• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

bryt

Anyone order a system from Play-Asia before?

They got the PSTV for 59.99 USD and I'm wondering what the chances are that I will get charged duties/taxes from them.

Sealtest

Anyone order a system from Play-Asia before?

They got the PSTV for 59.99 USD and I'm wondering what the chances are that I will get charged duties/taxes from them.

Ive been told by multiple people its all on luck, some guys gets bubble mailer and pays the extra .50c and never gets charged but some people do.

I would always expect you'll be charged.

Rbk_3

Anyone else get Advanced Warfare for Future shop today? Ive never had that happen before. It's at the Post Office ready to pick up.

Anyone else get Advanced Warfare for Future shop today? Ive never had that happen before. It's at the Post Office ready to pick up.

Can you provide pics and evidence when you get it to try and strong arm my local store to sell me a copy?

I know they have them in stock already.

You can get a Z3 Compact from the Sony Store unlocked ($600) or from Clove UK (works out to about $550 after import fees, duties, etc.). I think NCIX might have them too.

The issue with buying from Clove or NCIX is that the warranty may not be valid in Canada (will have to ship it elsewhere).

Rbk_3

67f60c5c-62c9-4f39-a15b-07823fde72f3.png

Yeah it's pretty bad. Also I don't like buying games at a store where they lock all their games behind a glass panel. I don't feel like I'm not welcome there, it's like they assume that everyone who's into video games is a potential shoplifter.
Where do you buy your games then? EB usually only has empty cases on the floor, Best Buy usually locks their new releases in cases. They're not assuming anything about the video gamer demographic, video games are just expensive and really easy to steal. There's no reason to be personally offended, and if you owned a business you'd likely take similar precautions.

Yeah it's pretty bad. Also I don't like buying games at a store where they lock all their games behind a glass panel. I don't feel like I'm not welcome there, it's like they assume that everyone who's into video games is a potential shoplifter.

Where so you buy your games then physically because most major retailers here do lock their stuff away or hide it. I know EB Games does the behind the glass case thing sometimes and/ or always in drawers. BB and FS hide their stuff in cages or whatever from what I've seen. I know some local stores that have the full games on display but that's only a small amount of them the rest are always behind the counter. I don't think they're doing that out of disrespect for the customer its just an extra precaution.

5727220A-B7F4-41A4-A7F7-E3E7212B247F.jpg

Just for you big guy

I hate you so much.

Rbk_3

Where so you buy your games then physically because most major retailers here do lock their stuff away or hide it. I know EB Games does the behind the glass case thing sometimes and/ or always in drawers. BB and FS hide their stuff in cages or whatever from what I've seen. I know some local stores that have the full games on display but that's only a small amount of them the rest are always behind the counter. I don't think they're doing that out of disrespect for the customer its just an extra precaution.

I hate you so much.

You'll hate the fact that it won't be played till Monday night even more :p

Madness

So, is the XB1 confirmed to be $349.99 in Canada? How long will it last? Thank you!

At the Microsoft Store at least. I had gone in September, missed that $50 gift card and free game deal, and traded in my old Elite for $100 towards the Sunset Bundle. Paid about $299+tax.

Went back in to pick it up on Sunset launch day, just generally made conversation about the upcoming promotions for the store, the lady herself said don't worry we can apply the $50 price drop for you now. Got about $56 refunded, effectively making my Sunset bundle 249+tax. I also traded my Sunset code for about $50 amazon credit, so it's like I got the white Xbox One, got about $199+tax less than a year from launch.

I'm now almost certain the MS Store at least is dropping the price on November 2nd, I'm not sure if the old hardware promotion is extended, but even then, places like Superstore, Best Buy and Future Shop will price match Microsoft Store, so you're looking at $349.99 Xbox One pricing in Canada too.

For those wondering if it's worth to trade in. All they require is a working, non-modded console, must have A/V cables, power supply and controller. My elite didn't even have the hard drive, and they never powered on, so I'm sure you could even take a change with a broken console (they do make you sign a bunch of forms though, and say if you misrepresented console, lied, you could be held liable blah blah). It's still worth it, if the trade in promotion and the price drop is in effect to scour Craigslist or kijiji for some $50-$60 Xbox launch console, and get $100 towards it, effectively saving you about $40-$50 more.

amrod

Anyone in Calgary interested in buying my copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PlayStation 4) for $53 (What I paid for it, It arrives Monday) ... Decided to play it on PC instead

If no interest I'll just return it

antibolo

Banned

Where do you buy your games then? EB usually only has empty cases on the floor, Best Buy usually locks their new releases in cases. They're not assuming anything about the video gamer demographic, video games are just expensive and really easy to steal. There's no reason to be personally offended, and if you owned a business you'd likely take similar precautions.

BB and FS keeps some of the their new releases under cage but most of the stuff is just sitting on shelves. Totally not the same thing as Target or Walmart's "everything is behind locked glass cabinet, you fucking shoplifter" thing. Or EBGames' "we open new games and sell them at full price" bullshit that should be illegal.

When I bought Bayonetta 2 at launch day last week at my local Best Buy it was totally on shelves.

khaaan

BB and FS keeps some of the their new releases under cage but most of the stuff is just sitting on shelves. Totally not the same thing as Target or Walmart's "everything is behind locked glass cabinet, you fucking shoplifter" thing.

When I bought Bayonetta 2 at launch day last week at my local Best Buy it was totally on shelves.

In Walmarts defence (not that I ever minded the games being behind the glass) , I think they're moving away from that. The one near me has removed most of its shelves with the locked glass screens. There are only two now, one holds the consoles/handhelds they have in stock and the other holds new releases.

Random eBay question, I bought a Chromebook on eBay, seller appears to be in Toronto, I paid for the Item 5 minutes after the listing ended.

Then radio silence for 7 days, today I get an email from the seller, asking me to send him more money to cover tax, he tells me the price that eBay made me pay didnt include HST and that he will ship my item when he gets it.

What should I do?, I honestly dont feel like he should be asking me for more money via email, I no longer trust this seller, should I open a Paypal dispute?

Ryne

Random eBay question, I bought a Chromebook on eBay, seller appears to be in Toronto, I paid for the Item 5 minutes after the listing ended.

Then radio silence for 7 days, today I get an email from the seller, asking me to send him more money to cover tax, he tells me the price that eBay made me pay didnt include HST and that he will ship my item when he gets it.

What should I do?, I honestly dont feel like he should be asking me for more money via email, I no longer trust this seller, should I open a Paypal dispute?

Personally I would not send more money after the fact,I believe eBay tells you not to do that as well.

If they are collecting tax, they are required to have a GST/HST Registration number. Ask for that if you still want to go through with the sale.

Is it a business or an individual? If it's a business then they may have a case (though taxes should be included in any invoice, not added after payment). If it's an individual then they shouldn't be charging tax.

Tell him you're only willing to pay the final price and that if they don't ship it to you, you'll open a dispute.

At the Microsoft Store at least. I had gone in September, missed that $50 gift card and free game deal, and traded in my old Elite for $100 towards the Sunset Bundle. Paid about $299+tax.

Went back in to pick it up on Sunset launch day, just generally made conversation about the upcoming promotions for the store, the lady herself said don't worry we can apply the $50 price drop for you now. Got about $56 refunded, effectively making my Sunset bundle 249+tax. I also traded my Sunset code for about $50 amazon credit, so it's like I got the white Xbox One, got about $199+tax less than a year from launch.

I'm now almost certain the MS Store at least is dropping the price on November 2nd, I'm not sure if the old hardware promotion is extended, but even then, places like Superstore, Best Buy and Future Shop will price match Microsoft Store, so you're looking at $349.99 Xbox One pricing in Canada too.

For those wondering if it's worth to trade in. All they require is a working, non-modded console, must have A/V cables, power supply and controller. My elite didn't even have the hard drive, and they never powered on, so I'm sure you could even take a change with a broken console (they do make you sign a bunch of forms though, and say if you misrepresented console, lied, you could be held liable blah blah). It's still worth it, if the trade in promotion and the price drop is in effect to scour Craigslist or kijiji for some $50-$60 Xbox launch console, and get $100 towards it, effectively saving you about $40-$50 more.

Canadians can trade in the sunset code on amazon US?

Personally I would not send more money after the fact,I believe eBay tells you not to do that as well.

If they are collecting tax, they are required to have a GST/HST Registration number. Ask for that if you still want to go through with the sale.

Is it a business or an individual? If it's a business then they may have a case (though taxes should be included in any invoice, not added after payment). If it's an individual then they shouldn't be charging tax.

Tell him you're only willing to pay the final price and that if they don't ship it to you, you'll open a dispute.

Thank you guys, it appears to be a business, he sent me an official looking invoice but I know anyone can make those in Excel.

Told him that if he doesnt want to ship it at the listing price that we can open a Paypal dispute and resolve it there, got an email back right away saying "Your product will ship out Monday – it’s been a pleasure doing business with you."

He is probably going to smash my product isnt he???

Thank you guys, it appears to be a business, he sent me an official looking invoice but I know anyone can make those in Excel.

Told him that if he doesnt want to ship it at the listing price that we can open a Paypal dispute and resolve it there, got an email back right away saying "Your product will ship out Monday – it’s been a pleasure doing business with you."

He is probably going to smash my product isnt he???

As soon as your tracking shows the item out in the shipping wild, I would open the dispute. Even if it was fine, he shouldn't have asked for more money and that should be addressed to PayPal/eBay.

Also if he does something malicious then you started the dispute before you actually received the item.

koopas

Open a case via paypal for item non-receipt.

As soon as your tracking shows the item out in the shipping wild, I would open the dispute. Even if it was fine, he shouldn't have asked for more money and that should be addressed to PayPal/eBay.

Also if he does something malicious then you started the dispute before you actually received the item.

Open a case via paypal for item non-receipt.

Will do that, he sounds very passive-aggressive in the email, thanks guys.

L3E2

Anyone in Calgary interested in buying my copy of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PlayStation 4) for $53 (What I paid for it, It arrives Monday) ... Decided to play it on PC instead

If no interest I'll just return it

If no one has messaged you about it I will gladly buy it off of you if it comes in on Monday!

Cudder

I got my Best Buy E3 order of Advanced Warfare shipping notice a couple hours ago. Could I possibly be getting my copy on Monday? I've never had a Tuesday release ship before the weekend before.

Top Bottom