• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

My local Super Store has the Sony Gold Wireless headset on for $49.94. Anyone used these? More specifically, anyone used these with a XBONE? I don't have a PS4 yet.

I have them and they are really good, I rarely play without them now!
$50 is insane though, you shouldn't even think just grab one before hoarders get there!

Dr.brain64

I am almost as excited for the FS and BB preorder deals than e3 itself !!!! Let's hope there'll be one this time considering both lose quite a bit of money per preorder (specially now). I preordered over 10 last year

Chatin

I had preordered over 20 games. In many cases, it makes the difference between me buying some of these games or not, so in the long run they could be selling enough copies at a lower price to make up the more limited sales at the full price.

You also get roped into sticking with preorders that you might have cancelled if it was standalone and you found yourself less hyped as the day arrived.

I just scanned through the current pre-order lists at Future Shop, and wow. I'm not sure there's much for me to pre-order this year. The Vita list is abysmal, the 3DS list isn't too hot either, and I have most of the games for Wii U and PS4 pre-ordered already (from last E3 at $39.99 thank goodness). PS3 Xillia 2 is tempting except it's SEVENTY DOLLARS so fuck them, even if they do put it on discount. VGP or Amazon for that one.

Obviously none of the E3 announcements are up on the site, so I could very well have something to pre-order by the time the promo rolls around. And obviously if FS puts up all the Persona games slated for this/next year, my wallet will cry.

I still have Infamous unopened. lol

But the fact that it's 70+ bucks is enough for me to keep it.

Same thing here, I still have the game in the package that Future Shop shipped it to me, haven't got to unpack it yet. Just having a hard time to sit and play a game at the moment with work and all.

As you states, the fact that it retails for $70 is good enough for me to keep it.

i-Jest

I'll be stocking up on Nintendo games for sure IF I can get them cheaper. Maybe i'll preorder ps3/4 titles but Nintendo games are looking more likely for me atm.

Tagg9

I'll be stocking up on Nintendo games for sure IF I can get them cheaper. Maybe i'll preorder ps3/4 titles but Nintendo games are looking more likely for me atm.

Let's just hope they announce some games at E3... the rest of the year is pretty barren right now for Wii U and 3DS.

I just noticed that inFamous: Second Son is on sale at Best Buy for $49.99

10279172.jpg

Ondore

I've got 11 games I want to preorder, though two of them are Vita games so I'll end up going digital on them (Danganronpa 2 and P4: Dancing All Night). Definitely hoping they all show up June 10 or thereabouts. (One of them I may have volunteered to preorder three copies of for a guild I'm in...)

mdubs

Banned
My local Super Store has the Sony Gold Wireless headset on for $49.94. Anyone used these? More specifically, anyone used these with a XBONE? I don't have a PS4 yet.

I like them, comfy with pretty good sound quality to my untrained ears. I'm using it with Xbox One with the headset adapter, it works pretty much like plugging it in to any other device. No surround sound though unless using it with Playstation.

Fuuuuck me. I bought a Vita 1000 at Walmart, was going to return it and get the slim but I just found out they have a 14 day return policy on video game consoles/handhelds. I always thought it was the same as FS/BB 30 day policy. Should I try returning it anyway or not even bother?

RE_Player

Fuuuuck me. I bought a Vita 1000 at Walmart, was going to return it and get the slim but I just found out they have a 14 day return policy on video game consoles/handhelds. I always thought it was the same as FS/BB 30 day policy. Should I try returning it anyway or not even bother?
How many days has it been?

How many days has it been?

Just try it, tell them you want to buy a 2000 (and maybe buy it from them so they'll let you exchange it?)

Doesn't work, at least the one close to mine. A friend of mine bought an Xbox One, it has been like 17 days and they announced the Titanfall bundle and he couldn't switch. Not to mention he had an issue with his HDMI port like I do, it is either a hit or miss and they said he has to get in touch with Microsoft to get that fixed.

If anyone is looking for a rechargeable batteries, dell has the Panasonic Eneloop Charger Kit 1 x Charger/ 8 x AA /4 x AAA for 24.99.

Thanks, is that the lowest price they sell them for? Cause I wanna buy one of these but I'm not in a hurry lol

Yeah well they could get to $19.99 or less but you do receive fewer batteries too, something like 8 instead of 12 or may be just 4.

That is very good price for these batteries, grab them people.

Yondy604

Banned
I have a TON of questions.

1 - What's an SSD, and why should I get one? (I see a ton on sale for 100$)
2 - Would a new hard drive be worth it? (I have a 300 gig, old piece of crap, like 7 years old, good PC tho)
3 - Does the target trade in deal work for Canada?
4 - I have a Sibera V2 Headset, is it worth upgrading to Astro 40/50 or Siberia Elite?
5 - How much does a 500 gig PS3 with controller sell for on Craigslist/ebay/ Or trade in at Gamestop usually? (eb games).
6 - Can a 625w ex2 Power Supply handle a 770 GTX?

Thanks guys!

2 - Would a new hard drive be worth it? (I have a 300 gig, old piece of crap, like 7 years old, good PC tho)

Thanks guys!

Can't answer your other questions (though I'm pretty sure the power supply would be fine, I'm not up on Nvidia cards but if it's not one of those crazy x2 cards it's probably okay), but an SSD is basically flash memory that replaces your hard drive. Why would you do this? Because it's much, much, much faster. I just put one in my machine, which had a 7200rpm hard drive as the boot drive before. With that drive, it would take a couple of minutes for my machine to finally settle down enough for me to do things without waiting for programs to open and stuff. With the SSD, that's now down to less than a minute.

If you've got a 300GB drive in your computer and that's it, there's practically no reason NOT to get an SSD. You've already done the hard work of trimming down your data to fit on most reasonably cheap SSDs without realizing it! If you really want to splurge, get a 500GB SSD (those run about $260-300 depending on brand) and a 2TB hard drive ($100 or less) and go to town! Or if you want to save money and still get a performance boost, cut your data down to about 150-200GB and buy one of those 256GB SSDs. Samsung 840 Evo, Seagate 600, Crucial M500 are all good choices (I think the Sandisk Extreme/Ultra Plus is too but I haven't really researched those as much).

Banned

4 - I have a Sibera V2 Headset, is it worth upgrading to Astro 40/50 or Siberia Elite?
5 - How much does a 500 gig PS3 with controller sell for on Craigslist/ebay/ Or trade in at Gamestop usually? (eb games).

Thanks guys!

1. A solid state drive using flash memrou instead of a hard disc that spins. Basically it instantly recalls data since it stays in the same spot, whereas an HDD keeps everything in different sectors on a disc and uses a needle to find the data. It's best to put your operating systems on an ssd. My windows 7 took 31 seconds to boot from power up to desktop on a 7200rpm HDD. It took 13 seconds on an ssd with sata 3.0. Get one, but they don't make big enough ones that are affordable. Get a 120GB one (OCZ Vertex is good) and out your OS on it.

2. You need more memory and a faster HDD. Get a 1TB for like $80.

3. Which target deal? The triple trade in credit one? Nope, doesn't work here.

4. I don't know much about headsets but surround sound headsets are awesome compared to stereo

5. Tradeins at GameStop is $90 for slims and super slims. 500GB might get you $100. If you trade towards digital or next gen console you get 20% extra credit or 30% if your a platinum member. It can sell on ebay or craigslist or kijij depending on condition for $200-250 at that HDD space

6. 625w is good for that GPU, but if you ever plan to OC, SLI, or get a dual GPU I would suggest a little more.

vulva

Why would I need your HJ's. You saw my hand this weekend... that ENHANCES my own. ;)

Your old roomate on the other hand... ;)
Oh since my girl's name starts with a J, I just call her Handy J. I would gift multiples of her to you to do whatever you want.

Hieberrr

Thanks guys!
1. SSD (Solid State Drive) is a type of hard drive that is flash based, rather than disk based.Benefits include extremely fast read and write speeds (your PC will boot in a mere few seconds, programs/apps launch as soon as you hit the icon, etc...). I use one as a boot drive for W8.1 and for all of my important programs (Office, Chrome, Adobe Creative Suite, etc...).

2. I would say yes. In addition to the SDD, you can get a 1 TB WD Blue or Black for $100 or less. You get a lot of storage space and reliability.

3. No idea.

4. No idea.

5. No idea.

6. It should. The minimum is 600w. I think you're safe with that. Mind you, you can go a wee bit higher just to be safe. Ultimately though, the most important factor is getting a PSU from a reputable brand and with the proper certification. Don't cheap out on a PSU. Without a proper PSU, you'll run the risk of killing your parts.

Yondy604

Banned
Thanks guys for the answers.

How would I move my current Operating system stuff onto the SSD, and just use the other TB Hard drive (which I will buy also), as the other stuff.

Is it complicated?

Also Which SSD would you guys suggest for around 100/150$
Same with hard drive.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4100 33 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX (AM3R2) 39 °C
Graphics
Digital (2560x1440@59Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (Gigabyte) 34 °C
Storage
298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AL ATA Device
Audio
ASUS Xonar U3 Audio Device

Banned
Thanks guys for the answers.

How would I move my current Operating system stuff onto the SSD, and just use the other TB Hard drive (which I will buy also), as the other stuff.

Is it complicated?

Also Which SSD would you guys suggest for around 100/150$
Same with hard drive.

Install OS to the SSD and make it the primary bootup device. Keep your HDD connected and you can access it and all it's files without doing anything.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8209152&CatId=5298

simpleton

I just upgraded to ssds on two of my systems.and i used EaseUS To Do Backup to clone my current drives to the new ssds. That way you dont even have to bother reinstalling your os and programs. (As long as everything fits on your new ssd). I suck at things like this, but it was surprisingly easy.

Top Bottom