• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Luigi87

Stopped by Target before work this morning, nothing was coming up as discounted. Shelfs were starting to look bare regardless though.
Doesn't start until tomorrow.
Video games will only be 10% off. In general things throughout the store will be 10-30% off,some exceptions being Apple products which will only be 5%.

Ondore

I seem to recall they cranked everything back to MSRP when Zellers went down, so I doubt Target will do clearances.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I seem to recall they cranked everything back to MSRP when Zellers went down, so I doubt Target will do clearances.
That's how these things work. It's preying on the psychology of people seeing SALE without actually paying attention to the price.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey, a couple of days ago I was asked to take a look in here because of some bickering about Amiibo shipping stuff. I just wanted to offer some general guidance. Generally this thread is decent at self-moderating, and I won't be changing that. Also, bishoptl is the only active Canadian mod currently (I'm no longer living in Canada for the time being) and he doesn't really handle this kind of stuff.

My general sense is that it's always been OK to talk about shipping issues in this thread, or really any other issues--including non-gaming pillow deals, stuff in the orbit of Canadian politics, etc. But if any one subject dominates or derails the thread that's a bad thing. The Amiibo situation worldwide has been madness, so it's understandable that it'd come up here, but there needs to be a balance. I understand that one way this has been responded to is using the highlight command to post new deals to really make them pop out. That sounds good to me. In addition, we now have a Canadian Amiibo thread, which is cool.

So here are my suggestions:
- If you are primarily posting to complain about Canadian Amiibo availability, stock, or shipping issues in any longer or deeper way, try to use the Canadian Amiibo thread, which is the more appropriate venue.
- If it's a quick one-off reaction or mention, here is fine, but please don't get into a long, involved discussion about that stuff here.
- Most Important: If someone is wrecking the thread through complaining, the worst thing you can do is complain at them about their complaining. This makes the derail worse. Just ignore the poster, or put them on ignore, or if it becomes truly excessive, contact a mod. This goes for pretty much every thread. Complaining about people complaining is definitely the major problem from what I can see skimming back over the last few pages.

Cheers :)

zeitgeist

Yeah I don't think I will bother with the clearance. I was hoping to snag a PS4 but that's pretty unrealistic.

I also don't think I want to see people being psychotic and maybe freaking out at the employees. What a brutal ordeal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey, a couple of days ago I was asked to take a look in here because of some bickering about Amiibo shipping stuff. I just wanted to offer some general guidance. Generally this thread is decent at self-moderating, and I won't be changing that. Also, bishoptl is the only active Canadian mod currently (I'm no longer living in Canada for the time being) and he doesn't really handle this kind of stuff.

My general sense is that it's always been OK to talk about shipping issues in this thread, or really any other issues--including non-gaming pillow deals, stuff in the orbit of Canadian politics, etc. But if any one subject dominates or derails the thread that's a bad thing. The Amiibo situation worldwide has been madness, so it's understandable that it'd come up here, but there needs to be a balance. I understand that one way this has been responded to is using the highlight command to post new deals to really make them pop out. That sounds good to me. In addition, we now have a Canadian Amiibo thread, which is cool.

- If you are primarily posting to complain about Canadian Amiibo availability, stock, or shipping issues, try to use the Canadian Amiibo thread, which is the more appropriate venue.
- If it's a quick one-off, here is fine, but please don't get into a long, involved discussion about that stuff here
- Most Important: If someone is wrecking the thread through complaining, the worst thing you can do is complain at them about their complaining. This makes the derail worse. Just ignore the poster, or put them on ignore, or if it becomes truly excessive, contact a mod.

Had no idea you were out of the country. Thanks stump!

- If you are primarily posting to complain about Canadian Amiibo availability, stock, or shipping issues, try to use the Canadian Amiibo thread, which is the more appropriate venue.
- If it's a quick one-off, here is fine, but please don't get into a long, involved discussion about that stuff here
- Most Important: If someone is wrecking the thread through complaining, the worst thing you can do is complain at them about their complaining. This makes the derail worse. Just ignore the poster, or put them on ignore, or if it becomes truly excessive, contact a mod.

Can you get someone to add a highlight code button on the WYSIWYG post editor? I didn't even know it was a thing you can add long after my registration. It could make it easier for users to post new deals.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can you get someone to add a highlight code button on the WYSIWYG post editor? I didn't even know it was a thing you can add long after my registration. It could make it easier for users to post new deals.
Use hateradio's Quick Reply/Edit/Post add-on for Chrome/Firefox/Opera. Makes life so much easier.

Use hateradio's Quick Reply/Edit/Post add-on for Chrome/Firefox/Opera. Makes life so much easier.

Thanks for the tip, but it misses the point I'm trying to make. New users wouldn't know about the the highlight tag without a) knowing their way around forums like GAF or b) being aware of this userscript.

But anyway, this isn't the place for a discussion like this.

Mikey Jr.

So we have now set the precedent that any talk of non deals/males is prohibited here.

I'll be sure to make a point of it whenever something unrelated is posted and push to make a separate thread or for people to go to the OT.

Should be fun with all the new release games and the New 3DS XL this month.

Good luck!

Bro, the amibo talk went on for months. Jesus.

It's a separate thread. You'll live. Fuck man, you make complete mountains out of molehills. No joke.

Glad it's moved somewhere else.

Anyone have any impressions of Play Asia?

I want to order a 3rd party Wii U Gamecube controller adapter from them but I want to know if it's a trusted site, especially when shipping to Canada

I want to order a 3rd party Wii U Gamecube controller adapter from them but I want to know if it's a trusted site, especially when shipping to Canada

Ordered from there before with no issues, haven't run into any import fees either.

BadWolf

So we have now set the precedent that any talk of non deals/males is prohibited here.

I'll be sure to make a point of it whenever something unrelated is posted and push to make a separate thread or for people to go to the OT.

Should be fun with all the new release games and the New 3DS XL this month.

Good luck!

Can't see how anyone can be butthurt about this after how big that new thread got within a day.

I have ordered things from PlayAsia a long time ago and they're a very well regarded and trusted site. The only thing is they like to have high prices and expensive Canadian shipping. They could never hold a candle to my beloved Lik Sang, it's such a shame Sony took them down.

Ondore

I know Portland St (Dartmouth) does, and I think Bayers Lake as well. Can't recall off hand if Barrington St does, Kempt/Young is a no go.

They're generally well regarded but they tend to be pretty pricey. They have a good selection though, I guess. A friend of mine got his white Smash 4 GC Controller from there. If I have a choice I tend to gravitate towards Ami Ami for pre-orders, and with CDJapan or Nippon-Yassan for stuff that's already out.

For example, Puyo Puyo Tetris PS4 is $59.13 CAD on Play Asia, $57.76 CAD on CDJapan (it actually went up in price last I checked), and $54.54 CAD on Nippon-Yassan. You really gotta do your research when it comes to these things.

- If you are primarily posting to complain about Canadian Amiibo availability, stock, or shipping issues in any longer or deeper way, try to use the Canadian Amiibo thread, which is the more appropriate venue.
- If it's a quick one-off reaction or mention, here is fine, but please don't get into a long, involved discussion about that stuff here.
- Most Important: If someone is wrecking the thread through complaining, the worst thing you can do is complain at them about their complaining. This makes the derail worse. Just ignore the poster, or put them on ignore, or if it becomes truly excessive, contact a mod. This goes for pretty much every thread. Complaining about people complaining is definitely the major problem from what I can see skimming back over the last few pages.

The issue is not with this thread wanting Amiibo talk gone, but the hostility people created, along with the image it created for Canadian Amiibo hunters in the Amiibo Discussion Thread that already exists.

People didn't know what was going on here and thought we wanted to leave the Amiibo thread and required a lot of explanation and making amends as people believed we wanted out of that thread.

Any deals on Pulse Elite or Gild Headsets? Mine finally snapped :(

Although I may try and Red Green them first.

If it broke in the middle, use a piece of cardboard as reinforcement and stability ("bend" the carboard so that it goes along with the head piece part) and use Duct Tape around it to hold it together.

that's what I did when my tritton pro+'s snapped in half, and after a month and a half, so far so good!

#teamcheap

Maximus.

The issue is not with this thread wanting Amiibo talk gone, but the hostility people created, along with the image it created for Canadian Amiibo hunters in the Amiibo Discussion Thread that already exists.

People didn't know what was going on here and thought we wanted to leave the Amiibo thread and required a lot of explanation and making amends as people believed we wanted out of that thread.

Any form of hostility was created from the lack of understanding from both sides. The main issue here was Amiibo talk was getting too consuming, pro-amiibo people got defensive and didn't care, which led to a backlash from people who had enough of it. It then exploded and led to the separation, which could've happened more peacefully if there was better understanding from both sides.

Regardless, it's done, the new amiibo thread is like 7 pages strong and this thread is still alive and well. Good to see a mod step in and clarify some things just to end all the stupid bickering. Disappointed in Canadian gaffers who took it so far, we are better than this!

SickBoy

I was at Target today to pick up some cat food. Got the last box, so now my source for slightly cheaper cat food has totally dried up.

Anyway, super depressing. Looking pretty barren as people have noted, and while I was there at least three or four people were bugging staff about when the liquidation was starting. I think it's gonna be a zoo tomorrow.

I feel really bad for the staff... I've had almost entirely quality service there and even now they're putting on a pretty positive face even though some people are clearly jerks. But I know it can't be easy. Besides that, I'll miss the store. I shopped there a lot.

NEW DEAL

From 2/10 - 2/19, Superstore (at least Atlantic) is including a copy of Evolve with all Xbox One purchases. Coupon in the flyer.

I think Microsoft is pushing it pretty hard.

If for some reason anyone can't get this offer, the Microsoft Store is offering an almost-equivalent deal by offering $60 off with an Evolve preorder: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...700?Icid=Home_EN_STrip2_Evolve_XboxOne_012615

(so Evolve for $9.99)

What are the chances best buy and fs sell the MKX limited edition with the statue? I got a preorder at Amazon, but have gift cards at those

daevv

Doesn't start until tomorrow.
Video games will only be 10% off. In general things throughout the store will be 10-30% off,some exceptions being Apple products which will only be 5%.

Any idea on the precentage off TVs? My Target has 3 of the Element 55inch ones left. Not a bad price at $499 but $499 minus 20% or even 30% would be great.

Dunlop

Any idea on the precentage off TVs? My Target has 3 of the Element 55inch ones left. Not a bad price at $499 but $499 minus 20% or even 30% would be great.
Get there when it opens as I imagine they will sell fast.

As long as it doesn't crap out on me I am thrilled that I got the 65" version for $500 including tax

Luigi87

Electronics are 10% off. (this includes TVs, and Video Games)
Entertainment is 20% off.

Top Bottom