• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Will get a PS4 today or tomorrow... Any decent deal on bundles, accessories or decent games? I saw there's the Knack bundle at SDM, but their videogame selection is so hit-and-miss that I don't feel like going around the whole city to find one.

(And yes, I already have PS+)

LakeEarth

Same here, only they've been at Walmarts at London ON. The Hyde Park Walmart had 5 of em this morning.

The Futureshop had PS4 cameras too, but I had to get my car fixed so I can't waste the money right now.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Kitchener Toys R Us has PS4 in stock.

First time I saw in the wild.

I think the console is fairly common now. I had reserved one at Futureshop thinking it was still hard to come by, but while I was going to FS this morning I stopped by the Target and they had at least 4-5 consoles. Bought it there. Futureshop won't blacklist me or something because I didn't come to get my reservation... right?

Also, what would be the cheapest for an extra PS4 controller? I'll really need one for Mercenary Kings this week...! I saw that it's $5 cheaper on Amazon.ca, do you think Futureshop would accept a pricematch? $60-65 for a controller seems so expensive...

Lexxism

I think the console is fairly common now. I had reserved one at Futureshop thinking it was still hard to come by, but while I was going to FS this morning I stopped by the Target and they had at least 4-5 consoles. Bought it there. Futureshop won't blacklist me or something because I didn't come to get my reservation... right?

Also, what would be the cheapest for an extra PS4 controller? I'll really need one for Mercenary Kings this week...! I saw that it's $5 cheaper on Amazon.ca, do you think Futureshop would accept a pricematch? $60-65 for a controller seems so expensive...

Why not? I'm pretty sure they will accept the PM. As for reservation, already did a few times without showing up to the store and they didn't blacklist me or anything.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Why not? I'm pretty sure they will accept the PM. As for reservation, already did a few times without showing up to the store and they didn't blacklist me or anything.

I don't know. The guy at Target refused to price-match Amazon as it's "not a real store" (his words). However I think Futureshop is usually more lax when it comes to pricematch. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. No big deal if they deny it, I'll just order it on Amazon. I just want one as quickly as possible for some Mercenary Kings coop, but I'm really a cheapass so saving $5 is worth it (the PS4 will be paid by my ex-job; I won it at the Christmas party, but they needed me to buy it as they couldn't find the stock back then. Otherwise I would have never been able to afford one with my current financial situation!)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Remember when Amazon was selling them for 40 bucks that one week? I'm still not sure if I should have gotten one just for the PC. lol

Also, I'm inching closer to 200k Optimum points but nothing to spend them on. I really hope this Loblaws merger thing happens, because if SDM is getting out of electronics, then at least I can use them for groceries.

i-Jest

This is the cheapest I've seen them for In the past while. http://www.pc-canada.com/item/0711719100386.html

$13.99 shipping? they must be kidding!

Do you guys know if US Club Nintendo codes would work with a Canadian account? also US eshop game codes like those pokemon ones!

Don't think it should matter for the Club N codes. Canada and the US are grouped together as the NA region, aren't they? We share the same Club Nintendo, after all

Also, as a general question since I'm not sure where else to ask: Does anyone here who collects gaming memarobilia think the Luigi's Mansion Diorama Club Nintendo reward will gain considerable value after a few years? I have mine unopened and sealed, and thought it might be interesting to see if 6 years down the line it has a general collector value of +$150. I just finished looking on ebay and some have been getting bids at $70

Also, as a general question since I'm not sure where else to ask: Does anyone here who collects gaming memarobilia think the Luigi's Mansion Diorama Club Nintendo reward will gain considerable value after a few years? I have mine unopened and sealed, and thought it might be interesting to see if 6 years down the line it has a general collector value of +$150. I just finished looking on ebay and some have been getting bids at $70

I don't really collect stuff to sell them out but... you know what? I think that's very likely. I mean if people are paying 70 now and it was a limited time stuff, people might want it. But yeah, more chance of getting that much for if it was sealed...

Don't think it should matter for the Club N codes. Canada and the US are grouped together as the NA region, aren't they? We share the same Club Nintendo, after all

If it's getting $70 bids now I don't see why it won't get $100+ down the road, especially if it's really limited print!

I don't really collect stuff to sell them out but... you know what? I think that's very likely. I mean if people are paying 70 now and it was a limited time stuff, people might want it. But yeah, more chance of getting that much for if it was sealed...

If it's getting $70 bids now I don't see why it won't get $100+ down the road, especially if it's really limited print!

I've got a Grinch smile developing now at the thought of potentially making $200 from playing Nintendo games and having a box sitting in my closet >=)

Too bad I've spent way more than $200 on said Nintendo games...

I've got a Grinch smile developing now at the thought of potentially making $200 from playing Nintendo games and having a box sitting in my closet >=)

Well if you get that much money it sure is better than getting nothing or maybe paying more for Live to play your games :)

You could sell those games too! Maybe... (if you really wanted to break even....)

Don't get your hopes high, this is US only :(
Thought maybe people who live near the borders can take advantage!

attachment_php_attachmentid_2614262_d_1396224259.jpg

Any PS3/PS4 game deals coming up any time soon? I'm not happy with the increased prices for PS4 games...

E3. I was gonna preorder Evolve and The Crew on Amazon, as I saw they were still 59. But then I remembered Future SHop's E3 deal and decided to just do that. I will be going HARD on that deal this year, anything I'm remotely interested in. They can always be returned.

E3. I was gonna preorder Evolve and The Crew on Amazon, as I saw they were still 59. But then I remembered Future SHop's E3 deal and decided to just do that. I will be going HARD on that deal this year, anything I'm remotely interested in. They can always be returned.

You can secure them at $59 with Amazon for now then if anything better comes up during E3 then you can cancel with Amazon anytime, you won't be charged until they ship anyway. Just saying cause I have a bad feeling about FS/BB this E3, hope I'm wrong though!

I don't know. The guy at Target refused to price-match Amazon as it's "not a real store" (his words). However I think Futureshop is usually more lax when it comes to pricematch. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. No big deal if they deny it, I'll just order it on Amazon. I just want one as quickly as possible for some Mercenary Kings coop, but I'm really a cheapass so saving $5 is worth it (the PS4 will be paid by my ex-job; I won it at the Christmas party, but they needed me to buy it as they couldn't find the stock back then. Otherwise I would have never been able to afford one with my current financial situation!)

If you have a vita you could use it as a second controller. From what I was told in a different thread most games support that option.

Sweet Ivy

A couple of questions guys...

- eBates: so you confirm this is legit at all? They don't do data mining or stuff?
I don't want to sound paranoid, but it's something totally new and unusual to me, but I do TONS of purchases on the internet so...

- ThinkGeek: is there anything similar on Canadian soil?
Has anyone have any experience to share? Import taxes to be paid?
They have some nice stuff I've never found anywhere else and shipping expenses to Canada are decent.

TY!

Was going to start planning out my custom rig to order from Canadacomptuers, only to have their entire gaming side disappear because the "configuration" is not available... wait it out?

Any PS3/PS4 game deals coming up any time soon? I'm not happy with the increased prices for PS4 games...

Nothing as of now but if you want a specific title, you can always buy from Shop.ca for additional discounts. As for the deals, Walmart had a bunch of the launch games for the PS4 on sale up until last week and PSN had Tomb Raider and Thief for $30 each on PSN last week as well. These deals only last few days up to a week, so your best bet is to check this thread on a regular basis.

As shagg already pointed out, E3 will be your best bet for a more consistent deals for all the upcoming releases.

-Deimos

A couple of questions guys...

- eBates: so you confirm this is legit at all? They don't do data mining or stuff?
I don't want to sound paranoid, but it's something totally new and unusual to me, but I do TONS of purchases on the internet so...

- ThinkGeek: is there anything similar on Canadian soil?
Has anyone have any experience to share? Import taxes to be paid?
They have some nice stuff I've never found anywhere else and shipping expenses to Canada are decent.

TY!

I got $100 from ebates. Seems legit.

Was going to start planning out my custom rig to order from Canadacomptuers, only to have their entire gaming side disappear because the "configuration" is not available... wait it out?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you planned specs? I haven't built a PC since college and I'm jealous :p

I have a question for people who ordered Infamous Second Son from Shop.ca. For those that got rewards credit added to their accounts, after getting the game, how much did you get back in rewards point? I got $1.41 back but the page says up to $3.00. Anyone get the full amount?

http://www.shop.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10301&productId=5070851&langId=-1&storeId=10201

Rebate depends on how much you paid. Coupons, codes, credit, etc don't count.

You can secure them at $59 with Amazon for now then if anything better comes up during E3 then you can cancel with Amazon anytime, you won't be charged until they ship anyway. Just saying cause I have a bad feeling about FS/BB this E3, hope I'm wrong though!

I have a feeling Futureshop's going to do the same $20 off each game promotion, but now it'll be subtracted from the $70 game prices. So, it's $50 per game instead of the $40 it's been in the past. Really sucks, in my opinion; borderline whether or not I'm willing to spend that much on games. One thing I know for sure: I will NEVER spend $70 on a game. That means Futureshop E3 sales and Tsilon 2.0 are my only hopes for actually buying games brand new.

I have a feeling Futureshop's going to do the same $20 off each game promotion, but now it'll be subtracted from the $70 game prices. So, it's $50 per game instead of the $40 it's been in the past. Really sucks, in my opinion; borderline whether or not I'm willing to spend that much on games. One thing I know for sure: I will NEVER spend $70 on a game. That means Futureshop E3 sales and Tsilon 2.0 are my only hopes for actually buying games brand new.

I think it'll be even worse, honestly. Last year was technically not $20 off, but 33% off (so handheld games, for example, got a lesser discount). I think this year, if they do anything for E3, it'll just be the same kind of deal but a lower percentage to match $20 off on the most expensive games. So not only will it only be $20 off $70, but all the other discounts will scale to match that new lower percentage. That's assuming they don't also drop the highest discount to be $15 or $10 off only.

I think we're in for some rough times where video game prices are concerned. Suddenly I'm that much gladder that I built up a stupid backlog in previous years, because now I don't have to buy any games!

zroid

Banned
I think it'll be even worse, honestly. Last year was technically not $20 off, but 33% off (so handheld games, for example, got a lesser discount).

to be fair, in the previous year I'm pretty sure handheld games were excluded outright. only way some of us got $20 off handheld games in 2012 was with tsilon, and the selection was limited even so.

last year's 33% off anything deal was pretty darn good.

iphys

They're going to need some sort of E3 deal to convince anyone to pre-order games with all the prices going up. If they don't, I'll happily play all the games on my backlog and forget about buying any new games till they eventually go on sale.

$1500 can net you a hell of a rig. Especially if you exclude a monitor.

He mentioned he hasn't done anything to his since 2004, so I'm guessing he is going to need a new monitor as well.

I will build one next year when that Dell 4K Ultrasharp goes down in price from $3500. You need a beast to power that and run games on it at native resolution.

They're going to need some sort of E3 deal to convince anyone to pre-order games with all the prices going up. If they don't, I'll happily play all the games on my backlog and forget about buying any new games till they eventually go on sale.

I'm sure there will be one, perhaps a little different from the past ones but they sure will do a promotion.

farisr

Yup, definitely. I'm waiting for E3 for some deals to get games again, but if that E3 deal doesn't show up, a game is going to have to be REALLY mindblowing in order for me to purchase it.

I have an evergrowing ps3 backlog anyways, so I can always start attacking that if I run into a drought period.

Top Bottom