• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just upgraded to ssds on two of my systems.and i used EaseUS To Do Backup to clone my current drives to the new ssds. That way you dont even have to bother reinstalling your os and programs. (As long as everything fits on your new ssd). I suck at things like this, but it was surprisingly easy.
Cloning is easy unless you bought a computer from a major brand and it has shit loads of partitions on it. I had to start with a fresh install on my HP. lol

That's ahhh bit out of my price range. Looking to spend like 120$ max after tax.

Also the reviews scare the hell out of me, 90% negative lol

I would go with one of the four I mentioned above (Samsung 840 Evo, Seagate 600, Crucial M500, Sandisk Ultra Plus). I have a Seagate 600 in my machine right now because its performance/price ratio is better than the Crucial's, but the Crucial seems to be completely rock solid. Whatever you do, don't get anything with a Sandforce controller in it--too many weird problems with those. Also, maybe avoid OCZ because they recently went bankrupt. I don't know if they've figured out who's handling warranties on their drives but why risk it when you have so many other options?

Keep an eye on RFD or the various computer stores (NCIX, Canada Computers, Memory Express, NewEgg, Tigerdirect.ca). 240/256GB SSDs seem to go on sale pretty routinely for $120 before tax. Every so often you'll see one for under that; that's the time to pounce.

would u suggest a SSD + 1 tb Hard drive combo. Or a 500 gig Single SSD?

Depends on how much storage you need. I thought I would have a hell of a time getting all the data on my 1TB to fit on a 480GB SSD. Turns out all I really needed to do was do some spring cleaning and move/uninstall a whole bunch of Steam games. When I was done I weighed in at under 300GB, so I have lots of clearance. The only real thing to remember about SSDs is that for best results, you want to leave some free space on them--though from what I've read lately, this isn't nearly as big of a deal as it used to be, so you might not really need to worry about this.

I can't personally conceive of someone only having 300GB on their main computer in the first place (I've been spoiled with multiple 2TB drives for so long), so you're probably the best judge of whether you feel you need the space or not. If money is tight, get a smaller SSD and try to move as much stuff onto the hard drive as possible.

I just upgraded to ssds on two of my systems.and i used EaseUS To Do Backup to clone my current drives to the new ssds. That way you dont even have to bother reinstalling your os and programs. (As long as everything fits on your new ssd). I suck at things like this, but it was surprisingly easy.

Can you use that to backup just one partition and clone it to the SSD?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
would u suggest a SSD + 1 tb Hard drive combo. Or a 500 gig Single SSD?
Honestly, I don't see that many gains for games in terms of loading between SSD and normal HD. It's like a little faster, but not enough for me to notice. But it depends on your budget... if you have unlimited money, might as well get the bigger SSD (in RAID) AND a bigger storage drive. lol

Can you use that to backup just one partition and clone it to the SSD?
EaseUS will want to image the entire drive. So if you have a HP drive or something, it'll come with all the shitty backup partitions and what now. I just found it easier to start over.

I would go with one of the four I mentioned above (Samsung 840 Evo, Seagate 600, Crucial M500, Sandisk Ultra Plus). I have a Seagate 600 in my machine right now because its performance/price ratio is better than the Crucial's, but the Crucial seems to be completely rock solid. Whatever you do, don't get anything with a Sandforce controller in it--too many weird problems with those. Also, maybe avoid OCZ because they recently went bankrupt. I don't know if they've figured out who's handling warranties on their drives but why risk it when you have so many other options?

Keep an eye on RFD or the various computer stores (NCIX, Canada Computers, Memory Express, NewEgg, Tigerdirect.ca). 240/256GB SSDs seem to go on sale pretty routinely for $120 before tax. Every so often you'll see one for under that; that's the time to pounce.
I have a Crucial in my Mac and it works fine as well. Honestly, there isn't much difference between the brands now afaik.

vs9AG.gif

Hahaha perfect.

RS4-

As long as you don't buy OCZ.

And no, don't buy a 500GB SSD unless you don't care about money. 128-256SSD + a standard WD HDD (or four) are good.

Vancouver GAF: I have a physical copy of Watch Dogs: Day 1 Edition (PS4) still preordered at Futureshop. I'm buying the game digital, so if anyone wants it at a discount let me know if you're interested before I cancel the preorder.

Vancouver GAF: I have a physical copy of Watch Dogs: Day 1 Edition (PS4) still preordered at Futureshop. I'm buying the game digital, so if anyone wants it at a discount let me know if you're interested before I cancel the preorder.

If it's E3 preorder then I'm sure many people will take it from you or just wait and sell it for a profit!

Yeah, it's an E3 preorder, so I'd be paying $44 or so after tax, meaning I'd probably want to unload it for $60 cash to make it worth the trouble.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh, did Futureshop ban Videogamesplus or something? I tried calling in to PM and they said they couldn't access the site to check the price. :/

Banned
Ugh, I bought a titanfall bundle on april 14th but had to sell it a week later because my gf ended up owing $700 in taxes. Now I want the $399 bundle without Kinect but I'm broke and want a deal lol. But I'm scared Microsoft might pull a Sony and raise prices to $450 so I'm debating if I should jump in now or wait.

Ugh, I bought a titanfall bundle on april 14th but had to sell it a week later because my gf ended up owing $700 in taxes. Now I want the $399 bundle without Kinect but I'm broke and want a deal lol. But I'm scared Microsoft might pull a Sony and raise prices to $450 so I'm debating if I should jump in now or wait.

I'd buy Titanfall bundle again if you're into the game, or maybe you already have the game on your account after the first purchase ;)
That's an evil idea btw lol

i-Jest

Anyone get their Ebate cheque in the mail? Got mine today. Came with instructions to get a $5 giftcard from Amazon. All I have to do now is get twitter (*-__-). Wanted to avoid the twitter bandwagon but dat free giftcard doe mang....

-Deimos

Anyone get their Ebate cheque in the mail? Got mine today. Came with instructions to get a $5 giftcard from Amazon. All I have to do now is get twitter (*-__-). Wanted to avoid the twitter bandwagon but dat free giftcard doe mang....

What was the giftcard for?

Zeeman

Today's used game sales:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 for $9.99 (you might get lucky in store) http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=01d728f53202f2853f9d7c2c6f7e6894en02

COD:BLOPS II (Wii U) for $4.99 (this one actually has some in-store availability): http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=327b7fb81f745d42ff2436d30a95420aen02

Rayman Legends Wii U $20 @ futureshop.ca

I think that's been the case for a while, I picked it up for that price weeks ago. AC IV for Wii U is also $20.

jet1911

I want to buy an Xbox One soon and I wanted to wait for a 20X event at SDM so I look at the flyer for this week and I see that they have a 20X event! Great! "Oh whats that? Cosmetic only?". Sad face. They have a bundle with Forza 5 too, which makes it a lot more appealing... :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, apparently VGP.ca is banned from Futureshop online. If someone price matches them over the phone, let me know - they told me that they can't access the site from their work computers, which means they can't do PMs from them. But now I have to scrounge and hope for a copy of the game in store.

Although, at this point, I should just buy from VGP in order to support their lower prices.

Yeah, apparently VGP.ca is banned from Futureshop online. If someone price matches them over the phone, let me know - they told me that they can't access the site from their work computers, which means they can't do PMs from them. But now I have to scrounge and hope for a copy of the game in store.

Although, at this point, I should just buy from VGP in order to support their lower prices.

Way to go price beat promise!
So basically because VGP aren't following the same scheme of ripping people off they won't PM their prices?! I'd say yes supporting VGP now is the right choice!

Maximus.

Today's used game sales:

New Super Mario Bros. 2 for $9.99 (you might get lucky in store) http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=01d728f53202f2853f9d7c2c6f7e6894en02

COD:BLOPS II (Wii U) for $4.99 (this one actually has some in-store availability): http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=327b7fb81f745d42ff2436d30a95420aen02

I think that's been the case for a while, I picked it up for that price weeks ago. AC IV for Wii U is also $20.

Jumped on Mario. Finally caught this when they aren't sold out.

Vamphuntr

So basically because VGP aren't following the same scheme of ripping people off they won't PM their prices?! I'd say yes supporting VGP now is the right choice!

I wouldn't support them even if they were the only store to have the games I wanted. After they got hacked and leaked my personal information online and did not even bother to tell me about it or give me some sort of compensation they can go bankrupt for all I care.

This is pretty much already where I am. Helps that they had the lowest price by far for Drakengard 3, even after the shipping costs. There's a very good chance I'll be downsizing or completely staying out of the E3 promos this year, partially for this reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't support them even if they were the only store to have the games I wanted. After they got hacked and leaked my personal information online and did not even bother to tell me about it or give me some sort of compensation they can go bankrupt for all I care.
Yeah, this is the only reason why I'm wary about using them... but then again, I would hope that they're all secure now. And since Europeans use them all the time, I assume if something bad has happened, someone would have raised a stink by now.

This is pretty much already where I am. Helps that they had the lowest price by far for Drakengard 3, even after the shipping costs. There's a very good chance I'll be downsizing or completely staying out of the E3 promos this year, partially for this reason.
I just came back from the local FS and I was lucky that the one manager I'm friendly with was working today. She put it through even though VGP's site is a bit arcane and old fashioned. But yeesh, what an adventure. lol

They still don't accept reward certificates online which is really dumb.
The funny thing is that in the US, they do accept them online. They just never bothered upgrading the Canadian system, even though they use the same technology and have the same customer support staff. (If you call in to ask about missing points, you get US Best Buy).

Sora_N

Staples is not selling console games anymore now eh?

All the fake game cases are off the shelves and in a bin. There's all the same crap, 95% of it is discounted but not all are good deals.

MGS GZ is $29.99 for XBone now lol.

Nothing really worthwhile to note this time. Hopefully they drop the prices further on some stuff but there's nothing I'm even that interested in.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regarding VGP and Future Shop, I PM with them all the time, but have it on my phone.
Have you done it recently? I don't know if something happened, but yesterday and today their agents literally said that the site was blocked by their computers. The only way they could reach the site was on a computer not on their work network.

Top Bottom