• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Keyouta

So I need to find the cheapest place to pre-order this. Please don't be $70.

NxhsrMk.png
Hopefully Futureshop will still be running those 33% off deals at E3, I might grab this if they'll list it.

iLLmAtlc

this might sound stupid, but i just realized you can borrow games from the library!

haven't used my card for 7 years now. went to library earlier to renew it and get some richard dawkins books plus other science books, then grabbed nfs rivals, mgs collection, kh 1.5 remix and puppeteer!

will put gta5 on hold. :)

public library I take it?

SFU Library has had really new games and they don't seem that popular:

http://troy.lib.sfu.ca/search~S1/?s...rchlimits=&searchorigarg=Xbreaking+bad&SORT=D

3 day loan with up to 3 renewals as long as there are no holds

SDM has their mega redemption this weekend. I'm thinking of grabbing the Xbone, but they seem to only have the old launch consoles at the store I go to. I probably should wait and hope that bundle at the next event, but I think it's probably not going to happen.

Aaaaand just got one of those 20% emails for this Friday.

Anyone know if you can use a coupon AND use points in the same transaction?

Based on the small print on the coupon sounds like you will only get $50 off the XBone and not the full 20% off. Just a heads up if you didn't know.

So I need to find the cheapest place to pre-order this. Please don't be $70.

The $70 cost of games in Canada is such a ripoff. I genuinely don't understand it since the Canadian dollar is BARELY below par with the USD. I could perhaps understand $65, but $70 is so ridiculous that it really makes me hesitate to buy games brand new. The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, but I'm not paying $70 to play it on PS4. $60 would even be a stretch.

Vibranium

Banned
Aw man, screw this $70 crap once again. I may wait for a price drop, just ridiculous. I do have credit though, so it may time to dish that out.

Lexxism

The $ is at 92 cents right now. So, if you convert 60 USD it should be just 65 CAD and not $70. I don't know how long it will last(probably won't last long) but just think the money they are earning with those $70 if this keeps up and I hope people won't buy games @ $70.

So happy that I did not come around to buy TLOU yet! One of the few games that I was still missing, I won't end up with a PS3 and PS4 copies like I did for Tomb Raider! Howevere, 70$ is way too high... I hope that it will drop in price as quickly as TR. The original TLOU took FOREVER to get a price drop on PS3...

Megasoum

Banned
So my friend lent me his WiiU. Since I never had one or a Wii I'm going through games I wanted to play over the years. Turns out it's almost impossible to find a copy of Punch-Out... None at EBGames in Montréal (the ones I could easily go anyway), somehow all the listings on EBay are from France and Amazon is selling them for 60$...ugh.

ohlawd

Bought a number of things from them over the past year, just bought Radiant Historia from them on Sunday, delivered to me (they're in Calgary and I'm in the GTA) today so they've been pretty good for me so far.
azomax is pretty sexeh

shipped monday, got it today. 3 days is freaking nice. when I scrounge up the money I'll be sure to order more.

zroid

Banned
So my friend lent me his WiiU. Since I never had one or a Wii I'm going through games I wanted to play over the years. Turns out it's almost impossible to find a copy of Punch-Out... None at EBGames in Montréal (the ones I could easily go anyway), somehow all the listings on EBay are from France and Amazon is selling them for 60$...ugh.

That's odd, Punch-Out was added to Nintendo's budget line so it was reprinted not too long ago, and last I checked there were still quite a few copies around. That said, I haven't checked in a while.

I got my copy for $5 on clearance at Best Buy :lol

It was funny because they were clearing out the original print copies (of which mine was the last) but still had a pile of the budget reprints selling for $20 at the same time.

Megasoum

Banned
That's odd, Punch-Out was added to Nintendo's budget line so it was reprinted not too long ago, and last I checked there were still quite a few copies around. That said, I haven't checked in a while.

I got my copy for $5 on clearance at Best Buy :lol

It was funny because they were clearing out the original print copies (of which mine was the last) but still had a pile of the budget reprints selling for $20 at the same time.

It's on the best buy website for 5$ (which is a great price) but not availalbe online and not in store anywhere near me.

It's not even on the FS website anymore. I could try my luck and go see in the bin there after work. There was no copies at my local BB when I went yesterday for something else.

The $70 cost of games in Canada is such a ripoff. I genuinely don't understand it since the Canadian dollar is BARELY below par with the USD. I could perhaps understand $65, but $70 is so ridiculous that it really makes me hesitate to buy games brand new. The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time, but I'm not paying $70 to play it on PS4. $60 would even be a stretch.

The $ is at 92 cents right now. So, if you convert 60 USD it should be just 65 CAD and not $70. I don't know how long it will last(probably won't last long) but just think the money they are earning with those $70 if this keeps up and I hope people won't buy games @ $70.

That's not how it works. A detailed explanation was posted in the last thread.

Retailers have been taking a hit because the dollar value has been under for quite some time now. So even before the price hike, they've been losing money.

That's not how it works. A detailed explanation was posted in the last thread.

Retailers have been taking a hit because the dollar value has been under for quite some time now. So even before the price hike, they've been losing money.

So, what about when it was ABOVE the American dollar for even longer?

Regardless, I hope it ends up being worth it to them. Because for me, the hike is enough to wait until the price drops instead of buying a game brand new. That means they get approx. $45 from me instead of the $60 they would get before the price hike.

Cheerilee

American publishers expect to get $50 USD, regardless of where anyone lives.
American retailers expect to get $10 USD.
Canadian retailers expect to get $10 CAD.

With the dollar hovering around $0.90, Canadian retailers have to pay $5 more for games, and they've been eating that extra cost for months. They haven't been earning $10 CAD per-game, they've been earning $5.

Everybody (major financial analysts) expects the dollar to drop to $0.80. At that point, Canadian retailers will be earning zero. They're not going to eat that. They're getting ahead of it with a $10 increase, pushing their profits up to $15, making up for lost profits, and anticipating that it will correct down to $10 profit.

Okamid3n

Since you're in Montreal, you could rent it for free for 3-9 weeks fron the BANQ library. Doesn't help if you just want to buy it, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
Since you're in Montreal, you could rent it for free for 3-9 weeks fron the BANQ library. Doesn't help if you just want to buy it, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

....They have games?? Goddammit lol... I'll definitely have to go take a look.

Thanks for the tip!

Lexxism

Regardless, I hope it ends up being worth it to them. Because for me, the hike is enough to wait until the price drops instead of buying a game brand new. That means they get approx. $45 from me instead of the $60 they would get before the price hike.

Haha, yeah. That's what I'm doing too. I just really hope people won't be buying that $70 anyway.

Google

Some of the talk about the recent price increase is so overly dramatic. The games got an additional increase in price because the USD/CAD conversion is losing the publishers/retailers money.

It was the same five years ago. Then as things got better from a CAD perspective the prices dropped again. It swings in roundabouts.

Of course, you're well entitled to not purchase the games - but the idea that I should somehow follow suit because you dont understand or agree with simple economics is rather silly.

If I want to play a videogame the fact that it costs an additional $10 to buy it at release does not scare me. I can afford that $10 and I'm not buying 50 games a month at full price for it to make any difference to my lifestyle.

Anyway - carry on. Sorry for the rant.

American publishers expect to get $50 USD, regardless of where anyone lives.
American retailers expect to get $10 USD.
Canadian retailers expect to get $10 CAD.

With the dollar hovering around $0.90, Canadian retailers have to pay $5 more for games, and they've been eating that extra cost for months. They haven't been earning $10 CAD per-game, they've been earning $5.

Everybody (major financial analysts) expects the dollar to drop to $0.80. At that point, Canadian retailers will be earning zero. They're not going to eat that. They're getting ahead of it with a $10 increase, pushing their profits up to $15, making up for lost profits, and anticipating that it will correct down to $10 profit.

Very good post.

Now let's do the same exercise from the consumer's point of view:

Canadians expect to have $X CAD for their personal expenses every month
Canadians expect to pay $60 CAD per game, like they have been doing for many years, but now suddenly they have to pay $10 CAD (a 17% more)
Retailers expect Canadians to eat the costs of this economic bump, and when things recover, earn $20 CAD per game sold (no way they will fix the price back this time)
Canadians still have $X CAD to spend on this stuff per month, though. So many might decide not to buy games at full price anymore because other stuff is more important or because a 17% increase is just too much for them. For every person that thinks that way they are eating $70 CAD.
Now, retailers or publishers could have decided to share the costs of the low CAD with consumers and just increase the price $5 CAD, find a compromise. But we all know that greed doesn't work that way. Let's see how that works out for them.

I can afford those extra $10 CAD, and will be probably biting the bullet and paying full price at some point in the future, but I'm already finding myself skipping games at full price that wouldn't have skipped before because the $10 jump is hitting some kind of psychological barrier...

SickBoy

80 cents? Link, please

The lowest I've seen from major banks is about 85 cents. I do recall something from some hedge fund dude saying it would drop further, but I don't think one hedge fund guy qualifies as a "major financial analyst"

mdubs

Banned
Ehh I'm not overly concerned. It sucks but I never bought $60 games anyways, I always either got the E3 deal or just waited for the price drop. Same as when they were $60, I'll pay $70 only for the absolute must-have day one games
anything persona
. To me the PS4 price increase is the real killer as that isn't going to go down for a long time (probably will pick one up at the next RCSS no tax day though)

Roto13

To me the PS4 price increase is the real killer as that isn't going to go down for a long time (probably will pick one up at the next RCSS no tax day though)

Yeah. :/ I can wait for price drops on games but PS4 is going to be $450 forever.

UberTag

So happy I scored my PS4 at launch when it was cheaper.

As for $70 games, I won't be buying a single one at that price. Especially for a game I already own and have played already (i.e. The Last of Us).
I have a backlog of titles that would last me at least 5 years if I stopped buying games tomorrow so there's absolutely no excuse not to wait.

As soon as we start telling retailers & publishers that we'll be willing to pay $70 for games at a 92-cent loonie, they'll decide we'll be happy paying $80 for games at an 80 to 85-cent loonie.
No thanks. I won't be a part of the problem.

There are ways to get a PS4 for less than $450, SDM carry Knack bundle for $450, if you buy it at 20X points event you're getting around $160 worth of points, or you can use one of those frequently released 20% off coupons and save $50 if they enforce the savings cap which sometimes they don't and you still get the points!
And you're still getting Knack for free, in fact that's much better value than what early adopters got!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There are ways to get a PS4 for less than $450, SDM carry Knack bundle for $450, if you buy it at 20X points event you're getting around $160 worth of points, or you can use one of those frequently released 20% off coupons and save $50 if they enforce the savings cap which sometimes they don't and you still get the points!
And you're still getting Knack for free, in fact that's much better value than what early adopters got!
I think the thing is that a lot of people are probably waiting for it to be less than 400. I would assume that any price drop would mean it would go back to 400, not match whatever the US price might be.

It's why I'm considering getting an Xbone now, since who knows what will happen to its price a few months from now.

I think the thing is that a lot of people are probably waiting for it to be less than 400. I would assume that any price drop would mean it would go back to 400, not match whatever the US price might be.

It's why I'm considering getting an X1 now, since who knows what will happen to its price a few months from now.

Microsoft can't afford to keep losing money. I believe it is just a matter of time till they hike the price. Unless there is an official price drop worldwide.

States have been getting some awesome discounts on X1, especially today's target bundle is a stunner.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Microsoft can't afford to keep losing money. I believe it is just a matter of time till they hike the price. Unless there is an official price drop worldwide.

States have been getting some awesome discounts on X1, especially today's target bundle is a stunner.
Maybe th'ats where the price differential is. Good deals for Americans, no deals for Canadians.

For those saying people can afford the extra 10$, that is your personal anecdote.

I know plenty of friends who are turned off from brand new games because of a simply ten dollar increase but I myself would gladly dish out the extra for a game I know I'd enjoy.

Nonetheless, it does suck for TLOU, I've already played it and feel no need to buy it at full price again.

explodet

This thread really is That $70s Show!

I'll be skipping this, I love the game to death but I've already played through it 3.5 times and the story won't suddenly have more impact at 1080p.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I really really hope ps4 controllers go on a sale soon. I want one for my pc badly. (And the steam controller, I want that to go on sale soon too)

Any rumour of ps4 controller sales?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really really hope ps4 controllers go on a sale soon. I want one for my pc badly. (And the steam controller, I want that to go on sale soon too)

Any rumour of ps4 controller sales?
You could use the 20% coupon from SDM. I don't think there's been any other deal since the Amazon pre-launch one.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
You could use the 20% coupon from SDM. I don't think there's been any other deal since the Amazon pre-launch one.

I'm still kicking myself for missing that amazon one.

It's hard to find a SDM with gaming stuff near me, their electronics section are quite pathetic. I was extremely lucky to get my vita from one but it took ages finding it.
(Which 20% coupon is this btw? Probably a generic non pricematchable at bestbuy coupon right?)

iphys

Wow, that's crazy how fast that game went from being worth next to nothing to being sought after. Maybe Little Mac's inclusion in Smash Bros just suddenly got everyone interested in the game.

Sora_N

Wow, that's crazy how fast that game went from being worth next to nothing to being sought after. Maybe Little Mac's inclusion in Smash Bros just suddenly got everyone interested in the game.

Probably, I feel like opening the copy I bought for $10 when I used to work at Toys 'R Us now just to play it lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still kicking myself for missing that amazon one.

It's hard to find a SDM with gaming stuff near me, their electronics section are quite pathetic. I was extremely lucky to get my vita from one but it took ages finding it.
(Which 20% coupon is this btw? Probably a generic non pricematable at bestbuy coupon right?)
Yeah. Friday only coupon.

Top Bottom