• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

flkraven

Need some advice. Has anyone gone through the Aliexpress.com dispute resolution process before?

I feel as if I'm about to be scammed, so I am preparing myself. I bought an android box from there a week or 2 ago, and after purchase I had sent a few messages to the seller about the delivery. I never received a response, and all told I had sent 5 messages directly on the sale item and 5 messages through PM to the seller. Nothing.

2 days ago the seller typed this message to me:

"Hello friends. Recent temporary post office parcel backlog, delays display tracking number. Please be assured that the product has been sent. We give you $ 5 compensation as compensation for the delayed arrival of goods. Please submit disputes. Partial refund. Thank you!"

Ok. So the item is delayed and I will get a $5 refund. Sounds innocent enough until my scam radar goes off. I did nothing these past two days, and this guy has sent me 2 more messages since:

"Friends. Goods have been sent, it may be delayed to arrive. Please submit the dispute in a timely manner, we give you compensation. Thank you!"

"Hello, please submit a dispute, we give you a refund promptly compensated. Thank you!"

Now I am left thinking:

a) He never responded to my constant messages over a 2 week period.
b) Suddenly now he is concerned with customer service about a separate issue and is spamming me back.

I think he is trying to get me to open the dispute, give me $5, close the dispute, and now I am scammed out of the rest of my money since I can no longer open a new dispute. Am I wrong in this thinking?

iLLmAtlc

Need some advice. Has anyone gone through the Aliexpress.com dispute resolution process before?

I feel as if I'm about to be scammed, so I am preparing myself. I bought an android box from there a week or 2 ago, and after purchase I had sent a few messages to the seller about the delivery. I never received a response, and all told I had sent 5 messages directly on the sale item and 5 messages through PM to the seller. Nothing.

2 days ago the seller typed this message to me:

"Hello friends. Recent temporary post office parcel backlog, delays display tracking number. Please be assured that the product has been sent. We give you $ 5 compensation as compensation for the delayed arrival of goods. Please submit disputes. Partial refund. Thank you!"

Ok. So the item is delayed and I will get a $5 refund. Sounds innocent enough until my scam radar goes off. I did nothing these past two days, and this guy has sent me 2 more messages since:

"Friends. Goods have been sent, it may be delayed to arrive. Please submit the dispute in a timely manner, we give you compensation. Thank you!"

"Hello, please submit a dispute, we give you a refund promptly compensated. Thank you!"

Now I am left thinking:

a) He never responded to my constant messages over a 2 week period.
b) Suddenly now he is concerned with customer service about a separate issue and is spamming me back.

I think he is trying to get me to open the dispute, give me $5, close the dispute, and now I am scammed out of the rest of my money since I can no longer open a new dispute. Am I wrong in this thinking?

I never heard of this site before.

As long as you make very clear in your dispute that you have not received your item and you are requesting a refund for the full purchase price I can't see you getting 5 dollars and having your complaint closed.

http://www.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection/index.html

You've already contacted the seller so it's time to move onto step 2 as long as you meet the terms:

http://help.aliexpress.com/make_refund_request.html

That sounds like your dispute would be going to AliExpress and not just the seller. So again, just make sure you're asking for full refund.

Either way you're kinda behind the 8 ball at this point, if that really is a scammer AliExpress really has no leverage against them (i.e. scammer could just disappear and not worry about having store banned). However, AliExpress did say something about price protection so maybe you can get money from them.

Well shit...looks like my OG Fat backcompat PS3 finally died tonight... So what's the cheapest I can get a PS3 nowadays? Looks like it's 200$ for the 12gb model (which I don't care since I have my own HDD)...

That sucks. I kinda want to have a working PS3 but at the same time the generation is over so it's not really essential.

Oh man I feel for you. My 60GB PS3 literally died last Monday while I was watching Jojo Part 3 on DLNA in my other room. Everytime I send it to a local store to fix it ($50 bucks) it breaks after 8 months every single time. This is probably the 4th or 5th time it's broken as well, so I'm also gonna wait after E3 since it looks like another price drop is likely coming.

I got the white 500GB PS+ PS3 last year when it broke last year and the white Super Slims's were still around. I got a year of PS+ out of it. Thing is that well, it's small and space is an issue for me so that's good, but it looks and feels cheap and it has a top disc loader thing that feels almost... Archaic? Nostalgic? It feels like I own a PS1 again, but at least I can take the disc out without turning on the system like with the 60GB PS3. If all that stuff matters to you you can probably still find a Slim PS3 lying around in some stores as opposed to the Super Slim's

yEmO92M.jpg

zroid

Banned
after the hijinks I went through to get the disc out of my PS3, I will never bemoan mechanically-opened disc drives again

Returners

The slims have a mechanical way of removing the discs.

The OG phat though, the times I sent it to Sony just to get the disc out (and also Singstar songs)

i-Jest

Maybe they'll announce one more redesign but with backwards compatibility this time ;)

laughter.gif

Even though you're joking, that's right up there with people asking about Vita memory card sales.

It is funny but apart of me does want it to happen. A very small part of course. Sony won't spend the money on one last redesign WITH backwards compatibility, especially when PS Now is somewhere around the corner.

jackharm

Neo Member
All this talk about OG PS3's breaking makes me feel scared for this 60GB (got to love that backwards compatibility) I got off craigslist a few months ago.

So far it has been a swell machine and running well even before I decided to give it a deep cleanse and upgrade the 60GB HDD to a 240GB SSD (had a spare).

I do baby it though. . . :#)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I got the white 500GB PS+ PS3 last year when it broke last year and the white Super Slims's were still around. I got a year of PS+ out of it. Thing is that well, it's small and space is an issue for me so that's good, but it looks and feels cheap and it has a top disc loader thing that feels almost... Archaic? Nostalgic? It feels like I own a PS1 again, but at least I can take the disc out without turning on the system like with the 60GB PS3. If all that stuff matters to you you can probably still find a Slim PS3 lying around in some stores as opposed to the Super Slim's

yEmO92M.jpg

no way, I LOVE the white super slim! Looks slick and much prefer a top loader over a disc-suck in drive or whatever they are called. The black super slim looks so cheap, and I went out of my way to find the white in my city and paid a bit more to get it and I don't regret it even a bit! you (an me) have the best model/color combo of the PS3 in my opinion :)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Nice, if you still have it open you should youtube how to move the gears back to the correct position and it'll be as good as new if you ever fix the YLOD

Wait, really? I have the same problem, but I took it apart and tried to fix it without luck. The disk just won't spin.
Do you have a link to a video to see exactly what I need to fiddle with? I searched last time I tried this but came up with nothing.

iLLmAtlc

Wait, really? I have the same problem, but I took it apart and tried to fix it without luck. The disk just won't spin.
Do you have a link to a video to see exactly what I need to fiddle with? I searched last time I tried this but came up with nothing.

It's been a few years since I've done mine so I can't find that video. However, I took a quick glance and this one seems helpful:

http://youtu.be/a3DHKWPQ7J4

I searched ps3 blu ray gears and found a bunch

E: the video shows you how to make the drive accept discs again, I wasn't sure if ther was your problem after reading your post again

Megasoum

Banned
Nice, if you still have it open you should youtube how to move the gears back to the correct position and it'll be as good as new if you ever fix the YLOD

Yeah.... I think it's busted now. It was working fine btw. it's the PS3 that is YLOD and I never planned on fixing it so I got my disc and my HDD. I'll try to find a cheap PS3 eventually.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
It's been a few years since I've done mine so I can't find that video. However, I took a quick glance and this one seems helpful:

http://youtu.be/a3DHKWPQ7J4

I searched ps3 blu ray gears and found a bunch

E: the video shows you how to make the drive accept discs again, I wasn't sure if ther was your problem after reading your post again

I'll give it a try. My issue is it doesn't accept disks all the time, but even when it does, it won't spin. Just sucks it up and sits there until I eject.

no way, I LOVE the white super slim! Looks slick and much prefer a top loader over a disc-suck in drive or whatever they are called. The black super slim looks so cheap, and I went out of my way to find the white in my city and paid a bit more to get it and I don't regret it even a bit! you (an me) have the best model/color combo of the PS3 in my opinion :)

I was so happy that I got the last one at my local Futureshop as well. I agree that the black Super Slim's don't look as good as the white one's though, in the same way I think the white Vita is the best colour for the Vita... As someone who has a white Vita. I like my limited edition consoles. I'm actually really tempted to go out and get a limited edition PS4 if one looks nice enough, you know, to use as a fancy blu-ray player that also plays games in the other room, even though I already own a launch PS4.

Ji18l0g.jpg

I really hope they announce a special Smash Bros 4 3DS XL during E3, cause this OG Zelda 3DS is a bit too small for me.

i-Jest

All this talk about OG PS3's breaking makes me feel scared for this 60GB (got to love that backwards compatibility) I got off craigslist a few months ago.

So far it has been a swell machine and running well even before I decided to give it a deep cleanse and upgrade the 60GB HDD to a 240GB SSD (had a spare).

I do baby it though. . . :#)

What kind of screw driver do you use to get the drive out of the PS3? I've got a 500GB HD I've been meaning to put in but don't know what screw driver to use.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What kind of screw driver do you use to get the drive out of the PS3? I've got a 500GB HD I've been meaning to put in but don't know what screw driver to use.
It's a philips head screw. The only problem is that the screw will strip really fast, so you will want to use a properly sized screwdriver or be as gentle as possible. Not only is the screw easy to strip, but they are literally impossible to find (I tried all the major hardware chain stores in Toronto). Right now, I don't have it screwed in on my PS3... but I also keep it horizontal so there's no danger of movement.

(People sell the screw on ebay, but it's like 10 bucks. No thanks).

i-Jest

It's a philips head screw. The only problem is that the screw will strip really fast, so you will want to use a properly sized screwdriver or be as gentle as possible. Not only is the screw easy to strip, but they are literally impossible to find (I tried all the major hardware chain stores in Toronto). Right now, I don't have it screwed in on my PS3... but I also keep it horizontal so there's no danger of movement.

(People sell the screw on ebay, but it's like 10 bucks. No thanks).

What size screw driver would I need to get the screw out? I imagine sizes vary.

What size screw driver would I need to get the screw out? I imagine sizes vary.

If you don't own a screwdriver set, you definitely need to go buy a screwdriver set. Any set with Phillips, flat head, and Robertson(the square) will at least have #1,2,3 of the sizes which covers damn near everything.

Cheerilee

If you don't own a screwdriver set, you definitely need to go buy a screwdriver set. Any set with Phillips, flat head, and Robertson(the square) will at least have #1,2,3 of the sizes which covers damn near everything.

If you're going to buy your first screwdrivers, I suggest getting a Picquic multi-driver.

It's pretty high quality, it'll take care of all the most common sizes (two flats, two Phillips, and three Robertson) right off the bat, and it's cheaper than even a low-quality screwdriver set (less material). It uses standardized 1/4 inch screwdriver bits, which means that you can replace individual pieces when they get worn out, or you can buy a set of bits and have more screwdriver types than you would ever need. And the bits can even be loaded into a power drill, for those times when your task is too great for human hands (although that wrecks the bits faster, but it's nice to have the option).

i-Jest

I've got screw drivers but none of them fit the screw that holds the slot in place.

If you're going to buy your first screwdrivers, I suggest getting a Picquic multi-driver.

It's pretty high quality, it'll take care of all the most common sizes (two flats, two Phillips, and three Robertson) right off the bat, and it's cheaper than even a low-quality screwdriver set (less material). It uses standardized 1/4 inch screwdriver bits, which means that you can replace individual pieces when they get worn out, or you can buy a set of bits and have more screwdriver types than you would ever need. And the bits can even be loaded into a power drill, for those times when your task is too great for human hands (although that wrecks the bits faster, but it's nice to have the option).

So long as it can unscrews the screw so I can replace the drive I'll take it.

Sora_N

Staples clearance got me again

Ground zeroes on ps3 and 4 $20. My first retail ps4 game lol.

Also saw PS3 Black Ops 2 $10
WiiU basic $199

ohlawd

How does your guys' Staples handle games?

dunno if it's normal but mine don't have game cases out. Just washed out pictures of the covers on flimsy plastic.

Sora_N

How does your guys' Staples handle games?

dunno if it's normal but mine don't have game cases out. Just washed out pictures of the covers on flimsy plastic.

Yes same for mine.

I bought the last one tho. This staples is near my school and I have late classes. I usually take a peek once in a while.

I guess less people buy games now. Surprised they had it haha

ohlawd

next time you guys post a deal from Staples and it's something I want, I'll check mine out.

If there's no deal, I'm not gonna bother going back there ever never ever again.

Top Bottom