• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

iLLmAtlc

Not sure I'm going to bite on this, since I own pretty much everything in this package already between MGS1 on PSN, MGS HD for PS3, and the old Essential Collection for PS2, but: Metal Gear Solid Legacy is still available from Amazon.ca for $49.99. Apparently that's a big deal because they've been getting harder to find in the States, though when I was in NYC last month I saw a bunch in a Best Buy and thought nothing of it.

I think that's a re-stock actually. There was a post today @ Gaming-GAF saying it was back in stock for $50 on Amazon.com too.

Thx for the heads up tho. I was thinking about it for a while but 50 for games I already own is crazy to me lol.

E: Strange, Amazon.com is showing out of stock again.

here's the post I was talking about:

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107580881

Very good post.

Now let's do the same exercise from the consumer's point of view:

Canadians expect to have $X CAD for their personal expenses every month
Canadians expect to pay $60 CAD per game, like they have been doing for many years, but now suddenly they have to pay $10 CAD (a 17% more)
Retailers expect Canadians to eat the costs of this economic bump, and when things recover, earn $20 CAD per game sold (no way they will fix the price back this time)
Canadians still have $X CAD to spend on this stuff per month, though. So many might decide not to buy games at full price anymore because other stuff is more important or because a 17% increase is just too much for them. For every person that thinks that way they are eating $70 CAD.
Now, retailers or publishers could have decided to share the costs of the low CAD with consumers and just increase the price $5 CAD, find a compromise. But we all know that greed doesn't work that way. Let's see how that works out for them.

I can afford those extra $10 CAD, and will be probably biting the bullet and paying full price at some point in the future, but I'm already finding myself skipping games at full price that wouldn't have skipped before because the $10 jump is hitting some kind of psychological barrier...

As for $70 games, I won't be buying a single one at that price. Especially for a game I already own and have played already (i.e. The Last of Us).
I have a backlog of titles that would last me at least 5 years if I stopped buying games tomorrow so there's absolutely no excuse not to wait.

As soon as we start telling retailers & publishers that we'll be willing to pay $70 for games at a 92-cent loonie, they'll decide we'll be happy paying $80 for games at an 80 to 85-cent loonie.
No thanks. I won't be a part of the problem.

I agree with the above posts 100%. I'm simply not willing to pay $78.40 (in B.C.) for a game. Ever. It seems like an absurd expense, and passes a psychology barrier with me...it's not far off from $100.

Theoretically, stores would actually be in a worse position if enough people changed their habits and stopped buying games on day one. I'm not advocating other people to do that (to each his own), but that would definitely be ironic.

Vibranium

Banned
I thought of something, could I preorder a game at a local Futureshop ($10 deposit), and then when I go to pick it up from the store, price match it using VideoGamesPlus? Probably not I guess, they lock you in.

For Winnipeg people looking for ps4 at shoppers: Shoppers in Winnipeg Square (underground mall) has had a ps4 for the last week and it was still there yesterday. So odds are it could still be there tomorrow.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
TLOU PS4 being $70 is a double whammy because it's also an enhanced port of a last gen game. Sony is probably one of the greediest companies when it comes to pricing their games here in Canada.

I refuse to buy games at $70, let alone enhanced ports of old games at full price. It's why I waited for a price drop to buy TWW HD(bought it on boxing day). It does help that I already have TLOU + the DLC.

TLOU PS4 being $70 is a double whammy because it's also an enhanced port of a last gen game. Sony is probably one of the greediest companies when it comes to pricing their games here in Canada.

I refuse to buy games at $70, let alone enhanced ports of old games at full price. It's why I waited for a price drop to buy TWW HD(bought it on boxing day). It does help that I already have TLOU + the DLC.

As much as I want to disagree, I agree on the fact that I won't pay $70 as that's absurd. I also own the game and season pass, and I've yet to play the DLC.

The good thing is that there are always E3 deals which is when I'll be ordering mine. Not at $70+tax though.

I don't think I'll be buying any game at $70, and TLOU is not an exception.

zroid

Banned
Apparently this is a Target exclusive

NItLB9q.png

I kind of want one... wish it had the game included though instead of a carrying case

ohlawd

Got that preordered during E3 >:3

Return trick tho cuz I don't wanna miss even one day. We gon' get that anti grav, son.

I import Japanese games regularly, and I find it rather funny that the Canadian prices are starting to creep up to the Japanese game region. If I REALLY want it, I'll just spend the dollars. The increase has made it a bit easier to resist my more spontaneous purchases.

Oh and that Titanfall bundle listed above it a nice deal. I'm going to have to message a few friends.

ohlawd

welp I did it. Bit on that X1 deal. Now waiting for a Dead Rising 3 deal.

Xbone, Wii U, PS3, 3DS and Vita should last me a good while.

Toronto GAF: Is there any place downtown where I can get a good cheap Blu-Ray Player aside from NOORI (which has no warranty)?

Looking for something around $30-$40. NOORI has a Seiki player for $30, and research shows it's popular, if only for its region-free capabilities. But folks have mentioned lock-ups and whatnot. They have used Samsung and Insignia players for around the same price but again with no warranty and not being new, I'm skeptical.

So I'd prefer a familiar name. Any suggestions?

Pavillion

I agree with the above posts 100%. I'm simply not willing to pay $78.40 (in B.C.) for a game. Ever. It seems like an absurd expense, and passes a psychology barrier with me...it's not far off from $100.

Theoretically, stores would actually be in a worse position if enough people changed their habits and stopped buying games on day one. I'm not advocating other people to do that (to each his own), but that would definitely be ironic.

Agreed. I can't believe how much of a difference a 10 dollar price hike actually makes. I was talking to some of my friends about maybe giving the new ufc game a shot. We all came to the conclusion it's not worth it at $69 plus tax. at $59 we would have been tempted but not anymore. I went into this new generation thinking any interesting game that cathes my eye, I will give it a shot. But at $69 for a 8 hour campaign and to never touch it again...no thanks. I'll give it a rent and you won't get my money.

really sorry for the rambles and not making sense. It's late and im tired.

ohlawd

Just curious - what made you switch from PS3 to Xbox One? Most cases of switching seems to be from Xbox 360 to PS4.
It's more for my sister than for myself. I actually have little interest in either the PS4 or X1 and their libraries, current and announced. But I'll give the nudge to MS for having more stuff I want to play than Sony's. I don't care about getting worse performance on multiplats or whatever. tbh waiting for E3 and/or TGS is the smart thing to do.

I'll get a PS4 probably like 2-3 years from now. By then, it should have a decent set of JRPGs and other weird Japanese games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
what kinda stuff do you guys buy at SDM to get all those points?
I bought a Vita there at launch, but there have been weird promos at various points. I still remember the whole "buy 2 chocolate get 8000 points" thing. lol

I still have another 95k points, but now there's literally nothing to buy now.

welp I did it. Bit on that X1 deal. Now waiting for a Dead Rising 3 deal.

Xbone, Wii U, PS3, 3DS and Vita should last me a good while.

Just curious - what made you switch from PS3 to Xbox One? Most cases of switching seems to be from Xbox 360 to PS4.

To be honest, I have both the PS4 and the X1 but I've been spending more time on the X1 than the PS4 even with the fact that all the multiplatform games are on the PS4.

I'm having fun with Titanfall with my friends, so I'm not complaining.

I bought a Vita there at launch, but there have been weird promos at various points. I still remember the whole "buy 2 chocolate get 8000 points" thing. lol

I still have another 95k points, but now there's literally nothing to buy now.

I just got a Shoppers Optimum card recently, I need to use it more often and look out for promotions, they do have quite some substantial savings, if you can keep up with it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just go price match at BB or FS

Sweet! Though I had to call 3 times until a customer service agent at Future Shop provided the price-match, I got Pokemon Y at 19.99$ and Super Luigi U for 9.99$ (going to be worth a few $ as I believe Nintendo announced that it would be only available through the year of Luigi, which is over now - stock em up)

Thxs :D

Kazerei

Banned
so how exactly does one go about price matching stuff
Simply take it to the cashier and say you'd like to price match this item, it's $XX.XX at YYY store. They will need something to verify it, like a flyer or the website if you can show them on your phone. Most major chains offer price matching, like Future Shop, Best Buy, Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, and even grocery chains like Loblaws/Superstore/Zehrs. However they won't price match with U.S. stores, Amazon.ca third-party sellers, clearance sales, out of stock items, or printing errors. If you're lucky, sometimes the cashier might let those last few rules slip.

I hate those 70$ prices. With tax, that comes to 80$+. Ridiculous !

Playstation controllers and peripherals also got a bump in price... WTF !

Why are Xbox One prices the same as before but not Playstation ?

I hate those 70$ prices. With tax, that comes to 80$+. Ridiculous !

Because ps4's are selling like hot cakes and every store I go to has Xbones on the shelf.

zroid

Banned

Just a guess but I figure Sony is taking a bigger hit on the hardware than MS is, and they didn't want to go even further in the red. No excuse for the peripherals, but generally speaking these companies have huge margins on them, and are used to recoup losses from the consoles, so they felt they had to raise the prices on those too.

Sony's not raising the price of the PS3 because they're already making money on it.

Ugh, fine print says "discount may not exceed $50." PS4's a no go.

edit: unless that means they'd knock $50 off the price. Is that the case?

That's correct, they'd just give you $50 off. Although I have heard in some cases the employees give the full 20% off because they aren't aware of the rule.

Top Bottom