• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Lexxism

Yes and no. Normal purchases without a coupon are updated immediately. I did 20x on $75 a recent Saturday and was able to see the points and transfer them immediately. They showed up on my receipt ready to be used.

However, I just used a 20x points on $25+ coupon I received in my email. This coupon had to be printed and is tied to my optimum card. It has a one time usage. I was told that I will receive these points by May 18th (says this on the coupon, but the cashier reiterated it). My expectation is that they delay these points as they are using a one time coupon tied to my account and it is the only way to control their usage.

So in the end, it all depends on the way you buy. If normally, then the points are instant. Other means (by coupon, etc.), you are best to verify with them at purchase. Also, 18,500 on $75 days are the best point per dollar if you spend $75. Otherwise, 20x are great. If you sign up for optimum coupons, you will receive many types.

Ohhh. So if there's a 20x event without a coupon, the points will be updated immediately and I can use it right away with the item I bought? Interesting. I guess this is my biggest chance to get a cheaper Vita. My problem now will be finding a Vita in-store.

Goodbye my import dream. I enjoyed it while it last

Thanks for the info!

baconcow

Ohhh. So if there's a 20x event without a coupon, the points will be updated immediately and I can use it right away with the item I bought? Interesting. I guess this is my biggest chance to get a cheaper Vita. My problem now will be finding a Vita in-store.

Thanks for the info!

Be very careful with purchasing consoles. SDM has a no return policy on opened consoles. If you get stuck pixels, you're stuck dealing with Sony and may not get help unless you have a threshold amount. I bought my PS4 there, but avoided getting my PS Vital and 3DS there as I an paranoid of bad screens.

I flat out refuse to buy from any ebay seller who is part of that program. As soon as I scroll down and see "import fees", I go back to search results and find another seller.

I won't hate on them too much. Remember that sellers using the global shipping program are people who don't offer international shipping anyway. These are all items you would normally not have available to you. So, people who want to spend double the shipping cost out of desperation are able to.

Definitely not the sellers fault. They don't even see the GSP charge/amount. They're completely oblivious. The biggest issue is how much EBay is pushing this to sellers. So it's not just sellers that wouldn't sell international before. The number is increasing more and more. The easiest way is to vote with your wallet. I haven't used eBay, PayPal or Kijiji in a couple of months, and won't until they make changes to GSP.

Thanks for the info!

You can never use the points earned on the same item, yes you can buy a different item in a different transaction at the same time.

Edit: sorry for the double post -_-

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Be very careful with purchasing consoles. SDM has a no return policy on opened consoles. If you get stuck pixels, you're stuck dealing with Sony and may not get help unless you have a threshold amount. I bought my PS4 there, but avoided getting my PS Vital and 3DS there as I an paranoid of bad screens.
I'd simply recommend never buying any electronics through Shoppers, ever.

Megasoum

Banned
Is that deal still going on?

Yeah...well it's not really a "deal", it's just the regular price in Mexico. But I just checked and it's hasn't changed. Regular version is 39 and deluxe is 45. I bought both deluxe versions of Watch_dogs and Dragon Age 3 for 105$ can the other day.

iphys

It depends on the Shoppers. Some still do allow returns on electronics. I still buy from them regardless, as I've bought 15 Nintendo handhelds and never once had a bad pixel or any major problem, and worst case I'd trust Nintendo to repair a faulty system.

Lexxism

You can never use the points earned on the same item, yes you can buy a different item in a different transaction at the same time.

Edit: sorry for the double post -_-

I see. That made me think twice.

For the record, I got my Vita from Shoppers and it turned out to be an amazing deal.

Picked up the Call of Duty Vita bundle, which is normally $200.

Used a 30% off coupon and the cashier gave me the full $60 (supposed to be $50 max).

Paid with 50,000 points on a Spend Your Points Day (even though you're not supposed to be able to combine deals) and got $105 off instead of $85.

Traded in Call of Duty at EB for $18 right away.

Bottom line: paid $17 and 50,000 points for a Vita.

iphys

Yeah, huge percentage of money saved vs tiny percentage chance of getting a defective console and having to deal with the manufacturer makes Shoppers well worth it.

I see. That made me think twice.

Honestly I'd not say SDM is a bad idea, I bought my Wii U and 3DS XL from SDM and haven't had any problems, but you should buy only during 20X events or using 20X coupons!
Even if I'm buying something at full price I'd put SDM as my first choice cause with 20X you're usually getting quite some money back!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, anybody here who ordered used games from eStarland? I have a few hard-to-find games I want to order there, but I'm afraid I'll be hit by custom fees...

Returners

Some third party resellers are selling the Vita 64GB memory card on Amazon.ca with free shipping.

Anyone tried going through that route, I wonder if custom charges will apply?

Lexxism

Some third party resellers are selling the Vita 64GB memory card on Amazon.ca with free shipping.

Try asking what shipping company are they going to use. If it's FedEx and UPS then your wallet is going to bleed

Edit: saw it at amazon. Yeah it is fulfilled by amazon so you wont hit by customs.

Yasumi

Banned

As long as it says that it's fulfilled by Amazon and they aren't shipping directly from Japan, you shouldn't be hit with any customs fees.

RGM79

Yeah...well it's not really a "deal", it's just the regular price in Mexico. But I just checked and it's hasn't changed. Regular version is 39 and deluxe is 45. I bought both deluxe versions of Watch_dogs and Dragon Age 3 for 105$ can the other day.
Oh, thanks for the details. I don't have to run Origin through a Mexican VPN/proxy to play, will I? No region lock?

Has anyone here ever used VMedia? I'm sick of Rogers TV, and want to find a cheaper option without cutting cable entirely. Their prices seem decent, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them or knows anything about them.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh, thanks for the details. I don't have to run Origin through a Mexican VPN/proxy to play, will I? No region lock?

Shouldn't have too. You need to use the vpn to add the game to your cart but you switch the vpn off before paying. I see both games as "Coming out soon" in my library right now.

Takuan

I wish Vita memory cards went on sale more often. I have a $10 Rewards Zone certificate that expires soon, and even at $30 the 16GB card seems like a rip-off.

I wish Vita memory cards went on sale more often. I have a $10 Rewards Zone certificate that expires soon, and even at $30 the 16GB card seems like a rip-off.

I look all the time, never saw them on sale in Canada... They went on sale a few times before? I ask because you mention "more often".

Kalren

For the record, I got my Vita from Shoppers and it turned out to be an amazing deal.

Picked up the Call of Duty Vita bundle, which is normally $200.

Used a 30% off coupon and the cashier gave me the full $60 (supposed to be $50 max).

Paid with 50,000 points on a Spend Your Points Day (even though you're not supposed to be able to combine deals) and got $105 off instead of $85.

Traded in Call of Duty at EB for $18 right away.

Bottom line: paid $17 and 50,000 points for a Vita.

This is very similar to my Vita purchase at Shoppers. I had a 30% off coupon and went on a $210 redemption day(missed out on $4 but oh well). I walked away with a Vita ($200) + PS4 Controller($60), 8GB Vita memory($20), and a Sony Vita case ($20?).

Paid $10 for taxes.

Using points, I've also purchased 2 PS3s, a 3DS, and a few other large redemptions. I imagine that with Loblaws buying Shoppers Drug Mart, changes will continue to be made and the points program will not be as fruitfull as in the past.

dxV7BXrR

ohlawd

gawdddd I want it since my 32 gig isn't enough

But these prices, lawdddd

Sony, pls announce the 64 gig for NA AND another price drop for all sticks at E3

I think they have. The useless ones tho like the 4 and 8 gigs...

As someone who got the AC White Vita and stuck with the 4GB memory stick for about a year and a half now. I feel like I'm learning to appreciate this ability to micromanage literally every megabyte just so I can make the most out of this damn 4GB memory... It's also why half my Vita library is physical.

I hope they announce a 64GB for NA officially as well, it would probably save me like 10-20 bucks if they sold it officially here.

I just wish they used a micro SD instead. SMH@ Sony

I think there was a doc going around, but I have no idea where it is now at this point.

I'm firehawk1234 if you want to add me.

We've been friends on Live for years now, can't even remember when and how but I don't think we ever played together, haha.

Chatin

As someone who got the AC White Vita and stuck with the 4GB memory stick for about a year and a half now. I feel like I'm learning to appreciate this ability to micromanage literally every megabyte just so I can make the most out of this damn 4GB memory... It's also why half my Vita library is physical.

I hope they announce a 64GB for NA officially as well, it would probably save me like 10-20 bucks if they sold it officially here.
PS+ for Vita has been pretty much pointless for me. I can't be bothered spending the time transferring several GB of data every time I want to try a different game. It's also killed any interest in supporting the platform digitally, past Lumines at launch.

The sticks need to be much larger and much cheaper, and pronto.

Rbk_3

Has anyone here ever used VMedia? I'm sick of Rogers TV, and want to find a cheaper option without cutting cable entirely. Their prices seem decent, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them or knows anything about them.

I have it. The tv isn't the greatest quality but the unlimited internet as awesome. I get 25/4 unlimited for 50 a month then most channels for another 50

jackharm

Neo Member
Update from my Dark Souls II dilemma.

On May 2nd I requested a return to sender since I did not want to pay a $55 brokerage and a $15 amendment fee (on a $121 order) to fix a mistake I didn't create, and requested a refund through NamcoBandai's site.

Everything goes smoothly in terms of the return to sender status from UPS and I was getting pretty prompt replies throughout the weekend from NamcoBandai with them saying they would process a refund when it reaches their warehouse.

But today, I get another status update from UPS and see that it is being sent back to me and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow? I wonder if either NamcoBandai decided to pay the fees or if UPS decided it was not worth it to charge me?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just wish they used a micro SD instead. SMH@ Sony

We've been friends on Live for years now, can't even remember when and how but I don't think we ever played together, haha.
lol
It must be from this thread!

Update from my Dark Souls II dilemma.

On May 2nd I requested a return to sender since I did not want to pay a $55 brokerage and a $15 amendment fee (on a $121 order) to fix a mistake I didn't create, and requested a refund through NamcoBandai's site.

Everything goes smoothly in terms of the return to sender status from UPS and I was getting pretty prompt replies throughout the weekend from NamcoBandai with them saying they would process a refund when it reaches their warehouse.

But today, I get another status update from UPS and see that it is being sent back to me and is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow? I wonder if either NamcoBandai decided to pay the fees or if UPS decided it was not worth it to charge me?
Yick. Knowing UPS, I hope it's not a greater increase in fees. :p

Lexxism

But lol $55 brokerage fee. That's f***ing half of the item you bought. Still remember the item I bought from HK using FedEx and got hit half of price I ordered.

Top Bottom