• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Just for Montreal GAFfers, the Sony Store downtown has finally moved into clearance mode. Not sure if they have much stock since its a pretty small store, but most of the games were $20 and the PSTV bundle was $60. PS3 controllers are undiscounted, for no apparent reason...

Dude. You are ridiculous. Glad you have all that time to search my posts.
I didn't have to search all your posts. I literally looked at the first day of posts in the Grim Fandango thread. I stopped quoting after reading a day because there were already too many.

All of it was true. Support lied. People got fucked on preorders because of PS Store issues. The launch was ruined for me.
And so you tried to ruin the thread for everyone else. I'm done talking about this. There's a separate thread for Canadian Amiibo's now and it seems to be flourishing. This thread will continue to push forward, and it will welcome an influx of posts on the flavour-of-the-month game or deal. And all will be well.

I didn't have to search all your posts. I literally looked at the first day of posts in the Grim Fandango thread. I stopped quoting after reading a day because there were already too many.

And so you tried to ruin the thread for everyone else. I'm done talking about this. There's a separate thread for Canadian Amiibo's now and it seems to be flourishing. This thread will continue to push forward, and it will welcome an influx of posts on the flavour-of-the-month game or deal. And all will be well.

I was not trying to purposely ruin the thread. Like I said. People can't ignore posts and move on. Just like people here.

You are just like everyone who kept making personal attacks on me. I don't need to hear anything you have to say

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I hear Thursday is Target? Am I gettin' some sweet deals or what.
I kind of doubt it. The companies that do liquidations understand the sale psychology that drives people to stores anyway, so expect deals-but-not-real-deals in the first few weeks (ie, it might be on sale for 10% off, but you can get it for 30% off on Amazon or elsewhere).

Stage On

Yep, it was literally consuming the thread. 500 posts overnight for a toy only kind of related to video games, when a general Amiibo thread already exists, is ridiculous. Considering all that talk was only really relevant to a specific demographic, it clogged discussion for everybody else. With no end in sight, the split had to happen.

The general Amiibo thread is pretty useless to a Canadian since it covers too many other parts of the world to be able to help much with stuff like locating stock.

Should we start making separate Canada Nintendo deals, Sony deals and Microsoft deal threads as well? Those are only relevant to "specific demographics" as well if since not everyone is going to have every system....

Or how about a separate thread for bitching about shipping since that happens all the time with the president this sets. Might as well take the discussion part out of the title if all you want to talk about is deals.... Oh wait their are none right now making this even more ridiculous since you can't drown out talk about something that doesn't exist.

Lothars

Or how about a separate thread for bitching about shipping since that happens all the time with the president this sets. Might as well take the discussion part out of the title if all you want to talk about is deals.... Oh wait their are none right now making this even more ridiculous since you can't drown out talk about something that doesn't exist.
That's how I feel about the split, It's seems like it's exactly that type of bitching that happens about shipping.

like I said before I just hope it doesn't lead to different threads being made for everything but It's done and hopefully will work out good.

That's how I feel about the split, It's seems like it's exactly that type of bitching that happens about shipping.

like I said before I just hope it doesn't lead to different threads being made for everything but It's done and hopefully will work out good.

I'm sure it will be fine. And if not, it will be because shit disturbers come in and point out ever time there's a conversation not strictly about deals (which was never the point of this thread)

zroid

Banned
Can everyone just stop talking about amiibo here please. What's done is done.

It would also be nice if there weren't any more jabs at amiibo collecting either. Moving amiibo discussion shouldn't give people free rein to just shit on it in here. If you feel the compulsion to discuss why amiibo are stupid or pointless, feel free to do so in one of the two dedicated Amiibo threads.

ohlawd

It would also be nice if there weren't any more jabs at amiibo collecting either. Moving amiibo discussion shouldn't give people free rein to just shit on it in here. If you feel the compulsion to discuss why amiibo are stupid or pointless, feel free to do so in one of the two dedicated Amiibo threads.

the bolded mang too much truth in there

mdubs

Banned
I suppose all we need is for the Canadian dollar to fall another 5 cents and we'll have hit rock bottom in this thread today

jred2k

I was not trying to purposely ruin the thread. Like I said. People can't ignore posts and move on. Just like people here.

You are just like everyone who kept making personal attacks on me. I don't need to hear anything you have to say

Why can't you just accept that the amiibo talk was enough of a detriment to the thread that A LOT of people had a problem with it? Just because you didn't want to have to go to a different thread to talk about it didn't mean that it shouldn't have been in another thread. Ignoring posts is easy when it is a couple of posts, but when it was literally pages and pages of discussion it became too much to wade through.

If there are no deals then so be it. This thread doesn't need to be as active as it was if there aren't deals to support that. The amiibo discussion made it impossible for someone that only wanted to see deals to use the thread for it's original purpose.

Banned
Yeah don't get hyped too much for Target liquidation. I just went to mine and it's already barren. I laughed at the $70 games for PS4 like Destiny and Wolfnstein.

Yeah don't get hyped too much for Target liquidation. I just went to mine and it's already barren. I laughed at the $70 games for PS4 like Destiny and Wolfnstein.

We've been told that there are truck loads worth of stuff being brought in to some stores for display tomorrow.

There was an article about it somewhere. I think it was mentioned in the article posted about employee morale.

Jsheldon

Liquidation doesn't start until tomorrow and intro discounts are 10-30% depending on department. It may take a few more weeks for higher discounts to apply to the more desirable items (eg electronics). That's coming from a family member that is an assistant manager.

Entropia

No One Remembers
We've been told that there are truck loads worth of stuff being brought in to some stores for display tomorrow.

There was an article about it somewhere. I think it was mentioned in the article posted about employee morale.

Pretty sure a GAF'er posted something to that effect as well.

My nearby Target is getting emptied. Entire displays torn down, where there was merchandise previously. Kind of interesting they did that.

I think the liquidation will probably be phased thing like Zellers (10% off everything, 20%, etc.)

LifeLike

Just for Montreal GAFfers, the Sony Store downtown has finally moved into clearance mode. Not sure if they have much stock since its a pretty small store, but most of the games were $20 and the PSTV bundle was $60. PS3 controllers are undiscounted, for no apparent reason...

What about PS4 controllers?
This store is so small.. I dont think we'll be able to get anything there.
It's also at the Eaton Center downtown MTL... no chance.

Wondering what I'll do if I have an issue with my Z3C... I bought that phone there :(

SickBoy

Before I shut up about Amiibos, one claim that I saw repeated at least twice rang really false to me (that the talk the other day was on par with when other game industry releases happen), so I wanted to check it out. Note, these are all really rough numbers, but I thought I would compare what Rosalina Day 1 looked like vs. some big days of Game Deals Canada past:

Day E3 2013 preorders went live: ~250
Day PS4 preorders went live (Future Shop, at least): ~200
Day E3 2014 preorders went live: ~550
Day Rosalina preorders went live: ~700
First 12 hours of Amiibo thread: 341

I don't think anyone has to be told that the big difference between E3 preorder madness (including that Amazon wackiness this year) and Amiibos is that the former is of interest to virtually everyone who's going to be reading this thread.

Can everyone just stop talking about amiibo here please. What's done is done.

Amen. I think the amount of discussion on Amiibos warranted their move, and I think in a couple of days, this thread (and Amiibo fans) will both be better off for it. Clearly, based on the activity in the Amiibo thread, there's plenty of demand for discussion -- and having a dedicated thread gives more license for a free discussion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being interested in Amiibos or discussing them (and I find it distasteful that people are taking pot shots).... I just got the sense this thread was being overrun.

So who's going to Target for their "amazing" sales tomorrow?

A lot of people are going to be disappointed.

I have been to 2 big store liquidation sales, 1 for a Costco style store which I forget the name, and Zellers.

They were both horrible, nothing on sale but full of people going crazy and fighting for stuff, so I kind of learned my lesson. If anything, I will pop in during lunch time to walk around and see but im not expecting anything.

flkraven

I'm hitting my local Target in the morning before work tomorrow. I'm expecting nothing, but hoping to atleast score some deals on pants. It'd be great if games were discounted big obviously.

Luigi87

So who's going to Target for their "amazing" sales tomorrow?

A lot of people are going to be disappointed.
I find it interesting how many think that there will be a lot of great deals from the onset. Liquidation always starts low and increases as time goes on.

isny

napkin dispenser

PS3 controllers are $15, just not marked as so.

Wow. Only a $10 price difference from the states? PREORDERED! Sucks that the taxes jack it back up to $180 but... Not sure if I'll keep the pre-order. At least I have until mid-april to decide.

I was expecting way more of a price difference.

Was it mentioned what the quantity limit is on these?

This one...
Mortal_kombat_X_Normal.jpg

has a run of 70,000. But I can't find anything on the Coarse version.

Does anyone know if the Coarse version will just include the regular retail packaging for the game? I hate steelbooks with a burning passion.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Was it mentioned what the quantity limit is on these?

This one...

has a run of 70,000. But I can't find anything on the Coarse version.
Not sure, but I'm surprised that one is the more expensive version, considering the Coarse one looks so much cooler.

Does anyone know if the Coarse version will just include the regular retail packaging for the game? I had steelbooks with a burning passion.
Considering they don't mention it at all and make a point to do so in the statue version, I'm guessing it doesn't.

I'm not sure when and I'm not sure how, but that other Scorpion statue is destined to break at the foot at some point during its lifetime. Seems like a lot of weight on one area, and at an angle, no less.

I'm not sure when and I'm not sure how, but that other Scorpion statue is destined to break at the foot at some point during its lifetime. Seems like a lot of weight on one area, and at an angle, no less.

Yeah. Not a lot of support visible there. What it's made of certainly would make a difference but yeah...that's a week point for sure.

Tiktaalik

My nearby Target is getting emptied. Entire displays torn down, where there was merchandise previously. Kind of interesting they did that.

But there's not even really any sales on right now yet right? Baffling..

I guess folks make all the effort to get out there, and even though there's no sales they gotta buy something.

I'll probably check out Target at lunch tomorrow. If any east coast folks could report back early on if there are Vita Memory cards on sale for a worthwhile amount I'd be thankful.

But there's not even really any sales on right now yet right? Baffling..

I guess folks make all the effort to get out there, and even though there's no sales they gotta buy something.

I'll probably check out Target at lunch tomorrow. If any east coast folks could report back early on if there are Vita Memory cards on sale for a worthwhile amount I'd be thankful.

I think some of these locations aren't getting anything. Target Montreal Centreville has blocked off large sections with paper towel displays because there's just nothing left to take its place. Aisles that used to hold, say, lego, have already been stocked with other things just to give the appearance of stock as usual.

Tiktaalik

I think some of these locations aren't getting anything. Target Montreal Centreville has blocked off large sections with paper towel displays because there's just nothing left to take its place. Aisles that used to hold, say, lego, have already been stocked with other things just to give the appearance of stock as usual.

Yeah that totally makes sense. I guess the next steps are to consolidate aisles and start to close off parts of the store from customer access.

Dunlop

I foolishly told my daughter I would look for a deal on "Monster High" dolls (or whatever it is called) last week whenever Target went to liquidation..not really expecting to

Because it is all over the web, she knows full well it starts on Thursday and has asked me repetitively if I can go lol

suikodan

Anyone checked out the Carrefour Laval's SStore? GoogleMaps says it's closed for good but I'd like to check it out for any deals.

I'm gonna head to Target maybe at the Danforth or Stockyards here in Toronto. But I doubt I'll find anything good. Has anyone been to those locations recently? Kinda wanna know the general inventory situation cause it sounds like they got cleaned out the past few weeks even without any special sales.

Ondore

NEW DEAL

From 2/10 - 2/19, Superstore (at least Atlantic) is including a copy of Evolve with all Xbox One purchases. Coupon in the flyer.

xclaw

Stopped by Target before work this morning, nothing was coming up as discounted. Shelfs were starting to look bare regardless though.

Top Bottom