• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I know that there are few people herr looking to get a PS3 to finish up their backlog and move on to the PS4.

If you guys dont want to spend a ton on a last gen device just for few unfinished games, try looking for a console on Kijiji/craigslist. I know it is never advisable to buy a console there but to be honest, there are a lot of legit people selling theirs so they could move on to the new ones.

Worth checking out.

Yeah, I am gonna check there too.

Maybe a stupid question but I had upgraded my harddrive in my fat ps3. If I get the new 12gig one, can i put that same harddrive in it? (Regular laptop one I believe)

And yes, I know it will have to be reformatted. I just wanna know if the 12G is an option at this point.

Xenoflare

Can anyone help me out?

It seems only EB games carry the original 3DS now. Which is quite alarming though, because I just checked the site last week and saw Amazon along with EB, and now it's just down to EB games.

Of course, there is a possibility that some other stores might have left overs, but right now it seems like only EB is stocking them, and last time I checked, it's sold out at my local branch.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buy/#/3ds-purple

I certainly hope this doesn't mean the regular one will be discontinued soon, I know people tend to write off the original after the XL, but I really liked the original due to it's size and colors. I have a faux-flame red mario 3d land bundle, it doesn't have the metal accent or the tri-color gradient.

It seems like 2DS is replacing the "cheaper option", which is a shame, because that is just an abomination. .

Zing

Banned
The regular 3DS is indeed discontinued.

However, my local Toys R Us not only has the regular 3DS, but still has several of the "big box" versions, with the originally included charging dock. My Best Buy has a variety of colors of the regular 3DS as well.

These things may no longer be listed on their websites, as they are discontinued, but there is plenty of leftover stock. The Source, and even Shoppers Drug Mart near me have regular 3DS in stock. They even have DSi systems if you want a chuckle.

Xenoflare

However, my local Toys R Us not only has the regular 3DS, but still has several of the "big box" versions, with the originally included charging dock. My Best Buy has a variety of colors of the regular 3DS as well.

These things may no longer be listed on their websites, as they are discontinued, but there is plenty of leftover stock. The Source, and even Shoppers Drug Mart near me have regular 3DS in stock. They even have DSi systems if you want a chuckle.

I think EB games are still selling them, as I said, it's still on Nintendo's webpage as a reseller, (and the only one) Hopefully someone who works there can explain the situations better, it would really be a shame considering that the Midnight Purple hasn't really been on the market for that long.

It's definitely not being longer carried from the majority of the stores. My local target has a few in stock, but no purples, only black and pink.

My local superstore has DSlite at $160 bundled with a cooking game that nobody wants.I don't know how long they've been sitting there. No regular 3DS's at all in the stores near where I live. Just the XL and the hideous 2DS.

iphys

If you can find any video games you want on Shop.ca, greatcanadianrebates.ca is giving 12% cashback, and the promo code RETAILMENOT gives you $10 off a $40 purchase (you also don't pay taxes on that $10 off either, so it saves you a little extra).

Did everyone who ordered PS4s from Shop.ca ultimately get them?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
If you can find any video games you want on Shop.ca, greatcanadianrebates.ca is giving 12% cashback, and the promo code RETAILMENOT gives you $10 off a $40 purchase (you also don't pay taxes on that $10 off either, so it saves you a little extra).

Been wanting to order from there for a while, but do they ever restock? Everything is always "out of stock" every time I check...

iphys

They don't seem to restock stuff typically, so with the exception of new releases, I think most of the games they have in stock are just junk that's been sitting around for a long time that no one wants. I wish they just wouldn't show the sold out stuff, because it's annoying when you keep clicking on everything and realizing it's all sold out.

jet1911

I was going to order from there but I see that I still have a -13.34$ reward credits because of a mistake they made. Looks like they won't see my money...

iphys

I have a -$4 rewards credit, and they're just applying rewards credits I earn with each purchase against it, rather than charging me extra for any purchase because of it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

i-Jest

Are they officially discontinued? I thought they were in the phasing out process if anything.

I think EB games are still selling them, as I said, it's still on Nintendo's webpage as a reseller, (and the only one) Hopefully someone who works there can explain the situations better, it would really be a shame considering that the Midnight Purple hasn't really been on the market for that long.

It's definitely not being longer carried from the majority of the stores. My local target has a few in stock, but no purples, only black and pink.

My local superstore has DSlite at $160 bundled with a cooking game that nobody wants.I don't know how long they've been sitting there. No regular 3DS's at all in the stores near where I live. Just the XL and the hideous 2DS.

Just made a call to an EB. Yeah, it's low stock all around. I believe it's actually cheaper for Nintendo to make the XL considering the type of materials and color schemes it takes to make a regular in comparison.

I have a -$4 rewards credit, and they're just applying rewards credits I earn with each purchase against it, rather than charging me extra for any purchase because of it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I was going to order from there but I see that I still have a -13.34$ reward credits because of a mistake they made. Looks like they won't see my money...

Have you guys contacted customer service? I emailed them recently regarding instore credit and they got back to me by the next day.

iphys

Have you guys contacted customer service? I emailed them recently regarding instore credit and they got back to me by the next day.

Mine was from that $15 promo code that it turned out was only supposed to be for people that bought food from Swiss Chalet, and then they gave me a $10 credit for some random reason shortly after they deducted the $15, so I really can't complain about just losing $5 credit out of the whole thing.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone seen any Midnight Purple 3DS unites at any Best Buy or Futureshop in Toronto? If not then it's off to EB. I'd rather not use my instore credit yet though.

I ended up getting my Midnight Purple 3DS from Target in Square One. They also had really low stock. I live in Mississauga but work in Toronto, so I checked downtown first and nada.

Palehorse

The lack of deals lately in this thread is depressing :(

Yes, true. I keep coming in hoping for something amazing but leave with my head full of info on Calgary restaurants and Walmart exchange policies.

I'm not sure why the deals have dried up. Blaming the dollar is popular except that once you've raised prices won't you end up with the same margin by giving a sale that you'd have gotten pre-crash? And if those deals generated business won't they have seen a big drop in revenue by no longer putting on deals?

Or are they worried that a deal on the new high price won't be as attractive as a deal on the old hotness price was, so why bother with the cost of putting a sale on when it won't pay off with increased sales.

Customers are gun-shy of anything except a $40 pricetag and so wont' be attracted by a $50 sale.

Retailers need to wait for us to go back to a dormant state, having accepted the $70 tag, and then they can roll out the $50 sale price and we'll all celebrate such a great sale.

did that originate here? if so props because i see it all over the internet.

yeah it did.

one of the few good things GAF produced. When you think about it, the best stuff come from the meltdown threads.

Here it is from the FFXIII going multiplatform at E3 2008.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11960243&postcount=1766

any XBLGold deals flying around?

I can't seem to find them but in the old thread I did post a link where you can always find them online for around $40, give or take few $$.

EDIT: Here

http://crazygametime.com/store/xbox-live/8-12-months-xbox-live-gold-membership.html

ohlawd

are there sites I can use for old games? I wanna buy Etrian Odyssey III for DS. Amazon.ca is hitting me for 30 bucks total including shipping.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's product. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the price drop for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I'm ...... not sure if this is a sarcastic joke post, but I agree. I was all set to purchase a PS4 once a big box store like Best Buy had them in stock (a place with an easy return/exchange policy just in case) and after the obvious withholding of stock so they could implement the price hike, THEN restock stores, it's completely soured me on next gen and have decided to stick with my ps3/Wii U and Vita/3DS. plenty of games in my backlog without getting gouged by a greedy company like this. yeah i know all companies are greedy, but Sony crossed the line with me.

krae_man

I find it hilarious that so many people don't know the "shot themselves in the foot" meme, but then again it happened 6 years go.

orochi91

I recently bought the last PS4 at my local Target in Mississauga. The best part,
after taxes I only paid around $380 thanks to some discounts through my buddies
employed there. BOOM!

I find it hilarious that so many people don't know the "shot themselves in the foot" meme, but then again it happened 6 years go.

For reference I did post a link few posts above to the original post. One of the classic E3 moments of GAF and I was in college back then. Old times.

iphys

Update on the 3DS XL for $150 at SDM this weekend. In the Quebec flyer it was Saturday/Sunday, but elsewhere it seems to be Sunday/Monday. 18500 bonus points for spending $75 Sat-Tues.

So for those of you in market for a PS4, Dell has it on sale today for $429.99.

A7638345.jpg

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Playstation/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A7638345&dgc=AF&cid=3881&lid=77903&acd=CAqD7bLWUPI-exq4VHihHvCIO1dImeynqQ

Here is a coupon for an additional $25 off bringing the price down to $404.99
4$$?KQTTB0NNW2

Act fast and probably the best PS4 deal in the market.

curb

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Canadian culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Canada, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the canadian public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS4, nor will they purchase any of Sony's product. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the price drop for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Is this a thing that's going around today? Am I missing a joke?

Microsoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Japan where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase any MS game studios game for the Xbox One, nor will they purchase any of the 3rd party games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Microsoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Microsoft, publicly apologize and cancel Titanfall for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106798334&postcount=134

Im trying to buy something at nyko.com but they wont ship to Canada, anyone has any experience on how to deal with this??

Is there an intermediary I can trust that will receive my package and ship the item to me in Ontario, hopefully without charging an arm and a leg??

zroid

Banned
Welp I got my replacement PS3. It's the 250GB Uncharted 3 SuperSlim bundle. (Already have Uncharted 3 but what can ya do)

Shoppers for $249.99. Seniors discount brought it down to $199.99 and then I redeemed 95000 points. There go all my points, lol! Would have used them on a PS4 otherwise probably.

Xenoflare

Just made a call to an EB. Yeah, it's low stock all around. I believe it's actually cheaper for Nintendo to make the XL considering the type of materials and color schemes it takes to make a regular in comparison.

Did you happen to ask them whether or not they're still restocking? I've heard that many stores hasn't really been getting new stocks for a while.

stn

What's the deal with Amazon? I used to order with super saver shipping and I'd receive the item the next day or day after that. Now, over a day and my package hasn't even shipped. Seems like they lowered the quality deliberately in order to entice people to sign up for Prime. How long has it been like this?

What's the deal with Amazon? I used to order with super saver shipping and I'd receive the item the next day or day after that. Now, over a day and my package hasn't even shipped. Seems like they lowered the quality deliberately in order to entice people to sign up for Prime. How long has it been like this?
years. isn't that the free shipping?

Kazerei

Banned
Welp I got my replacement PS3. It's the 250GB Uncharted 3 SuperSlim bundle. (Already have Uncharted 3 but what can ya do)

Shoppers for $249.99. Seniors discount brought it down to $199.99 and then I redeemed 95000 points. There go all my points, lol! Would have used them on a PS4 otherwise probably.

Nice. I use my mom and dad for seniors discounts too.

I assume you're not a senior yourself, right? >_>

Cheerilee

I got two packages from Amazon in the past month, they were both preorders with free shipping, the preorder price protection automatically kicked in and lowered both of them to below the free shipping threshold but I still got free shipping anyways, they "shipped" at around 10PM on the day before launch day, and I got them both on their launch days.

You win some, you lose some.

Top Bottom