• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

UberTag

The Lenovo laptop price error debacle got the plum 6 o'clock lead story slot on Global News tonight.
Got to love slow news days.

Rather one-sided blurb too as Lenovo decided it would be a good idea to duck the media.

Those dumbasses still haven't refunded my credit card. :/
They haven't refunded anyone's credit card.
I believe some orders were cancelled before people were charged so some $1 authorization charges were cleared.
But nobody that was charged in full has seen a dime and probably won't for another few days.

-Deimos

I emailed them for kicks just in case they decide to give me the laptop. Worth a shot, I guess.

Also, my preorder shipped. Let's see if it gets here on time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Lenovo laptop price error debacle got the plum 6 o'clock lead story slot on Global News tonight.
Got to love slow news days.

Rather one-sided blurb too as Lenovo decided it would be a good idea to duck the media.
Hahaha, I hope it gets uploaded somewhere. So good.

Gritesh

Hahaha, I hope it gets uploaded somewhere. So good.
Thing is that after the global news segment this story will die, and everyone will move on with their lives. Lenovo knows this so you just wait out the storm and then business as usual... Not like the media will keep pestering them..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thing is that after the global news segment this story will die, and everyone will move on with their lives. Lenovo knows this so you just wait out the storm and then business as usual... Not like the media will keep pestering them..
Oh, of course. It's still funny that it came to this though. lol

Vamphuntr

Was gone for a few days so I missed the laptop apocalypse lol. It was fairly obvious you wouldn't get a 1000+$ laptop for 300$. I was reading the last few pages and some twitter replies pics posted were really hilarious. Like not honoring the goof would hurt their business. The people complaining in the first place are probably never shopping there anyway.

Seems like Lenovo's system can't handle such a huge volume of cancellations too so it will take a lot of time to sort it out. Seems they charge your card upfront too which is shady. I guess you guys played with fire and got burned. It sucks to be caught with pending refunds but it was obvious it was a mistake in the first place.

It reminds me of Brick's 50% off everything on top of the Boxing Day sales that happened on Boxing Day. People were ordering multiple 450$ tv that were worth more than 2500$ and were complaining about how the store was awful for not selling them the items even though it was a price mistake.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Holy shit. I made a Watch Dogs order in 2012 and it just shipped. I guess I forgot to cancel that one... lol

Edit: man, remember the GLIST promo? :p

mdubs

Banned
I need to know, is there anyone in this thread who will openly admit to paying full price for a $69.99 game or a $449.99 PS4 since the price increase? Genuinely curious.

Dazzler

I need to know, is there anyone in this thread who will openly admit to paying full price for a $69.99 game or a $449.99 PS4 since the price increase? Genuinely curious.

I bought MLB The Show for $69.99

Only game I've paid full price for

I felt dirty

Banned
Are there any deals going on with Xbox one consoles, leading up to the kinectless SKU?
I've been browsing like everyday. Can't find cheaper xbox ones, what I'm finding is lots of bundles with Xbox live, extra controllers and games. No reduced price of the vanilla XB1.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've managed to hold strong, strangely. Even Drakengard I was lucky to price match.

I've been browsing like everyday. Can't find cheaper xbox ones, what I'm finding is lots of bundles with Xbox live, extra controllers and games. No reduced price of the vanilla XB1.
Would they drop the price of Xbox One Kinect? I thought they were still going to sell those bundles after the new 399 package is out.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My laptop order is still "released to manufacturing" and I haven't gotten the cancellation email yet either

Holding out hope!

Google

What a ridiculous way to phrase this question.

Yes, I've bought multiple titles at $69.99 +14% tax. Why?

Samyy

There can't be that many right :/
Got enough in my backlog to just wait until they are 49.99 or lower

Would they drop the price of Xbox One Kinect? I thought they were still going to sell those bundles after the new 399 package is out.

I do not think they would drop the Kinect and if they did, would be plain dumb. Keep bundling it, let the people interested in it buy it for a an extra $100 rather than the standalone price which would most likely be $150.

They could keep bundling a game with that like the Titanfall bundle, could help in sales.

mdubs

Banned
What a ridiculous way to phrase this question.

Yes, I've bought multiple titles at $69.99 +14% tax. Why?

Because this is the deals thread so where you would assume people here would a) be hesitant to pay full price for a game and b) be pissed that the price has gone up recently. So it's interesting to see if anyone has bitten the bullet anyways.

Firestorm

If there were people in this thread who were paying full price for games even before the price increase they were doing it wrong.

Google

Because this is the deals thread so where you would assume people here would a) be hesitant to pay full price for a game and b) be pissed that the price has gone up recently. So it's interesting to see if anyone has bitten the bullet anyways.

If I want to play a videogame, an additional $10 is not going to put me off.

Even if I buy 30 brand new games a year (Which is unlikely) that's an additional $300 - that impacts my life in no negative way so I tend to not be bothered about an incremental increase.

I use this thread to keep abreast of deals and titles that I might have skipped or missed.

FrsDvl

I'm buying Mario Kart for 64,99. Other than that i haven't bought anything cause i started renting instead. Best decision i've ever made. Wont pay 65 or 70 dollars, unless it's a game that i know will be worth it's value.

mdubs

Banned
There can't be that many right :/
Got enough in my backlog to just wait until they are 49.99 or lower

Yup this is what I've been doing, and buying some older and cheaper JRPGs to supplement my E3 preorders. Really hoping that FS comes through this year again to keep the preorder train rolling for me.

Price shaming in this thread. Awesome.

It's probably worth noting that I'm more interested in the reaction to the price increases (particularly since we're all presumably deal inclined here) rather than shaming anyone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Since the PS4 games price have been raised, you guys think we will see that 40$ per game if you order more than 2; during E3?
I want to order 4 this time around. 3 Xbox One and 1 PS4. They better have this man.

UberTag

The sooner we agree to happily shell out $70/game during a 92-cent Canuck buck, the sooner publishers start charging us $80/game the next time the Canuck buck drops below 90 cents.

QaaQer

I paid $89 for digital W_D.

I also tip 25% if service is good at restaurants.

Tik-Tok

Yup this is what I've been doing, and buying some older and cheaper JRPGs to supplement my E3 preorders. Really hoping that FS comes through this year again to keep the preorder train rolling for me.

It's probably worth noting that I'm more interested in the reaction to the price increases (particularly since we're all presumably deal inclined here) rather than shaming anyone.

I was mostly kidding Mostly. Seriously though you probably accidentally offend people a lot don't you? :p

Does anyone know when the FS/BB E3 deal info was put up last year? With the page updated, I figured it would be put up soon. Would the start of June be a reasonable expectation?

I need to order Zelda U again this year because they changed my order for it last year to WWHD, which meant I had to return a copy. Quite annoying.

And to answer the previous question, I have not bought any $69.99 games. I hardly buy $59.99 games.

And, first post :)

ohlawd

List so I'll be on top of preorders when the deal is up

Hyrule Warriors
Zelda Wii U
Bayonetta 2
Smash Wii U
X
SMT x FE
Sonic Boom

Sunset Overdrive
Halo 5
Quantum Break
Halo MS Collection (well, it's gonna happen, right?)

Pokemon ORAS
Smash 3DS
Monster Hunter 4
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Story of Seasons

Persona 5
Tales of Xillia 2
Tales of Zestiria

Tomodachi Life will be out before E3. Shinovi Versus and Danganronpa 2 aren't going to be up for preorder at BS/FS. Got room in there for unannounced stuff (omg omg Phantom Dust, the trademark and shit it's gonna happen pls pls)

I'm all set, man.

And, first post :)

Welcome! Hope for a deal on pillows soon!

Welcome! Hope for a deal on pillows soon!

Thanks! I already have around five pillows on my bed, so I don't think I need any more.

My list would just be Pokemon, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda U, and whatever is announced. If One Piece was physical on Wii U in Canada I would get it, but it isn't.

Top Bottom