• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

i-Jest

So, I was checking Kijiji and saw an ad for someone selling a PS4 for $300. I figured it was someone with buyer's remorse. I replied to the ad and here's what I got in response:

I'm pretty sure this is a scam right? What's their end game? I send them the money and they just don't send anything? The PS4's are stolen?

Kijiji + shipping = scam up and down the god damn yinyang. Don't bother replying. Besides, sellers on Kijji most likely know of the PS4's price hike. This gives them a reason to sell used units at say $400, maybe a bit higher.

So, I was checking Kijiji and saw an ad for someone selling a PS4 for $300. I figured it was someone with buyer's remorse. I replied to the ad and here's what I got in response:

I'm pretty sure this is a scam right? What's their end game? I send them the money and they just don't send anything? The PS4's are stolen?

Absolutely a scam, never pay for shipping on Kijiji.

i-Jest

Has anyone seen the POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station? I can't seem to find it on the Canadian side of retail. I'd consider importing but I'd rather not like to deal with UPS. The console and camera now have stable stock but this is the one peripheral I want for my console atm.

Has anyone seen the POWER A DualShock 4 Controller Charging Station? I can't seem to find it on the Canadian side of retail. I'd consider importing but I'd rather not like to deal with UPS. The console and camera now have stable stock but this is the one peripheral I want for my console atm.
Been sold out in Canada for months. Trust me, I've checked.

Yeah, had a feeling people will be discouraged away with $50 increase. XBO doesn't seem out of reach now with the price increase.

Well up until ~Thursday, they can still price match at places like Walmart or Target with The Source's flyer ($399).

In fact, I got the flyer from a The Source retail location yesterday and it still had the typo.

Since there has been some talking about custom fees, I just received a clothing item worth ~$49 coming from the US by Canada Post and I paid $22 at my door step -_-
I hate that it's so random cause I bought so many bigger shipments and didn't pay a penny!

Anybody knows which is better for importing from the UK, Game.co.uk or ***********?
I'm preordering Child of Light and Shopto is like 3 pounds more expensive but I wanna know if one is better in terms of shipping and dealing with in general!

espher

Since there has been some talking about custom fees, I just received a clothing item worth ~$49 coming from the US by Canada Post and I paid $22 at my door step -_-
I hate that it's so random cause I bought so many bigger shipments and didn't pay a penny!

I got a small box (like two DVD cases thick) with effectively costume jewelry and paid $30.

Meanwhile I've had board games shipped from Kickstarters in giant boxes and paid nothing.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's product. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the price drop for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Big Chungus

Anyone know if Walmart would exchange a copy of infamous for a new copy?

My copy was loose in the case and now it seems to have trouble loading.

I bought it a week and a half ago and still have the receipt.

FrsDvl

Anyone from Calgary that could recommend some pubs/restaurants in downtown Calgary? Me and the girl are going to go to the Calgary comic expo this year, and we have both never been to Calgary. Were going to be staying at the Marriot hotel (110 9th Ave), and would love some recommendations of good places to go to, preferably in walking distance.

Won't hurt to try, I think. If you reason that you just want a new copy because it doesn't work and have the receipt, I don't see why they won't let you exchange :)

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the price drop for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I'm... Still going to get one when FFXV comes out, if not KH3. Been waiting nearly a decade for KH3 =S

Wal-Mart's, in my experience, been very slack with returns. If you still have the receipt, there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone from Calgary that could recommend some pubs/restaurants in downtown Calgary? Me and the girl are going to go to the Calgary comic expo this year, and we have both never been to Calgary. Were going to be staying at the Marriot hotel (110 9th Ave), and would love some recommendations of good places to go to, preferably in walking distance.

Depends what you're into, mate! =) Around that area are bars like Milestones, Ceili's, and Hudson's - the last two are alright. If you go down Stephen Avenue, you'll find plenty of places, haven't tried many there though. For food, there's a cheap (like $15-$20/person) Vietnamese joint called the Oriental Phoenix that I enjoy. Or, if you're looking to pull out the stops, I've gone to Escoba before and it was so delicious ={ But like most ritzy places, you won't leave there completely full. If you can make it to a place called Fergus & Bix (a little out of your specified range), I think that's the best bar, little pricey though. If you're into sushi, there's surprisingly a good number of places around you, some are all-you-can-eat like Sushi Tokyo and some are your typical, but tasty, places like the one in Eau Claire market. For Italian, I don't know about many places in dowtown for Italian, but if you're willing to take transit there are two places called Chianti's that are very close to train stations. Not expensive, tasty, and filling. I've also heard really good things about a place called Una's but I haven't gone there yet. For breakfast, you can probably walk over to the Kensington area of dowtown and find a small place for a homemade bite. Hope it somewhat helps

Oh yeah, there's also a popular place called Craft Beer Market close to where you'd be. It's a local-favourite, and they've got 100 different drafts on tap

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's product. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Honour bro, you just brought brought shame upon yourself.

Are you sure you're talking about Canadian culture, and not Japanese or something? I've never heard (or really experienced) what you're talking about

Are you sure you're talking about Canadian culture, and not Japanese or something? I've never heard (or really experienced) what you're talking about

It's a parody referencing both that Square-Enix post and that coincidentally, there are plenty of PS4s sitting on shelves just as the price went up $50. :p

I think this was supposed to be funny when someone wrote something similar when FFXIII was announced for Xbox 360. I hear you man... :lol

The last time I exchanged an opened game was in 2006 because I had an issue with it. That was with Futureshop though.

Give it a try and see how it goes.

zroid

Banned
I don't suppose anyone has spotted a deal for a PS3 recently? My (backwards compatible ;_;) console YLOD'd a couple days ago and I suppose I'll need a replacement sooner than later.

I don't really want the 12GB model but in a worst case I guess I can get that and use the HDD from my old PS3.

iLLmAtlc

I don't suppose anyone has spotted a deal for a PS3 recently? My (backwards compatible ;_;) console YLOD'd a couple days ago and I suppose I'll need a replacement sooner than later.

I don't really want the 12GB model but in a worst case I guess I can get that and use the HDD from my old PS3.

Do you use your BC very regularly? If not the Slim is the way to go, I have a 320GB one and you will not believe how quiet it is compared to an aging fat and I heard the 12GB one is even quieter.

I was in the same boat, 80GB BC YLOD and wanted a BC to replace it initially but I didn't trust used ones (could have already YLOD, I ask if the warranty sticker is still in tact and they always say no). But yeah I have a slim now and I couldn't be happier with it

zroid

Banned
Well I'm certainly going to miss the BC, and I was thinking about doing a DIY repair for a while, but I'm not really confident it will work afterwards and the fact I'll probably have to spend ~$40 on tools is kind of a wash.

Probably just going to suck it up and get a new one. Are slims even available anymore?

i-Jest

Has anyone seen any Midnight Purple 3DS unites at any Best Buy or Futureshop in Toronto? If not then it's off to EB. I'd rather not use my instore credit yet though.

mdubs

Banned
Seriously though, I planning on picking up a PS4 when it was back on shelves for $399 just because, but with the $50 increase and the flooding of stock to coincide with this doesn't sit right with me. I'll be waiting for a game that really interests me to come out for it

new target flyer shows "save $10" on certain 3DS PS4 titles, not sure if it applies to more or not, it wasnt very specific

Looks like it's only the ones listed:
Injustice
Ghosts
Just Dance
Rivals
BF4
Black Flag
Killzone
NBA
Angry Birds
TMNT
Mario Party
Dream Team
Link Between Worlds
Luigi's Mansion
Pokemon Y

Seriously though, I planning on picking up a PS4 when it was back on shelves for $399 just because, but with the $50 increase and the flooding of stock to coincide with this doesn't sit right with me. I'll be waiting for a game that really interests me to come out for it

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread much... but 'The Source' made a bunch of errors and had the PS4 listed online and on their flyers for $399 still a few days ago.

They don't have it listed online now but apparently the flyers are still around and various places were price matching it (Walmart, Futureshop, Best Buy etc). Know of quite a few people getting it for $399.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well I'm certainly going to miss the BC, and I was thinking about doing a DIY repair for a while, but I'm not really confident it will work afterwards and the fact I'll probably have to spend ~$40 on tools is kind of a wash.

Probably just going to suck it up and get a new one. Are slims even available anymore?

You might be able to find the first version of the slims at some Shoppers stores.

I would play it safe and get the latest one with the sliding Blu Ray door(which is what I did) because apparently they run the coolest.

I bought mine from Staples during one of their 10% off anything in store deals.

Pachinko

There's a pretty good burger joint (sit down pub) across the street from the expo. Lounge burger was the name. It's not like the end of all of burger places but I enjoyed it, been there once a year for 3 years now. There's also a ton of pubs on the "red mile" (8th avenue). I enjoy a beef dip from original joes now and then but it's not exactly some kind of rarity to find one of those.

Also GAF, I have to admit I'm weak willed, bought a PS4 this week almost entirely because I could :( It's been fun so far though.

There's a pretty good burger joint (sit down pub) across the street from the expo. Lounge burger was the name. It's not like the end of all of burger places but I enjoyed it, been there once a year for 3 years now. There's also a ton of pubs on the "red mile" (8th avenue). I enjoy a beef dip from original joes now and then but it's not exactly some kind of rarity to find one of those.

Also GAF, I have to admit I'm weak willed, bought a PS4 this week almost entirely because I could :( It's been fun so far though.

The Red Mile is 17th Ave SW.

If you don't want to spend too much for food, there is a mall downtown called TD Square - top floor is the food court. If you like Lebanese food there is a restaurant called Villa Medina which is pretty good. I ate there today - lunch special was chicken schwarma plate for about $7.

I'd suggest more but i dont eat out that much.

Check out Yelp when you are in town.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
My ps3 died last night. Disks aren't recognized/wont spin. I tried cleaning the lens, no go.

Any good deals on ps3s now or sometime in the future? Bleh, now I wish ps4 was BC, I have too many unfinished ps3 games to not get another one.

mdubs

Banned
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread much... but 'The Source' made a bunch of errors and had the PS4 listed online and on their flyers for $399 still a few days ago.

They don't have it listed online now but apparently the flyers are still around and various places were price matching it (Walmart, Futureshop, Best Buy etc). Know of quite a few people getting it for $399.

Thanks, I did read about this but decided it wasn't worth the trouble to bug my local Future Shop with it. They've been good to me over the years so I don't want to push my luck there, and they're the only store I shop from because of the service I've received. I'll just wait it out for a long time, there's enough other stuff coming out anyways.

My ps3 died last night. Disks aren't recognized/wont spin. I tried cleaning the lens, no go.

Any good deals on ps3s now or sometime in the future? Bleh, now I wish ps4 was BC, I have too many unfinished ps3 games to not get another one.

I know that there are few people herr looking to get a PS3 to finish up their backlog and move on to the PS4.

If you guys dont want to spend a ton on a last gen device just for few unfinished games, try looking for a console on Kijiji/craigslist. I know it is never advisable to buy a console there but to be honest, there are a lot of legit people selling theirs so they could move on to the new ones.

Worth checking out.

zroid

Banned
Ironically I probably would have been looking at a PS4 now if it were BC. Instead I'll have to get another PS3 and that will set me back budget-wise on getting a PS4 for even longer. Might be looking at late 2015 now, hopefully after a price drop.

mf.luder

golfclap.gif

Top Bottom