• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

espher

Doesn't matter.

1) Buy the game at FS/BB. Keep receipt
2) Have fun while waiting for online copy
3) Go back to the same FS/BB and return the online copy (when it comes, not opened) with the receipt from step 1
4) Keep having fun

I might try this with a copy bought at Wal-Mart, tbh, just because I am far closer to Wal-Mart than FS and afaik the Wal-Mart near me doesn't slap a sticker on the shrink wrap anymore.

ohlawd

I've only had pleasant experiences at EB so :/

Goes like this every time

me: hey, this is all I want
EB: cool, want the warranty
me: nah
EB: that'll be blah blah blah
me: peace
EB: bai

same with preorders

me: I wanna preorder X for Y
EB: ok so... X, right?
me: right
EB: gotta put down $10
me: I'll pay for the entire thing
EB: cool
me: bai
EB: peace, broseph

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People who work at EB are still seemingly judged by pre-orders they make and warranties they can sell. I wouldn't be surprised if they're also all about the upsell now too... I kind of feel bad for them.

I've only had pleasant experiences at EB so :/

Goes like this every time

me: hey, this is all I want
EB: cool, want the warranty
me: nah
EB: that'll be blah blah blah
me: peace
EB: bai

same with preorders

me: I wanna preorder X for Y
EB: ok so... X, right?
me: right
EB: gotta put down $10
me: I'll pay for the entire thing
EB: cool
me: bai
EB: peace, broseph

Same. Generally the upsell stuff doesn't bother me either. As someone who has worked retail I know it's part of the gig. It's not the end of the world.

Zeeman

There aren't any trade-in deals anywhere for MK8, are there? I was really hoping FS and BB would bring those back eventually.

Guesong

I got my package! :D

And the person I trusted to answer the doorbell when I was away failed miserably!

*cry internally*

So quick question. When CP leaves you a notice saying "Pick it up HERE starting tommorow after 1 PM!", can I just...waltz in around 6 in the evening and pick it up regardless? Or do I HAVE to wait?

Messing with EBGames Canada on Twitter is god damn hilarious.

Read bottom up.
im7dxzu.png

KrTSjx4.png

iEjqE.gif

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So quick question. When CP leaves you a notice saying "Pick it up HERE starting tommorow after 1 PM!", can I just...waltz in around 6 in the evening and pick it up regardless? Or do I HAVE to wait?

Did it a few times. The clerk looked a bit pissed as I think they have to look through un-ordered packages, but I got my things!

kennah

And the person I trusted to answer the doorbell when I was away failed miserably!

*cry internally*

You gotta wait. It likely wouldn't be there until the next morning.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

*cry internally*

Once your tracking information states that it's arrived at a post office after missing delivery, you should be able to go and pick it up. At least that's how it's been for me.

Anony

*cry internally*

if the mail truck dropped of the packages at the pickup destination, then yes
chances are, if it's after 6pm, then the trucks already dumped the load already

*cry internally*

If you have tracking on the package, it'll tell you when the package is available for pick-up (you can tell because the relevant update will include a link to the post office holding your package). You can waltz in at that point no problem, because the package is in their system and everything.

You CAN go beforehand if you know the truck has already dropped off the package, but there are no guarantees. Where I live, the post office usually gets the undelivered packages by 7, but not always. If the package is there, they'll look through the unsorted mail (unless they're particularly grumpy or busy) and dig it out for you. If it's not, though, it's not. Come back later.

Dazzler

The staff at EB Games Cambie location in Vancouver aren't hugely focused on the upsell and are pretty knowledgable on games in my experience

Still wouldn't shop there because prices, though

Nibiru

Banned
There is massive turnover in retail stores how can anyone expect staff that actually care. Chances are the people that end up working there just want a friggin' job and other than fulfilling their mystery shop criteria they couldn't give a shit.

When you shop at eb or gamestop you will be offered attachments because that is literally were most of their money is made. If you don't like it then get your games elsewhere other than a collectors edition every now and then there is nothing they have that can't be bought at a Best Buy or whatever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, they have to ask is one thing, but my understanding is that they get called in for review if they don't sell enough preorders or warrantees.

It's almost like how traffic cops supposedly give out more tickets at the end of the month because they have to meet a quota.

Dazzler

When I worked at HMV people were fired for not upselling warranties on games

Shitty thing was, we had to ask for DS games, which nobody in their right mind is going to buy, so if you sold a shit load of DS games your figures were screwed

Pricing aside, most of my experiences in EB have been fairly positive. There was one time at a (hometown) Windsor location where the guy was hyping up the Xbone after I said I had a PS4 instead, and talking bad about the PS4, and it was kind of silly. Clearly a homer but what can ya do.

Quick

Banned
EB horror stories? EB horror stories!

When I picked up my PS4 at Vaughan Mills Mall, the employee asked me if I wanted to buy everything. A transaction that would usually take a couple of minutes took almost 10 minutes because he wouldn't take "I just want the PS4 and Infamous" for an answer. I almost walked out.

What's even worse had to be when he was trying to scare me into getting warranties.

"You need to get a warranty from us. PS4 is known for overheating, and we'll give you a new one if yours does. Mine did and I got my warranty here."

"You need a game protection for Infamous since you'll be playing it so much."

When I refused both, I repeated myself again: "I just want the PS4 and Infamous."

And that tactic is pretty common, it seems. An employee at the Eaton Centre location pulled the same shit at me when I picked up MLB 14: The Show.

"Sports games are gonna scratch easy from how much they're played. You should get our protection for it."

The EB I usually go to know me well enough, so they know I won't buy anything else except the game.

There was a thread on RFD with coupon codes for an Amazon store....not sure if it's still around though

Did a quick search and found that thread. It's from 2013, but I think it's still valid. I'll go through it more in detail. Thanks.

Not sure of this is a new deal or not, but at the Shoppers in the underground mall in winnipeg, they had Mario and Luigi Dream team for 3DS on clearance for $19.99.

ohlawd

Same. Generally the upsell stuff doesn't bother me either. As someone who has worked retail I know it's part of the gig. It's not the end of the world.

my EB don't even recommend me stuff. I think they noticed that I only buy niche Japanese games.

The cashier peeps there aren't going to inform themselves of some weird Japanese shit when there are only 2-3 people at that store buying that stuff :3

At one point, I poked fun when I preordered Bravely Default there

me: hmm I'm probably the only person who had preordered BD
EB: no actually one of our guys did, you're our second
me: oh yeah? that's cool

Tsundere

Banned
EB horror stories? EB horror stories!

When I picked up my PS4 at Vaughan Mills Mall, the employee asked me if I wanted to buy everything. A transaction that would usually take a couple of minutes took almost 10 minutes because he wouldn't take "I just want the PS4 and Infamous" for an answer. I almost walked out.

What's even worse had to be when he was trying to scare me into getting warranties.

"You need to get a warranty from us. PS4 is known for overheating, and we'll give you a new one if yours does. Mine did and I got my warranty here."

"You need a game protection for Infamous since you'll be playing it so much."

When I refused both, I repeated myself again: "I just want the PS4 and Infamous."

And that tactic is pretty common, it seems. An employee at the Eaton Centre location pulled the same shit at me when I picked up MLB 14: The Show.

"Sports games are gonna scratch easy from how much they're played. You should get our protection for it."

The EB I usually go to know me well enough, so they know I won't buy anything else except the game.

Did a quick search and found that thread. It's from 2013, but I think it's still valid. I'll go through it more in detail. Thanks.

I just tell them before hand: "I know you've got a lot of s*** to tell me, so let's agree that you told me and that I declined everything".

But my EB Games knows me so they never tell me it now anyway.

Zing

Banned
I accidentally left my old address on my amazon preorder. I saw it was out for delivery, so I drove over to that side of town and rode around looking for the mail lady. I found her a couple streets over and got my package!

mission-accomplished.jpg

Now to eat lunch and start the karting fun.

I have stopped going to EB games permanently ever since I realized future shop delivers pre-ordered games on day one. Combine that with their great sales. Really no point of going into there. Even for trading stuff in they aren't so hot.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

*cry internally*

from my experience you have to wait. I tried the evening thing once but the driver kept the package on his truck until the end of his shift at like 9pm

krae_man

from my experience you have to wait. I tried the evening thing once but the driver kept the package on his truck until the end of his shift at like 9pm

*cry internally*

In my experience it's always available at the outlet the same day. But check online before you go. Make sure it says "Item available at post office for pickup". My delivery person usually drops off the undelivered stuff around 5pm same day.

RE_Player

I had a bad experience with my local EB and haven't been there in 2 years. Here's a pro tip, before you call a higher up to complain about the service you received make sure you don't have any pre-orders left. After going through a higher up and getting this manager in trouble I had to go in a couple weeks later to pick up my last pre-order. The most awkward thing I've ever experienced. He was apologizing every step of the transaction and following me out the door.

DJ_Lae

The only bad experience I had at EB recently was with my Saints Row super mega collector's edition. I tried to return it in store, couldn't because it had no sku, and spent forever on hold with someone trying to figure out if it could have been worked out somehow. Nope.

I don't see why a manager couldn't have made an exception, refunded me my money and then dealt with returning it to the warehouse themselves, but I'd guess they still have a weird and annoying disconnect between retail and online (as some stores apparently will not take online returns or only give store credit).

Walmart was bad too with one woman refusing to replace a non-working copy of How to Train Your Dragon because it was open. She kept quoting return policy, and in a sense she's not wrong because for some stupid reason the Canadian version does not include an exception for replacement of defective video/software where the US one does. But man was she stubborn.

The rest of my EB experiences have been great. Most of my younger purchases were done at Village Green in Vernon and the guys working there were great. After that it was mostly Hillside Mall in Victoria, and that manager (don't think he's worked there for 8 years now) was awesome, with my wife telling me a story about him hauling ass out of the store and tackling a shoplifter.

Dudes there even had a copy of Planescape Torment that they gave me for free ages ago because it no longer had an entry in their system.

And here in Edmonton the people at City Centre are fine. The one woman and big bearded guy are friendly, the other blone girl who works there seems to know absolutely nothing about games at all.

edit - the longer I want to go to the mall to buy Mario Kart from Shoppers, I know they won't have it.

iLLmAtlc

Haven't stepped foot in an EB since like 2010 and couldn't be happier for it.

I know they're just doing their jobs but it makes shopping there not fun.

PS: FS clearance price updates:

Hitman Absolution Pro Edition: 10 bucks (sold out everywhere but Abbotsford)

ACIV LE: 30 bucks

COD Ghosts Prestiage Edition: 70 bucks

Quadratic

has anyone seen Mario Kart 8 at Shoppers Drugmart? I don't know if they stock games on release day. I have a Optimum coupon for $20 off $75. I plan on buying the game and some shampoo lol.

Gritesh

Why do people even pre order? Every game is available day one on the shelf at any retailer I have only maybe once in my life had a hard time securing a copy sans pre order.

The only pre ordering I will ever do is when it's cheaper as in the Futureshop e3 deals.

Also I haven't stepped into or purchased anything from El or gamestop in years and probably never will again.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The only issue I've ever had with EB has been with their prices. Never had an issue dealing with them.

Takuan

Positive EB experience:

I preordered MGR: Revengeance from both EB and Future Shop; EB had the promotional artbook, and FS had the lower price. I wanted to keep the artbook, but didn't want to pay the premium for it, so I went to EB to return it. When asked about the artbook, I told them I tossed it thinking it was just an ad catalog. There were two individuals working the counter, and while one of them processed the return, the other went to the back room and came back with an artbook + pre-order DLC card in a bag and handed it to me.

I was returning a game I had purchased at a competitor, and they were rewarding me for it. Reasoning? "We hope that you'll buy from us next time." If I had been honest and returned it with the art book, they most likely would've let me keep it.

So now I have two art books, and both remind me of that time I told dirty, dirty lies.

Initially negative EB experience turned positive:

EB was having a trade-in promo where they were offering $50 additional credit if you were trading in an old console toward a new one, and more money per x games traded in along with it (I don't remember the details of that one). So I traded in the 360 I wasn't using, along with a handful of old PS3 games that I was done with. Everything added up to about $170 in credit, and I put it toward a Vita pre-order.

When the Vita came out, my hype levels had dropped significantly and I decided to take a wait-and-see approach to the handheld, allowing the pre-order to sit.

It sat there for damned near a year, and it became clear I didn't want one anymore. So I went to the EB where I'd made the preorder and told them I wasn't interested in the Vita and would rather just take the cash. No dice. If I wanted cash, I wouldn't get the promotional credit (understandable), but also the credit from the games would be re-evaluated based on their value to date, which had obviously gone down in the 7-8 month time period since I'd originally traded them in (u WOT). When all was said and done the original $170 trade-in credit diminished into just under ~$70. I had to put it toward a console to get the original credit amount. Problem is I didn't want any consoles; I had a PS3 and Wii, and I wasn't about to buy another 360 after having traded mine in.

Then I noticed the new batch of Wii U Deluxe units to the side of the counter. "How about those? Are those spoken for? Do they even qualify?"

"Yeah, as long as it's a console. You're lucky, because these just came in this afternoon and they're up for grabs."

"Let's do it, then."

This was right around the time of the Wii U's release, and it was relatively difficult to find. Moreover, at the time of the trade-in promo, I don't think the Wii U was even a thing (they weren't taking pre-orders for the Wii U then, that's for sure). Anyway, I wound up selling the U for a small profit and was quite happy with the turn of events. I really don't think they were supposed to allow it, but for whatever reason they did and I came away happy.

So yeah, EB isn't all that bad. I'd still rather order from Future Shop/Best Buy, though.

gzero

I have stopped going to EB games permanently ever since I realized future shop delivers pre-ordered games on day one. Combine that with their great sales. Really no point of going into there. Even for trading stuff in they aren't so hot.

You're lucky. FS managed to get me Watch_Dogs on Thursday and they didn't ship Mario Kart until late last night.

ultra7k

Random EB Experiences:

Had pre-ordered a game about a month and a half in advance of it's release. Pretty much paid and all. Turns out I was going to be leaving the country during it's release time, so I communicated that to the cashier who said they might not be able to hold it. After all, they can't hold on to a product that's been paid for indefinitely. They are happy to take my money months in advance, but can't hold the game for a couple weeks considering extenuating circumstances.

Wait, what? I paid for this, and you're going to sell it? I asked for the manager by name (I went to school with the guy for years) and she told me that he wasn't in.

Anyways fast forward a few weeks, past the release date and I got a Facebook message from the manager who told me not to worry. All in all, my game was held and I picked it up upon release.

Basically when I deal with the manager he's great, he knows what he's doing and he provides great service.

Other times I go in, I get this:

EB: Hi.
Me: Hi.
EB: Can I help you find anything?
Me: No thanks, just looking for now.
EB: Let me know if you need anything.

Up to here, that's fine. A few minutes later to break the awkward silence:

EB: What systems do you have?
Me: (clearly looking at 3DS games) uhh, a 3DS...and other stuff?
EB: Oh, can we help you find anything? I hear ABCXYZ is really good.
Me: No, I'm still just looking. Thanks.
EB: Ok, let us know if we can help you find anything.
Me: Sure thing...

If I make a purchase, I usually get the "oh I haven't played this but I hear it's really good!" line. Then they ask me about all the stuff they need to upsell, and I politely decline.

The long and the short of it is, I get it, they are doing their job. I'm not unsympathetic to it, I used to work retail for 9 years and I know what it's like on the other side. That being said, there's a way to go about it without being...brain dead about it.

It's happened to me on more occasions I can count and it's actually quite off putting. To me, it seems like they are just reading from a script, not to mention it takes like 10 minutes to process 3 people in line.

Ah well.

My only issue with EBGames is that I had to replace my used 3DS and got one with a replaced shell on the top half, it looks horrible as it's half black but there was nothing that I could do as it was the final used 3DS they had. It took me a century to transfer over my games too as I had to update it on my phone's terrible 3G. All in all, it just makes me want to upgrade to an XL as this shell is larger so I know cases won't fit :(

Here's how it looks, part of me actually wants to get a replacement, but I only have an Edge platinum card and no warranty.

rawd

How it went for me before I cut them off

me: I'm picking up this game I pre-ordered
EB: here you go, take care
me: what about the pre-order bonus code
EB: oh ummmm... see the thing is... wait
EB: we should have them later today.. you have to come back
me: you're joking
me: this is ridiculous
EB: the suppliers dont always send blah blah blah

later that day
phone call before I head back

me: do you have the pre-order codes yet for my game
EB: hold on
EB: we gave them all out , we should have some more tomorrow

Happened twice to me... Have never bought from them ever again. BB 4 life

Come on guys you haven't figured out the way to shut up EB games people about warranties?

As soon as they open their mouths I always say "it's not made by EA so I don't need an extra warranty"

And usually they are too stunned to keep asking.

Hyunkel6

Never had any negative experiences with EB except for one very minor annoyance:

Me: Hello. That will be all.
Him: Want the guarantee with that? Only $5 for 1 year. Anything happens, we'll get you a brand new one.
Me: Thanks, but I take care of all my games. Never had any issues.
Him: I take care of all my games too, but they can easily break.
Me: ...
Him: ...
Me: No thanks.
Him: ...Ok. Here you go.

8 years ago, when I was buying a DS at Futureshop, the employee was hounding me to buy screen protectors.

Him: You might want to also buy screen protectors with the DS.
Me: No thanks. I don't think I'll have any use for them.
Him: Are you sure? Those are expensive machines. Better safe that sorry.
Me: I just don't really see the use for screen protectors.
Him: Well, sometimes the pixels on the screen randomly fly out. (Hs exact words)

I was only 17-18 back then, but even I knew that was ridiculous. I tried so hard to not laugh in his face, but I think he saw it on my face and just silently proceeded with the checkout.

Top Bottom