• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Dunlop

"OK guys, work through this hellish liquidation sale before you're out of a job!"

"Oh and by the way, no more employee discount... sorry"

I think that is why they offered such a nice severence package...many would have just walked off the job otherwise

Luigi87

I think that is why they offered such a nice severence package...many would have just walked off the job otherwise

Wrong.
There is no severance package. The media reported that wrong.

What it is is starting the week of January 25th, if one were to be relieved of duty, they would get paid up towards May 16th (sixteen weeks).

So for example: If I were to be told my services were no longer necessary next week, I would still get about 14 weeks compensation pay.

If I am stuck there all the way until May 16th (which if I don't find another job, I probably will be), I get nothing.

36 stores have already closed nation wide, so those people are collecting compensation.
Among them, headquarters workers have already finished working... Oh, and I should note they DO get severance, about $30k each, and can also collect the 16 weeks based on their salaries... Oh, and apparently they can still get discounts in stores, unlike team members.

Wrong.

What it is is starting the week of January 25th, if one were to be relieved of duty, they would get paid up towards May 16th (sixteen weeks).

So for example: If I were to be told my services were no longer necessary next week, I would still get about 14 weeks compensation pay.

If I am stuck there all the way until May 16th (which if I don't find another job, I probably will be), I get nothing.

36 stores have already closed nation wide, so those people are collecting compensation.
Among them, headquarters workers have already finished working... Oh, and I should note they DO get severance, about $30k each, and can also collect the 16 weeks based on their salaries... Oh, and apparently they can still get discounts in stores, unlike team members.

It's not hard to see why people who are stuck there would have low morale. It would be better to be let go early so you get the compensation pay and can look for a new job.

antibolo

Banned
So Target liquidation officially starts tomorrow? I may go to my local one I guess. Not that I'm expecting anything good, mostly just curious.

Joeku

Team Member discounts will not work anymore after today, only red cards.

I was last in a couple days ago, but I was told by my ETL that Team Member discounts would continue for the first several days of the liquidation at least. Is this newer information?

Luigi87

Yeah, I believe it was from the information posted on Target Source today (which is technically yesterday's information), it is also the form that details all the various starting percentages off.

Daigr

Well good luck to all the target employees that are on the front lines tomorrow.

Hope you don't have to deal with too many idiots.

I decided to head to my local Sony store before it shut down today. I was hoping to find some accessories for my ps3 but almost anything good was already sold.

I ended up getting:

Tearaway
Beyond: two souls
Puppeteer
All for 10 each

And 3 months psn for 11 or so dollars.

Also walked over to the EB games and picked up heavy rain directors cut new for 5 dollars.

Jinto

Man I wasn't expecting to ever see $30 PS+ cards ever again.
Calgary's last Sony Store has a ton in stock.

Too bad the last Sony Store in Edmonton closed on Sunday before I was able to check if there was any deals. I wanted a Vita memory card.

Wait, I'm surprised they would even reduce the price on those. Aren't they just little pieces of worthless cardboard? Especially to the Sony Store...

Too bad the last Sony Store in Edmonton closed on Sunday before I was able to check if there was any deals. I wanted a Vita memory card.

Wait, I'm surprised they would even reduce the price on those. Aren't they just little pieces of worthless cardboard? Especially to the Sony Store...

I think they're just trying to get rid of everything at this point. The sales rep was so helpful, going through the piles of games trying to see if there was anything I wanted. I felt guilty just being there.

He also said he didn't understand why all the stores had to be closed, since theirs was doing relatively well.

Jinto

I think they're just trying to get rid of everything at this point. The sales rep was so helpful, going through the piles of games trying to see if there was anything I wanted. I felt guilty just being there.

He also said he didn't understand why all the stores had to be closed, since theirs was doing relatively well.

Are you from Calgary as well? Do you know when they'll be officially closing down? I'm probably heading down there next weekend.

Actually, I'm most likely gonna go there, then head to Vancouver a few days later.

Can anyone recommend me some good retro gaming shops in those 2 cities? I'm looking to pick up a few things that I haven't been able to find here.

i-Jest

This is only a quasi-deal, but if you have a PS4:

Go onto The Order's official site here:

https://theorder.playstation.com/

And click on all 10 sections (you don't have to watch the whole video, just get them to start, then close them).

After you do the 10th, you'll get a code for a free The Order theme.

Thanks. Got me a freebee.

I'm gonna head to Target maybe at the Danforth or Stockyards here in Toronto. But I doubt I'll find anything good. Has anyone been to those locations recently? Kinda wanna know the general inventory situation cause it sounds like they got cleaned out the past few weeks even without any special sales.

Haven't been to stockyards in a couple months. The target there was still stocked up the last time I checked.

Man I wasn't expecting to ever see $30 PS+ cards ever again.
Calgary's last Sony Store has a ton in stock.

Which one is that? I don't think I live close to any sony stores so I'm out of the loop on this one lol.

Can anyone recommend me some good retro gaming shops in those 2 cities? I'm looking to pick up a few things that I haven't been able to find here.

In Calgary, there's Video Game Trader. They used to be unreasonably priced but now they're probably closer to decent market value on the games that they sell. Big collection there though, worth a look.

Jinto

In Calgary, there's Video Game Trader. They used to be unreasonably priced but now they're probably closer to decent market value on the games that they sell. Big collection there though, worth a look.

I'll check it out, thanks. Yeah, the prices here are pretty ridiculous too. I used to get a lot of my retro stuff from Kijiji and Ebay. Kijiji is becoming a pain in the ass and Ebay's global shipping program is crap. Plus, I like be able to look at the stuff before I purchase.

figured why wait till the 20th to get that discounted collector's edition of The Order: 1886 from amazon, so I spoke to another CSR rep today and they updated my order to reflect the new price.

yay!

figured why wait till the 20th to get that discounted collector's edition of The Order: 1886 from amazon, so I spoke to another CSR rep today and they updated my order to reflect the new price.

yay!

I was only offered the standard edition, can't complain though

Amazon is awesome

Did you use this forum as proof that users were getting discounted collector's editions?

...cause that's what I did! lol

Nah, just asked why they couldn't get the premium and if I could get another version of the game for the same price

I can't believe you showed them this thread lol

So I heard about the trade in have deal EBgames has for the new 3DS XL. Does it matter if my old 3DS has its serial label still? Mine recently peeled off from all the accumulated palm sweat over the years.

Wrong.

Umm... can you guys team up and sue them?

yay!

Nice. Just placed an order for collectors edition just to be safe. How nicely did you ask them, or how did you ask them? I don't want to sound like a prick when I get in touch.

Did you call or use their email/messaging support system?

Joeku

Well good luck to all the target employees that are on the front lines tomorrow.

Hope you don't have to deal with too many idiots.
I'm expecting the next several hours to be the worst of my entire time there. People turn into animals during times like these.

Luigi87

I called in to work today. I did have a legit reason after pulling a muscle in my back yesterday while working.

My friend posted a video of my Target opening... tons of people. Gotta get those 10% deals! -_-

I called in to work today. I did have a legit reason after pulling a muscle in my back yesterday while working.

My friend posted a video of my Target opening... tons of people. Gotta get those 10% deals! -_-

I may need to go to the walk-in clinic due to some back pain myself. I was thinking of taking the morning off to do that and checking out Target along the way.

I guess I won't bother now.

I might still go to the walk-in though.

https://twitter.com/matthewkupfer/status/563324479527735296/photo/1

Apple Hardware at 5% discount. DOORCRASHER!

B9FTad-IQAAShHx.jpg:large

Up to 30% off....

WOW.

lol I am not going anywhere near those crowds

Liquidation sales are like Steam sales, it's best to wait.

Too many people go in on the opening day of the sale when shit is barely discounted. You need to wait a couple of weeks to see how far the prices start to drop.

Exr

Off work at 12, gonna try to head to Target at metrotown at 1. Hope the masses havent already ransacked the place....

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gaming is only 10% apple and computing 5%. I know someone who worked there and said the deals should get better in a couple of weeks.

jstripes

Banned
I may need to go to the walk-in clinic due to some back pain myself. I was thinking of taking the morning off to do that and checking out Target along the way.

I guess I won't bother now.

I might still go to the walk-in though.

https://twitter.com/matthewkupfer/status/563324479527735296/photo/1

Apple Hardware at 5% discount. DOORCRASHER!

B9FTad-IQAAShHx.jpg:large

Up to 30% off....

WOW.

Those are the exact same signs they used for the Zellers liquidation a couple of years ago:

mVZE9YYl.jpg

Fucking hilarious. (If it weren't so sad.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yes, the longer you wait the better the deals get. But it never works out well because crazy people will buy up everything you want way before that, despite only having a slight discount.

Joeku

I'm on break. Guys, don't come in to Target today. Not worth it for both the sales and the crowds. Just keep on it til it's 20 or 30%.

I guess they saved them "just in case".

Depressing.

No, Target has nothing to do with Zellers. External liquidation companies have those signs and bring them in. Coincidence is just that Target is seemingly working with the same companies.

I went to Target at about 8:30am. The parking lot was full, and the store was really busy, but people weren't buying a ton of stuff. It's because the sales were shit.

It makes sense given that they want to recoup as much of an investment as possible, but the only thing I saw at 30% off was makeup. Electronics were 10% off, video games, consoles and accessories included. I wasn't going to pay $54.99 for a controller right now when I don't need one.

CDs/DVDs and Blu-rays were 20% off.

I ended up getting several packs of Depends for disabled family members, plus three boxes of lemon-cream cookies because my Nana's been on about them for weeks and Walmart doesn't sell them. Good-bye $84.09 in gift cards, plus $0.11 extra.

Top Bottom