• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Had a Negative/Humerous EB experience to tell:

Literally every time ago, even though these people see me constantly, they always make sure to ask 3 times for disc protection. I have never once agreed. About 2 years ago I am getting a 360 game. I get to the counter go through the motions and am asked if I want disc protection.

I say no, but am once again prompted this time with how it covers for the full year. Again I state no. Then the girl tells me that the disc is made in mexico so its best to get the disc protect. I am annoyed so I tell her thats a racist comment. Associating the sterotype for mexico and cheap crap. She stutters and has no idea what to do.

Unfortunatly, the manager is right behind her and jumps in. He tells me that shes not a racist. He goes on a schpeal about how its an eco-disc, therefore weaker. I question why she didn't mention that instead of just saying made in mexico. Was she supposed to assume that I knew it was an eco disc factory.

Guy apologizes for the confusion and cashes me out ASAP.

I swear the crafty ideas they come up with to get you to buy that scam insurance. They must have a paper in the back listing all the methods to get people to buy it. I watched a 5 minute discussion on it happen just to get a guy to buy it.

farisr

My ebgames experiences have been usually chill, and the staff actually seems knowledgable, heck sometimes just talking amongst themselves about various upcoming games/rumors or what they played last week both guys and gals. Looks like whoever does the hiring around here has some good practices/actually places an importance in games knowledge.

Also they don't seem to be bothered with preorders/warranties etc all that much. They don't try to come up with BS exaggerated reasons to sell you a warranty, just go "if this goes bad, and you have the warranty it'll be replaced, you interested? no? okay." I've never once been asked to preorder something, even if I was picking up a preorder for a game in the same genre, nor have I seen them asking anyone else to preorder.

But yeah, I don't go there often though, due to the pricing. Go there only when there's a good sale on, or some good trade-in deals that will get me around the same money if I were to sell those games myself, just saving me from the extra hassle of listing, communicating with other people and negotiating.

btkadams

Messing with EBGames Canada on Twitter is god damn hilarious.

Read bottom up.
im7dxzu.png

KrTSjx4.png
Why??? This seems like a waste of both parties' time.

UberTag

In this thread I learned that Haziq is over-qualified to work at EB Games.
(Anyone competent enough to do that job well is either smart enough to know NOT to work there... or is running the store.)

the EBGames twitter rep seems pretty great, told me to contact my local store and they might be able to do something, despite the lack of warranty.

Cudder

I'm the king troll of Twitter. Pretty sure Drake hates me, I always tweet him.

One day he'll respond.

Give me a break, you're not that important.

But I'm sure Drake will, one day, read tweets that mention him, and single you out and respond to you directly. I'm sure of it.

When I picked up Pokemon X, the EB employee suggested I get the warranty because of a "game breaking bug that can corrupt your save file". While true, I don't think that's a valid excuse to get a new copy of it...

frequency

The only thing I have to say about EBGames is they tried to charge my card twice for $99,999.00 for no reason (I didn't have any order coming from them at the time of the charges). Locking us out of our account twice.

And then never getting back to me about what happened. When we contacted them again they just said it wasn't in their system or something. Another NeoGAF member gave me an email of someone higher up to contact but nothing ever came of that either.

I used to like EBGames a lot but with that and the prices now they just make me sad.

Never had a problem with upselling in stores though.

Read bottom up.
im7dxzu.png

KrTSjx4.png

I don't get it? Where's the hilarious part?

btkadams

Is MK out today, or tomorrow? I know the release date is tomorrow but it seems like lots of people are getting it somehow. Is a store selling it already? No streetdate?

DJ_Lae

Not sure how many Shoppers' locations are doing the random gift card promo early but at the location I went to (upper one at City Centre) I apparently could have qualified for the $20-$50 gift card on top of the $20 off coupon I used.

And in hindsight I should have - they apparently have the pro controller on sale for $45 which would have netted me $20 off and at least another $20 off my next purchase from them.

But no, I elected to buy toothpaste with Mario Kart and not spend an extra $18 for the bonus gift card.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Give me a break, you're not that important.

But I'm sure Drake will, one day, read tweets that mention him, and single you out and respond to you directly. I'm sure of it.
Like a kit kat?

One day he'll take a shot for me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's their job to offer these things. Don't like it, don't shop there.
Exactly. It's not like they're grabbing you as you walk by and dragging you into the store. I'm surprised we don't get "EB asked me if I want a warranty, what should I do?" threads.

wishdom

For those of you that didn't order MK8 yet, NCIX offers free express shipping, and you only have to pay GST tax (5%), which ends up cheaper than FS/BB/Amazon. - 68.24$

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh God, I walked into a store and people did their job harmlessly. Nnngggggg.

5(155).png

Personally, I love the Australian manager at the Merivale EB Games in Ottawa. Friendly guy. We pretty much do all our business there (pre-ordered Senran Kagura today - which is misspelled in their system as Senran Lagura).

Lexxism

I remember someone posted the Mario and Luigi Wii wheel at amazon. Are there any stores have those or just amazon?

I'm playing off-tv right now though, so GamePad it is!

I'm really uncomfortable when playing it with gamepad. I guess it's either I got used playing with PSV-2000 and the same time playing for a while.

Tuck

Wow Best Buy gave Mario Kart monstrous coverage in this weeks flyer. Hope it helps. My copy arrived today but I have no Wii U to play it on.

Personally, I love the Australian manager at the Merivale EB Games in Ottawa. Friendly guy. We pretty much do all our business there (pre-ordered Senran Kagura today - which is misspelled in their system as Senran Lagura).

Wait, are EB Games taking pre-orders for Senran Kagura SV's LE? I've been checking their website and Amazon.ca like everyday now and so far nothing yet.

Wow Best Buy gave Mario Kart monstrous coverage in this weeks flyer. Hope it helps. My copy arrived today but I have no Wii U to play it on.

I think you mean Nintendo paid for monstrous Mario Kart coverage ;)

I hope it helps too. The game is perfect.

Luigi87

Well this is a new one for me...
Ordered a GBA backlight mod. Shipped from China.

Over a week later it arrives in Richmond... Dunno if BC or ON (I'm in ON).

Three days later, now I get from Canada Post's tracking

We were not able to find any results

Tracking information is not available for this item. For further assistance please visit the Support section.

UberTag

You should have asked the rep how long he thinks games will be $10 more over here.
An educated guess would be that it will remain $10 more expensive indefinitely... or at least until the loonie gets back within striking distance of parity (i.e. 98 cents US).

espher

Well, Future Shop processed and shipped my MK8 order today, so at least I don't have to worry about the surprise cancellation e-mail.

Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll be here before next weekend...

Vibranium

Banned
An educated guess would be that it will remain $10 more expensive indefinitely... or at least until the loonie gets back within striking distance of parity (i.e. 98 cents US).

Oh I know that, I meant to mess with the guy ;)

Also, they will revert it as soon as it gets close, because apparently retailer games sales are suffering in Canada (forgot where I heard this, but it's no surprise haha).

Cynar

Read bottom up.
im7dxzu.png

KrTSjx4.png
Have you ever worked a retail job? I let them go through their pitch and politely refuse. There is no need to be a dick about it. If you want to be like that you should just stick to ordering online.

Sealtest

2014/05/30 23:43 MISSISSAUGA Electronic information submitted by shipper.
04:52 MISSISSAUGA In transit
02:03 MISSISSAUGA Item processed

Good thing i found a copy of mk8 2 rent, This shipment was screwed from the get go.
I have never had an item processed then go into transit just sit somewhere for 17 hours without an update, specially going from Mississauga to Windsor.

You're lucky. FS managed to get me Watch_Dogs on Thursday and they didn't ship Mario Kart until late last night.
that sucks. guess it depends where you live. Love that they anticpiate holidays as well. I remember it was a long weekend so they shipped it a day early for me so I'd get the game I bought on the tuesday it was being released since on monday mail service wasn't happening.

Quick

Banned
I just tell them before hand: "I know you've got a lot of s*** to tell me, so let's agree that you told me and that I declined everything".

But my EB Games knows me so they never tell me it now anyway.

I should've, but I thought "this is all I want" was clear. That would be the only time I've ever gotten remotely upset over upselling, though. I wasn't rude to him, I just smiled through it and repeated myself.

I have my own EB, and they know me well enough.

Cheerilee

I just tell them before hand: "I know you've got a lot of s*** to tell me, so let's agree that you told me and that I declined everything".

But my EB Games knows me so they never tell me it now anyway.

The problem isn't that they have to ask, it's that they have a quota.

Soccer mom comes in to buy a PS4 for little Timmy, and they scare her into buying a warranty, saying that it might overheat and flush her money down the toilet. That's it, mission accomplished. They can sit back and relax for the rest of the month without worry. They just annoy you slightly, because they're required to ask, even if they made their quota.

But what if soccer mom doesn't come in? There has been no victim lately. The sand in the hourglass is running out. Their shtick is going to have to work on one of the "polite decliners". It's not working. Things are getting desperate. Their job is on the line. How will they pay the rent if they get fired? How will they eat? You walk in the door. It has to be you. Time is running out. If they can't break you, what chance do they have of breaking the next guy?

It stops being so casual around that time.

Sora_N

EB horror stories? EB horror stories!

When I picked up my PS4 at Vaughan Mills Mall, the employee asked me if I wanted to buy everything. A transaction that would usually take a couple of minutes took almost 10 minutes because he wouldn't take "I just want the PS4 and Infamous" for an answer. I almost walked out.

What's even worse had to be when he was trying to scare me into getting warranties.

"You need to get a warranty from us. PS4 is known for overheating, and we'll give you a new one if yours does. Mine did and I got my warranty here."

"You need a game protection for Infamous since you'll be playing it so much."

When I refused both, I repeated myself again: "I just want the PS4 and Infamous."

And that tactic is pretty common, it seems. An employee at the Eaton Centre location pulled the same shit at me when I picked up MLB 14: The Show.

"Sports games are gonna scratch easy from how much they're played. You should get our protection for it."

The EB I usually go to know me well enough, so they know I won't buy anything else except the game.

Did a quick search and found that thread. It's from 2013, but I think it's still valid. I'll go through it more in detail. Thanks.

I never get that from the stores I go to. Thank god. My politeish refusal is usually enough.

I had other issues with one employee at one store for being a douche about refunds though.

I rarely go to EB but they usually drop prices faster because they're more informed.

I remember someone posted the Mario and Luigi Wii wheel at amazon. Are there any stores have those or just amazon?

I'm really uncomfortable when playing it with gamepad. I guess it's either I got used playing with PSV-2000 and the same time playing for a while.

I posted about those wheels and I couldn't find them anywhere but Amazon, only Mario's one is in transit and Luigi's will be released a month from now! I can post pics of the Mario wheel when it comes here :)

Edit: is the Vita 2K really that good compared to the OG?
I might get a Japanese colored one if I get convinced to buy one :D

Liberty4all

Banned
Hey I noticed Watch Dogs was 59.99 at Costco but 69.99 everywhere else.

Is Costco holding to the 59.99 price point on new releases?

Top Bottom