• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

i-Jest

I need to get a 32GB microSD (C10) card for my future New 3DS. Wal-Mart selling one for $13 on BF. Should I jump on that or wait till Boxing Day? Haven't bought a microSD card in years so I have no idea what a good sale price is like nowadays.

For a 32GB? That seems like a fairly good price to me.

I need to get a 32GB microSD (C10) card for my future New 3DS. Wal-Mart selling one for $13 on BF. Should I jump on that or wait till Boxing Day? Haven't bought a microSD card in years so I have no idea what a good sale price is like nowadays.

I've been looking for one as well for my phone. 32GB for $13 is a pretty good price. Other things you should look at are the brand and the speed.

ohlawd

Persona Q SE #1 is here! Then I realized I'm not opening it.... fuck. I wanna play right now.

does it come with those SD card adapter thingies? still, 32 might be too low for me. I need a 64 for the n3DS

Teletraan1

Banned
Gotta get those clicks!

Really lame.

Wow, the Wal mart flyer isn't that great for me. Yeesh, that's every released flyer so far that has nothing of interest for me. I hope Boxing Day fares better.

Was hoping for Dragon Age Inquisition, Master Chief Collection and Amiibo sales. None of those have appeared on sale.

They would get the clicks from me for the rest of the week if they gave up the goods. I wont just look at it once and memorize all the prices. I like to check/compare/etc when new flyers come out. This way I will just wait until thursday and do it all at once.

zroid

Banned
does it come with those SD card adapter thingies? still, 32 might be too low for me. I need a 64 for the n3DS

I dunno. I thought they all did but looking at the product it doesn't seem like it.

I have an adapter already but it doesn't specify that it's an SDHC adapter, so not sure if it'd be compatible with an SDHC card...

edit: scratch that, I just tested an 8GB SDHC card I had lying around with the adapter and it worked

Whats the rationale behind the $50 gift card offers, Im not mad or anything, I do my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart anyways, but why cant they just offer the Xbone for $300??

Im wondering how that works behind the scenes, is the $50 gift card paid for by Microsoft?? Why would they do that? is it in the hopes that you will use it to buy a game or accessory for it on the same shopping day???

Or are they paid for by Wal-Mart to try to get people in the store??

They had the same deal with the 4GB 360 during the anniversary sale, I used the card to buy Wii U games

Where do you see that? Is there anything on there for a 64GB?

ohlawd

I dunno. I thought they all did but looking at the product it doesn't seem like it.

I have an adapter already but it doesn't specify that it's an SDHC adapter, so not sure if it'd be compatible with an SDHC card...

edit: scratch that, I just tested an 8GB SDHC card I had lying around with the adapter and it worked

mmk thanks. screw it, I'll bite.

edit: oh nice, will start on 12 AM EST Nov 28. 9 PM booyah

zroid

Banned
Where do you see that? Is there anything on there for a 64GB?

From the flyer:

hjORgtN.png

didn't see anything for 64GB

Whats the rationale behind the $50 gift card offers, Im not mad or anything, I do my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart anyways, but why cant they just offer the Xbone for $300??

Im wondering how that works behind the scenes, is the $50 gift card paid for by Microsoft?? Why would they do that? is it in the hopes that you will use it to buy a game or accessory for it on the same shopping day???

They had the same deal with the 4GB 360 during the anniversary sale, I used the card to buy Wii U games

It's a psychological thing stores use. You can't really get much for $50, so you're going to spending at least a bit more money at the store. You'd be surprised how much more that turns into with most people, despite only having $50 to play with.

It's a psychological thing stores use. You can't really get much for $50, so you're going to spending at least a bit more money at the store. You'd be surprised how much more that turns into with most people, despite only having $50 to play with.

So if its a Wal-Mart thing, why cant Microsoft sell the Xbox at $299 everywhere else?

ElNino

So if its a Wal-Mart thing, why cant Microsoft sell the Xbox at $299 everywhere else?
The GC has nothing to do with MS. If MS wants to sell the X1 for $300 they can, but then Walmart could still offer the GC if they wanted to. Plenty of stores do this, and it has nothing to do with the product they are packaging it with. They just want to give you a reason to come back to the store later.

-Deimos

Everywhere I go on GAF I see some mention of these amiibo things. What's the craze all about? Are they just figures or do they have some special purpose?
They're basically just collectible figurines. What they're used for isn't really exciting right now.

It's not MS that's dropping that extra $50, it's wal-mart. They're the ones eating the cost of the gift cards, and they're doing it to compete with other stores. If MS dropped the price to $299 then stores would still be offering gift cards, because the point is to make you choose wal-mart over something else. That's why you might see some stores, instead of offering a gift card, will offer a free game instead.

$350 is the sale price, and the gift card is the loss leader to get you into the store.

Cross post from the amiibo thread...

So is anyone else that pre-ordered the whole first wave from Amazon.ca still waiting for their order to ship? Because I am. :/

I pre-ordered back in September too, so I'm not sure what the holdup is.

flkraven

Many have answered, but I will add a bit. First of all, Walmart is the one eating the cost here. Clearly MS is pushing the $349 price point for boxing day, and Walmart is kicking in the gift card as a differentiator.

Secondly, the $50 gift card does not cost Walmart $50, it's less. It's money that must be spent back at Walmart. They probably have analyst working for them that calculated the average profit on $50 worth of merchandise, and the average amount that people over spend their gift card and use real money. So while you see $50 in value, it may only be a $30 cost to Walmart. That's why you won't see a $299.99 console.

Cross post from the amiibo thread...

So is anyone else that pre-ordered the whole first wave from Amazon.ca still waiting for their order to ship? Because I am. :/

I pre-ordered back in September too, so I'm not sure what the holdup is.

I'm still waiting for Pokémon and Smash Wii U, wich were preordered in June. Amazon has been kinda shitty with shipping lately.

It says I should get them on December 1st. Meh.

Many have answered, but I will add a bit. First of all, Walmart is the one eating the cost here. Clearly MS is pushing the $349 price point for boxing day, and Walmart is kicking in the gift card as a differentiator.

Secondly, the $50 gift card does not cost Walmart $50, it's less. It's money that must be spent back at Walmart. They probably have analyst working for them that calculated the average profit on $50 worth of merchandise, and the average amount that people over spend their gift card and use real money. So while you see $50 in value, it may only be a $30 cost to Walmart. That's why you won't see a $299.99 console.

Plus something like 20-25% of gift cards never go used, which is literally just a pool of money that grows and grows for the stores.

i-Jest

They just restocked Marth after I put my order in for villager: https://www.ebgames.ca/Toys-Collectibles/Games/718453/marth-amiibo-figure

Any chance I can get my orders grouped for free shipping? It seems I can't cancel my orders with the new site.

AAANNNNDDDD they're gone. Not surprising. Amazon.ca still has Villager though.

Ryne

I saw that too. That dude can fuck riiiiiight off with that scummy practice.

Did you see that 169.99 dollar price for a GC adapter earlier by VGP on Amazon? That was completely ridiculous.

Nowinstock now tracks the adapter, thanks for linking the site to me earlier Canada-Gaf: http://www.nowinstock.net/ca/videogaming/games/supersmashbros/

In other news, my Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth shipped from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. I guess that is what prime is for.

mdubs

Banned
Shipment on my regular Persona Q but nothing yet on my limited edition (which was order a month a go while the regular was during E3) both from Best Buy

The partnership is the worst. RFD no longer leaks BB/FS flyers and instead work with their marketing department for both Black Friday and Boxing Day.

Wow, had no idea they had a partnership. Stupid. Oh well.

Also, I never got a call from EBGames about my Persona Q Premium Edition and Persona Q XL. I haven't had calls in the past for games I had pre-ordered and they had them in, but this still bothers me.

Jinto

I have a $25 off coupon code for any purchase over $100 at the Source that expires on the 26th. I'm not gonna use it, so if anyone wants it, let me know.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Target is selling the regular 2DS system(Meaning no Transparents) with MK7 for $75. YMMV, but I saw it at my local store.

i-Jest

So my SB for Wii U from BestBuy came with already used CN PIN, and it seems Nintendo doesn't care. Any advice?

Call Nintendo. Seems this has been happening more and more now because of Smash U's release. Be sure to give them proof of purchase. They need to verify your claim.

Some people....unbelievable SMH.

Wow, fucking EBGames. Way back when the Persona Q XL was finally listed on their site, I immediately ordered it to make sure I would get one. Then the next day I went to my local EBGames and pre-ordered it there because I prefer to get it at the store (I just pre-ordered it online in case they would go fast and my location didn't except pre-orders). So then later that day I tried cancelling my pre-order from their site, but their was absolutely no option to do that, so I e-mailed them telling them there's no option and that I would like to cancel my online pre-order and they asked for my order info and then when I gave it to them they e-mailed back telling me the order was cancelled.

Now I get an e-mail today telling me they effing shipped it!? Their charging my cc over $200 for something they told me they cancelled. This is literally the worst time of the year for them to charge my card that much. Looks like I'll have to contact them again... my goodness! Effing hell!

Lexxism

Wow, fucking EBGames. Way back when the Persona Q XL was finally listed on their site, I immediately ordered it to make sure I would get one. Then the next day I went to my local EBGames and pre-ordered it there because I prefer to get it at the store (I just pre-ordered it online in case they would go fast and my location didn't except pre-orders). So then later that day I tried cancelling my pre-order from their site, but their was absolutely no option to do that, so I e-mailed them telling them there's no option and that I would like to cancel my online pre-order and they asked for my order info and then when I gave it to them they e-mailed back telling me the order was cancelled.

Now I get an e-mail today telling me they effing shipped it!? Their charging my cc over $200 for something they told me they cancelled. This is literally the worst time of the year for them to charge my card that much. Looks like I'll have to contact them again... my goodness! Effing hell!

Pretty much the same I had with them. The difference was I was able to checked my order online and saw my order status was still in "process" and not cancelled.

So my SB for Wii U from BestBuy came with already used CN PIN, and it seems Nintendo doesn't care. Any advice?

Since this is a new sealed copy (I would think), how is this possible? Unless folks in manufacturing got sneaky or it was a human error and the code wasn't put in properly?

Ryne

Since this is a new sealed copy (I would think), how is this possible? Unless folks in manufacturing got sneaky or it was a human error and the code wasn't put in properly?
People online are changing a few digits in their legit codes and activating codes of other games.

iphys

Worst case if Nintendo does nothing: return it to BestBuy and tell them you need to exchange it because they sold you a game with a used code. Eventually it will be Nintendo's problem when the game gets sent back to them.

Top Bottom