• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Anyone think Futureshop or any other store would have discount on Mario Kart 8 before the release?

Absolutely not unless they have a $10 off preorders promo.

FS/BB sales are already nonexistent and MK8 is highly anticipated on top of being a Nintendo title.

Anyone think Futureshop or any other store would have discount on Mario Kart 8 before the release?

Not a discount on Mario Kart per se, but if you happen to live in Quebec and don't have these other games already, Microplay gives 50% off Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong when you pre-order Mario Kart.

If anyone is looking for a OG Vita in flawless condition PM me. It's around 4 months old and I can dig up the receipt for warranty purposes. I'll throw in a 4 gig memory card also.

Vancouver area.

dream

Granted, this probably speaks more to how shitty we have it, but I signed up for Google Play Music All Access and the service, the value proposition, is frankly unbelievable to me.

zroid

Banned
From what I understand, they went proprietary for security reasons. I don't fault them for that. Just decrease the price, idiots.

Well obviously it wasn't JUST for security reasons, otherwise they wouldn't have been ripping everyone off to begin with

Accessories have huge profit margins and these cards were treated as such

Luigi87

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that a bunch of PC games at Target that were on clearance, went final clearance yesterday (70% off).
Includes titles like Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn for $8.99, Mass Effect Trilogy for $11.99, BioShock Infinite for $11.99 (obv. been cheaper digital), StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (can't remember if $8.99 or $11.99) and some other stuff... and lots of Sims 3 stuff..

Roto13

The security thing is nonsense. They went proprietary so they could charge an arm and a leg for memory cards and pretend the Vita is cheaper than it actually is.

ohlawd

Well obviously it wasn't JUST for security reasons, otherwise they wouldn't have been ripping everyone off to begin with

Accessories have huge profit margins and these cards were treated as such
yeah if they actually manufacture these cards for pennies and then the fucking mark up, the dosh...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Granted, this probably speaks more to how shitty we have it, but I signed up for Google Play Music All Access and the service, the value proposition, is frankly unbelievable to me.

You just reminded me about this so I signed up. Seems really good so far, they seem to be missing some albums from some of my favourite artists, but I'm catching up on a lot of stuff I've missed over the last year or so.

Takuan

The security thing is nonsense. They went proprietary so they could charge an arm and a leg for memory cards and pretend the Vita is cheaper than it actually is.

That makes way more sense. Ah well, can't do anything about it. Sony gonna Sony.

RGM79

Shouldn't have too. You need to use the vpn to add the game to your cart but you switch the vpn off before paying. I see both games as "Coming out soon" in my library right now.
Yeah, I've just bought it using that method. Worked perfectly. Thanks again.

pestul

Any good sales on videocards R290/GTX770 4GB and above spotted online?

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the upgrade, but the price has to be decent <$450. Maybe it's just best I wait for the next refresh?

Returners

Hey guys, I'm looking at internet again. (Sorry to bring this up)

Between Electronic Box, CIK Tel, VMedia and Start, does anyone have any experience with those internets?

I'm sort of looking when Rogers Internet is so damn expensive and my friends say DSL sucks for Toronto Downtown.

Takuan

Between Electronic Box, CIK Tel, VMedia and Start, does anyone have any experience with those internets?

I'm sort of looking when Rogers Internet is so damn expensive and my friends say DSL sucks for Toronto Downtown.

Are you living in a condo? Sometimes there are building agreements where you get great rates. I'm on 35mbps/200GB for $45/month with Rogers and have since received follow-up offers for 35mbps/300GB. No contract, no additional fees.

How so? It's basically Rdio but with cloud storage and a $2/month discount if you sign up early. The cloud storage is nice if you don't keep your music on your phone, I guess. Unless there's something else I'm missing?

Signed up mostly to compare the experience and library with Rdio's. Rdio has a pretty good experience and a merely okay library so Google Play has some room to compete here, I think.

Lexxism

If anyone interested, you can get the Borderlands 2 bundle for $175 at thesource if you use the coupon code: TS942.

edit: Promo will end tomorrow May 7th.

i-Jest

If anyone interested, you can get the Borderlands 2 bundle for $175 at thesource if you use the coupon code: TS942.

Not bad. Enticing actually. I'm tempted but I've got my OG and there's no real good reason for me to buy the new Vita.

I'm using Start, in Hamilton though. They're awesome so far, but it's only been about 2 months.

$60/m for 50 down/10 up/300 gig cap

UberTag

Not bad. Enticing actually. I'm tempted but I've got my OG and there's no real good reason for me to buy the new Vita.
The new Vita is an improvement in every way over the original model.
I have no regrets about importing a white/lime system but I may have hedged had I known a $25 off promotion would be in play on launch week.
Phenomenal deal.

ohlawd

Geh that's a good deal. I spent 180 on my OG Vita. I don't wanna lose money tho so no selling it. If I could do 1 for 1 trade for the 2000 I'd do it.

dream

How so? It's basically Rdio but with cloud storage and a $2/month discount if you sign up early. The cloud storage is nice if you don't keep your music on your phone, I guess. Unless there's something else I'm missing?

Signed up mostly to compare the experience and library with Rdio's. Rdio has a pretty good experience and a merely okay library so Google Play has some room to compete here, I think.
I like the cloud storage a lot, but honestly, I've never tried Rdio, and finding out that I could listen to albums on demand was a revelation to me.

jzbluz

I wonder what are the chances that SDM will have the vita on Saturday. They're going to have a bonus redemption event over the weekend and I want to buy it then.

Yasumi

Banned

Crap, that's my breaking point. Guess I'll switch my 1000 over to JP account shenanigans and grab Japanese PS+ as well.

jholmes

I'm using Start, in Hamilton though. They're awesome so far, but it's only been about 2 months.

$60/m for 50 down/10 up/300 gig cap

I'm also on Start. Been with them a year. Only issue I had was when Cogeco went and cut my cable because my neighbour cancelled their service, but that's not really Start's mistake. I'd recommend them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still don't know why you'd pick a 2000 over 1000 though. Are there some magic Vita powers in the new model that I don't see? lol

ohlawd

I still don't know why you'd pick a 2000 over 1000 though. Are there some magic Vita powers in the new model that I don't see? lol
I don't need to try out the 2000 to know I'd be more comfortable with it than the OLED.

I hate my OLED :3
I dislike how the face buttons press, select and start buttons are tiny why did anyone approve of this and the system digs into my palms more than the OG 3DS did which was already horrendous.

I only put up with it cuz I'm a cheapass :(

Claimed improvements are better ergonomics and buttons, better battery life, slim and light, 1GB built in memory and micro USB instead of proprietary charging port!

I was this close to importing one of the Japanese cool colors but I'm still debating!

Edit: I hate the micro USB though, I love my charging dock and I'm not going to have two charging docks sitting beside each other!

I like the cloud storage a lot, but honestly, I've never tried Rdio, and finding out that I could listen to albums on demand was a revelation to me.

One thing in Google Play's favor so far: the album I bought a few days ago is in Google's streaming library (independent of the cloud storage, I mean) while Rdio doesn't even recognize the artist.

Yasumi

Banned

Mostly battery and ergonomics for travel. I'd love to bring my Vita out more often, but the system just looks and feels too nice to toss in a bag and lug around.

The 1000's for at-home play, where I can really appreciate the visuals, the 2000's for in-transit play, when I just want something to keep me occupied for a few minutes.

Vamphuntr

5cLRYZu.png

lol

Aw man i wanted a day one. Should've checked FS before i ordered my Titanfall bundle on BB yesterday.

Then order another one and return to BB when they deliver!
I just got a barely used Day One console off Kijiji for like $350 including Titanfall, a second controller and Charge and Play kit!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't need to try out the 2000 to know I'd be more comfortable with it than the OLED.

I hate my OLED :3
I dislike how the face buttons press, select and start buttons are tiny why did anyone approve of this and the system digs into my palms more than the OG 3DS did which was already horrendous.

I only put up with it cuz I'm a cheapass :(
I guess I never had a problem with playing the 1000, although the only games I actually finished were GR (my fifth ever Platinum) and P4G... but that's gotta be like 100+ hours of play time. Maybe my hands are Vita 1000 shaped. lol

Claimed improvements are better ergonomics and buttons, better battery life, slim and light, 1GB built in memory and micro USB instead of proprietary charging port!

I was this close to importing one of the Japanese cool colors but I'm still debating!

Edit: I hate the micro USB though, I love my charging dock and I'm not going to have two charging docks sitting beside each other!
Ah yes, using a normal USB port for charging/data is nice.

Mostly battery and ergonomics for travel. I'd love to bring my Vita out more often, but the system just looks and feels too nice to toss in a bag and lug around.

The 1000's for at-home play, where I can really appreciate the visuals, the 2000's for in-transit play, when I just want something to keep me occupied for a few minutes.
I only bring the 3DS out because it seems designed for portable play (the clamshell protects the screen by itself), but I guess I can appreciate that.

Maybe I should check out the 2000 sometime, assuming the big box stores put it out for display to see if it actually feels better to hold for me.

Then order another one and return to BB when they deliver!
I just got a barely used Day One console off Kijiji for like $350 including Titanfall, a second controller and Charge and Play kit!

Damn! That's one hell of a deal. I still am a little skeptical about buying consoles on Kijiji.

Google

I've never tried Rdio, and finding out that I could listen to albums on demand was a revelation to me.

Really?

Services like Spotify have been around for four years or more and have been free for as long as that.

Enjoy Google Music (it's my provider of choice as I agree with the other poster that their library seems a little bigger than the competition).

Damn! That's one hell of a deal. I still am a little skeptical about buying consoles on Kijiji.

Not really when you get the receipt with it in case you needed warranty and I've had for like 6 days now it's perfect. Also he only gave it to me for that price because the Xbone market is almost dead, brand new consoles for $400 were all over Kijiji when I was looking last week.
The guy was also switching to PS4 so he just wanted to get rid of it. I usually sell more than buy on Kijiji but this time I didn't wanna put more money in MS pocket lol

Top Bottom