• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

i-Jest

I think I'm gonna wait until E3 to replace my broken PS3. Hoping for a price drop or revision (Or a BC ps4 which I know will not happen but one can dream!)

Somehow finding a way to make a cheaper cell processor to bring back backwards compatibility is an unlikely possibility. The PS3 dropping in price one last time is more likely. How likely? No clue.

Call EB games, maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, I'm almost positive Kijiji would be the way to go if you really want to get rid of these consoles.
I've had my 360 up on kijiji for a couple of weeks selling it for $150, two controllers and a bunch of games included (halo 4, gears, etc)

No one is biting. :(

I'm considering going to EB but I know I'll just get ripped off.

Lexxism

Come to think of it, I've never seen those things go on sale. I bought the Zombi U bundle so I've never given it a second thought. Do they ever go on sale?

It did. For like $10 off. I saw it a few times but never crossed my mind to buy it lol

iphys

Seems like that's a good point but at how many inches does 1080p look better than 720p? If I Were to get a smaller tv like 32", how much would it look better?

Depends how far away from it you are I suppose. They actually make some really small TVs like 22" at 1080p, and I have an old 24" 1080p gaming monitor that I can sit about 6-8 feet away from to appreciate blu-rays, so I think it would be a bit silly to get a TV over 30" that isn't 1080p, especially since they can be found for reasonable prices.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone knows how frequently Shop.ca restocks? I have some credit left and I've been wanting to buy a PS4 controller and some 3DS games, but it looks like everything is ALWAYS out of stock...

Lexxism

Anyone knows how frequently Shop.ca restocks? I have some credit left and I've been wanting to buy a PS4 controller and some 3DS games, but it looks like everything is ALWAYS out of stock...

They really take too long to restock. If I'm correct, NBA 2k14 for PS4 was out of stock before the release of PS4, I think it was January when they finally restock it lol

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Can't decide if I want the Link between worlds at $10 off. Really wasn't too keen with the two DS zelda games (Unfortunately, I loved WW though)

I also liked a link to the past as a kid but remember literally nothing of it. Zero. So since this is a semi remake sequel thing (same map different everything else?) it might fall flat with me?

Anyone have any impressions?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Can't decide if I want the Link between worlds at $10 off. Really wasn't too keen with the two DS zelda games (Unfortunately, I loved WW though)

I also liked a link to the past as a kid but remember literally nothing of it. Zero. So since this is a semi remake sequel thing (same map different everything else?) it might fall flat with me?

Anyone have any impressions?

I didn't like the DS Zeldas at all, but LBW is my favorite Zelda of all times. It isn't really a "semi-remake" either; the map is pretty different. Sure, there are many references to LttP, but having played the SNES game isn't required at all to enjoy LBW.

iphys

Link between Worlds is probably the best Zelda game I've ever played. I wouldn't recommend skipping it. I never got that far in Link to the Past, but I played this game to the end.

zroid

Banned
I've had my 360 up on kijiji for a couple of weeks selling it for $150, two controllers and a bunch of games included (halo 4, gears, etc)

lol, if I hadn't just been forced to buy a replacement PS3 I might've taken you up on that. Been thinking of getting a 360 for a while.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Right on, thanks! I'll pick it up tomorrow for 10 bucks off woohoooooo

iphys

Selling with all the games bundled usually doesn't work as well as selling stuff separately. People on kijiji usually want to spend as little money as possible on a system rather than investing in a big bundle of stuff, and there will be more people interested in the games that already have a system. It's more trouble to deal with multiple buyers, but you usually end up with more money that way.

iphys

I've got a question regarding Chromecast, can I access American Netflix on it easily?

As far as I know, accessing American Netflix has nothing to do with your account being American or Canadian, it just is based on your IP address. There are ways to bypass that for quite a while now, have some work to do but you can get around it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As far as I know, accessing American Netflix has nothing to do with your account being American or Canadian, it just is based on your IP address. There are ways to bypass that for quite a while now, have some work to do but you can get around it.
For anything that doesn't involve a PC, it usually means messing with a router.

Somehow finding a way to make a cheaper cell processor to bring back backwards compatibility is an unlikely possibility. The PS3 dropping in price one last time is more likely. How likely? No clue.

I think I'm gonna wait until E3 to replace my broken PS3. Hoping for a price drop or revision (Or a BC ps4 which I know will not happen but one can dream!)

Well there have been rumors about the cell chip shrunk to a 22nm chip from a 45nm which is what the current PS3 revision uses. Perhaps, there is another redesign incoming?

Seville

Looks good, but the specs mention it doesn't have a game mode, so it might have too much input lag to be usable for that. If you're going to use it for gaming at all, you might want to try searching for any reviews that mention whether it was usable.

Nope, just going to be using it for TV purposes, netflix, youtube, chrome cast things.

I just bought an Akai Pro-Scan DVD Player at Best Buy for $20 before eco tax (hate that so much...), and while the clarity is just fine, is it normal for the player to have such grey blacks? This isn't shown in anything else on my TV.

Would they be fixed in replacing it with an upconvert version for $10 more if I can find it? As maybe it's due to it being on Component? My Wii doesn't seem to be this grey on Component, so it's the player?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

For anything that doesn't involve a PC, it usually means messing with a router.

I have MediaHint on Chrome on my PC, would Chromecast just stream that browser or does it run it's own?

I was able to access the American selection on the Wii for a while just changing the DNS settings directly on the Wii, but I'd rather not mess with the router at all.

Leeness

Weird question, but thought I'd ask. For Vancouver people.

Where would one find a chaise part to a sectional sofa?

I just bought a couch from an outlet store for cheap because it was missing the L-part of the sectional. It would basically be an ottoman that has hooks that would hook to the couch.

Can you even buy just those on their own? I google "sectional ottomans" and google is confused. Or sectional chaise?

TimeKillr

Can someone answer my question, because if an upconvert player will make a big difference, I'll opt for it tomorrow when I'm out.

Is it hooked it to the same input?

Some TVs have different settings on different inputs, so you might to just check the input settings.

Otherwise, well, hey, it's a shitty DVD player I guess, so it's possible it has shitty blacks. Or it might be the DVD which was badly encoded. There's LOTS of reasons why your blacks can be grey, so it's kind of hard to tell.

Mr.Mike

Well there have been rumors about the cell chip shrunk to a 22nm chip from a 45nm which is what the current PS3 revision uses. Perhaps, there is another redesign incoming?

Maybe, but the main reason they're probably doing this is for their server farms for PS Now. Of course I'm sure they still intend to sell PS3's in some places, so maybe.

Ms. Tea

Just found out Photoshop CS2 is free now:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

I've been using it since high school, it's really awesome.

It's not actually free to everyone, Adobe's providing a download that doesn't require activation for existing CS2 customers. They provided it because the CS2 activation servers were turned off. It's not supposed to be for the general public (though they don't actually prevent you from downloading if you don't have a CS2 key).

MesH

It's not actually free to everyone, Adobe's providing a download that doesn't require activation for existing CS2 customers. They provided it because the CS2 activation servers were turned off. It's not supposed to be for the general public (though they don't actually prevent you from downloading if you don't have a CS2 key).

Adobe has released this legacy version of the ever popular Photoshop as freeware. Download and enjoy.

That's from there site....seems free to me.

iLLmAtlc

Hmm I just looked into it some more and another site does say it's only intended for existing users.

Oh well upto you guys to decide on what to do with it.

Also God of War Ascension for 28.99 but it's one of these sold by 3rd party fulfilled by amazon type deals, dunno how those work:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B1CZV14/

kasane

weird question. since game prices went up was the trade in value dragged along? wishful thinking i know but it doesnt hurt to ask

Google

Weird question, but thought I'd ask. For Vancouver people.

Where would one find a chaise part to a sectional sofa?

I just bought a couch from an outlet store for cheap because it was missing the L-part of the sectional. It would basically be an ottoman that has hooks that would hook to the couch.

Can you even buy just those on their own? I google "sectional ottomans" and google is confused. Or sectional chaise?

You totally can - Most of Ikea's sofa's are built with a modular design at the core.

However, finding a chaise that looks like the sofa is going to be the toughest thing.

Best thing to do is to google the brand of the sofa and just buy the chaise to go with it.

Leeness

You totally can - Most of Ikea's sofa's are built with a modular design at the core.

However, finding a chaise that looks like the sofa is going to be the toughest thing.

Best thing to do is to google the brand of the sofa and just buy the chaise to go with it.

I actually found out through googling that the sofa I bought is actually the chaise part of a bigger sectional. It's perfectly fine as a sofa on its own, though.

And...it's one of the most expensive brands I've seen while looking through "leather sofas" on google so I won't be buying its match for a long time haha.

So I'm going to try to find something in the interim. I will look at ikea though! I thought of them before but I wasn't really finding anything that looked like it would work on their site, but I guess I'd have to go in and see.

LOL "google is confused" and google replies.

Lol I didn't think of the connection, but hahaha.

KingSlime

If it's just streaming your PC, then I assume it won't be a problem? I have no idea.

This is correct. With a Chromecast you have to be broadcasting from a device. So as long as you are doing so from a device that you have access to American Netflix on (like your computer, for example), you can broadcast that right to the Chromecast fine. My sis just got one and I am thinking about getting one as well to replace the HDMI cable I use now.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This is correct. With a Chromecast you have to be broadcasting from a device. So as long as you are doing so from a device that you have access to American Netflix on (like your computer, for example), you can broadcast that right to the Chromecast fine. My sis just got one and I am thinking about getting one as well to replace the HDMI cable I use now.

Thanks for answering, I may pick one up now.

lupinko

Hey CanadaGAF, check out my buddy's kickstarter and help a cool (Canadian) game idea out. Posted the thread here. I got the ok from our resident mod Stump.

Vinc

The Samsung one looks like a far better deal to me. Game mode (often means lower latency but I haven't looked it up), smart tv features, more inputs... everything else looks like a match.

Top Bottom