• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

daevv

Anyone order stuff from thinkgeek.com before? I'm wondering if you were charged any customs/brokerage fees upon arrival. Thanks!

kitzkozan

I sort of understood the "HD" upgrades of last gen, but are you guys really excited to play a 1 year old game all over again? lol

The thing is that I didn't even play GTA V despite the fact that I pre-ordered it lol. I quickly sold it back in order to finance my PS4 so I barely lost money on it. I decided to sell it back when I heard about various performance issues which is normal given how old the last gen consoles were. Combine that with the hassle of installing the first disc to the HDD and the play disc on a USB thumb drive to get the maximum performance out of the 360 version and it was clear that the game was too ambitious for the platform it was released on.

A PS4 version with 60 fps would be sweet, especially if it includes the upcoming DLC which would make sense as they would charge full price for it (just like The Last of Us).

DrEvil

not a medical professional
how does the paypal promo works? Do I need a code or is it automatically applied when i use paypal on shop.ca?

You'll only get it if you received an email from PayPal saying you had $25 to spend at shop.ca. It will apply a savings of $25 when you pay with paypal and choose your funding source (on PayPal.com). Otherwise you'll get no savings.

jzbluz

You'll only get it if you received an email from PayPal saying you had $25 to spend at shop.ca. It will apply a savings of $25 when you pay with paypal and choose your funding source (on PayPal.com). Otherwise you'll get no savings.

Nah, I never got the email and I still got the discount.

I've heard there's going to be a mega redemption event at SDM this weekend. 50,000=$120, 95,000=$220.

Tagg9

Anyone order stuff from thinkgeek.com before? I'm wondering if you were charged any customs/brokerage fees upon arrival. Thanks!

Yes, I have ordered from them in the past and was charged A TON in customs fees. I ordered about $80 worth of stuff and had to pay ~$30 in additional fees when it got to my door. Note that I used DHL... it's possible that another shipping option might not be as bad.

iphys

I used the mail option, as at worst I'd have to pay a $10 fee plus HST, but my $70 package got through without getting dinged by customs, which seems to happen half the time with Canada Post. At first I freaked out when they sent me a UPS tracking number, but it turns out they just use UPS to pick it up and put it into the mail system and Canada Post ultimately delivers it. If you have something shipped to Canada over $20 and a shipping company like UPS or DHL does the customs clearance, pretty much guaranteed they won't miss the opportunity to figure out it's taxable so they can charge you huge brokerage fees for collecting the taxes from you.

so I just learnt about the club nintendo rewards stuff as I was registering Mario Kart 8. Turns out I have a whole generation of Wii games that count towards it as well as my Wii U. I now have 600 coins and "Platinum" status, any word on what "Platinum" rewards will be this year? Sounds pretty sweet!

jholmes

I have Zelda and Mario, so it's between Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U for me.

My gut says Pikmin 3 since it's a real game, but I've never been a true Pikmin fan (I passed over Pikmin 2 after playing Pikmin 3). but does Wii Party U have any merit?

There's some neat stuff in Wii Party U, even aside from the main game. It'd be the last of the four I'd get but it is worth getting.

daevv

I have but I order it to my office building and was never informed of fees.

Yes, I have ordered from them in the past and was charged A TON in customs fees. I ordered about $80 worth of stuff and had to pay ~$30 in additional fees when it got to my door. Note that I used DHL... it's possible that another shipping option might not be as bad.

I used the mail option, as at worst I'd have to pay a $10 fee plus HST, but my $70 package got through without getting dinged by customs, which seems to happen half the time with Canada Post. At first I freaked out when they sent me a UPS tracking number, but it turns out they just use UPS to pick it up and put it into the mail system and Canada Post ultimately delivers it. If you have something shipped to Canada over $20 and a shipping company like UPS or DHL does the customs clearance, pretty much guaranteed they won't miss the opportunity to figure out it's taxable so they can charge you huge brokerage fees for collecting the taxes from you.

Thanks for the info!

I ordered a Minecraft Redstone touch light (LINK). It weights under 1 pound and with the cheapest shipping the whole total was only $22. Hopefully if I do get dinged with extra charges it won't be too much. Extra charges or not it should still be cheaper than the eBay alternative.

Tik-Tok

Not to pile on the EB games hate cause I think the dude who posted the twitter interaction actually makes himself come across poorly and not the EB employee, but I wanted to share a story since I was in there yesterday.

I was in line waiting and witnessed two separate transactions take place with two different employees. Both of them explained to the customer that there is 'known issues' with the games they were purchasing, and they should purchase the warranty to cover them in case their discs were defective. The two people were not purchasing the same game. They explained that the defects on the discs would cause the games to be 'glitchy and laggy'.
Thankfully neither of the people purchased the warranty, otherwise I may have felt compelled to speak up and tell them that they were full of shit, and I didn't want to be that guy.

On top of that they had no knowledge that a DLC upgrade was available for Ultra Street Fighter 4 when I asked them if they had the same promotion in that Gamestop in the states had for pre-ordering the DLC. They told me the disc version was coming out sometime at the end of June, which I politely corrected them and said the disc version was coming out in August, and the DLC upgrade was coming out in three days. But none of that was surprising to me.

Varshes

On top of that they had no knowledge that a DLC upgrade was available for Ultra Street Fighter 4 when I asked them if they had the same promotion in that Gamestop in the states had for pre-ordering the DLC. They told me the disc version was coming out sometime at the end of June, which I politely corrected them and said the disc version was coming out in August, and the DLC upgrade was coming out in three days. But none of that was surprising to me.

You'll probably be hard-pressed to find a clerk at any store that would know that much about a DLC upgrade vs the physical version coming out in August, but the EB I go to, they play a lot of Japanese games are usually pretty knowledgeable when it comes to things like DLC and preorder bonuses for games that aren't COD, BF, Watch_Dogs, etc.. So I guess it just depends where you go.

Reveirg

So this might have been discussed before but...

Does EBGames realize that selling new games for 70$ while Amazon.ca's prices are still at 60$ is a REALLY bad idea? I just cancelled 2 pre-orders for this...

Quick

Banned
So this might have been discussed before but...

Does EBGames realize that selling new games for 70$ while Amazon.ca's prices are still at 60$ is a REALLY bad idea? I just cancelled 2 pre-orders for this...

Not every new game is at $60, though. Watch Dogs was, now it isn't (unless you go through other sellers).

lakers

Neo Member
Wheres the best deal on a Wii U right now? Besides the 200 refurb from Nintendo? I really wanna play MK8 and a bunch of other exclusives

baconcow

I have Zelda and Mario, so it's between Pikmin 3 and Wii Party U for me.

My gut says Pikmin 3 since it's a real game, but I've never been a true Pikmin fan (I passed over Pikmin 2 after playing Pikmin 3). but does Wii Party U have any merit?

Pikmin 3 is one of the best Wii U games. Solid replayability on coop, too. Highly recommend the coop DLC.

Conceptor

I ordered a bunch of Dota 2 tees (~$40) a few months ago. Didn't get hit by any fees. I have ordered a few plushies (~$30) a few weeks ago so we'll see how that works out.

FWIW I chose the cheapest shipping option on both orders.

frequency

I patiently waited the weekend for Mario Kart 8 to arrive in the mail.

Monday morning, I get
"Item redirected to recipient's new address"

I hate Canada Post. I don't have a new address. Where is it being redirected to?

ohlawd

well shit man iunno where you live so I can't figure out taxes so..

it's 64.99 on the eShop and just about everywhere else. It's cheaper on VGP at 59.99.

Quadratic

This is a weird question. Has anyone pre ordered DLC at EBgames before? I want to pick up the Ultra Street Fighter IV upgrade for 360. Can I do that? There doesn't seem to be an option like the Gamestop US site to do so. I tried calling my neighbourhood EB but "surprise" no one is answering at the moment.

i-Jest

Shoppers Optimum Dudes: put promo code '2121' into your profile and get 2000 free points

Cool. Thanks.

This is a weird question. Has anyone pre ordered DLC at EBgames before? I want to pick up the Ultra Street Fighter IV upgrade for 360. Can I do that? There doesn't seem to be an option like the Gamestop US site to do so. I tried calling my neighbourhood EB but "surprise" no one is answering at the moment.

If there anything like FS or BB the preorder bonus comes with the game automatically upon ordering or is emailed to the user if it's a code.

That's my understanding anyway.

Sweet Ivy

I did and was hit with fees, probably depends on the order amount and/or weight because for what I ordered I only had the ability to choose DHL, which sucks.

mdubs

Banned
yep, 30th May 2013 it was announced. They confirmed over Twitter it was coming though. as today is Monday, I'm betting on today.

Tweet I think he is referring to. Not sure where it says that they will be announcing soon though, only that something is coming.

Edit: Link to the page where the deal will be coming up.

Yep that's how it should work. The deal expires the last day of July I think so I think I'll wait out on Mario Kart until like mid-July.

thanks! I have more points, but I would rather keep them for next year. Once July hits do you restart at 0 coins, or do you have to wait until January to enter them?

Luigi87

*sigh*
So a package I had shipped from China two weeks ago arrived in Canada last week, with a tracking number. But it was in Richmond... Dunno if BC or ON (I'm in ON). This was around Tuesday IIRC. The estimated delivery date though was for today, June 2nd.

On Friday my tracking number started displaying:
We were not able to find any results

Tracking information is not available for this item. For further assistance please visit the Support section.

Still no delivery today.
-_-

Lexxism

^ Maybe the tracking # is just for China? When it leave China, you won't be able to track it anymore unless you used a courier.

Luigi87

Nah, it was tracking that it arrived in Canada on CP's website, which is how I knew it was in some... Richmond. But then it just vanished.
China's tracking system of course doesn't go beyond it leaving the country.

Top Bottom