• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

What are people's opinions on buying the game elsewhere and returning their online order with the retail receipt?

(FYI my delivery notice arrived...just waiting for the office to open!)

Zing

Banned
What are people's opinions on buying the game elsewhere and returning their online order with the retail receipt?

I do it all the time. The retail store gets a shrink wrapped, brand new game in the end, and sometimes even additional sales if I buy other stuff while I'm there. It's no different from anyone else buying and returning something.

I do it all the time. The retail store gets a shrink wrapped, brand new game in the end, and sometimes even additional sales if I buy other stuff while I'm there. It's no different from anyone else buying and returning something.

I was considering on doing this if I didn't have to wait 30 mins for the store to open. I believe the barcode is all the same anyways.

I just went to Target and price matched my Amazon E3 preorder deals for Far Cry 4 ($42.47) and GTA V ($59.49) and since they give $10 Gift Cards for each I was able to use one on GTA V bringing it to ($49.49).

Paying separately Far Cry 4 came to $47.99 with tax and GTA V came to $55.90 with tax. So both games for $103.89. Basically $50 each plus I still have the $10 Gift Card left from GTA V. Wooooo!

khaaan

I haven't done it, I've considered doing it every now and then though.

In most cases I don't think I particularly mind but a few months ago I intentionally did not do it. Amazon was taking weeks to ship an E3 order while Futureshop managed to get me a copy on launch day. I could have waited for the Amazon copy and returned that to Futureshop but I didn't want to reward Amazon for stalling.

antibolo

Banned
Incredible, amazon.ca shipped my Project Diva F 2nd during the night, despite the horrible delivery estimate. Crisis averted.

Still don't trust them anymore though, VGP all the way for me now.

Ugh, BestBuy's site is awful. Was trying to change my payment info to a CC and I can't even change payment method without calling them.

I spent a good 40 minutes on the phone with Best Buy support and the lady just didn't understand English and wouldn't let me talk to her supervisor. I did eventually get my E3 order switched to my credit card and my GTA V shipped fine, but it was an enormous pain.

explodet

Don't mind me, just waitin' for my game shipments...

ijzhgLXKVC3Lb.gif

MesH

I spent a good 40 minutes on the phone with Best Buy support and the lady just didn't understand English and wouldn't let me talk to her supervisor. I did eventually get my E3 order switched to my credit card and my GTA V shipped fine, but it was an enormous pain.

Using Paypal with my Best Buy preorders has been a pain in the ass lately, some orders ship fine, then others say the method of payment was declined please change the method of payment or order will be cancelled. Multiple calls to customer service, with a 1 out of every five calls I actually get some one that speaks clear English and knows there job.
Best buy knows there has been a problem with paypal for about 3 weeks now, they should be making this public and apologize and fix it. There is nothing in there forums and I know just from GAF that I am not the only one with issues.

isny

napkin dispenser
People talking about getting 3DS games on the cheap, where is this sale? I went back a few pages but can't find any info on it.

Dazzler

any downtown SDM in Vancouver sell games?

I'm going to go out at lunch and try and find Last of Us or Dead Rising 3

I read through the entire RFD thread on it and it's just a mess of people accussing each other of hoarding

Palehorse

I did this with Shadow of Mordor. I got a copy from Walmart (which had the 'exclusive to walmart preorder stuff' sticker on it. But it was the same content as what was in my Amazon copy that was late.) When I got my amazon copy a couple days later I returned it to Walmart. .. which had a different barcode.

The lady at Walmart could see they were different but when she scanned the amazon copy it came up as SoM, but it wasn't what was on my receipt. I played dumb and she did the return anyways, but I won't be pulling this again.

jred2k

Future Shop has really gone out of their way to make online returns a pain in the ass, haven't they? Two years ago when I got RE6 it was easy to mail back, but now you have to complete a form online before they email a return form. I guess they want to make breaking the three game commitment for those E3 deals as painful as possible.

khaaan

Future Shop has really gone out of their way to make online returns a pain in the ass, haven't they? Two years ago when I got RE6 it was easy to mail back, but now you have to complete a form online before they email a return form. I guess they want to make breaking the three game commitment for those E3 deals as painful as possible.

I didn't even know you could do that. The few times I've returned an online order I would just physically go to a FS store with my online order receipt and they would take care of it there. Never had any issues, though it's been a while since I did something like that. The last time was probably for Borderlands 2 Vita.

Sora_N

I read through the entire RFD thread on it and it's just a mess of people accussing each other of hoarding

That's what RFD is.

Yaletown store has some games but nothing decent left.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has an extra copy of Smash Bros Wii U coming to them from the E3 deal that they would send my way, and I would pay them for it? I've been thinking up Christmas gifts for my nephew and that would be perfect, but $70 is a bit much.

krae_man

I only have LBP coming so I can wait. In no rush to play it. Captain Toad on the other hand better damn well arrive on time or sooner.

Dazzler

That's what RFD is.

Yaletown store has some games but nothing decent left.

Cheers!

I'm in Gastown so I might make it to the Dunsmuir location, but that's about as far as I can go and still have time to eat

If I remember correct, Dunsmuir has some games behind the counter

Seik

Banned

I'm always doing it now.

Futureshop always fails me with hype releases, so now I just go buy a new 69,99$ copy and get refunded with the other one 3 days later. :p

kennah

Thanks for the heads up. Just got the last Albw. What other games are cheap at Shoppers? This one is well stocked. (Main and Redwood in Winnipeg)

Liberty4all

Banned
Guys,

Does anyone know who has the best pre order deals on Smash? I'm preordering today and can't seem to find much information on Canadian pre order bonus's. My research so far is telling me Toys R Us has the best deal with the aambio or whatever the heck they are called but I'm not sure if that is US only or not.

I do it quite a bit. The only worry is that some preordered games will ship with some "Limited Edition" type SKU that was only for preorders, and not applicable to people who buy off shelf. This fucks you over if you try to return, cuz it obviously needs to be the same SKU.

Cactus

Banned
No shipping notice yet but looks like Best Buy has charged my CC for Smash 4 and Omega Ruby.

I tried to check my FutureShop order (from June 2013) to see if my card was charged, but I kept receiving error messages.

It's ridiculous how they're refusing to fix all of these technical issues with the website. These are the same error messages I was getting years ago.

EDIT: LOL. When I try to click "FEEDBACK," I get the same error message.

Tiktaalik

The downtown SDM doesn't really stock games (A handful, no PS4/XBOne). SDM in Hastings Sunrise and Main and ~19th also don't really carry games.

The best game carrying SDM I've seen in Vancouver is the one at Kingsgate Mall in Mount Pleasant as it has kiosks for PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo. I went by there and grabbed the last copy of Second Son. They're basically out of all the PS4 games, but they might have some Xbox One games.

You are basically too late on this deal and it's likely everything is gone but you could give it a shot.

Dazzler

The downtown SDM doesn't really stock games (A handful, no PS4/XBOne). SDM in Hastings Sunrise and Main and ~19th also don't really carry games.

The best game carrying SDM I've seen in Vancouver is the one at Kingsgate Mall in Mount Pleasant as it has kiosks for PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo. I went by there and grabbed the last copy of Second Son. They're basically out of all the PS4 games, but they might have some Xbox One games.

You are basically too late on this deal and it's likely everything is gone but you could give it a shot.

I went out Saturday night and picked up Diablo, so I got what I really wanted from the deal

Was just hoping to pick up some secondary titles it'd be nice to have

oh well

vvise

If you guys have an SDM Optimum card check your emails. I got a flyer with a 20x event coupon on it good tomorrow only 1 use per customer for purchase of $50 or more.

Checked my local SDM and they have a PS4 on the shelf, gonna go pick it up tomorrow.

Also if anyone wants a Last of Us Remastered digital code, I'll have one tomorrow willing to let it go for $30. PM me.

suikodan

FC4 and GTAV shipped the same day, arrived in Montreal the same day but only one left the post office for delivery, which is GTAV.

I find it funny but I'll play GTAV tonight and receive FC4 tomorrow.

Cactus

Banned
I'm trying to log into my Optimum account, but I keep receiving an "Inactive Optimum Card" error message, which is strange because I use my card on a semi-regular basis.

I guess I should phone customer service?

I'm not sure why Dragon Age didn't come from Best Buy today, but GTAV did arrive from FS. The status on the tracking page for DA:I seems like something went wrong, I hope I get an update soon though.

Endy MacK

I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but the following PS4 games are $18.99 at Costco:

inFAMOUS SS
Killzone SF
Knack
MLB 14 The Show

They aren't on clearance; they were just in the regular games section, and there were quite a few of them.

curb

Banned
I'm not sure why Dragon Age didn't come from Best Buy today, but GTAV did arrive from FS. The status on the tracking page for DA:I seems like something went wrong, I hope I get an update soon though.

Is your DA tracking only showing it as "Accepted"? If so, mine's been like that since last night and I've gotten that a few times from Best Buy. It's like they generate the tracking number and it just sits at their distribution center waiting to actually go to Canada Post.

Top Bottom