• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

iphys

weird, I ask my (2 different) friends to buy them for me both times. I gave them 10%/25% off the price of the card value. Got 2x $50 both times.

From what I remember the last time it was 25%[+5% with red card] off, the last last time it was 10%[+5% with red card] off.

proof:
Aug 6th 10% off psn/xbl/eshop cards
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/target-10-off-all-gaming-cards-psn-xbl-eshop-1527289/

Sept 1st 25% off psn cash cards (pricing error, should have been 10% off) end of page 4, start of page 5 where people reporting they got 25% off PSN cash cards
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/target-psn-xbox-live-cards-25-also-10-off-currency-cards-1544931/

I think what's confusing you is Sept wasn't the last time they did a card offer. The last time was the offer a couple weeks ago where it was buy 1 get 1 20% off. Sept was the second last time.

I still have an unused PS+ card from last year, I'm worried the code will expire or something but it doesn't list one on the card. So I figure worst case scenario I can just call Sony and complain about it. I'd just use it but my PS4 still has a good 6-7 months of time on it from the previous owner (my brother) and so far the IGC games have been crap I already own or don't want.

Anyways, is there somewhere to buy a battle.net authenticator in Canada for a reasonable price? The shipping from Blizzard triples the cost of the thing. And the one on amazon is $30, wtf it's 6 bucks normally.

Was it this much? I remember buying the authenticator and it not costing that much..... Of course I also did buy with a friend so we split the shipping cost and authenticator costs together....

antibolo

Banned
Just called EBGames support about my Persona Q 3DS XL order still stuck at "Confirmed" after one goddamn week from release, they seem pretty lost at this whole online order thing, the tech support guy admitted to me that they've had problems since they rehauled the site (why am I not surprised). Apparently I'm not the only customer facing payment authorization problems, it's a relatively common problem in their system. And of course they send no email notification to the customer when it happens, the order just gets stalled.

I hate EBGames so much. Screw Nintendo for giving them exclusives.

Socreges

Banned
I can't remember the last time I bought a game from EB. Maybe GTAV over a year ago, which itself was the first time in a while. They argued with me about price protection. Sorry to anyone here that might work for EB, but so many that work there are complete idiots. Possibly a symptom of the company's own sickness.

frequency

Last time I bought from EB Games, a week or something later they charged me $9999 or something on our credit card, which locked us out of the account.

Twice.

Then said they have no record of it and hinted that it was something I did wrong.

BadWolf

Only game I've pre-ordered from them was KOFXIII and had no issues, received it on released date.

.... guess I'll make that my first and last time.

I've never bought from the EB Games site. I don't know why, it's just always seemed to be a bit "ghetto" to me. It didn't feel legit for some reason. Same as the HMV site when that was selling shit (it might be still? who knows).

vvise

So no real deals on PS Plus card eh? I hardly feel like 2 years for $90 is a deal at target.

My sub runs out later this month, still holding on... even $40 would be nice.

antibolo

Banned
I can't remember the last time I bought a game from EB. Maybe GTAV over a year ago, which itself was the first time in a while. They argued with me about price protection. Sorry to anyone here that might work for EB, but so many that work there are complete idiots. Possibly a symptom of the company's own sickness.

The second to last time I went there in person, the cashier tried to sell me an extended warranty on a 3DS game because she claimed that they failed often and that I may lose my save. I then asked her how the hell would an extended warranty would save me from losing my save and then she just babbled more nonsense. And then after refusing three times she was all condescending like "oh well if you have problems you have been warned". I controlled my urge to insult her and concluded the purchase peacefully.

After getting out of the store I said fuck it, not going there again.

Then this year I wanted Danganronpa 2, Amazon.ca was stalling on my order as usual and I really wanted it for the weekend, but EBGames was the only one who carried it in my area, so I swallowed my pride and went there. Turns out that was a mistake, I lashed out at the cashier for refusing to price match with Best Buy, their artificial $45 price tag gouging just pissed me off.

So yeah, not a fan. Can you tell I reaaaallly wanted that EBGames exclusive Persona Q 3DS XL?

Robcat

Banned
I was looking at my receipt from eb games for smash and they charged me for the extended warranty? I always say no to the warranty and I know I said no when I bought it.

The second to last time I went there in person, the cashier tried to sell me an extended warranty on a 3DS game because she claimed that they failed often and that I may lose my save. I then asked her how the hell would an extended warranty would save me from losing my save and then she just babbled more nonsense. And then after refusing three times she was all condescending like "oh well if you have problems you have been warned". I controlled my urge to insult her and concluded the purchase peacefully.

It's weird, I hear COUNTLESS stories like this, especially pertaining to Edge cards and Warranties, and I have never experienced anything like it myself. If I did, I would ask for the district managers info right away, not to rat the person out specifically (although if they were being legit rude beyond the point of "shilling company shit because I have to" then I would), but to tell them that if this is how employees are trained to upsell, by being forceful and condescending, then it will drive customers away more than bring them in.

I still remember picking up Pokemon X (or Y) at EB and the guy was trying to sell me the disc guarantee because of a glitch that would corrupt your save (this was a bug that was eventually patched). I didn't bother correcting him.

You have to ask yourself: did he actually believe what he was saying, was he that desperate to sell warranties as a type of commission, or was he trained that way? It reflects badly on the company culture. I don't go there often, but it can't be a good place to work and the turnover must be high.

I stopped going there when Futureshop began to offer better trade promos and E3 discounts

And since Amazon had slightly lower prices this past E3, they got my business this year

DJ_Lae

I stopped going there when Futureshop began to offer better trade promos and E3 discounts

And since Amazon had slightly lower prices this past E3, they got my business this year

Same.

I think the only things I've purchased at EB Games in the past few years are Steam cards, when it was cheaper to pay $50 (and then $55) than eat currency conversion online.

In general I just find it an unpleasant place to shop.

Socreges

Banned

After getting out of the store I said fuck it, not going there again.

Then this year I wanted Danganronpa 2, Amazon.ca was stalling on my order as usual and I really wanted it for the weekend, but EBGames was the only one who carried it in my area, so I swallowed my pride and went there. Turns out that was a mistake, I lashed out at the cashier for refusing to price match with Best Buy, their artificial $45 price tag gouging just pissed me off.

So yeah, not a fan. Can you tell I reaaaallly wanted that EBGames exclusive Persona Q 3DS XL?
Yep. Sounds exactly like what I've experienced. And I think I said "price protection" above but meant product. It's a joke. And their insistence and patronizing attitude is pathetic.

EB is garbage. I tried to buy Tomb Raider a while back and they offered me the nasty, greasy ass, destroyed case on the shelf with a disc that they gutted and put into a sleeve behind the counter. Why wouldn't I just buy a used version since what they're giving me is essentially the same thing?

antibolo

Banned
EB is garbage. I tried to buy Tomb Raider a while back and they offered me the nasty, greasy ass, destroyed case on the shelf with a disc that they gutted and put into a sleeve behind the counter. Why wouldn't I just buy a used version since what they're giving me is essentially the same thing?

That practice is disgusting and should be illegal. If they opened it then it's not new anymore, period. I will never understand why they still get away with this.

Dazzler

the levels of theft from gaming stores are quite high

I used to run the games department at HMV Robson back in the day and we gutted a small amount of games to have display copies to put out on shelves

until publishers send out dummy cases, the practice will always continue

When we only have a couple of copies left, then unfortunately you're getting a gutted copy

it sucks, but stores will continue to do it

antibolo

Banned

I used to run the games department at HMV Robson back in the day and we gutted a small amount of games to have display copies to put out on shelves

When we only have a couple of copies left, then unfortunately you're getting a gutted copy

Gutted copies are fine as long as they are considered "open box" products and priced accordingly.

If you buy a TV at Best Buy and they only have their display unit left, they will sell it to you at a discount. Why the fuck does EBGames get a free pass selling "open box" units at full price??

Lexxism

I don't get it why you got mad at them for refusing a price match since they don't have that on their policy.

Sweet Ivy

Guys, does anyone have a trial for gold?
Even a 2-days would suffice!

So no real deals on PS Plus card eh? I hardly feel like 2 years for $90 is a deal at target.

My sub runs out later this month, still holding on... even $40 would be nice.
Me too, I was hoping for some deal, but have found none!

Gutted copies are fine as long as they are considered "open box" products and priced accordingly.

If you buy a TV at Best Buy and they only have their display unit left, they will sell it to you at a discount. Why the fuck does EBGames get a free pass selling "open box" units at full price??

Because TVs (and maybe computers, etc) are literally the only example you can think of when you'll actually get a discount like that, and it's for the sheer reason that TVs degrade, and it's arguable that you're buying a lesser product when you buy open box. TVs only have a few thousand hours of life in them, so when you're buying a unit that could have any number of hours already clocked, a discount only makes sense. That risk doesn't exist with games (or most other things, really).

When you buy a book at Chapters, someone else has probably opened it up and read a few pages. When you buy a shirt or pair of pants, chances are someone else has tried them on (THIS is the one people should be fighting for, someone elses balls touching my pants, not a fucking videogame). Hell, when you buy a new car, someone else has probably driven it.

Really, who cares? As long as you're getting a good condition product, and any codes or whatever inside aren't used, it matters exactly zero.

Lexxism

Speaking of micro sd, I checked my tracking # and it says that the item was successfully delivered. Yet, no one knocked or placed the order at our mailbox. Am I fuck? The hell.

So called Walmart regarding my lost package and they refunded item easily. Damn, it was a good price though. I guess I need to look for another micro sd :(

Futureshop and Best Buy both just have printed cards that you can bring up to the counter to get a real copy. Hell, they could even just re-use empty blu/dvd cases with printed inserts which they already do for pre-orders!! Gutting a game is the absolute dumbest way they can show what games they have in stock.

It's really odd, it is release day and no word of shipments from FS/BB about KH2.5. They didn't even charge me yet.

Pretty sure I just found the problem, and if so, I'm not very happy with it...

xmBBt0X.jpg

Madness

Can't even count how long I've visited Electronics Boutique now EBGames/Gamestop. Not once in Canada did they give me an open case. Only time ever was a Gamestop in US, and when I told her I wanted a new copy, I did get a glare but she went and got one.

I don't know how often they do it here, but as I've never seen it, I don't know. Tell them you want new, or you're leaving. These days, the sheer option of buying anywhere from EBGames, Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop, Target, Toys R Us, London Drugs, not to mention local mom and pop shops, or places that might carry games like Source, Staples, or places like Microsoft Store, they know they'll adapt.

The worst part about the company is there trade in policies. Just for kicks I asked how much I'd get for Advanced Warfare or Halo MCC 3 days after launch. They said it's $30 for the game, and $40 if you put it toward another game/pre-order. They sell that same used copy for $64.99 then.

The worst part about the company is there trade in policies. Just for kicks I asked how much I'd get for Advanced Warfare or Halo MCC 3 days after launch. They said it's $30 for the game, and $40 if you put it toward another game/pre-order. They sell that same used copy for $64.99 then.

$40 back on what will be $65 sale is pretty good, what would you expect? That's over 60% of the selling price.

Sora_N

Can't even count how long I've visited Electronics Boutique now EBGames/Gamestop. Not once in Canada did they give me an open case. Only time ever was a Gamestop in US, and when I told her I wanted a new copy, I did get a glare but she went and got one.

I don't know how often they do it here, but as I've never seen it, I don't know. Tell them you want new, or you're leaving. These days, the sheer option of buying anywhere from EBGames, Walmart, Best Buy, Future Shop, Target, Toys R Us, London Drugs, not to mention local mom and pop shops, or places that might carry games like Source, Staples, or places like Microsoft Store, they know they'll adapt.

Just because you've never had them do it doesn't mean they don't do the same thing in Canada. I do the same thing and ask for a sealed copy. If they don't and it was their old deal of the day I still bought it since those were super cheap. If they don't have sealed I just move on. Its simple. I rarely buy from EB unless it's exclusive or there's a deal or whatever.

To EB gutted is STILL NEW. That's the stupid policy. I just accepted it and move on if I don't want it.

ohlawd

I gotta go to EB anyway. They're the only ones that stock niche shit.

Amazon can gtfo with their ship years after launch policy.

just got a shipping notification for Capt' Toad from amazon. Normally it would only take one day to ship to my place, I may actually for the first time ever get to play a game before the releasing date lol

To EB gutted is STILL NEW. That's the stupid policy. I just accepted it and move on if I don't want it.

Haha maybe it's just me, but I have never once had any problem with that mentality. I mean, they need a way to attractively display the boxes (and the attractive part is why they'll never use picture cards, that and because putting legit boxes on shelves helps them to manage storage space that would otherwise overflow their back counter and stock room), and as long as all the codes and shit is there and the disc is in perfect condition, I don't see the problem. When I think of a used game, I think of a game that has not only been played, but played to the point that there is light visible wear and tear on it.

I mean, like I said. Books. Clothes. Cars. All of these things are "used" in some way, despite being sold as new. Hell, just think of next time you buy a pair of new shoes, and consider that about 10-15 people have already taken them for a stroll around the store. These are all more legit examples to me of this type of rationale than videogames.

Sora_N

Haha maybe it's just me, but I have never once had any problem with that mentality. I mean, they need a way to attractively display the boxes (and the attractive part is why they'll never use picture cards, that and because putting legit boxes on shelves helps them to manage storage space that would otherwise overflow their back counter and stock room), and as long as all the codes and shit is there and the disc is in perfect condition, I don't see the problem. When I think of a used game, I think of a game that has not only been played, but played to the point that there is light visible wear and tear on it.

I mean, like I said. Books. Clothes. Cars. All of these things are "used" in some way, despite being sold as new. Hell, just think of next time you buy a pair of new shoes, and consider that about 10-15 people have already taken them for a stroll around the store. These are all more legit examples to me of this type of rationale than videogames.

I just don't like to buy new things that are opened and pay full price, maybe if they were responsible and just charged people $5 less?

I haven't had a problem in a few years just by not really shopping there, and only asking for sealed copies anyways.

Anyone been able to get refunded the tax on cards from The Source? I bought two XBL Gold cards from them yesterday and got taxed. Hopefully I'll be able to get refunded since they shouldn't be taxing people on them.

iphys

just got a shipping notification for Capt' Toad from amazon. Normally it would only take one day to ship to my place, I may actually for the first time ever get to play a game before the releasing date lol

Lucky, I'm in NS and no shipping notice yet, but I'm also not Prime or anything.

krae_man

Ba ha ha ha, My Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Limited Edition preorder is listed as out of stock and hasn't shipped yet.

Edit: and my Crew preorder says "available for pickup at post office" and I have no delivery card.

mdubs

Banned
I ordered this morning after I saw your post and the shipping was less than a dollar. Looks like it was a glitch though since I tried placing an order for another anime just now and the shipping is above $20. Hope our order won't get cancel.

Mine shipped just now, looks like they'll be going through

Ba ha ha ha, My Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Limited Edition preorder is listed as out of stock and hasn't shipped yet.

Edit: and my Crew preorder says "available for pickup at post office" and I have no delivery card.

I had that happen to me once. I just went to my post office with proof of address and photo ID and they had my package. The next day, my delivery card was in my mailbox.

kaiyo

I think what's confusing you is Sept wasn't the last time they did a card offer. The last time was the offer a couple weeks ago where it was buy 1 get 1 20% off. Sept was the second last time.

Ohh I see, I guess I missed the previous one, my bad.

Top Bottom