• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
Probably not worth much to most of yall but EB has a 20% bonus trade in credit promo if you trade towards toys and accessories this month. I was told it should work on amiibo.

I don't trade games normally but I've accumulated a few duplicates over the years so gonna put those toward an amiibo or two.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Probably not worth much to most of yall but EB has a 20% bonus trade in credit promo if you trade towards toys and accessories this month. I was told it should work on amiibo.

I don't trade games normally but I've accumulated a few duplicates over the years so gonna put those toward an amiibo or two.

Great! Thanks for letting us know :D

Edge members also get 10% more too!

Future Shop doesn't want me to see my order with Smash Bros. in it, but it allows me to see all the others. Why does their website have to suck?...

Happened to me the other day around the time they were charging me for a game in that order. Stopped checking after a few hours, just got frustrated.

We should throw a super party if they ever fix their shitty system!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well shit, I forgot I had Smash Bros U pre ordered and I've been charged for it, but I'm not sure I want it anymore. The 3DS version kinda scratched my Smash Bros itch.

iphys

Just noticed Walmart.ca is showing which amiibo are in and out of stock locally. It's already showing 3 out of stock in store and online (like the stores aren't getting any stock, as you'd think they'd have received them all by now . . . ?) and 4 more out of stock online but available in store, so maybe some of these things will be hard to come by. I wonder if Nintendo is trying to limit them on purpose to make them a sought-after item for x-mas and generate hype and publicity.

Jinto

Future Shop doesn't want me to see my order with Smash Bros. in it, but it allows me to see all the others. Why does their website have to suck?...

Is that particular order over $1000? I can't open either of my BB ones that are over that amount either. Worst part is, when I call them about it, they have no idea what I'm talking about and just make up some BS like their website is under maintenance.

Happened to me the other day around the time they were charging me for a game in that order. Stopped checking after a few hours, just got frustrated.

We should throw a super party if they ever fix their shitty system!

Yeah, I am trying to see if they have charged me for Smash. Although, it may be pointless if it still shows the total amount of the order being charged for, despite not being charged.

Is that particular order over $1000? I can't open either of my BB ones that are over that amount either. Worst part is, when I call them about it, they have no idea what I'm talking about and just make up some BS like their website is under maintenance.

No, it was from E3 2013, so orders were limited to 3 games (although I was able to get a fourth in 1 order). It is probably due to them charging me for Smash, and the fact that their website is shit.

Would it not be cheaper to hire someone to fix their website rather than pay their CS people to waste their time fixing orders and stuff? Even then, a company with an online store in 2014 should have a functional website.

snack

Has anyone ordered a game from shop.ca before? Do they ship the game fast?

Right now my smash bros wii u is still processing and the game releases tomorrow. :(

Has anyone ordered a game from shop.ca before? Do they ship the game fast?

Right now my smash bros wii u is still processing and the game releases tomorrow. :(

I've only ordered one game from them and that was Infamous: Second Son. It was a pre-order, and I got it the day of release.

Ventara

Kinda off-topic, but I'm thinking of going to the Microsoft store grand opening at the Eaton Centre to pick up an XBOX 360 for $99, but I know zilch about this console, so I have a few questions.

1.) Do I need to buy a Gold membership/a bigger HD (I'll only disc/offline games)?
2.) I can use this console completely offline for offline games, right?
3.) Just counting exclusives (so this includes X1 ports and PC), what are some good games for an RPG/Action-Adventure fan? Right now I only know about Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, but 2 games are hardly enough. Halo and Gears interest me, but the former has been ported to X1 and the latter has been rumored will follow suit.

Jinto

Amazon charged me for my GameCube adapter. No shipment notice yet, but there's a chance I'll be getting it tomorrow. Time to break out my GameCube controllers.

Lizardus

Any deals on Xbox One controllers? I want to pick one up for PC gaming. I have a third party one right now and getting tired of it.

Ondore

1.) Do I need to buy a Gold membership/a bigger HD (I'll only disc/offline games)?
2.) I can use this console completely offline for offline games, right?
3.) Just counting exclusives (so this includes X1 ports and PC), what are some good games for an RPG/Action-Adventure fan? Right now I only know about Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, but 2 games are hardly enough. Halo and Gears interest me, but the former has been ported to X1 and the latter has been rumored will follow suit.

1) I'm not sure if the new 360s can use large USB drives, and the $99 one is likely the Arcade (4GB) model. For a while, there was a 16GB limit on USB stuff. Gold's not needed unless you think there's going to be really good deals (Black Friday and the end of year) or if the Games with Gold (think PS+) intrigue you.

2) Absolutely. You can even access the store as a member of the Silver master race.

3) If you haven't played Nier on PS3, it's cheaper on average on 360 and worth checking out. There's also Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World in the indie store.

---

OK, just got the "Unable to process your order" email from Best Buy. It's on a big order (Pokemon Omega Ruby and Persona Q), and it's already had things ship on it. I paid with Paypal. Do I need to take any action here?

Lexxism

Any deals on Xbox One controllers? I want to pick one up for PC gaming. I have a third party one right now and getting tired of it.
From MS site.
OShA90S.png

I haven't done a complete comparison or anything but the Microsoft Store deals look similar to the U.S. sale, so I'm hoping Forza Horizon 2 will be on sale for $34.99. Which means I'll be playing Horizon 2 soon, aww yeah.

still haven't finished Horizon 1, what am I doing

isny

napkin dispenser
My Amiibo from Amazon is Preparing for Shipment.

Best Buy is giving 50% off of any one Amiibo of your choice with a purchase of Smash for the Wii-U. Just FYI for those who haven't seen the flyer yet. They're also giving $10 off if you buy both version of Pokemon together.

Really weird. my GC adapter and controller are in "shipping now" status but the estimated delivery date is on the 26th-27th when Smash 4 is estimated to be here by the 21st. Why is this? I preordered all three directly from Amazon. Granted I only just recently preordered the adapter and controller 2 days ago.

Madness

First time I ever used Ebay in my life for something. The shipping to Canada cost more than the item itself. Yikes. Did a buy it now as a guest, so I try to view tracking or anything and it keeps trying to get me to register for their site.

Anyone have any experience with this global shipping program that Ebay now uses for international buyers? Supposedly seller ships to place in Kentucky which then ships to buyer.

zroid

Banned
woo Amazon has my copies of Smash and Alpha Sapphire "shipping now" (edit: and shipped!)

Really weird. my GC adapter and controller are in "shipping now" status but the estimated delivery date is on the 26th-27th when Smash 4 is estimated to be here by the 21st. Why is this? I preordered all three directly from Amazon. Granted I only just recently preordered the adapter and controller 2 days ago.

I don't think it means anything... Amazon's delivery estimates are always wack

Zing

Banned
First time I ever used Ebay in my life for something. The shipping to Canada cost more than the item itself. Yikes. Did a buy it now as a guest, so I try to view tracking or anything and it keeps trying to get me to register for their site.

Anyone have any experience with this global shipping program that Ebay now uses for international buyers? Supposedly seller ships to place in Kentucky which then ships to buyer.
The global shipping program is a total rip-off for Canadians. Basically, the seller ships their item to a facility in the U.S., then eBay ships it to Canada. Of course, eBay charges a very high rate for this. The seller doesn't care, as it costs them nothing, and they just wouldn't ship to Canada if the program didn't exist.

I refuse to buy anything using this program. There have been items I wanted that I have missed out on, but that's fine. I've also directly contacted the seller to ask if they would ship directly using a cheaper method (any video game related item will be small enough to go first class for a quarter of the cost of priority).

Note that there is virtually zero consequence for you to back out of the purchase if you havent yet paid.

EXTREMELY tempted to get the $99 360.

Is it something I'll regret or get a better deal on later? I already have a Wii U, Wii, 3DS, Vita, PS3, and PS2.

I actually had a 360 before for the same price (was a Falcom OG model) but never got really big on it, but sold it for $55 at a store when it broke after a fall during a move, the store knew it was broken so they probably were happy with the parts. :p

But the thought of getting a shiny new slim model sounds really good, but is it "future proof"? Can I upgrade the HDD? Someone above said the 4GB one is pretty limited in its upgrade capacity?

My 12GB $129 PS3 managed to be beefed up to a $30 500GB HDD (thank Staples for both!). Also PS+ really pays for itself in multitudes when you have more than one system also (Vita).

ohlawd

I haven't done a complete comparison or anything but the Microsoft Store deals look similar to the U.S. sale, so I'm hoping Forza Horizon 2 will be on sale for $34.99. Which means I'll be playing Horizon 2 soon, aww yeah.

still haven't finished Horizon 1, what am I doing

the cuts aren't that deep

FH2 will probably be 44.99.

If anyone is looking for Far Cry 4, I have a brand new spare PS4 copy from E3 that I'll send you for $55, or a $50 Future Shop e-gift card. I'd like to try to keep it within Canada so shipping prices don't become nuts. PM me if you'd like.

I wouldn't look too much into it. For me it still says "Not Yet Shipped" and delivery estimate is set to tomorrow by 8PM. I also switched its shipping to the Amazon Student 2 day shipping which somehow fixed my pre-order shipping problems.

DownLoad

Yeah, I am trying to see if they have charged me for Smash. Although, it may be pointless if it still shows the total amount of the order being charged for, despite not being charged.

No, it was from E3 2013, so orders were limited to 3 games (although I was able to get a fourth in 1 order). It is probably due to them charging me for Smash, and the fact that their website is shit.

Would it not be cheaper to hire someone to fix their website rather than pay their CS people to waste their time fixing orders and stuff? Even then, a company with an online store in 2014 should have a functional website.

I have the exact same issue, except slightly worse. Since E3 2013 my credit card changed but I forgot to update my order so I just got an e-mail saying payment failed and haven't been able to access the actual order since (Hell I can't even remember what's in the order except smash). Phoned them up and they don't know shit. Extremely frustrating shit.

And it's probably not needed for me to say, but have not received a shipping notice, or anything since the "payment failed" e-mail.

Dazzler

Shoppers at Main and 16th in Vancouver still has some $19.99 PS4 games if anyone's looking

They had Infamous and COD for sure, I got the last copy of Last of Us

For anyone wondering about the 360, you can connect 32 GB USB drive to install things on, a bit annoying but way cheaper than their HDDs.

As far as starting a game collection on the 360 goes, I think its completely worth it, even without counting good titles that are rumored to be ported (Gears), stuff that was already ported (Halo) and games with sequels already available (Forza and Forza Horizon series), you can expect to enjoy the following:

Great exclusive JRPGs like: Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.
The best technical versions of some console exclusives like: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption.
A lot of really good XBLA games that are exclusives like: Perfect Dark 64 remake, Banjo Kazooie remakes, Shadow Complex, Rez HD, etc

Also some really good exclusives that havent been released anywhere else like Crackdown, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Child of Eden.

And this is just off the top of my head, there are way more titles, I got my 4GB console back when Walmart had it @ $130 with a $50 gift card and Im enjoying it a lot.

Also most local stores like Microplay will have tons of used cheap copies of most games.

For anyone wondering about the 360, you can connect 32 GB USB drive to install things on, a bit annoying but way cheaper than their HDDs.

As far as starting a game collection on the 360 goes, I think its completely worth it, even without counting good titles that are rumored to be ported (Gears), stuff that was already ported (Halo) and games with sequels already available (Forza and Forza Horizon series), you can expect to enjoy the following:

Great exclusive JRPGs like: Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.
The best technical versions of some console exclusives like: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Red Dead Redemption.
A lot of really good XBLA games that are exclusives like: Perfect Dark 64 remake, Banjo Kazooie remakes, Shadow Complex, Rez HD, etc

Also some really good exclusives that havent been released anywhere else like Crackdown, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Child of Eden.

And this is just off the top of my head, there are way more titles, I got my 4GB console back when Walmart had it @ $130 with a $50 gift card and Im enjoying it a lot.

Also most local stores like Microplay will have tons of used cheap copies of most games.

There's no Microplay in Toronto anymore IIRC. :(

snack

I wouldn't look too much into it. For me it still says "Not Yet Shipped" and delivery estimate is set to tomorrow by 8PM. I also switched its shipping to the Amazon Student 2 day shipping which somehow fixed my pre-order shipping problems.
Same situation as you.

Fingers crossed!

You could get a 360 controller. Wired is ~$30, wireless ~$40.

On RFD they say there are about a thousand people in line at the MS Store, so don't hold out hope for a 360.

Top Bottom