• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Did anyone else notice that PSN has Wolfenstein PS4 on sale for 60 dollars next week? They also have it discounted to 54 dollars for plus members. Strange since I assumed that all new releases are now 70 bones.

Endy MacK

Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but can a fellow Canadian confirm if there is no tax on WiiU digital purchases (like on PSN)? Thanks!

Ondore

There's tax on WiiU/3DS purchases. Recommendation: Set your eShop province to Alberta (different from your Mii in profile) to minimize it since they only have 5%.

I have $40 in PSN credit (in cards) that I think I may try and switch to $40 of eShop credit for MK8.

Would I have any problems doing that in the B/S/T thread? I don't know how Canadian codes/credit exchanges with US codes/credit.

Lexxism

I have $40 in PSN credit (in cards) that I think I may try and switch to $40 of eShop credit for MK8.

Would I have any problems doing that in the B/S/T thread? I don't know how Canadian codes/credit exchanges with US codes/credit.

Yeah since prepaid cards are country-lock. The cards with have here in Canada both PSN and eshop can only work for Canada and same with the US.

There's tax on WiiU/3DS purchases. Recommendation: Set your eShop province to Alberta (different from your Mii in profile) to minimize it since they only have 5%.

I'm sure every 3DS owner "lives in Alberta" for eshop purposes heh. But yes, that's definitely the way to go if anyone hasn't done that yet.

UberTag

Did anyone else notice that PSN has Wolfenstein PS4 on sale for 60 dollars next week? They also have it discounted to 54 dollars for plus members. Strange since I assumed that all new releases are now 70 bones.
Being able to play Wolfenstein: The New Order at launch for $53.99 instead of almost $80 ($69.99 plus tax for a retail copy) will make a lot of people contemplate going digital for that one instead of the trade-in route.

Being able to play Wolfenstein: The New Order at launch for $53.99 instead of almost $80 ($69.99 plus tax for a retail copy) will make a lot of people contemplate going digital for that one instead of the trade-in route.

Did for me. 53.99 plus no tax is like a $25 savings in BC

dream

I want to agree with you (and I definitely want to get the game for $53.99), but the ~50 gig download seems incredibly problematic--particularly with Canadian ISPs.

dream

Caps too. Looking at the discount between buying a game digitally vs. buying a retail copy, then trying to figure out if the amount you save will compensate for going over your bandwidth cap is no way to live.

Zing

Banned
Where do you live that you have bandwidth cap?

I mean, I have one with teksavvy but it's 300GB and downloading off peak time doesn't count toward the cap. I saw that several third party Rogers resellers follow this same policy.

Zing

Banned
EB has game days going on right now till June 1st

http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/landing/flyer/2014/game-days/

Nothing really standing out to me ATM. Maybe XCOM for 10 bucks.
I'm sorry, but their huge banner ad proclaiming "XBOX ONE GUARANTEED IN STOCK" made me chuckle.

On another note, I didn't realize so many older games were rehashed on Xbox and PS4. Rayman legends, Lego marvel? Seriously? These developers simply must have something better to do than this.

UberTag

Not sure if this rates as a spectacular deal or not (it's still overpriced by Android Tablet standards) but seeing how it is on sale and does play games, I'll pass it along.

Both Best Buy and Future Shop have the new Samsung 8.4" 16GB Galaxy Tab Pro marked down to $349 this week (regular price is $419).
I snapped one up at that price. Picked up a 64GB MicroSD card to go along with it.

KarmaCow

Anyone remember if stuff like controllers were on sale during all the E3 stuff? I want to pick up a PS4 controller but I'm not sure if I should wait.

Also, anyone have any experience trying to bring in a picture of a rewardzone gift certificate to Best Buy instead of printing it? My printer is out of ink and I really don't want to buy more just for this right now. They can just input the code right?

zroid

Banned
Speaking of reward zone certificates, I have one expiring soon and nothing to buy. Can I buy a prepaid card with it?

yep that's what I always use mine on

alternatively you can buy anything else and return it -- you'll get the value of the certificate refunded on a gift card

Lexxism

Why would they have to be clueless for the 10% part?That part is still policy.

Well, based on them. If you PM an item with shipping fee, they will match the price and add the cost of the shipping. Since they add the shipping fee, you're not eligible anymore with price beat (10% difference).

ohlawd

Also, anyone have any experience trying to bring in a picture of a rewardzone gift certificate to Best Buy instead of printing it? My printer is out of ink and I really don't want to buy more just for this right now. They can just input the code right?
yeah that should be ok. I had one before with faded bars so the scan thing didn't work so they punched in the code instead.

Rbk_3

Yeah since prepaid cards are country-lock. The cards with have here in Canada both PSN and eshop can only work for Canada and same with the US.

I don't know about PSN currency, but I was able to transfer a 1 year plus code to an American friend. I was able to grab a bunch when Walmart had that price error.

Lexxism

I don't know about PSN currency, but I was able to transfer a 1 year plus code to an American friend. I was able to grab a bunch when Walmart had that price error.

For PS+, yes. US, Canada and Mexico all share the same PS+ but not with PSN card. I bought one from US during black friday last year.

For PS+, yes. US, Canada and Mexico all share the same PS+ but not with PSN card. I bought one from US during black friday last year.

You can buy PS+ or PSN game codes through Amazon US or any US retailer but not currency, I bought games and PS+ and both worked just fine!

Ricker

I have asked this a few times...does anyone know for sure if a save from a game,like Thief,that I physically rented,will work if I get the digital download of the game...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
so since I've seen Canadian retailers advertising the new Xbox One without Kinect at $399, does that mean Sony will bring the PS4 back down to a reasonable $399 or are they seriously gonna leave it where it is???

i-Jest

I have asked this a few times...does anyone know for sure if a save from a game,like Thief,that I physically rented,will work if I get the digital download of the game...

I don't see why not. It's still the same game running on the same hardware. My saved data for Infamous worked with both the physical and digital downloaded version.

So Gamestreet's have this 20% off thing on used games:

save20.jpg

Razdek

Banned
Holy shit are all games going up to $70? I thought that was just Sony first party games getting that bump. What a rip off this generation is going to be.

FluxWaveZ

Holy shit are all games going up to $70? I thought that was just Sony first party games getting that bump. What a rip off this generation is going to be.

Yep. One game I'm looking to get day 1 is Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, whose pre-orders opened up yesterday. Amazon and VG Plus have it for $59.99, but wanting to get it asap, I'll probably have to resign myself to GameStop, which has it for $69.99.

It shouldn't last the entire generation, though.

Top Bottom