• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Apathy

Well, it's more like a double-edged blade: it does help exports and foreign investments, but makes life more expensive when it comes to importing.
So, how much does Canada import?
How much does Canada export?
It's a dangerous economic tool, and that's why one of the first steps in the EU was to establish a common currency, to avoid countries exploiting the devaluing of their own currencies.

Sure it's a great tool for the US to stay competitive and especially considering their foreign debt.

I don't want to start an economics debate, just wanted to add my 2 cents as we're already experiencing the other side of the coin on our wallets (provided that games should be considered as imported goods?).

The argument that it is good for the economy when our dollar is weak always bothers me. The only people that will benefit from it is going to be the top people of companies and the companies themselves and it well never reach normal individuals. It won't mean lower unemployment, won't mean people will get better pay because a company makes more money. We were never hurting when or dollar was at parity, and the most amount of people benefited from it, just wish the government actually did things that would benefit us over companies. Sorry for the rant.

So guys, I just moved to Montreal from Paris.

I haven't seen any video games stores. What or where should I look for? I'd like to buy a PS4 here, considerably cheaper than in France..

For now near Berri UQAM station, afterwards I'll be near Jean Talon.
Haven't seen any of those shops yet. I'll look for it.

Welcome to Montreal, Canada. As Shagg mentioned, all the retailers offer the PS4 at the same price with few cents of a difference. The harder part here is the ability to find a PS4. I haven't seen any in stock in any of the stores i've been to.

There's a Futureshop very close to you at 470 Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest

Just in front of Berri-Uqam is the big Archambault store, they have a decent videogame selection. Other than that, there's a Futureshop 15 minutes (walking) from there.

However, good luck with the PS4. It's out of stock everywhere.

That FutureShop on St.Catherine might be a bit if walk this winter.

I remember there is also a Game crazy opposite time Future Shop on St.Catherine. Not sure if at is still around.

With the summer coming up, im sure you'll have a good time here. Montreal GAF still needs to do a meet up. Haven't gotten a chance for that yet.

Zing

Banned
I am torn between these and the Billy shelves, because I have a boatload of board games I also want to shelve/display.
I have approximately 80-100 boardgames, and I use two Billy with one corner Billy to hold my kid games. It works well.

These would be terrible for video games, though. They are far too deep and would waste space unless you stacked them 2-3 rows deep.

Does Future Shop charge you the price you preordered at or do they up the price?

They have a few upcoming titles still at $59.99 like Dragon Age Inquisition that I would like to secure at that price.

Lexxism

Does Future Shop charge you the price you preordered at or do they up the price?

They have a few upcoming titles still at $59.99 like Dragon Age Inquisition that I would like to secure at that price.

They charge you the price you pre-ordered online. Not the same case I think with in-store.

The argument that it is good for the economy when our dollar is weak always bothers me. The only people that will benefit from it is going to be the top people of companies and the companies themselves and it well never reach normal individuals. It won't mean lower unemployment, won't mean people will get better pay because a company makes more money. We were never hurting when or dollar was at parity, and the most amount of people benefited from it, just wish the government actually did things that would benefit us over companies. Sorry for the rant.

It's actually quite good for raw materials export. I used to see a lot of loggers and other woodworkers that were basically relying on the dollar to stay low (back when it was .65-.75) to get more hours.

The problem now is that a lot of those raw materials jobs don't exist anymore, and aren't coming back as the industries that supported them have either collapsed or moved elsewhere. In some cases it makes sense (obviously, logging BC dry is not a good idea) but it just reinforces the core problem that generating jobs is very difficult in our techology-driven times.

Thankfully I still have quite a few E3 pre-orders, albeit with caveats (like Deep Down being now confirmed as digital). Still glad to have many of these locked in during this 70 dollar BS. (Cheers to another great thread BTW!)

Splinter Cell Blacklist (PlayStation 4)
Final Fantasy XV (PlayStation 4)
Deep Down (PlayStation 4)
Driveclub (PlayStation 4)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo Wii U)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Nintendo Wii U)
Halo (Xbox One)
Tom Clancys The Division (PlayStation 4)
The Order 1886 (PlayStation 4)
Destiny (PlayStation 4)
Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt (PlayStation 4)
Mirrors Edge 2 (PlayStation 4)
D4 (Xbox One)
Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
Quantum Break (Xbox One)
Starwars Battlefront (PlayStation 4)
Watch Dogs Day 1 Edition (PlayStation 4)
inFamous Second Son (PlayStation 4)

Megasoum

Banned
Welcome to Montreal, Canada. As Shagg mentioned, all the retailers offer the PS4 at the same price with few cents of a difference. The harder part here is the ability to find a PS4. I haven't seen any in stock in any of the stores i've been to.

That FutureShop on St.Catherine might be a bit if walk this winter.

I remember there is also a Game crazy opposite time Future Shop on St.Catherine. Not sure if at is still around.

With the summer coming up, im sure you'll have a good time here. Montreal GAF still needs to do a meet up. Haven't gotten a chance for that yet.

The Gamebuzz in front of the Futureshop has been closed for a while now. I'm not sure that Gamebuzz even exists anymore. Not really surprising considering that they were selling everything for more than any other store. Who would want to buy there?

I have approximately 80-100 boardgames, and I use two Billy with one corner Billy to hold my kid games. It works well.

These would be terrible for video games, though. They are far too deep and would waste space unless you stacked them 2-3 rows deep.

This is exactly what I do with my Billy shelves. DVD/Blu-Ray cases (including PS3/360/etc. games) fit two deep no problem. I actually kind of like this, as wall space is at a premium and I don't really need all my stuff on display at once. I also have some shelf space set aside that holds PSP games in the back and 3DS/Vita games in front, which works okay except PSP games are much taller and so I have to stack the other games vertically to use the space most efficiently.

Keep in mind that if you decide to use Billy shelves exclusively for video games or similarly-sized media, you'll need to buy extra shelves (as opposed to the shelf units themselves--I'm talking literally about additional planks of wood to put in the unit). I think they come with five and that leaves way too much vertical space for video games.

Lexxism

I won an auction for a game this morning and paid for it right away. Can I do that?

Ah, I don't think you can do that for the auction though. Sorry

You're talking about in store right?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about in-store pre-order.

I want to write a really angry letter to Futureshop. Does anyone know the email address I should send it to?

You can use their site to file a complain.

snack

Thankfully I still have quite a few E3 pre-orders, albeit with caveats (like Deep Down being now confirmed as digital). Still glad to have many of these locked in during this 70 dollar BS. (Cheers to another great thread BTW!)

Splinter Cell Blacklist (PlayStation 4)
Final Fantasy XV (PlayStation 4)
Deep Down (PlayStation 4)
Driveclub (PlayStation 4)
Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo Wii U)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Nintendo Wii U)
Halo (Xbox One)
Tom Clancys The Division (PlayStation 4)
The Order 1886 (PlayStation 4)
Destiny (PlayStation 4)
Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt (PlayStation 4)
Mirrors Edge 2 (PlayStation 4)
D4 (Xbox One)
Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)
Quantum Break (Xbox One)
Starwars Battlefront (PlayStation 4)
Watch Dogs Day 1 Edition (PlayStation 4)
inFamous Second Son (PlayStation 4)

Damnnnn that is quite the backlog!

Damnnnn that is quite the backlog!

Is it still considered a backlog if the games haven't been released yet? :p

Nope. Man I really wish I preordered more games during E3, but at least there are still cheaper ways to buy games other than retail.

Backlog or not, I'm really happy that I decided to pull the trigger on the deal last year. It was actually the first time that I've bothered to do so. I remember feeling like I was going overboard but, as others mentioned from this community at the time, there isn't any risk as everything can be returned. The only catch is shipping charges which are minimal at best.

The Gaming Deals thread rocks!

espher

I had been thinking one or two of the 15" deep ones for a number of games and then getting a couple of the 11" deep for some of the smaller games and my console games (still playing with the aesthetics of the layout of my new place, so I'm not sure where I'm putting them and what arrangement I want yet), just because I don't currently have enough to fill 'em out. I have a few friends south of the border that swear by them for DVDs/Blu-rays.

What would you recommend? I'm just reluctant to get anything in a tower style because I hate the narrow + tall look of DVD/CD towers and I have a few of those already. Something aggravating to me about only being able to put six or eight cases on a row haha. I really don't mind 'dead space' in front of the cases, either, so I don't mind going to something a little beyond 7" deep.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Really? I was charged for shipping on my PS4 order so I just assumed...
You must've not picked free shipping. The only time you'll pay for shipping from FS/BB is for orders under $20 and for large orders (big TVs, home appliances, etc.).

You must've not picked free shipping. The only time you'll pay for shipping from FS/BB is for orders under $20 and for large orders (big TVs, home appliances, etc.).

There was some kind of environmental handling fee, though. Anyone else have that too?

i-Jest

Indigo Chapters is having a farewell sale. 50% off store wide. Sale ends March 23rd. Got the newsletter today.

Fuzzy

There was some kind of environmental handling fee, though. Anyone else have that too?
BC hit you with that then. Here in Ontario I wasn't charged that because consoles/handhelds are exempt. We have to pay on other electronics though.

Cheerilee

The weak dollar (compared to America) is usually a symptom of a weak economy (compared to America), but it has the effect of improving our economy (by leeching money away from America). Essentially, Americans are encouraged to give us their money, and we're penalized for giving them ours.

Here's a picture of our dollar over the years.

JEd33Fa.jpg

Ten years up, ten years down, ten years up, 30 years way down. And during those thirty years, I saw Vancouver's film and videogame industries emerge. That was after Expo 86 drew attention to Vancouver, but it was still big news by "Canada" standards, and most people seemed to credit the low Canadian dollar (which wasn't caused by Canadian weakness BTW, but by American strength, in what Americans call "the Clinton years"). After 9/11 and the global meltdown, the American economy went to hell, and ours was somewhat sheltered because we had different banking practices, so our dollar went up in comparison to America, but our economy still took a pounding (in spite of what the dollar seemed to show), and as we enjoyed the dollar at par, the local film and videogame industries were on the verge of collapse. They only survived because of government subsidies, and then other governments like Ontario showed that they had more balls than BC and offered better subsidies. Now that the dollar is dropping, what's left of the BC film industry is breathing a sigh of relief. And those are real people, not corporations or CEOs.

i-Jest

Whaaaaaaat? Link? In-store only?

Just read the details in the news letter:

"ffer excludes electronics & related accessories, kids’ electronics, tablets, eBooks, giftcards, video games and consoles, used books, LEGO Friends, LEGO Mindstorm, gift cards, Rosetta Stone interactive learning software"

*Sighs*

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Just read the details in the news letter:

"ffer excludes electronics & related accessories, kids’ electronics, tablets, eBooks, giftcards, video games and consoles, used books, LEGO Friends, LEGO Mindstorm, gift cards, Rosetta Stone interactive learning software"

*Sighs*

Still, I don't see anything online and there's a lot of books I'd love to get. Is it for one specific store only?

i-Jest

Still, I don't see anything online and there's a lot of books I'd love to get. Is it for one specific store only?

Not from what I can tell.

Full details: "Valid on select in-stock regular priced merchandise at World’s Biggest Bookstore from March 3 to March 23 2014, while quantities last. Offer excludes electronics & related accessories, kids’ electronics, tablets, eBooks, giftcards, video games and consoles, used books, LEGO Friends, LEGO Mindstorm, gift cards, Rosetta Stone interactive learning software, memberships or Indigo Love of Reading fundraising products or donations. Not valid in conjunction with any other offers or promotions (excluding every day irewards discount) and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Not valid on kiosk orders. Discount percentage, prices, and selection may vary between stores and online. Indigo, Chapters and indigo.ca are trademarks of Indigo Books and Music Inc.
FREE SHIPPING OVER $25: Parcels eligible for Free Standard Shipping, 1-9 business days, depending on warehouse location and shipping destination.
Prices valid for a limited time and may be subject to change without notice".

Wait, they're closing?

Farewell sale in red letters. "After 33 years of serving the community, we're saying 'Thanks, Toronto' with 50% off store wide". I assume this means they're clearing out. To me it appears to be a final liquidation sale.

Fuzzy

Not from what I can tell.

Full details: "Valid on select in-stock regular priced merchandise at World’s Biggest Bookstore from March 3 to March 23 2014, while quantities last.

Farewell sale in red letters. "After 33 years of serving the community, we're saying 'Thanks, Toronto' with 50% off store wide". I assume this means they're clearing out. To me it appears to be a final liquidation sale.

That's only for World’s Biggest Bookstore in Toronto. Chapters is closing it down.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
That's only for World’s Biggest Bookstore in Toronto. Chapters is closing it down.

Aaaaaah... :(

If you're in Toronto, pick up the Calvin and Hobbes anthology!

The Gamebuzz in front of the Futureshop has been closed for a while now. I'm not sure that Gamebuzz even exists anymore. Not really surprising considering that they were selling everything for more than any other store. Who would want to buy there?

Nope they closed down shop, Unfortunetly. had a nice retro collection there.

Ah okay. I've never been to the store but remember seeing it there a bunch of times.

Apathy

The weak dollar (compared to America) is usually a symptom of a weak economy (compared to America), but it has the effect of improving our economy (by leeching money away from America). Essentially, Americans are encouraged to give us their money, and we're penalized for giving them ours.

Here's a picture of our dollar over the years.

JEd33Fa.jpg

Ten years up, ten years down, ten years up, 30 years way down. And during those thirty years, I saw Vancouver's film and videogame industries emerge. That was after Expo 86 drew attention to Vancouver, but it was still big news by "Canada" standards, and most people seemed to credit the low Canadian dollar (which wasn't caused by Canadian weakness BTW, but by American strength, in what Americans call "the Clinton years"). After 9/11 and the global meltdown, the American economy went to hell, and ours was somewhat sheltered because we had different banking practices, so our dollar went up in comparison to America, but our economy still took a pounding (in spite of what the dollar seemed to show), and as we enjoyed the dollar at par, the local film and videogame industries were on the verge of collapse. They only survived because of government subsidies, and then other governments like Ontario showed that they had more balls than BC and offered better subsidies. Now that the dollar is dropping, what's left of the BC film industry is breathing a sigh of relief. And those are real people, not corporations or CEOs.

Don't want to turn this into a big thing, but your story is extremely anecdotal. The 90's had high unemployment in Canada (8.1, 10.3, 11.2, 11.4, 10.4, 9.5, 9.6, 9.1, 8.3, 7.6- All percentages going from 1991-1999). From 2002 to 2007 when your chart ends, we saw 7.7, 7.6, 7.2, 6.8, 6.3 and 6 percent unemployment respectively. Sure all of this can be correlation and thus mean nothing, but when our dollar has been weak is has not translated to lower unemployment (between 82 and 86 we also had a period of high unemployment, in 86 it was 9.6% and started the lower trend till 89.)

unemployment numbers gotten from http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid=16 and http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/cv2@-eng.jsp?fromind=1&iid=16&sid=8&chrtid=1 to build your own graph.

Top Bottom