• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Zing

Banned
No it isn't.
It is at retail. Nintendo may be making them, or still have stock, but stores no longer carry it. Best Buy, Target, etc all have it in their system as discontinued and no longer ordered. I saw it with my own eyes when I was scouring the town for my system. I had employees log in to computer and show me order status.

It's why you can go to BB/FS and buy an original 3DS for only $129 instead of the usual 169 MSRP. It's on clearance.

zroid

Banned
Speaking of discontinued Nintendo handhelds, when I was at Shoppers the other day, I saw a lime green DS Lite on sale! It was $149.99. :lol :lol

Bit the bullet and just ordered Daganrumpa: Trigger Happy Havoc. This will be the last game purchase for me until Watchdogs I believe (still have on E3 sale from last year). Have Dark Souls 2 for PC i'm waiting on too but that's paid off.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I think this was posted already but I'll repost it again anyway for those who missed it.

What is the before sale price of the Zelda game at target? Their website is terrible and seems to not have anything on it.

ohlawd

Since I just sold my ps3 hows the wiiu version?
It doesn't perform great. It's got issues like freezing for a second or two while traversing the overworld and when freezing is done, it's met with severe framerate drops. Framerate are in the 20s when there are a couple enemies. Idunno how the other versions are but I bet they're better than this version.

It has technical problems but I liked the game enough to beat it. Hardly any GamePad specific features if you're into that.

MarkusRJR

Speaking of discontinued Nintendo handhelds, when I was at Shoppers the other day, I saw a lime green DS Lite on sale! It was $149.99. :lol :lol
Aww fuck I'd kill for a lime green DS lite. My old lime green DS lite's R button stopped working, and new ones cost over $200 online.

lupinko

I wonder if the Sources and RCSS back home will still have the DS lites when I decide to visit Vancouver this summer. Lol probably, considering I was able to buy a brand new Diamond and Pearl Onyx Lite at Ebgames last fall.

iphys

Geez, and I thought it was bad that they're asking $120 for pink ones at the stores near me. Kind of odd considering the number of times they've put the DSi on sale for $70.

iphys

Just bought a PS4 at shoppers with 20x the points. However they told me the points wouldn't show up until the 14th, so I have to hope they don't screw up and I get my 85,000 additional points -- because the receipt only shows 4,490. But if all goes well then that means I get about $170 in points.

Plus it comes with Knack.

I always get the points later without hassling them, but don't freak out if you don't get them the day they promise, because they're frequently 1-3 days late.

Lexxism

@London Drugs

XB1 controler - $40
XB1 controller with charge kit - $55
Ryse - $40
Forza 5 - $40

Someone posted at RFD that you will get a free shipping if you use any of the code. Not sure if all the code are still available though

KWRB-UYAT-U6TR-MKC3
MEXA-UYSQ-46KD-C2EE
PAYG-KIDY-TAYU-PFHG
PFEU-B4LF-WS5Y-ULVW
KB6B-OHMU-7SNR-N3XG
HREB-K5ZC-TBMA-OACB
ISNX-B5TN-ZBIE-YO57
FB6X-BEBY-96MW-7KFS
N2TE-FZSW-VR7S-LSGG
BOPA-63Z4-9RCS-CGLX
HVBA-K7MT-45UT-YPRT
BZHB-OC2S-6S7H-KC5V
FSSX-DUSP-7VAD-59OD
K5VW-MW2U-WIKC-3YLD
FOMS-UA2S-3ATB-YQFZ
A5IT-DOL2-UBZX-KV6M
KNKG-DCS7-ZS7V-96S5
E5CA-HSM9-2RIT-OP65
BRFE-6XA9-RVZX-IYN6
NSNS-FZ2Q-9VTC-77HX

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Is Tomb Raider for PS4 worth getting at $40 from BB if I can play the PS3 version for free thanks to PS+?

I wanna play the game, I'm just having a hard time justifying paying $40+tax for better graphics/framerate.

NYR

Is Tomb Raider for PS4 worth getting at $40 from BB if I can play the PS3 version for free thanks to PS+?

I wanna play the game, I'm just having a hard time justifying paying $40+tax for better graphics/framerate.

Sounds to me you've made your choice already. Just play the PS3 version, it is fine. Free is always better than paying.

GSG Flash

Sounds to me you've made your choice already. Just play the PS3 version, it is fine. Free is always better than paying.

Haven't totally made my choice (which is why I'm asking :p)

But if the PS4 version is so much better that it's a different experience, I would shell out $40 for it.

Haven't totally made my choice (which is why I'm asking :p)

But if the PS4 version is so much better that it's a different experience, I would shell out $40 for it.

Honestly, I'd upgrade. The Definitive Edition is an incredible upgrade graphically. And if you've never played TR before, it's definitely worth $40

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say play a couple of hours of the free PS3 version to decide. I planned to pick up the PS4 version earlier this month, but I tried the PS3 version and, after 1 hour, I can safely say I'm glad I didn't pay for the "Definitive Version" as this game is not for me at all.

I'd say play a couple of hours of the free PS3 version to decide. I planned to pick up the PS4 version earlier this month, but I tried the PS3 version and, after 1 hour, I can safely say I'm glad I didn't pay for the "Definitive Version" as this game is not for me at all.
Yeah I played an hour and promptly deleted it

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Do you like Uncharted but wish it had better combat? Then Tomb Raider is for you.

I like Uncharted so that's why I assumed I'd also like TR and almost bought the PS4 version. However, playing the PS3 version allowed me to see that the tone between TR and Uncharted is very different. Give the PS3 version a try... it's free! If you like it after an hour or so and would like to play a better-looking version of it, go for it!

zroid

Banned
Yeah I haven't played TR (I'm willing to give it a try sometime though), but it always seemed like it takes itself way too seriously for my liking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like Uncharted so that's why I assumed I'd also like TR and almost bought the PS4 version. However, playing the PS3 version allowed me to see that the tone between TR and Uncharted is very different. Give the PS3 version a try... it's free! If you like it after an hour or so and would like to play a better-looking version of it, go for it!
Oh, the story is nothing to write home about. But video games gonna video game in that regard.

GSG Flash

Hmmmmm, I'll try out the PS3 version to see if the game is for me. If I really love it, I'll play through it again on the PS4 :)

Thanks for the responses guys!

Gxgear

VGP newletter says they're taking preorders for Drakengard 3, might be worth it if you don't want to deal with international shipping and digital river's bullshit. This game's hardcopy is sold exclusively through SE and not officially sold by any retailers.

daftstar

Ok guys, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I think I'm ready to upgrade to a PS4 (and maybe a PSVITA). I have a PS3 and a 3DS XL with a few games.

I wanted to know how much EB Games or FS/BB (not sure if they do console trade-ins) would offer toward the PS4 and Vita. Would trading one console for each + paying the difference be reasonable? Or the PS3 + 3DS + games would just be enough for a PS4?

I'm gonna hold off till E3 however to see what's coming up for last-gen before making a final decision tho. What do you guys suggest?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I think I'm ready to upgrade to a PS4 (and maybe a PSVITA). I have a PS3 and a 3DS XL with a few games.

I wanted to know how much EB Games or FS/BB (not sure if they do console trade-ins) would offer toward the PS4 and Vita. Would trading one console for each + paying the difference be reasonable? Or the PS3 + 3DS + games would just be enough for a PS4?

I'm gonna hold off till E3 however to see what's coming up for last-gen before making a final decision tho. What do you guys suggest?

You're gonna get waaaaay less than you think for your consoles. I have no idea of their actual trade value, but I'd say you won't get much more than $50-60 for each.

And trading-in old consoles is never a good idea in my opinion. Are you really sure you won't want to play any other PS3 or 3DS games in the future? These consoles are still supported, you never know if you won't want to play a new game that'll be announced in the future.

daftstar

You're gonna get waaaaay less than you think for your consoles. I have no idea of their actual trade value, but I'd say you won't get much more than $50-60 for each.

And trading-in old consoles is never a good idea in my opinion. Are you really sure you won't want to play any other PS3 or 3DS games in the future? These consoles are still supported, you never know if you won't want to play a new game that'll be announced in the future.

Holy crap. I knew EB was bad when it came to trade-ins but that's ridiculous. Might as well sell it on kijiji...

With regards to upcoming games, It doesn't look that good for both PS3 and 3DS for me. I'm very selective on what games to buy and the only one that's a definite purchase that's confirmed this year is Batman Arkham Knight (only on PS4/XONE). Smash Bros. 3DS is up there too but without online (which I'm not sure it will have), it'll only go so far in terms of replayability.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap. I knew EB was bad when it came to trade-ins but that's ridiculous. Might as well sell it on kijiji...

Call EB games, maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, I'm almost positive Kijiji would be the way to go if you really want to get rid of these consoles.

krae_man

If you're going to wait it out, just look for some trade in promos. Right now they have a promotion where games with a Min $8 trade in value get bumped up to $20 when trading towards a PS4. They also have done extra trade in credit promotions for consoles in the past(although aren't offering one currently).

Pretty much what has already been said. The regular trade ins at EB Games, especially for the consoles is laughable. Sometimes they do an extra 50% or some sort when trading it to a different console, they did this last year for upgrading to next gen and worth it.

Either way, kijiji is the way to go at the moment.

Returners

I would wait. The game will hit 30. :D

I held out when Skyrim Legendary was 29.99.
Now I have it for 24.99.

Seville

So looking to buy a TV after our CRT has finally bit the dust. Don't want to spend too much around $500 as this TV isn't used THAT much. Any good deals out there? I've checked around and I've found a couple that I wanted some opinions on as I have no idea what to look for in a TV.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BTK82GE/

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=fb58de3b9afbd28c1883f356440d1b76en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=3d47e83df8c5a3379a0c77e6f3ad0deeen02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=d7502bd0b367fa5bdfce5fff89a94528en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=66902f78a6fbd02f85a1c9e98fe75cd8en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=634e1d8c9270eb04a577829fe78c63baen02

Last edit : http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sony-32-r400-series-led-hdtv/6000084457987 ----what about this one? Seems decent for the price tag but not sure.

Also quick question : Is there a point in getting a SMART tv if I'm going to be using chromecast? I think they both achieve the same thing but not sure

Any of these good? The LG one looks nice from Amazon.

The last one also has great reviews on Amazon but pretty expensive as the US amazon has it for $100 cheaper.

krae_man

The LG one is a commercial TV. You probably don't want that.

You're probably fine with a Chromecast. The only plus to having a Smart TV will be ease of use. For example the remote will probably have a Netflix button on it so you would just have to push that button instead of selecting HDMI imput 3, then selecting netflix from your list of apps on your Chromecast.

The Amazon Toshiba looks like the best pick.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I think I'm gonna wait until E3 to replace my broken PS3. Hoping for a price drop or revision (Or a BC ps4 which I know will not happen but one can dream!)

iphys

So looking to buy a TV after our CRT has finally bit the dust. Don't want to spend too much around $500 as this TV isn't used THAT much. Any good deals out there? I've checked around and I've found a couple that I wanted some opinions on as I have no idea what to look for in a TV.

I'd avoid 720p. Even though you're only replacing a CRT, might as well at least upgrade to 1080p now that things are starting to move beyond that.

Seville

I'd avoid 720p. Even though you're only replacing a CRT, might as well at least upgrade to 1080p now that things are starting to move beyond that.

Seems like that's a good point but at how many inches does 1080p look better than 720p? If I Were to get a smaller tv like 32", how much would it look better?

VGP newletter says they're taking preorders for Drakengard 3, might be worth it if you don't want to deal with international shipping and digital river's bullshit. This game's hardcopy is sold exclusively through SE and not officially sold by any retailers.

I heard this game wasn't great, but then reading a few forums and stuff it seems like it might actually be decent.

I'm going to regret pre-ordering this, aren't I?

Top Bottom