not risk it.

Someone in the OT has mentioned that videogamesplus.ca shipped theirs at launch day, so I'm going with them. And it's $50.

Senran Kagura still not shipping out yet from Amazon. Fuck it, I'll go pick one up from EB Games. It'll be $10 more, but someone mentioned that Amazon cancelled their order in the OT, and I'd rather not risk it.

Yeah I'm kinda not regretting canceling SK SV now. It might be worth checking BB or FS. I think they're stocking it there for $49.99

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody here ever bought something on Origin using a proxy and used their credit card? I did it in the past (with a Mexico Proxy) for Watch_Dogs and Dragon Age and it went well but I was using Paypal. Now I want to buy Far Cry 4 in India because it'S half the price than it is on Steam but they only accept CC (no paypal) and I'm a bit nervous using a CC directly like that.

antibolo

Banned
DUAL420 promo code @ BB. You will get $20 off. BB currently has 3 stocks left online for DS4 white. Buy it before it runs out

Many thanks for the promo code, just used it for a pick up in store (I assume it will work? or the site wouldn't allow me to enter one?).

Anybody here ever bought something on Origin using a proxy and used their credit card? I did it in the past (with a Mexico Proxy) for Watch_Dogs and Dragon Age and it went well but I was using Paypal. Now I want to buy Far Cry 4 in India because it'S half the price than it is on Steam but they only accept CC (no paypal) and I'm a bit nervous using a CC directly like that.

Does Origin have forums? You can check those. Also the Gamedeals subreddit might have some information. Maybe even post in the Steam thread here.

Not a lot of PC gamers here. :p

Even if you used a CC, couldn't you do a chargeback if things go south?

Sajjaja

Try asking in the Steam thread.

It's getting close to the year mark since last year's incredible BB/FS trade in deal. What do you think the chances are of this happening again this year? The realist in me thinks they wouldn't do it again, but I'm still holding out hope.

I know a guy who used to work with marketing for Best Buy, and asked him why they did that deal. He basically said it was literally just a idea from an over excited marketing guy, that somehow made it through every decision maker in the company, to the point of following through. They lost a TON of money from it, and will never ever do it again haha.

explodet

I know a guy who used to work with marketing for Best Buy, and asked him why they did that deal. He basically said it was literally just a idea from an over excited marketing guy, that somehow made it through every decision maker in the company, to the point of following through. They lost a TON of money from it, and will never ever do it again haha.
Seriously, I couldn't think of any way they could pull ahead with that kind of promotion.
I gave them games that wouldn't get me a buck at EB and got copies of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. I don't even LIKE Call of Duty, I just didn't want those games stinking up my place anymore.

Truly an aligning of the moron stars happened that day.

ElNino

Seriously, I couldn't think of any way they could pull ahead with that kind of promotion.
I gave them games that wouldn't get me a buck at EB and got copies of Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. I don't even LIKE Call of Duty, I just didn't want those games stinking up my place anymore.

Yep, I traded three games that wouldn't even had got me $5 combined from FS under a normal trade-in. When you factor in the $10 next gen upgrade for each game, and the guaranteed $40 trade-in value from BB/FS for those games until January... it was just too easy to exploit.

Just got back from returning my copy of The Evil Within at Best Buy. The girl spent 5 minutes trying to make sure that I didn't open open the game. In the process she removed the slip cover from the game which was sealed on by tape that was probably put there before it shipped.

I got my refund in the end but the whole thing really irritated me. If she had accused me of opening it I'm not sure what I would have done. I don't think I would have left.

The game had shitty shrink wrapping but that's from the manufacturer.

Meh, just needed to vent. I was thinking of grabbing Alien Isolation but just left.

RE_Player

Just got back from returning my copy of The Evil Within at Best Buy. The girl spent 5 minutes trying to make sure that I didn't open open the game. In the process she removed the slip cover from the game which was sealed on by tape that was probably put there before it shipped.

I got my refund in the end but the whole thing really irritated me. If she had accused me of opening it I'm not sure what I would have done. I don't think I would have left.

The game had shitty shrink wrapping but that's from the manufacturer.

Meh, just needed to vent. I was thinking of grabbing Alien Isolation but just left.
I just had a shit Best Buy experience an hour ago. Went into buy some PSN cards cause I got a $20 reward zone certificate. Go up to the front and no one is at the cash registers. Find someone to call for someone to come to the front. Dude comes to the register and says you paying with debit or credit card. I say cash. He says he can't do cash so he says go to customer service to pay. I had to wait 20 minutes just because I was paying cash.

Sora_N

Yeah it took me half the day to get my. 2 games from 2 different stores and I actually went to class for 3 hours too and had a proper dinner when I got home.

Got AC and CoD. Sold CoD for $50 on craigslist lol.

The games I traded cost me $4 total.

A bunch of us were going as a group to buy the games but we only had a few worthless games that we wanted to part with. We got to best buy and checked out their used games: 5 copies of Head Coach '09 for $0.99 each. Bought them all, then stood in line and traded them in.

And you were probably glad to jave got rid 9f those copies... haha

Manitoba :,,,( We couldn't trade anything in

You were able to, as I had spent the whole morning standing in line at both Best Buy and FutureShop on St. James Street.

If I recall correctly, initially Manitoba wasn't on the list, but it was updated at midnight to include it. Both stores were fricken crazy as hell.

Went by EB to get some Gengar codes. "All gone within the first hour."

Either they're being re-sold, there was no limit per person, or they barely got any.

This is why you do Wi-Fi distributions, Nintendo.

jholmes

Either they're being re-sold, there was no limit per person, or they barely got any.

Wait, they were actual numeric codes?

I just went to EB today and forgot all about this. Sounds like I'm never getting it.

Montresor

XB1 owners, there's a pricing error at microsoftstore.ca.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Creed-Unity-for-Xbox-One/productID.304823900

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Creed-Unity-for-Xbox-One/productID.306126700

Those links both show identical products: Assassin's Creed Unity for XB1. One link shows the product at $60, and the other at $70. So you can get Unity for how much it SHOULD cost, $60, just like our American friends.

On top of that, if you're an XBL rewards member, there is a promotion where if you pre-order any game, you get 15,000 rewards points deposited in your account (that's $15).

Sora_N

This is so stupid. I don't have time to hunt around for a piece of paper. Of course they'll be gone fast...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

This is hilarious. I remember those lines being huuuuuge.

Wow.

How could that guy possibly have spinned it so that "we're gonna give away popular brand new games in exchange for shitty old games" made any sort of sense to anyone?

Megasoum

Banned
For some reason my brain ignored the SP part. That's pretty good. No region locks or anything?

Shouldn't be no, it shows English US support and a ton of other languages so looks like it's the worldwide sku. Unlike if you go on the Russian Origin site for example where it says it only supports Russian.

I got watch dog that way.

Madness

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Creed-Unity-for-Xbox-One/productID.304823900

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Creed-Unity-for-Xbox-One/productID.306126700

Those links both show identical products: Assassin's Creed Unity for XB1. One link shows the product at $60, and the other at $70. So you can get Unity for how much it SHOULD cost, $60, just like our American friends.

On top of that, if you're an XBL rewards member, there is a promotion where if you pre-order any game, you get 15,000 rewards points deposited in your account (that's $15).

MicrosoftStore in Canada is the only place I found that is selling the Master Chief Collection at $60 as well.

As for the dollar, it's dropped to the point that:

59.99 US Dollars equals

67.58 Canadian Dollars

I'm probably just going to wait to see what games I'll want to buy. Not going to pay almost $78 with tax for mediocre games anymore.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wow.

How could that guy possibly have spinned it so that "we're gonna give away popular brand new games in exchange for shitty old games" made any sort of sense to anyone?
Probably sold it to higher ups that it would get more people to think of them to trade in games instead of EB and they would make up the losses in the future that way.

Probably sold it to higher ups that it would get more people to think of them to trade in games instead of EB and they would make up the losses in the future that way.

The weirdest part about how that promotion was run was how they would do the trade-ins: each cashier would take your game and immediately begin the process of entering it into their system, figuring out the value and so on, and then doing something involving crossing out barcodes printed out on sheets of paper. So each transaction ended up taking about five minutes each, which would've been fine if there wasn't a three-hour line snaking its way through your store and well out the door.

The dumbest part, of course, was when I realized I really needed to go to the bathroom and then stayed in line for another two hours anyways. I am, if nothing else, a stupid idiot when it comes to deals.

Cheerilee

Wow.

Advertisement.

IIRC, someone said that they realized that Next Gen was right around the corner, and that gamers would be trading in piles of PS3/360/Wii games to EB/Gamestop for next to nothing and buying all-new consoles and games, which is like EB/Gamestop's favorite time of the decade, and Best Buy wanted a piece of that action.

Going into Next Gen, they wanted to send the message of "When you think of dumping your shitty old games, think of Best Buy. When you think of walking home with popular brand new games, think of Best Buy."

Leeness

Well...bought a PS4. I have joined next gen o_o

FYI for anyone wanting to get a PS4, until the 19th, with the Last of Us bundle, you get a free copy of Watch Dogs.

diaspora

Can you into exchange rates? $60 USD = $68 CAD.

Pachinko

Any good deals for a Kinectless Xbox One right now? Gotta get one for the Master Chief Collection next month.

I'll second this motion. Seems the safest bet is to buy one of the available bundles coming soon but if you don't want sunset overdrive or Call of duty 11 then .. question marks ?

Kieli

Amazon doesn't honor pricing errors, do they?

:'(

They bumped the price of EVGA to $390 like all the other e-tailers. Fml.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Walmart currently has the smash gamecube controller for $29.96 not sure if this has been posted, I'll be cancelling my amazon order for this one.

Does it work with actual Gamecubes or is it just for the Wii U?

Amazon doesn't honor pricing errors, do they?

:'(

They bumped the price of EVGA to $390 like all the other e-tailers. Fml.

It wasn't a price error, they're just selling through another retailer cause the previous one sold out. I'll raise hell if they charge me more.

Sealtest

Amazon most certainly does honour their own pricing errors. Case in point the $279 Xbox Ones and $340 PS4s

We'll find out come feb~ if they honour all those $16 order 1886's :)

I doubt they will since ive been hearing canada isn't even getting them.

Top Bottom