• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Liberty4all

Banned
I walked into shoppers yesterday looking for those 20 dollar deals after reading about it here and on RFD. 500 dollars later I walked out with a Wii U (super Mario 3D/nint land combo), Mario kart 8, a pro controller and assorted toiletries. And 99k points.

I'd been looking for a deal on a Wii u for awhile now with smash coming and this seemed like a killer deal with the $170 worth of points.

Yasumi

Banned
Whoa, got my Hatsune Miku Project Diva f 2nd shipping confirmation a few hours ago. I might actually get it tomorrow. Thanks Futureshop.

iphys

I walked into shoppers yesterday looking for those 20 dollar deals after reading about it here and on RFD. 500 dollars later I walked out with a Wii U (super Mario 3D/nint land combo), Mario kart 8, a pro controller and assorted toiletries. And 99k points.

I'd been looking for a deal on a Wii u for awhile now with smash coming and this seemed like a killer deal with the $170 worth of points.

Nice. The points will probably get you around $210 at the bonus redemption, or if you wait, my favourite redemptions are the ones where they let you redeem 95K for $170 and then give you 30K in bonus points, so it effectively only costs 65K for $170.

-Deimos

Nice. The points will probably get you around $210 at the bonus redemption, or if you wait, my favourite redemptions are the ones where they let you redeem 95K for $170 and then give you 30K in bonus points, so it effectively only costs 65K for $170.
When does this usually happen?

Nice pick up. I also grabbed a 3D World bundle and a Pro controller yesterday. No MK8, else I would have been tempted. :p

SickBoy

Has anyone dealt with Microsoft for xboxone repairs? Do they do advanced replacements in Canada? My xboxone keeps restarting.

The only tale I've heard is from Greg on the Player One Podcast -- he said the turnaround time was really good, sounds like they sent a new/refurb system (his issue was a bum optical drive).

EDIT: Also, I appreciate all the talk about the Shoppers deal yesterday... I was out, but managed to take a slight detour on my way home last night and grab Diablo III at a local 24-hour store. It was the one game I really wanted.

i-Jest

I guess it's too late to start looking for a $20 copy of TLoU PS4, right? Must have been picked clean by the RFDers...

Went on a second hunt today. Found no $20 PS4 games at any of the locations I went to in Toronto. Not wanting to go home empty handed I went to the Staples on Younge Street (North of Church and Dovercourt). Seems they still had some leftover games from that clearance event some ways back. Nothing really caught my eye accept Metal Gear rising and Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (VITA). Bought UMarvel on a whim and called it a night.

Gonna check 2 more locations I was to lazy to check tomorrow.

amazon just dropped the price of the LE to 79.99 for PS4, this is cheaper than VGP since free shipping.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NJ07B46/

Put in a preorder just incase. Looks like a temporary drop though.

ohlawd

Has anyone dealt with Microsoft for xboxone repairs? Do they do advanced replacements in Canada? My xboxone keeps restarting.

yep, I have

they don't do advanced repairs here. Or maybe they do and I didn't fit the requirement? Was hassle free.

told them my One was making loud as hell noises and wouldn't turn off properly. they said I was under warranty so repairs were free. printed the shippng label and stuck it on a box that fit the system snug. forgot how long it took sending it to them then back but I know it didn't take long since they gave me express shipping.

basically got a new Xbox. if I had to make a shit analogy, my old Xbox was like a crying baby. The new one I got was like a sleeping baby

iphys

When does this usually happen?

Bonus redemption is rumoured to be the weekend of November 29th. The better redemptions that earn you bonus points are random, and I think I've usually only ever been offered those via their e-mail mailing list as coupons, but probably at least a few times in the past year.

Don't want to get shipping GAF started, but as anyone been charged for Little Big Planet 3 at Best Buy? I have been charged for many games Friday and Saturday but this one is still a no go.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo, I managed to find a $20 Last of Us Remastered! There was one left where I went. I'm so happy! I only wanted to play the DLC (played the original game when a friend lent it to me on PS3), so full-price was too much for me, but at $20 it's perfect!

yep, I have

they don't do advanced repairs here. Or maybe they do and I didn't fit the requirement? Was hassle free.

told them my One was making loud as hell noises and wouldn't turn off properly. they said I was under warranty so repairs were free. printed the shippng label and stuck it on a box that fit the system snug. forgot how long it took sending it to them then back but I know it didn't take long since they gave me express shipping.

basically got a new Xbox. if I had to make a shit analogy, my old Xbox was like a crying baby. The new one I got was like a sleeping baby

Okay thanks, and did they take your hard drive out of the old console and put it in the new one? Or did you have to re-download everything?

ohlawd

Okay thanks, and did they take your hard drive out of the old console and put it in the new one? Or did you have to re-download everything?

had to redownload everything

I was in the preview program before and I had to sign up again (just had to redownload the app). The Xbox I sent them had scratches all over. New one I got looked like it had never been used.

Ventara

Were there any ps plus yearly subscription deals in Canada last year or were they all US based retailers?

Pretty sure there were a few places selling them for $30. I'm hoping we get it again this year since my subscription will be running out, soon.

Anyone have experience with Primus for internet? Dealing with Bell is getting increasingly annoying.

I used them for a few years before I switch to Rogers this past winter. I used the unlimited plan, which was good, but too slow for me (500KB down, 50KB up). Also, it would occasionally cut out (nothing major, though).

Whoa, got my Hatsune Miku Project Diva f 2nd shipping confirmation a few hours ago. I might actually get it tomorrow. Thanks Futureshop.

There weren't any deals for this one, was there? I'm debating whether I should pick it up now or later. I don't have time to play it now, but I don't want it to sell out and go up in price either.

Jinto

Don't want to get shipping GAF started, but as anyone been charged for Little Big Planet 3 at Best Buy? I have been charged for many games Friday and Saturday but this one is still a no go.

Amazon hasn't charged me for LB3 either, despite getting an email from them recently that it qualified for release day shipping.

Were there any ps plus yearly subscription deals in Canada last year or were they all US based retailers?

I remember Future Shop, The Source, and Walmart all selling them for $30 on boxing day.

Yasumi

Banned
There weren't any deals for this one, was there? I'm debating whether I should pick it up now or later. I don't have time to play it now, but I don't want it to sell out and go up in price either.
Futureshop had a preorder 2+ games and get 15% off all items last week. I grabbed that and KH2.5 CE.

Madness

You guys think it's easy to flip an EBGames gift card for slightly less cash? I have about $78.35 on a gift card which is exactly the cost of a $69.99 game+tax here in BC. I don't really want any new games, only really wanted Halo right now, and I know it'll just sit in my drawer for a year till Halo 5 or something. Do you think I could just post that in Craigslist or something? $78.35 EBGames gift card for $60-$65 cash? You think people would bite on that?

espher

For what it's worth, it doesn't look like any game will put them to any worthwhile use anyway. You're probably safe to just keep them in the packages ;)

I'll be double-dipping on a couple, at least. Probably Link, Shulk, Villager.

When was it confirmed that you have to open them? That kind of sucks then.

There's a big thread here where someone mentions there's a piece of aluminum or w/e stuck to the bottom of the amiibo which prevents scanning.

It's subsequently derailed into "lol you guys are cheap just buy two if you're a 'real' collector" discussion but my beef is I don't care about collector value I care about display aesthetics and if I have to bust open a blister pack I can't put it back on display because opened blister packs look terrible. I really wish Nintendo had boxed them. :(

Ventara

You guys think it's easy to flip an EBGames gift card for slightly less cash? I have about $78.35 on a gift card which is exactly the cost of a $69.99 game+tax here in BC. I don't really want any new games, only really wanted Halo right now, and I know it'll just sit in my drawer for a year till Halo 5 or something. Do you think I could just post that in Craigslist or something? $78.35 EBGames gift card for $60-$65 cash? You think people would bite on that?

I'd say $60 has a good chance of selling. People have been able to sell new $70 games for $55, so I don't see why you couldn't sell a gift card for $60. $65 might be a tougher sell, but if you're in no rush, might as well try.

Futureshop had a preorder 2+ games and get 15% off all items last week. I grabbed that and KH2.5 CE.

Ah, I see. I missed that. I think I'll wait and see if any sale pops up for it. I don't think it'll sell out quickly.

KarmaCow

I used them for a few years before I switch to Rogers this past winter. I used the unlimited plan, which was good, but too slow for me (500KB down, 50KB up). Also, it would occasionally cut out (nothing major, though).

Hmm thanks. Seems like it has the same problems with Teksavvy in my area.

I'd say $60 has a good chance of selling. People have been able to sell new $70 games for $55, so I don't see why you couldn't sell a gift card for $60. $65 might be a tougher sell, but if you're in no rush, might as well try.

I never have trouble selling 70$ games for 60$. I just need to talk about taxes in the ad so that they realize they save 20$ day 1.

i-Jest

Woohoo, I managed to find a $20 Last of Us Remastered! There was one left where I went. I'm so happy! I only wanted to play the DLC (played the original game when a friend lent it to me on PS3), so full-price was too much for me, but at $20 it's perfect!

This wasn't Toronto right?

iphys

$30 off a $100 order at adidas.ca and free shipping, and it works on stuff that's already on sale: gotta have comfy shoes to wear while out hunting for those gaming bargains.

Lexxism

$30 off a $100 order at adidas.ca and free shipping, and it works on stuff that's already on sale: gotta have comfy shoes to wear while out hunting for those gaming bargains.

and it will stack with "sign up for news & get 15% off".

edit: Never mind. Deal is done

Top Bottom