• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

I went to my local Target and they'd already run out of Sims 3 stuff :( Shame. I would've liked to grab a few expansions to compliment my retail copy of the base game... (even if I have Steam...)

The store I work at, some guy who runs his own store (and honestly admitted to it) came in and literally bought our entire stock of PC games clearance. This all happened yesterday.

Oh man, I really wanted Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 for my Mac at that price. Oh well :(

Is Tomb Raider PS4 worth it for $40?

Already answered few times but if you haven't played it yet, absolutely.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want a Borderlands 2 Vita code? I'm asking for $25. I bought the Vita bundle but I don't want Borderlands 2. PM me if you're interested.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Tearaway is $25 @ Best Buy

Price matched at FS for a couple of dollars cheaper.

Sweet Ivy

Sorry for the OFF Topic guys, but I'm moving to Toronto come Fall and could use some pointers, thread's here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816493

BTW, plenty of PS4 on shelves here in Halifax now that is sits at 449.00CAD$, not sure it was such a smart move for Sony, I would have capitalized on the hype and aimed at growing my install base as much as possible.

For what it is worth, I did not like Uncharted 2/3 either but very much enjoyed Tomb Raider. Not exactly sure why but it is definitely the superior game.

No way, dude. Most people (myself included) consider Uncharted 2 superior to Tomb Raider. Uncharted 2 is collectively viewed as a contender for game of the generation. Obviously these are all opinions, but it's inaccurate to say Tomb Raider is "definitely the superior game".

zroid

Banned
Just to clarify, Mysterious stated earlier that he loved Uncharted 2 and 3; I think what he meant to say in the last post is that he didn't care for the multiplayer in those games, so its absence isn't an issue in Tomb Raider.

mdubs

Banned
Throwing in that I played Tomb Raider before I played the Uncharted series, and the gameplay in Uncharted was downright horrible after playing that. Didn't mind the games but Tomb Raider was so much better in the gameplay department.

Throwing in that I played Tomb Raider before I played the Uncharted series, and the gameplay in Uncharted was downright horrible after playing that. Didn't mind the games but Tomb Raider was so much better in the gameplay department.

"Downright horrible"? It's hard for me to even accept that as opinion...it's just inaccurate. Some of the comments in this thread are embarrassing to Canada.

UC2's only good part was Chloe's ass.

I'm glad you acknowledged opinions but seriously, opinions :p

Wow. Uhhh...I can officially say your opinion is bad if you disliked Uncharted 2 THAT much. You're clearly the one in the minority too considering Uncharted 2 has a 96 on Metacritic and (as mentioned) is heralded as one of the very best games of last generation.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the OFF Topic guys, but I'm moving to Toronto come Fall and could use some pointers, thread's here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816493

BTW, plenty of PS4 on shelves here in Halifax now that is sits at 449.00CAD$, not sure it was such a smart move for Sony, I would have capitalized on the hype and aimed at growing my install base as much as possible.
Find the Toronto thread in off topic community and come to our meet ups. And also join #teamwarm, Leafs GAF and want kraftwerk to kill kave_man.

You made a thread already but any follow up questions such as good burger places can be found in the thread.

For what it is worth, I did not like Uncharted 2/3 either but very much enjoyed Tomb Raider. Not exactly sure why but it is definitely the superior game.

I meant I didn't care for either multiplayer, loved those games. :p

Just to clarify, Mysterious stated earlier that he loved Uncharted 2 and 3; I think what he meant to say in the last post is that he didn't care for the multiplayer in those games, so its absence isn't an issue in Tomb Raider.

Yeah!

Indeed.

Some of us don't like the game, it's okay, you are still allowed to.

;_;

So it's not okay for me to be in the minority

;_;

It's obviously OK to have differing opinions but you're going to get called out when you say things such as the following about a game that is as widely acclaimed as Uncharted 2:

- "It is definitely the superior game" when describing Tomb Raider in comparison to Uncharted 2. There's nothing definite about it.
- "and the gameplay in Uncharted was downright horrible". Such a comment is downright ridiculous. You might not care for the game, but to describe the gameplay as horrible is silly.
- "UC2's only good part was Choe's ass". Again, ridiculous.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Uncharted 2 is overrated as fuck. At least Tomb Raider has actual exploration.

It's obviously OK to have differing opinions but you're going to get called out when you say things such as the following about a game that is as widely acclaimed as Uncharted 2:

- "It is definitely the superior game" when describing Tomb Raider in comparison to Uncharted 2. There's nothing definite about it.
It is very definite in my mind, which is what I use to make my posts and form my opinions.

My opinion is subjective, just as your opinion that since it has a higher Metacritic score than Tomb Raider makes it the better game. A Metacritic score is not objective.

mdubs

Banned

- "and the gameplay in Uncharted was downright horrible". Such a comment is downright ridiculous. You might not care for the game, but to describe the gameplay as horrible is silly.

It's fun to take quotes out of context to make some sort of point isn't it?

a916

Uncharted 2 is overrated as fuck. At least Tomb Raider has actual exploration.

Why would you be disappointed from lack of exploration from a game that wasn't trying to do it in the first place? You make it sound like they failed at that part when in fact they clearly went in a different direction....

Tuck

Tomb raider was alright, but it went way overboard with explosions during some scenes. Game gave me shell shock. I prefer uncharted, tomb raider felt like it was trying too hard.

Splinter Cell's Blacklist for $20 at FS. How is it?

http://www.futureshop.ca/Search/Sea...4beca91fe414314b86bb581f8en20&query=blacklist

Seems like a game to wait until PS+ tho :|

I thought it was a pretty good return to the older style of splinter cell mixed with some mechanics introduced in Conviction. Multilpayer was pretty fun but i imagine the community is dead now. I played it on PC so idk how the game preforms on console but it ran pretty well for me. My main issue with the game was getting used to the new guy who voices Sam and the uncanny valley on some of the characters

If your a fan of the previous games I think you'll like it especially since it's $20

It is very definite in my mind, which is what I use to make my posts and form my opinions.

My opinion is subjective, just as your opinion that since it has a higher Metacritic score than Tomb Raider makes it the better game. A Metacritic score is not objective.

That's fine. I just wouldn't personally be so bold to say something is "definitely the superior game". That comes across as an attempt to make an objective statement. I'd say that I definitely liked it better.

It's fun to take quotes out of context to make some sort of point isn't it?

Your context doesn't change anything. That you thought Uncharted had "downright horrible" gameplay in relation to Tomb Raider isn't relevant. Downright horrible is downright horrible...which is a ridiculous way to describe Uncharted 2.

ohlawd

shiet just make a thread or PM us :p I'll gladly post in your thread if you do make it.

Not running away from this. Don't want to clog up the thread with this stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
Well shit...looks like my OG Fat backcompat PS3 finally died tonight... So what's the cheapest I can get a PS3 nowadays? Looks like it's 200$ for the 12gb model (which I don't care since I have my own HDD)...

That sucks. I kinda want to have a working PS3 but at the same time the generation is over so it's not really essential.

zroid

Banned
Well shit...looks like my OG Fat backcompat PS3 finally died tonight... So what's the cheapest I can get a PS3 nowadays? Looks like it's 200$ for the 12gb model (which I don't care since I have my own HDD)...

That sucks. I kinda want to have a working PS3 but at the same time the generation is over so it's not really essential.

my condolences, bro... same situation here last month. seems like the remaining backwards compatibles are dropping like flies in 2014 :(

I got a 250GB Uncharted 3 bundle for $250 at Shoppers to replace mine. might have gone with the 12GB and used the hard drive from my old PS3, but I decided I may as well drop the extra 50 bucks for a bigger hard drive, which I kinda needed anyway. Plus now I'm using the old 80GB drive as an external for my Wii U, something I also needed, lol.

I think you can get 12GBs at costco for slightly under $200... something like $190-195 probably. of course if you can find one at Shoppers that might be the best way to get a discount.

ohlawd

my condolences, bro... same situation here last month. seems like the remaining backwards compatibles are dropping like flies in 2014 :(

I got a 250GB Uncharted 3 bundle for $250 at Shoppers to replace mine. might have gone with the 12GB and used the hard drive from my old PS3, but I decided I may as well drop the extra 50 bucks for a bigger hard drive, which I kinda needed anyway. Plus now I'm using the old 80GB drive as an external for my Wii U, something I also needed, lol.
did you lose all your save files? D:

zroid

Banned
I just realized that my GT6 disc is stuck in there too....god dammit...

hahahah oh man you don't even want me to get into the shit I had to go through to get the disc out...

worse it was a movie I had borrowed from the library and I had like 3 days left from the time the PS3 died before it was due D:

apparently slightly newer models had a mechanism built in to eject the discs without opening up the systems, but the BC models didn't

iLLmAtlc

I just realized that my GT6 disc is stuck in there too....god dammit...

It's possible to open it up to get your disc back but it's probably not worth the trouble for the 40 bucks or whatever lol.

Doing it isn't so hard but you also have to put the gears back into the correct position so it accepts discs again (assuming if you want to fix the YLOD).

mdubs

Banned
Your context doesn't change anything. That you thought Uncharted had "downright horrible" gameplay in relation to Tomb Raider isn't relevant. Downright horrible is downright horrible...which is a ridiculous way to describe Uncharted 2.

Actually yes it is relevant because Tomb Raider's gameplay completely outclasses Uncharted (especially the first one), making it feel downright horrible in comparison and I stand by that. Uncharted also happens to be quite good compared to other series, so take whatever you want from this.

Anyways feel free to enjoy Uncharted 2, you're really not going to change anyone's opinion.

Megasoum

Banned
Looks like you can heat up the PS3 with a hair dryer to get it working for a little while (the equivalent of the towel trick with the 360). Won't fix the issue but it could boot long enough to eject the disc. The thing is, I'm a single dude living alone in an appartment, I don't think I've seen a hair dryer in like 10 years lol.

-Deimos

Looks like you can heat up the PS3 with a hair dryer to get it working for a little while (the equivalent of the towel trick with the 360). Won't fix the issue but it could boot long enough to eject the disc. The thing is, I'm a single dude living alone in an appartment, I don't think I've seen a hair dryer in like 10 years lol.

YLOD? It's not too difficult to open it up and use a heatgun to fix it. I got a heatgun at candian tire for $20 and managed to fix my old phat PS3. Though the chances of it getting the YLOD is pretty high.

Megasoum

Banned
YLOD? It's not too difficult to open it up and use a heatgun to fix it. I got a heatgun at candian tire for $20 and managed to fix my old phat PS3. Though the chances of it getting the YLOD is pretty high.

Yeah at this point I think I'll just hope for a pricedrop announced at E3 (seems likely) and go from there... Just sucks that I lost my GT6 too.

Quick

Banned
I was able to quickly eject my disc when my old phat PS3 YLOD'd.

I mashed the eject button the moment it switched on. Took a couple of tries.

Top Bottom