• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That's correct, they'd just give you $50 off. Although I have heard in some cases the employees give the full 20% off because they aren't aware of the rule.

Yup. Got $100 off my WiiU 2 weeks after launch because of that. :p

Lexxism

Ugh, fine print says "discount may not exceed $50." PS4's a no go.

edit: unless that means they'd knock $50 off the price. Is that the case?

That's correct, they'd just give you $50 off. Although I have heard in some cases the employees give the full 20% off because they aren't aware of the rule.

Yup. Here's an example.

tVS6ari.jpg

dream

Thanks guys. I'll go try my luck. Worst case scenario, I'll just end up with a PS4 at the original launch price.

Endy MacK

Thanks, I managed to price match Wind Waker at Future Shop.

Will Futureshop/Best Buy still price-match if WW is showing out of stock online? For some reason I didn't think they would. I checked my local Staples, but no luck. Also, I don't think this is advertised in the flyer is it?

Kazerei

Banned
Will Futureshop/Best Buy still price-match if WW is showing out of stock online? For some reason I didn't think they would. I checked my local Staples, but no luck. Also, I don't think this is advertised in the flyer is it?

You can check the in-store stock on Target's website. It was listed as "low stock clearance item" in Kitchener and Cambridge so the cashier was okay with it.

Lexxism

Looks like you can get the watch dogs for $10 off(All platforms)@ FS. It's also include collectors edition.

From RFD as usual

JRBechard

My Best-Buy didn't want to match it but Walmart didn't care and let me have it.

Endy MacK

You can check the in-store stock on Target's website. It was listed as "low stock clearance item" in Kitchener and Cambridge so the cashier was okay with it.

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.

Edit: JRBechard: Thanks, I will probably just try WalMart first, than.

baconcow

Just a guess but I figure Sony is taking a bigger hit on the hardware than MS is, and they didn't want to go even further in the red. No excuse for the peripherals, but generally speaking these companies have huge margins on them, and are used to recoup losses from the consoles, so they felt they had to raise the prices on those too.

Sony's not raising the price of the PS3 because they're already making money on it.

Neither I or the cashier was aware of the rule and I ended up getting 20% off ($90) as a result. 30% off is amazing, though.

I just bought a Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player for $34 before taxes (it was open box and price matched at Boss Sound's Kijiji ad which is $40), and I'm just curious about something.

The thing when playing DVD's so far makes my TV's input info (in this case, HDMI2) pop up every time it plays like a new trailer or goes into the menu, but not during changing scenes.

I'm trying to figure out why that is. If anyone has experience with that player, let me know.

So amazon.ca has the following games for pre-order at $59.99.

The Order 1886 PS4
Destiny PS4 & XB1

It is sad that a game for $59.99 is being posted as a deal.

Zing

Banned
I just bought a Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player for $34 before taxes (it was open box and price matched at Boss Sound's Kijiji ad which is $40), and I'm just curious about something.

The thing when playing DVD's so far makes my TV's input info (in this case, HDMI2) pop up every time it plays like a new trailer or goes into the menu, but not during changing scenes.

I'm trying to figure out why that is. If anyone has experience with that player, let me know.
Each trailer and the main menu is an individual file on the DVD. I guess the player is re syncing the signal at the start of each file.

Gxgear

I hate those 70$ prices. With tax, that comes to 80$+. Ridiculous !

Playstation controllers and peripherals also got a bump in price... WTF !

Why are Xbox One prices the same as before but not Playstation ?

It's a retailer's decision to raise prices, they're still being charged the same amount of USD on each unit by Sony, but with a weak Canadian dollar they're paying more. Meanwhile there's either still old Xbone stock in retailer's inventory, or Microsoft has made a conscious decision to eat the additional cost to push their hardware, or retailers are afraid raising prices for the less popular console would further hamper the demand.

It's a retailer's decision to raise prices, they're still being charged the same amount of USD on each unit by Sony, but with a weak Canadian dollar they're paying more. Meanwhile there's either still old Xbone stock in retailer's inventory, or Microsoft has made a conscious decision to eat the additional cost to push their hardware, or retailers are afraid raising prices for the less popular console would further hamper the demand.

Sony increased their MSRP, however.

timnich

That's actually not true at all. The price increase came from Sony themselves, they were actually holding back stock in Canada until the price increase was approved. Retailers would have to eat about $40 per unit sold if they kept the price at $400. Microsoft was going to raise their prices as well, but ultimately decided against it.

Gxgear

My mistake then. They raised the price south of the border too? What the hell. They're not going to raise Canadian prices even higher, are they?

SickBoy

Where the hell do they hide that feature? Would be really helpful, but assuming you didn't somehow wind up at target.com, I can't figure where you found it.

Like some of you, I ended up getting the full 20% discount too, and I felt kind of dirty for it.

Glad to hear that it worked for you! Congratulation for it! Also, don't feel bad! You think that Loblaws will really miss that money? haha

They own, on top of getting the ok to buy Shoppers :

Superstore
Atlantic Superstore (Maritimes)
Dominion Stores (Newfoundland)
Real Canadian Superstore (Ontario, Western Canada, and Yukon)
Maxi & Cie (Quebec)

"Great Food"
Loblaws / Loblaw Great Food / Loblaws CityMarket (British Columbia, Southern Ontario and Quebec)
Provigo / Provigo Le Marché (Quebec; some franchised)
T & T Supermarket (British Columbia (Metro Vancouver), Alberta (Calgary, Edmonton) and Ontario (Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa))
Zehrs / Zehrs Great Food (Southwestern Ontario, South Central Ontario, Central Ontario)

Primarily franchised
SaveEasy (Atlantic Canada)
Fortinos (Hamilton, Toronto and suburban Golden Horseshoe)
SuperValu (Western Canada)
Shop Easy Foods (Western Canada)
Lucky Dollar Foods (Western Canada)
Red & White Food Stores (Atlantic Canada)
Valu-mart (Ontario)
Freshmart (Ontario, Nova Scotia)
Your Independent Grocer (Ottawa area; Ontario, British Columbia and Saskatchewan)

Hard discount
Extra Foods (Western Canada, Yukon and Northwest Territories; some franchised)
Maxi / Maxi & Cie (Quebec)
No Frills (National except Quebec, Manitoba, and the Territories; franchised)

Wholesale / Cash and carry
Atlantic Cash & Carry (Atlantic Canada)
Entrepôts Presto (Quebec)
Club Entrepôt (Quebec - formerly Club Entrepôt Provigo)
NG Cash & Carry (Ontario)
Wholesale Club (Ontario, Western Canada and Nova Scotia)

Liquor
Real Canadian Liquorstore (Alberta)

Dammit Luigi U is sold out online so BB didn't let me PM. Maybe I'll try in store after work

How are you price-matching? I made a mistake of ordering Wind Waker HD from Bestbuy and trying to price match it online and that didn't work. However, when I called Bestbuy, I was told that that's because online orders only price match with online orders. And if you could say there "might" be stock in the local stores, you can price match it at the store. (I guess it could also vary between stores though...)

I eventually did walk in to a store and price matched Wind Waker HD. I guess it was possible because Staples website lists it as available in stores as "low stock clearance items".

gzero

How are you price-matching? I made a mistake of ordering Wind Waker HD from Bestbuy and trying to price match it online and that didn't work. However, when I called Bestbuy, I was told that that's because online orders only price match with online orders. And if you could say there "might" be stock in the local stores, you can price match it at the store. (I guess it could also vary between stores though...)

I eventually did walk in to a store and price matched Wind Waker HD. I guess it was possible because Staples website lists it as available in stores as "low stock clearance items".

My experience with price matching Best buy online is that they will tell you whatever they can to not give you the discount. Stopped shopping there because of it.

Sora_N

Had work at 8 am PST so I ordered at 7am and called them on my walk to work. She said no pm so I asked to cancel

I'm too lazy and tired but might try to go to store tonight

nordique

Rayman Legends Wii U is now 19.99 at FS/BB and is available in many stores around BC (not sure about the rest of Canada). Out of stock on line, but I just reserved one and picked it up in store earlier this week, was in stock.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/Search/Search...91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=rayman+legends

http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/Sea...91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=rayman+legends

It's like this in Alberta as well to my knowledge.

Might be nationwide.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
The campaign is heavily glitched, so my suggestion is if you playing it, beat it in a single sitting.

I lost my game save twice. I gave up on the game.

And the quality of the campaign was pretty sad too so consider that too. Worst shooter campaign I have played since Call of Duty 3. I consistently watched enemy soldiers and tanks drop/pop into the game 100 feet in front of me. It was shockingly bad.

Gloam

Any decent in-store deals on PS Vita in Downtown Toronto? Going to visit my wife's family in a week and the exchange rate may work in my favour.

Returners

Any impressions on buying games from Costco? Recently got a membership and saw that games were limited in selection but cheaper than outside retail stores by ~5 bucks?

Any impressions on buying games from Costco? Recently got a membership and saw that games were limited in selection but cheaper than outside retail stores by ~5 bucks?

You bring the game that you wish to buy to the cashier and you pay for it with money, in the form of a card, bills or change. The games come in a box, sometimes there is a booklet in the box, sometimes not. There is always a disc or a cartridge, though! You can put it in your console and play the game. You might also pay ~5$ less than at a retail store, but their selection of games is limited. You also need to exit the store once you are done if you wish to get home, same principle as you would find if you end up in a EbGames or a Futureshop.

=)

Cheerilee

Costco is known for having the most generous return policies of anyone, ever, but that might not mean that you're able to buy the game, take it home, open it, play it for the weekend, and then say you didn't like it and bring it back for a full cash refund. Or it might. I dunno.

Teletraan1

Banned
That's actually not true at all. The price increase came from Sony themselves, they were actually holding back stock in Canada until the price increase was approved. Retailers would have to eat about $40 per unit sold if they kept the price at $400. Microsoft was going to raise their prices as well, but ultimately decided against it.

When I bought my PS4 at Walmart it was because someone incorrectly put the stock they had sitting in the back on the shelf. As I was checking out the cashier said to another employee "these should not be out here." and they were promptly rounding up the PS4s and putting them in the back. Now that the price is increased they magically have full shelves. Titanfall bundles galore too.

I also had a mysterious Best Buy trip where there were like 30+ people waiting outside as it said that there was stock at this location. People from a half hour to an hour away. Not a single PS4 was handed out that day. Stock error that was not corrected on the site for 4 hour or more. Sure did drive some store traffic.

Just picked up a standard Xbox One for $335 ($378 with tax) from Future Shop.

I was able to get one of the $350 ones NCIX had on yesterday and used the invoice today to price match in store. So it was even less with the price beat price match. Quickly cancelled the online order after.

Don't think I'll ever get this good of a deal on anything in the near future. Highly doubt it will get lowered to that price point at E3 in June either.

Woohoo! Alas I have no games because I just wanted the deal. Not really in a rush, borrowed a friends copy of Ryse for now. Playing Titanfall on my PC.

In case you were wondering this is the deal I am referring to:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/xbox-one-350-coupon-code-clrsaleapr11-ncix-ca-1470763/

Anth0ny

Just picked up a standard Xbox One for $335 ($378 with tax) from Future Shop.

I was able to get one of the $350 ones NCIX had on yesterday and used the invoice today to price match in store. So it was even less with the price beat price match. Quickly cancelled the online order after.

Don't think I'll ever get this good of a deal on anything in the near future. Highly doubt it will get lowered to that price point at E3 in June either.

Woohoo! Alas I have no games because I just wanted the deal. Not really in a rush, borrowed a friends copy of Ryse for now. Playing Titanfall on my PC.

In case you were wondering this is the deal I am referring to:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/xbox-one-350-coupon-code-clrsaleapr11-ncix-ca-1470763/

woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

$150 off, that's amazing. I'm pretty sure it'll be kinect-less and $350 MSRP by the time it has a game I really want for it, though :p

Top Bottom