• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

zroid

Banned
What's the cheapest the 4gb Xbox has gone? Might try to get one in the future.

I think it was like $100 with a $20 gift card at Target for boxing day

I wanted to get one, but I was too lazy to go all the way to the nearest Target... (a 20 minute drive each way)

What are your experiences with BestBuy preorder shipping time in the Montreal area?

I preordered Mario Kart 8 with the 15% off promotion but I forgot its release date is a Saturday. BestBuy claims they will ship on the 30th, but I doubt it will arrive that day and Canada Post does not deliver mail on weekends.

Should I cancel my online preorder and go in store if I want to get it Saturday?

Lexxism

What are your experiences with BestBuy preorder shipping time in the Montreal area?

I preordered Mario Kart 8 with the 15% off promotion but I forgot its release date is a Saturday. BestBuy claims they will ship on the 30th, but I doubt it will arrive that day and Canada Post does not deliver mail on weekends.

Should I cancel my online preorder and go in store if I want to get it Saturday?

The release date is on Friday May 30th. If by any chance you won't have any shot of getting the order on Friday, you can just buy one in-store(don't cancel the online order) and then return the copy you will get online by using the receipt you got in-store.

That's what I will be doing if Canada Post will be messing with my copy.

Dorygrant

Does anyone know how long the refurbished Wii U from Nintendo takes?

I ordered it last Thursday and it still just says "Submitted" :(

I live in Toronto if that helps estimates.

Luigi87

Any idea what the canadian price for the new xbox one will be? $399? $449?

Likely one or the other. It really puts Microsoft in an interesting position. Logically they should price it at $449.99 so they and retailers aren't taking the financial hit due to the exchange rate, but if they priced it at $399.99, it would give them more opportunity to start selling more units in Canada, and thus build a stronger foundation of XONE units here down the road. Of course whether or not the pay off would be entirely worth it, I'm not one who has any idea.

The real question to me is whether Sony will decide to drop the PS4 back to $399 to match.

This as well.

Any idea what the canadian price for the new xbox one will be? $399? $449?

I don't think anyone knows for sure but the Microsoft release says "in all markets" when referring to the $399 price. The only fine print says $399 is a suggested retail price; "actual prices will vary by market and retailer." That said, there's no mention of the price in European currencies, so it's not obvious what the actual scope of that specific announcement is supposed to be.

I don't really expect Microsoft to set the price at $449 because a) they never raised the price of the XB1 to $549 before, and b) setting it at $449 now would represent only a $50 price drop. The real question to me is whether Sony will decide to drop the PS4 back to $399 to match.

jet1911

Kinda off topic but man do I love Kijiji. I sold my 3DSXL and 5 games in less than an hour lol. Looks like it'll pay for half of my new Xbox One in june haha.

I hope they release the XBone for $399 here in Canada. Really interested in a few XBone games and $399 is a good price for it... Also I don't actually have room for the Kinect, but I do for the console itself so it kinda works out.

RE_Player

How on Earth can Sony keep the $450 price point for PS4 when Xbox One will now have a $399 sku? I don't expect an immediate reaction but come holiday they can't be $50 more.

ohlawd

I hope they release the XBone for $399 here in Canada. Really interested in a few XBone games and $399 is a good price for it... Also I don't actually have room for the Kinect, but I do for the console itself so it kinda works out.

lol the Best Buy post right above you has it up for 400.

Don't worry.

sadly in the next couple of months the price is gonna get bumped up i think :(

I don't really think so, if they wanted that they would have used the price drop or the new bundle to introduce the higher price, Sony has the new price for a couple months now, MS had enough time to do it if they ever intended to!

ohlawd

yo chrono, post here when Shinovi Versus shows up on ebgames or amazon.

Canada is always fucking late for this shit. Took ages for Atelier Escha's preorder pages to go up >_>

Vibranium

Banned
How on Earth can Sony keep the $450 price point for PS4 when Xbox One will now have a $399 sku? I don't expect an immediate reaction but come holiday they can't be $50 more.

Yeah, I'd expect that $50 to be knocked off the PS4 within 6 months, don't quote me on that though. Hopefully Microsoft does really well so Sony has to act, competition is good and will help us through the "hike period".

chrono01

yo chrono, post here when Shinovi Versus shows up on ebgames or amazon.

Canada is always fucking late for this shit. Took ages for Atelier Escha's preorder pages to go up >_>
Will do.

I check all of the major sites multiple times daily, mostly EBGames/Amazon, so if I see it become available, I'll definitely post it here.

But yeah, waiting for things such as this can be hell, especially when I'm concerned that it might be a more..."limited" release than other titles.

2013 is the year of PS4 and 2014 seems to be year of the X1 so far.

Microsoft making all the right moves just like Sony did last year. With that $399 CAD, I think they just put Sony in a tough spot now and those X1's will fly of shelves if it indeed is $50 cheaper than PS4.

Dazzler

Anyone have any idea if my White European 3DS XL Ambassador Unit would be worth selling on Craigslist or Kijiji?

I never use it and need some cash money. Would I be able to charge a premium as it's a rare model in Canada?

I'm based in Vancouver FYI

Anyone have any idea if my White European 3DS XL Ambassador Unit would be worth selling on Craigslist or Kijiji?

I never use it and need some cash money. Would I be able to charge a premium as it's a rare model in Canada?

Vancouver is notoriously cheap. EBay is better.

The release date is on Friday May 30th. If by any chance you won't have any shot of getting the order on Friday, you can just buy one in-store(don't cancel the online order) and then return the copy you will get online by using the receipt you got in-store.

That's what I will be doing if Canada Post will be messing with my copy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think of that.

I'll definitely do that if I don't receive it by Friday.

Does anyone know how long the refurbished Wii U from Nintendo takes?

I ordered it last Thursday and it still just says "Submitted" :(

I live in Toronto if that helps estimates.

I ordered mine on April 26.
Got my shipping confirmation the 28th.
Received on May 5th.

Anony

i would say no, european model is worthless since there's no good region locked exclusives

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys update to MGSV Ground Zeroes at UBC Staples. I picked up a ps3 copy but the associate told me the xbox was sold out, not sure if he meant 360 or X1, I assume X1. He dud not say ps3 was sold out tho.

They also had some other games on clearance for 20 like bf4 and batman ao

CKB3375

That $399 Xbox One price tag will make games like Quantum Break, Halo, Forza Horizon, etc hard to resist but personally I'm still holding out for the inevitable (?) white version/revision.

Zing

Banned
2013 is the year of PS4 and 2014 seems to be year of the X1 so far.

Microsoft making all the right moves just like Sony did last year. With that $399 CAD, I think they just put Sony in a tough spot now and those X1's will fly of shelves if it indeed is $50 cheaper than PS4.
This is bizarre. You suggest that price alone is keeping the Xbox on the shelf?

In North America, I'd say so. If they X1 didn't have such a major U-turn last year and the $100 extra price for an under powered console, things would have been much between in NA.

I can't say the same for the rest of the world though since it is usually Sony's territory.

big_z

The price was a major hurdle. The titanfall bundles and forza offer helped move more Xbox than ps4 since the price increase. Now with the price drop Sony is in a tight spot, especially if Microsoft continues to offer forza with purchase.

The first year largely road on 3rd party games and with the ps4 being cheaper it was the better choice to the average consumer. Now that advantage is gone. Exclusives later this year will be a huge factor and who knows what e3 will bring but right now Microsoft seems to be better off. If they do the two free game holiday bundle as well they'll be moving a ton of units this year.

Returners

I have a feeling for Canada Sony would do a pack-in now at 449. Dropping the price back to 399 will piss off people who bought it at 449.

MS is doing what Sony did last-gen. Arrogant at doing well in the previous gen, they offered a more expensive product with more features without the software lineup to match. Of course the general public looks at price and games. With low sales, they had to do something drastic.

Lothars

The price was a major hurdle. The titanfall bundles and forza offer helped move more Xbox than ps4 since the price increase. Now with the price drop Sony is in a tight spot, especially if Microsoft continues to offer forza with purchase.

The first year largely road on 3rd party games and with the ps4 being cheaper it was the better choice to the average consumer. Now that advantage is gone. Exclusives later this year will be a huge factor and who knows what e3 will bring but right now Microsoft seems to be better off. If they do the two free game holiday bundle as well they'll be moving a ton of units this year.
price is the least of microsoft worries. They barely sold at 449 with titanfall. They need to announce better software and until they do that this price drop won't make much difference.

big_z

price is the least of microsoft worries. They barely sold at 449 with titanfall. They need to announce better software and until they do that this price drop won't make much difference.

I'm talking about in canada where sales of ps4 slowed when the price increased and xbox overtook as a result of the bundle. The price tag does make a difference because right now both boxes are largely offering the same games so the price becomes a factor to casual consumers.

Top Bottom