• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Rbk_3

Oh for shit sakes. My Halo came yesterday and was at the post office for pickup but I was going to wait until today cause I had to work nights only to realize the damn post office is closed.

Wal mart is now price matching Amazon Canada. At least the ones in my area, they weren't sure themselves if it was a regional decision or nationwide. Maybe for Christmas only.

Price matched my E3 preorder of Assassins Creed Unity for $44.96

Aske

Looking to buy a WiiU, and I'm confused about the bundles. Is the Walmart exclusive Mario Kart 8 bundle still a thing? It's on the Walmart.ca website for $299, but I thought it was a super limited thing that sold out back in the summer. Damn store stock checker isn't working.

Aside from that, I'm seeing Mario 3D World and NSMB bundles for the same price, but neither of those pack-ins really interest me. I'm getting the system for Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, but I'd be very happy to pay $300 and score Mario Kart 8. Will I have any luck finding the MK bundle, or am I going to have to wait and see if we get anything new and compelling for the holidays? Be great to pay $300 and get the system with Smash, but if the MK8 bundle is disappearing I should probably jump on it now.

Edit: Nice, looks like I can get the MK8 bundle online. Does indeed seem to be in stock. But where the hell are the Pro controllers? Amazon is out of stock, BB and FS don't list them, and Walmart doesn't sell them online. I just want to play Bayonetta properly.

khaaan

Bestbuy sent me a 20% off any game for $39.99 because my birthday is coming up, that was cool of them...though I don't know where they got my birthday information from.

i-Jest

Looking to buy a WiiU, and I'm confused about the bundles. Is the Walmart exclusive Mario Kart 8 bundle still a thing? It's on the Walmart.ca website for $299, but I thought it was a super limited thing that sold out back in the summer. Damn store stock checker isn't working.

Aside from that, I'm seeing Mario 3D World and NSMB bundles for the same price, but neither of those pack-ins really interest me. I'm getting the system for Bayonetta and Wonderful 101, but I'd be very happy to pay $300 and score Mario Kart 8. Will I have any luck finding the MK bundle, or am I going to have to wait and see if we get anything new and compelling for the holidays? Be great to pay $300 and get the system with Smash, but if the MK8 bundle is disappearing I should probably jump on it now.

Edit: Nice, looks like I can get the MK8 bundle online. Does indeed seem to be in stock. But where the hell are the Pro controllers? Amazon is out of stock, BB and FS don't list them, and Walmart doesn't sell them online. I just want to play Bayonetta properly.

I don't believe these bundles were a retailer exclusive. Yeah Walmart.ca has them back. Probably for the holiday rush. After that batch is done, I don't see it coming back. The other retailers aren't stocking it as far as I can tell. So that's probably a sign that this one is the last. I guess you can wait and see if anything appealing comes along. Nintendo might just announce a Smash U bundle, just to take advantage of the hype. If Bayo 2 and W101 are your main attraction and MK8 only sweetens the deal then just get that bundle.

Don't know where you are in Canada but it was reported yesterday that FS was selling W101 for bargain bin prices. So check you local FS to see what they have.

snack

Man... I'm looking for a smash wii u bundle and it's nowhere to be found.

I'm sure I can't be the only one wanting a wii u just to play smash.

Is Best Buy's return policy the same as Futureshop's? I preordered Assassin's Creed (I didnt even remember that I did lol) and there's no way that I want to play this game now. I can just go to any BB and return it without the receipt?

I'm off work the week of black Friday. Worth doing an over nighter to the States to go shopping (Buffalo)?

With the conversion rate it doesn't look like it's worth it

Yeah with the conversion, it isn't worth the trip anymore. Depends on what you buying though.

Is Best Buy's return policy the same as Futureshop's? I preordered Assassin's Creed (I didnt even remember that I did lol) and there's no way that I want to play this game now. I can just go to any BB and return it without the receipt?

Yes and yes you can.

Liberty4all

Banned
If we go, it would be a one or two day overnight thing (Wednesday - Friday most likely).

We would be shopping for everything ... clothes, electronics, Xmas gifts, etc ... most likely spending the max each (I believe it's 800 per person now, so 1600 US total). It would be a bit of a get away too just to get out of Toronto for a bit. I'm not clear though how bad the traffic may or may not be on Black Friday in Buffalo.

theRizzle

Deal with traffic, the border, traffic in the States, Black Friday crowds at the stores......how much $$ is your time worth to you?

There is no traffic in Buffalo. I went there for the first time in about 10 years last year and couldn't believe how few people there were. That city is dying.

Buffalo_NY_historical_population.png

Sora_N

Soooo Alien Isolation was actually in stock at the FS I went to yesterday....but the moronic people working there couldn't find it.

I did an ISPU for the game on the website and got an email saying it's ready for pickup. There's no way they would get new stock on Remembrance Day (very unlikely).

I made another purchase yesterday anyway at the store, did the survey and wrote a lengthy complaint for wasting my time. I hate shopping B&M when shit like this happens.

Aske

I don't believe these bundles were a retailer exclusive. Yeah Walmart.ca has them back. Probably for the holiday rush. After that batch is done, I don't see it coming back. The other retailers aren't stocking it as far as I can tell. So that's probably a sign that this one is the last. I guess you can wait and see if anything appealing comes along. Nintendo might just announce a Smash U bundle, just to take advantage of the hype. If Bayo 2 and W101 are your main attraction and MK8 only sweetens the deal then just get that bundle.

Don't know where you are in Canada but it was reported yesterday that FS was selling W101 for bargain bin prices. So check you local FS to see what they have.

Nice, thanks for the info. Will definitely check for the W101 deal!

Amazon hasn't shipped Unity yet.......I'm thinking of cancelling......what is their return policy?

Hmmm, it's November so I have until January 1st to return it....

I guess I'll see if they are able to fix the glitches with patches =/

Edit - Was able to cancel it, if Ubisoft is able to fix it I'll buy it when it goes on sale in a few months

Hilti92

20x at Shoppers on Saturday for anyone looking for a last-minute deal to get a Wii U ahead of Smash Bros. Also, there's a gift card promo this week where you can get 8000 bonus points for spending $200 on 2+ gift cards, which you can do for up to 3 transactions, so you could use this promo to stock up on shoppers gift cards to use for the 20x.
Where does it say it's 20x? I haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

Lol took me nearly 15 minutes to pick up Alien from Best Buy. Retail..

Retail ftw, outside of saving disc drives.

I'm still waiting for the local library to get Alien in. It's listed on their site, but I don't know if they ever will. I'm also waiting on Forza Horizon 2 360 and Borderlands through there, and doubt they'll ever come in.

Good thing I've already beat FH2's better version and don't care too much about the others right now.

Anth0ny

Just got off the phone with my local EB Games:

EB: hi eb games pre order some fucking bullshit get a special gamer card you can't even hear what i'm saying cause i'm talking so fast bob speaking

Me: Hi, I was wondering if I could pre-order the Smash Bros Gamecube Controller bundle?

EB: No, it's sold out.

Me: Oh. Are you doing a midnight release for the game?

EB: Yes.

Me: Would I be able to get the bundle if I show up to the midnight release?

EB: Why don't you just pre-order?

*starts talking to customer*

Me: I'm interested in the bundle?

Me: I want the $100 bundle with the controller.

EB: I just told you it's sold out. Bye.

*hangs up*

I should really consider digital only.

Just got off the phone with my local EB Games:

EB: hi eb games pre order some fucking bullshit get a special gamer card you can't even hear what i'm saying cause i'm talking so fast bob speaking

Me: Hi, I was wondering if I could pre-order the Smash Bros Gamecube Controller bundle?

EB: No, it's sold out.

Me: Oh. Are you doing a midnight release for the game?

EB: Yes.

Me: Would I be able to get the bundle if I show up to the midnight release?

*starts talking to customer*

Me: I'm interested in the bundle?

Me: I want the $100 bundle with the controller.

EB: I just told you it's sold out. Bye.

*hangs up*

I should really consider digital only.

This is usually my experience with EB games, and most retail outlets. I order my games from Amazon and they usually show up on release day, and when I don't care about a physical copy then I just go digital.

Only time I go to EB anymore is if I need to trade something in and they have a special value promo or something.

All of these horror stories about EB Games. The ones I've been to have been really good.

There's one in the local mall that I stopped going to, though, because they're always so busy and tend to be somewhat rude there.

All of these horror stories about EB Games. The ones I've been to have been really good.

There's one in the local mall that I stopped going to, though, because they're always so busy and tend to be somewhat rude there.

I find that, with retail stores, a lot of your experience will come down to the management of that particular store.

I used to work at The Source, and I would tell everyone never to go there or buy anything because most of the employees at our locations were complete morons. The only reason our store was legitimately good is that my manager was an extremely proud and intelligent person, who was very good at hiring competent, professional people.

I believe there's probably plenty of EB stores out there with some great customer service, but the majority of the ones I see are full of grossly uninformed people who give no shits about their job or customers.

I find that, with retail stores, a lot of your experience will come down to the management of that particular store.

I used to work at The Source, and I would tell everyone never to go there or buy anything because most of the employees at our locations were complete morons. The only reason our store was legitimately good is that my manager was an extremely proud and intelligent person, who was very good at hiring competent, professional people.

I believe there's probably plenty of EB stores out there with some great customer service, but the majority of the ones I see are full of grossly uninformed people who give no shits about their job or customers.

Oh, it definitely does. I'm just trying to say that my good experiences have greatly outweighed my bad ones at multiple stores.

Top Bottom