• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

UberTag

Edit: is the Vita 2K really that good compared to the OG?
I might get a Japanese colored one if I get convinced to buy one :D
I adore my Lime+White model.
It's improved in just about every way except the screen... and the screen is more of a subjective difference than anything.

My old Vita's been sitting around abandoned since I made the switch. I should probably trade it in for some credit or something.

EB horror stories? EB horror stories!

When I picked up my PS4 at Vaughan Mills Mall, the employee asked me if I wanted to buy everything. A transaction that would usually take a couple of minutes took almost 10 minutes because he wouldn't take "I just want the PS4 and Infamous" for an answer. I almost walked out.

What's even worse had to be when he was trying to scare me into getting warranties.

"You need to get a warranty from us. PS4 is known for overheating, and we'll give you a new one if yours does. Mine did and I got my warranty here."

"You need a game protection for Infamous since you'll be playing it so much."

When I refused both, I repeated myself again: "I just want the PS4 and Infamous."

And that tactic is pretty common, it seems. An employee at the Eaton Centre location pulled the same shit at me when I picked up MLB 14: The Show.

"Sports games are gonna scratch easy from how much they're played. You should get our protection for it."

The EB I usually go to know me well enough, so they know I won't buy anything else except the game.

God damn I had the exact same experience when I went to go buy Dynasty Warriors 8 CE for my PS4 at that large EB Games location near the Toronto Eaton Center. Me and my friend got our copies at the same time and the guy basically kept asking stuff like if anything we owned that was PS4 related broke and how we should get extended warranties with them. Like he brought up how my Dualshock 4's should be breaking around now or something.

Quadratic

Cheapest place to get iPhone 4, 5, mini and micro-USB cables/adapters in Toronto?

Canada computers?

No joke. I've seen iPhone 4 cables at Dollarama. iPhone 5 cables you probably need to go to a computer store and get a 3rd party one for ~12-15 dollars I think. That's what monoprice sells them for and I expect a markup at brick and mortar.

EBgames is great.I do not understand the disdain towards EB. A few years ago I bought the game protection warranty on a game I just had purchased from them. When I got home to my surprise my game didnt work. There was so sound. Absolutely no sound whatsoever. At this point I was fuming and I demanded my mom to take me back to the mall.

When I got to the store I told the jackass working there that he sold me a dirty disc and I demanded a new one. I verbally assaulted the employee on how he was an idiot for selling me a faulty product and he took all of it. I let off on him, and I swear if he was going to interrupt me during my onslaught, heads were gonna roll. He was calm and kept his composure throughout the whole tirade and finally said he will exchange the game no questions asked because I got the game protection warranty. Just as he was going to get me a new copy of the game, he asked me if I was sure my TV wasnt on mute or anything. I said no and called him a fool for assuming such a thing.

When I arrived home and turned on the TV I saw that in fact the TV was on mute. So the game protection was worth it because I got an even newer copy of the game, no questions asked.

Tagg9

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new computer monitor. Any suggestions? I'd like something with at least a 1080p display and under $200.

MesH

I haven't lived there for some 5 years now. Can't say I miss it though, 😋

From Windsor here also, got to agree with you man. Just went back for 10 days, miss the people but not the city. Been in Edmonton, AB for 12 years now and love it here.

Omlagus

EBgames is great.I do not understand the disdain towards EB. A few years ago I bought the game protection warranty on a game I just had purchased from them. When I got home to my surprise my game didnt work. There was so sound. Absolutely no sound whatsoever. At this point I was fuming and I demanded my mom to take me back to the mall.

When I got to the store I told the jackass working there that he sold me a dirty disc and I demanded a new one. I verbally assaulted the employee on how he was an idiot for selling me a faulty product and he took all of it. I let off on him, and I swear if he was going to interrupt me during my onslaught, heads were gonna roll. He was calm and kept his composure throughout the whole tirade and finally said he will exchange the game no questions asked because I got the game protection warranty. Just as he was going to get me a new copy of the game, he asked me if I was sure my TV wasnt on mute or anything. I said no and called him a fool for assuming such a thing.

When I arrived home and turned on the TV I saw that in fact the TV was on mute. So the game protection was worth it because I got an even newer copy of the game, no questions asked.

That's absurd. If it was actually defective the first time you tried it they should exchange it regardless of whether you bought their silly warranty or not.

got my Mario Kart 8 E3 Pre-order in the mail yesterday. I don't have a club Nintendo account, so do I simply sign up, register the game code, and then redeem one of the four games in the promo? If so, that's sweet, Basiclally 22.50 for Mario Kart and a game of my choice?

got my Mario Kart 8 E3 Pre-order in the mail yesterday. I don't have a club Nintendo account, so do I simply sign up, register the game code, and then redeem one of the four games in the promo? If so, that's sweet, Basiclally 22.50 for Mario Kart and a game of my choice?

Yep that's how it should work. The deal expires the last day of July I think so I think I'll wait out on Mario Kart until like mid-July.

bryt

Does anyone know if 48 hour XBOX live trial codes have any region restrictions? I want to buy one from ebay, but not sure if it will work in Canada.

Tagg9

Asus, Samsung, Dell, LG

Do you care about lag? portrait mode? speakers? etc.

I don't really care about lag. Portrait mode would be nice but not required. Speakers is unnecessary.

I've been thinking of buying one too, and I've heard ASUS VS228HP is pretty good. BB has it for $138.98.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=d084c73ab02d0ed4b6bce88e18684289en02

What makes that model good? I've seen cheaper models with similar specs.

So about my 3DS with the terrible replacement shell earlier in the thread, called my EBGames and they pretty much had no interest in talking to me because I didn't have a warranty. Thing is, I wanted to sort this out back in the warranty period, but I had to deal with work for most of the time. Plus when I traded in my other 3DS for this one I spent three hours updating the 3DS from my phone's 3G, and I really didn't want to have to do that again.

Oh well, I guess I'm stuck with it. Mainly sucks because no cases will fit on it and I really wanted to get the Megaman 3DS Anniversary Case.

I adore my Lime+White model.
It's improved in just about every way except the screen... and the screen is more of a subjective difference than anything.

My old Vita's been sitting around abandoned since I made the switch. I should probably trade it in for some credit or something.

Yeah that's the colour I have in mind but I'm just concerned about the X,O inverted usage in system menus plus the fact that I have two OG Vitas in white and black.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did you guys know that Nintendo is offering a FREE digital WiiU game for those who register Mario Kart 8 for WiiU on their Club Nintendo account.

Available titles for free:
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U

https://club.nintendo.com

EDIT: There's a huge thread on RFD about it, just noticed.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/club-nintendo-mario-kart-8-get-free-wiiu-digital-title-registration-1477031/
There's a huge GAF thread about it too!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I sort of understood the "HD" upgrades of last gen, but are you guys really excited to play a 1 year old game all over again? lol

I sort of understood the "HD" upgrades of last gen, but are you guys really excited to play a 1 year old game all over again? lol

I hear you man. Been holding off for a pc release and hoping E3 is when they'll announce it.

Thing is I among so many people never played it in the first place hoping it'll be released on new generation consoles/ PC but I'm giving it until E3 then I might just play it on PS3, even though I can't withstand its controller anymore :(

khaaan

You would have got the return even without the policy. As long as the disc is not scratched they will replace it within 30 days if you claims it's defective:
Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition. We reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products. Defective product(s) will be replaced with a like item, upon return. Terms and conditions of manufacturer's warranty apply to defective video games systems and computer hardware after 30 days.
http://www.ebgames.ca/gs/help/Returns.aspx

Zing

Banned

Terrible joke post.

hilarious_2.jpg

Did you guys know that Nintendo is offering a FREE digital WiiU game for those who register Mario Kart 8 for WiiU on their Club Nintendo account.

Available titles for free:
Pikmin 3
New Super Mario Bros. U
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Wii Party U

https://club.nintendo.com

EDIT: There's a huge thread on RFD about it, just noticed.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/club-nintendo-mario-kart-8-get-free-wiiu-digital-title-registration-1477031/

I have Zelda and Mario, so it's between Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U for me.

My gut says Pikmin 3 since it's a real game, but I've never been a true Pikmin fan (I passed over Pikmin 2 after playing Pikmin 3). but does Wii Party U have any merit?

Top Bottom