• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Ryne

Is there an official source other than a reddit thread? Does this apply to Canada too?

I asked my co-worker who is a wife of someone who worked there (former manager of a store). They are also closing down in Canada, people have been calling him to use him as a reference.

Sucks for those who are now looking for jobs.

big_z

FS/BB's website is trash. I ordered something on Boxing Day and wanted to access the order information but kept getting 404's. Sent numerous emails through their Contact Us form and got nothing.

Called them a couple days ago to cancel another order and mentioned the bug and they said they'd look into it.

still cant log into either bestbuy or futureshop accounts. I think its because I was trying to order a n3dsxl and the sites went down mid checkout. I sent an email off to customer support and they sent one back explaining how to reset my password, completely off topic. fucking useless. Now my order history doesn't work either, I better not lose my e3 preorders.

RIP Tiger Direct retail stores, liquidation sales starting tomorrow as per RFD

Seems that their online store will continue

I barely ever got around to their retail stores. I may have gone twice.

I wonder how good the liquidation sale will be since they are still going to be operating online.

It's interesting to see Canada Computers and NCIX successfully expand in the retail space so far.

Best Buy just sent me another $10 off rewards coupon. They already sent me one a month ago and I haven't bought anything of note int he past month. Maybe $100 worth of stuff?

big_z

Best Buy just sent me another $10 off rewards coupon. They already sent me one a month ago and I haven't bought anything of note int he past month. Maybe $100 worth of stuff?

check your rewards setting. they automatically redeem into a coupon when you hit a certain amount. if you don't use it they will resend it now and then until you do or it expires.

check your rewards setting. they automatically redeem into a coupon when you hit a certain amount. if you don't use it they will resend it now and then until you do or it expires.

I checked the site and it's definitely an extra $10 coupon that was just issued a couple of days ago. There are a lot more points on there that I didn't have before to.

Best Buy error in my favour?

Banned
It's been awhile since I've been here. Has target reduced video game prices more yet? Last I checked it was 20% off.

IceIpor

Oops. Forgot to post.

Video game software and accessories is at 40% off.
Hardware remains at 30%.
Toys at 50% off.

Some other things increased by 10% too, but not much. 30-50 still.

Forgot to mention that PC games/software is still at 30.

theRizzle

It's interesting to see Canada Computers and NCIX successfully expand in the retail space so far.

This defies logic. Canada Computers retail stores (the ones I've been to in Toronto and surrounding areas anyway) are consistently the worst retail experiences I've ever had. The stores themselves are frequently unorganized and cluttered, though personally that doesn't bother me very much.

What bothers me is their non-existent customer service. I've waited nearly an hour at one of their counters to buy a hard-drive on more than one occasion. Sometimes employees will walk by without even acknowledging that someone is waiting for service. I know that in stores like that they probably tend to get lots of "browsers" that just wanna look at stuff and not buy anything, but it isn't difficult to ask "Can I help you with anything?". I don't know if every store is just understaffed or they are directed to not engage customers first or what it is, but it's baffling.

The only time I ever had a good experience in a CC store was over 10 years ago at their Yonge & Finch when I was building my Athlon 64 3800+ system.

Returners

Done!

Now if anyone is looking for me, I'll be in my Phantom Pain Collector's Edition fort trying to figure out what to do with all these.

large.png

Banned
Might stop by cloverdale target at lunch to see their wii u games collection. Nintendo games never go on sale but 40% is a good deal for them.

Of course I could waste my lunch by going there and it's barren.

Time for my weekly Target run. I may actually buy something this time.

I checked the site and it's definitely an extra $10 coupon that was just issued a couple of days ago. There are a lot more points on there that I didn't have before to.

Best Buy error in my favour?

I've gotten hundreds of points from purchases I never made before. I hope some poor sap didn't lose out.

Does anyone else feel like prices that match the US one feel like a deal now because of the exchange rate? I mean the XB1 controller is $40 which is pretty standard but that's $33 USD and I doubt it's ever hit that price in the States.

EDIT: Are electronics at 40% now? May get a Fitbit if there are any left.

Sora_N

Time for my weekly Target run. I may actually buy something this time.

I've gotten hundreds of points from purchases I never made before. I hope some poor sap didn't lose out.

Someone bought a $2000 TV and the points went to me once. I spent the certificate immediately lol.

This defies logic. Canada Computers retail stores (the ones I've been to in Toronto and surrounding areas anyway) are consistently the worst retail experiences I've ever had. The stores themselves are frequently unorganized and cluttered, though personally that doesn't bother me very much.

What bothers me is their non-existent customer service. I've waited nearly an hour at one of their counters to buy a hard-drive on more than one occasion. Sometimes employees will walk by without even acknowledging that someone is waiting for service. I know that in stores like that they probably tend to get lots of "browsers" that just wanna look at stuff and not buy anything, but it isn't difficult to ask "Can I help you with anything?". I don't know if every store is just understaffed or they are directed to not engage customers first or what it is, but it's baffling.

The only time I ever had a good experience in a CC store was over 10 years ago at their Yonge & Finch when I was building my Athlon 64 3800+ system.

If it's been a while since you've been in a Canada Computers, I gotta say in the last couple of years, they really stepped up their game. There are plenty of associates now and whenever I've gone there, most of the time they've always walked up to me to ask if I needed up with something. the other times I just walked up to an associate who was behind one of their counters and they did take the time to help me out with buying an item/looking for an item within the store if I couldn't find it.

As always though, I found that their knowledge regarding products varied. Sometimes, the associate would be pretty knowledgeable, other times you could tell they may not exactly know what they were talking about. All in all though, it's wayyyy better than the way they were years ago.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
All Tiger Direct B&M Stores are closing, starting today they are in liquidation, discounts from 5-30% off, every thursday the discounts increase upto 90% off, then eventual closure.

NEW DEALS

The Source:

Xbox One controller (black) - $39.99 (Save $20)
Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle - $369.99 (Save $30)
3 Month Xbox Live subscription cards - $16.49 (Save $8.50) *March 12-19*

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If it's been a while since you've been in a Canada Computers, I gotta say in the last couple of years, they really stepped up their game. There are plenty of associates now and whenever I've gone there, most of the time they've always walked up to me to ask if I needed up with something. the other times I just walked up to an associate who was behind one of their counters and they did take the time to help me out with buying an item/looking for an item within the store if I couldn't find it.

As always though, I found that their knowledge regarding products varied. Sometimes, the associate would be pretty knowledgeable, other times you could tell they may not exactly know what they were talking about. All in all though, it's wayyyy better than the way they were years ago.
Yeah the past few times I've gone I've had people ask me for help if needed. It's a lot different now.
think you're onto something. IRC all the MGS special editions were called "limited" before, now they changed it to collector's.
Yup. Happened to me. Got the LE for PS3 and there were plenty left.

IceIpor

Does anyone else feel like prices that match the US one feel like a deal now because of the exchange rate? I mean the XB1 controller is $40 which is pretty standard but that's $33 USD and I doubt it's ever hit that price in the States.

EDIT: Are electronics at 40% now? May get a Fitbit if there are any left.
Nope. Still 30%, I believe.

Xbox One controllers are also on sale for $39.99 at EB and RCSS, it seems.

Also, EB has a discount on Xbox Live 3mo subscription cards. They're also $8.50 off.

Conceptor

All Tiger Direct B&M Stores are closing, starting today they are in liquidation, discounts from 5-30% off, every thursday the discounts increase upto 90% off, then eventual closure.
Holy shit.

Maybe I can finally get myself a mechanical
keyboard without breaking my near-empty wallet.

Sucks though because there's a TD store not 5 minutes from my place too.

MesH

Any good deals out there, I want to get Final Fantasy Type-O for PS4 and didn't preorder it during E3 last year. Really interested in the Final Fantasy 15 Demo that is getting a lot of good press since PAX, but I am not willing to pay 70 bucks for it.

Any good deals out there, I want to get Final Fantasy Type-O for PS4 and didn't preorder it during E3 last year. Really interested in the Final Fantasy 15 Demo that is getting a lot of good press since PAX, but I am not willing to pay 70 bucks for it.

Check to see if your local library has ordered it. Trust me, you may be surprised.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't know if anyone cares but the PS4 version of Unity is also $30 at Wal-Mart starting today and going through the next few days (i.e. the deals posted on the other page are for both PS4 and X1 versions). Had to scan it though, they didn't update the stickers.

Use the code "Cineplexholiday" to get $10 off the XB1 controller (need a filler to hit $40) on Toys R Us online.

This also works at Babies-R-Us, so I wish I would've known before. I just recently bought my friend a high chair for his upcoming baby.

I let him know about it, though, in case he plans to order anything.

Past

I didn't know that EB Games carried the N3DSXL Hori Case: https://www.ebgames.ca/3DS/Games/719137/hori-duraflexi-protector-clear-for-nintendo-new-3ds-xl#

Been using a cheap tpu case from China for the past few weeks which came with scratches and leave out bubbles for some reason, so I am definitely going to pick up the hori case tomorrow to replace it. Any reason why it only has a 3.5 rating on the site though?

Edit: Just read the reviews on Amazon.com and it seems like case has a lot of issues, the main one being that it doesn't fit properly. Just going to stick with my cheap China case then, as at least that one actually fit, just need to find out how to get rid of the bubbles lol. http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Duraflex...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Top Bottom