• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

kennah

Tell me about it. Nothing ever happens here. It's always Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, or Montreal. Really want to move but I can't afford schooling/rent anywhere else. So fucking expensive.
Montreal is just as cheap to live in as Winnipeg.

We almost moved from here to there last year and looked into the cost of living numbers and Montreal actually came up as about $60 cheaper to live in by our budgets :p

Their fucking transit passes are even cheaper.

MarkusRJR

Montreal is just as cheap to live in as Winnipeg.

We almost moved from here to there last year and looked into the cost of living numbers and Montreal actually came up as about $60 cheaper to live in by our budgets :p

Their fucking transit passes are even cheaper.
I don't speak french unfortunately.

flkraven

Got another apology email from Lenovo + a $100 off a laptop coupon from them. Not great, but better than nothing yet. Unfortunately, I still don't have my money back from the cancellation!!

suikodan

I don't speak french unfortunately.

Come on... english speaking people can easily live in Mtl without knowing a single word in french.

Even if you leave the island, you can EASILY get around without any problem and EVEN better, if you begin your sentence with "Bonjour", people are usually more lenient to answer you.

MarkusRJR

Nah. I mean, there are francophone universities, but English is the primary language at McGill and Concordia.
Hmmm... I might consider this, assuming the pricing is alright.

Come on... english speaking people can easily live in Mtl without knowing a single word in french.

Even if you leave the island, you can EASILY get around without any problem and EVEN better, if you begin your sentence with "Bonjour", people are usually more lenient to answer you.
As someone who has only lived in English regions of Canada I'm just going off what I've heard/seen. I've seen a video or two of english speaking people being harassed on YouTube a few years back and it really turned me off the place. That's probably like going on YouTube and seeing videos of Aboriginal drunks in Winnipeg though, so it's hardly an excuse.

dream

I think it's a cultural thing. The way anglophones pose questions is abrupt and to-the-point: "what time is it?," "how do I get to wherever?," etc. There's no inherent rudeness to it, but francophones tend to adorn their questions with a layer of decorum. To not do so is a bit jarring to them.

Really, all you need to say is "je suis desole de vous deranger"--"I'm sorry to bother you"--and French speakers tend to be perfectly fine with whatever you ask, even in English.

Megasoum

Banned
As someone who has only lived in English regions of Canada I'm just going off what I've heard/seen. I've seen a video or two of english speaking people being harassed on YouTube a few years back and it really turned me off the place. That's probably like going on YouTube and seeing videos of Aboriginal drunks in Winnipeg though, so it's hardly an excuse.

You can find morons in any languages on youtube... It's not representative of the general population.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Well, knowing at least a bit of french before moving into a french-speaking province would probably be better...!

Lots of people in Montréal don't speak french...

Ive been living in Montreal for a year now and I'd have to agree with this. I do speak Bonjour and basic things like that and few numbers but in no way I can make a conversation.

I think it's a cultural thing. The way anglophones pose questions is abrupt and to-the-point: "what time is it?," "how do I get to wherever?," etc. There's no inherent rudeness to it, but francophones tend to adorn their questions with a layer of decorum. To not do so is a bit jarring to them.

Really, all you need to say is "je suis desole de vous deranger"--"I'm sorry to bother you"--and French speakers tend to be perfectly fine with whatever you ask, even in English.

I dont mean to be rude but wouldn't it be the same to use "please" when asked in English? Like, "could you please help me, how do I get there?".

Well, knowing at least a bit of french before moving into a french-speaking province would probably be better...!

I have to agree with this. Them again, you can catch up on ut even after you make the move. So people thjbkng of switching, do it. It isnt a dralbreaker at all, the only thing that could be that bad are the roads, they're pure shit.

Zing

Banned
It's a miracle. Amazon shipped Mario Kart a day early, so I am scheduled to receive it tomorrow. This is the first on time delivery since amazon prime hit canada.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Futureshop also charged me for my MK8... and that was my very last tsilon E3 preorder.. almost exactly a year later... *tear*

MarkusRJR

Ive been living in Montreal for a year now and I'd have to agree with this. I do speak Bonjour and basic things like that and few numbers but in no way I can make a conversation.

I dont mean to be rude but wouldn't it be the same to use "please" when asked in English? Like, "could you please help me, how do I get there?".

I have to agree with this. Them again, you can catch up on ut even after you make the move. So people thjbkng of switching, do it. It isnt a dralbreaker at all, the only thing that could be that bad are the roads, they're pure shit.
Montreal's roads can't be worse than Winnipeg's/Manitoba's. The incredibly cold winters cause the roads the crack and get tons of massive potholes every summer. This summer alone there have been two of these fuckers:

sinkhole-4.jpg

1297561713258_ORIGINAL.jpg

One was on a major road too (the big one). So frustrating. Don't even get me started on our shitty transit system and the lack of bike lanes (and potholes near the edges of the roads so it's suicidal to bike).

QaaQer

Montreal's roads can't be worse than Winnipeg's/Manitoba's. The incredibly cold winters cause the roads the crack and get tons of massive potholes every summer. This summer alone there have been two of these fuckers:

One was on a major road too (the big one). So frustrating. Don't even get me started on our shitty transit system and the lack of bike lanes (and potholes near the edges of the roads so it's suicidal to bike).

I always thought it was because of the mob. not joking.

Dunlop

You don't need to speak French to live here, although the hardcore separatists will probably get on your back every chance they get. You can easily get around with English and "some" French, just the basics.

I'm an anglophone and have lived here all my life, who are these people you are talking about? Especially in Montreal

Seik

Banned
You don't need to speak French to live here, although the hardcore separatists will probably get on your back every chance they get. You can easily get around with English and "some" French, just the basics.

Nah, separatists just keep bitching on the social medias and the government (PQ's politicians. :p).

You won't see someone bitching straight live in front of you, most of the times, unless you fall on someone that...lacks proper education, if you catch my drift. OR if you're working in the public and speak only English to one of these, you're fucked.

Oh please, it's like the Marois episode never happened

I don't wanna even remember her, can't believed she passed, even for such little time.

Dunlop

Oh please, it's like the Marois episode never happened

That's politics it's not like they are at your door or anything (also they threw her to the curb in the last election),. Make an effort to speak french (you are in quebec) even as a courtesy and people are cool.

But I have never been anywhere where I was refused service if I spoke in english

Sorry I thought I was in a thread in the OT when I first posted lol, how did the sales thread get so derailed?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Saying that everybody who's for Quebec's independence is ignorant and uneducated is in itself pretty ignorant and insulting. Of course there will be stupid independentists, like there are stupid federalists. You should watch what you're saying a bit before making broad statements like that. It's in part because of reactions like this that there are so many confrontations between anglophones and francophones...

suikodan

Saying that everybody who's for Quebec's independence is ignorant and uneducated is in itself pretty ignorant and insulting. Of course there will be stupid independentists, like there are stupid federalists. You should watch what you're saying a bit before making broad statements like that. It's in part because of reactions like this that there are so many confrontations between anglophones and francophones...

Thanks for this.

It's quite unfortunate that we rely mostly on pictures like the one above and "statements" that are linked to them because on a human level, we can get along.

I met a japanese guy living in Winnipeg while on my trip to New-York and we spoke a lot about differences (and similarities) of our everyday life. It's easy to accept each other and can be quite fun as well.

I could say a lot of things about the ROC but lots of it wouldn't be true so I STFU and prefer meeting people right in the face.

How 'bout a Montreal-GAF meeting sometime? ;)

Back to topic: My MK8 shipped from FS. I'm 100% sure that I won't get it tomorrow...

Tsundere

Banned

You failed to read in context. My reply was specifying on "the hardcore separatists that get on your back" (about speaking English).

But alas, I don't think it constitutes a gaming deal :p

MDSLKTR

That's politics it's not like they are at your door or anything (also they threw her to the curb in the last election),. Make an effort to speak french (you are in quebec) even as a courtesy and people are cool.

But I have never been anywhere where I was refused service if I spoke in english

Sorry I thought I was in a thread in the OT when I first posted lol, how did the sales thread get so derailed?

Me personally I never had a problem since I'm bilingual but I have many english speaking friends in Laval/MTL area that got refused service over the phone because they didn't want to (or just couldn't) be served in french. And there was many ugly stories prior to the elections of STM employes refusing service and being dicks in general. Then there's the above pricks too.
Fortunately it seems to be calmer post-elections. But anyway I'm done derailing too lol

DJ_Lae

It's a miracle. Amazon shipped Mario Kart a day early, so I am scheduled to receive it tomorrow. This is the first on time delivery since amazon prime hit canada.

Damn. I actually canceled my Amazon order as it was estimated delivery for the 4th of June (and I have Prime so stuff like this generally ships two days early to arrive on time). Maybe it was a glitch.

Will just buy it from Future Shop or Walmart in store tomorrow. I wonder if Shoppers is silly enough to do another one of those 20% off coupons for tomorrow too.

Thanks for this.

It's quite unfortunate that we rely mostly on pictures like the one above and "statements" that are linked to them because on a human level, we can get along.

I met a japanese guy living in Winnipeg while on my trip to New-York and we spoke a lot about differences (and similarities) of our everyday life. It's easy to accept each other and can be quite fun as well.

I could say a lot of things about the ROC but lots of it wouldn't be true so I STFU and prefer meeting people right in the face.

How 'bout a Montreal-GAF meeting sometime? ;)

Back to topic: My MK8 shipped from FS. I'm 100% sure that I won't get it tomorrow...

I'm down for it. We just need to set something up.

RFD is still continuing to fight for the laptop, lawl.

That's RFD for you.

zroid

Banned
Still no news from FutureShop about MK8 shipping. At this rate I'm fully expecting to get it Monday -.-

Oh well.

it's still early... #believe

seriously though, it's early :p if your card's been charged then you have reason to be optimistic for now

Still no news from FutureShop about MK8 shipping. At this rate I'm fully expecting to get it Monday -.-

Oh well.

I generally check the website. The emails sometimes don't go out until late.

Sadly, still no shipping for me either.

If it isn't coming till Monday, I'm going digital.

krae_man

Mine will probably come late like Watch Dogs. I sent an email complaining and I got a generic email saying "public holidays could delay shipments" :lol

Top Bottom