• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

CRA5H

I didn't know that EB Games carried the N3DSXL Hori Case: https://www.ebgames.ca/3DS/Games/719137/hori-duraflexi-protector-clear-for-nintendo-new-3ds-xl#

Been using a cheap tpu case from China for the past few weeks which came with scratches and leave out bubbles for some reason, so I am definitely going to pick up the hori case tomorrow to replace it. Any reason why it only has a 3.5 rating on the site though?

Edit: Just read the reviews on Amazon.com and it seems like case has a lot of issues, the main one being that it doesn't fit properly. Just going to stick with my cheap China case then, as at least that one actually fit, just need to find out how to get rid of the bubbles lol. http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Duraflex...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
It fits fine. Had it since last Friday and its great for my MH edition. Maybe they are confused because there isn't a tab which you can lock the case into like the older model. Because of this, there is nothing for the case to attach to so it is may feel loose but it really isn't noticeable when you're playing.

kennah

Went to Target. Didn't buy an ipad. 15% off isn't enough to make me jump on a model I don't really want (because all. The mini 2s are gone, but still had lots of every other model)

i-Jest

All Tiger Direct B&M Stores are closing, starting today they are in liquidation, discounts from 5-30% off, every thursday the discounts increase upto 90% off, then eventual closure.

Well damn. Didn't see this coming. Will they be an online retailer only or are they leaving Canada?

Tapejara

Hm, my local EB didn't get any copies of Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters in. I've really got to stop pre-ordering Vita games from them. Might as well just save the money and grab the digital version.

Lexxism

I got charged $55.36 (ON) on BB with my old credit card (not using anymore and I don't know why I got charge there) just this 3 in the morning. Is this for FF type-0? I can't access the damn order page for my pre-orders.

Really glad I have about $700 in PSN credit to work through before I have to start buying from E3 deals. Hopefully this dollar goes back up by the end of the year.

No_Style

Wow, I've never checked these out before but this is awesome. Well done.

Anyone know if the free game with a PS4 is actually just limited to FS, BB and Amazon? Or is it actually all consoles? The registration thing is through PSN so I'm not 100%.

Unfortunately that deal expired and I forgot to remove it :(

curb

Banned
What do you all think about the major CRTC announcements yesterday?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-eases-canadian-content-quotas-for-tv-1.2992132

I'm glad they're making Bell and Rogers open up their Shomi and Crave services beyond subscribers of their internet/TV services. Them getting exclusive content and locking it to their other services seemed really crappy to me. I get why they did it but it just means I don't have an option to legally get that content.

Magnus

I'm glad they're making Bell and Rogers open up their Shomi and Crave services beyond subscribers of their internet/TV services. Them getting exclusive content and locking it to their other services seemed really crappy to me. I get why they did it but it just means I don't have an option to legally get that content.

That's not a done deal. They're incentivizing them to open it up, but not forcing them yet.

Returners

Which one is Rogers and which one is Bell?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I never understood how these idiots thought trying to create a netflix competitor, then locking it behind their tv subscriptions was a good idea.

curb

Banned
I never understood how these idiots thought trying to create a netflix competitor, then locking it behind their tv subscriptions was a good idea.

To me it just seems like a desperate attempt to appear relevant while fighting tooth and nail to preserve their old business model. The market for traditional TV service is shrinking and people want Netflix so we'll make an on-demand service but we still want to sell TV so we'll leverage our existing licensing deals and lure them in with our own streaming service but still try and sell TV.

krae_man

I hope the ruling applies to WWE Network as well.

Although my US account is somehow working despite no IP changing stuff but I don't know how long that will last.

They're not really trying to win or make lots of profit, they're trying to increase the demand and bids for content so Netflix has to pay more and raise subscription costs as a result.

New-ish Deal

Splinter Cell Blacklist PS3/360 is $4.99 at EB again. PM for less. Tempted to get it for co-op.

SickBoy

Since the start, according to Rogers, the plan for Shomi has been to offer it to all Canadians -- not just Rogers/Shaw subscribers.

I'm not sure Crave will ever leave the Bell/Telus stable. It's scope seems limited enough that it might not make sense to offer much beyond what it already does: that's currently broadcast on TV and HBO's back catalogue.

Meanwhile, hoping that one day Amazon will finally decide to navigate the Canadian content-rights battlefield and offer up some form of Prime Video here. Maybe some of the CRTC moves yesterday will help on that front.

Quick

Banned
They're not really trying to win or make lots of profit, they're trying to increase the demand and bids for content so Netflix has to pay more and raise subscription costs as a result.

New-ish Deal

Splinter Cell Blacklist PS3/360 is $4.99 at EB again. PM for less. Tempted to get it for co-op.

Is the game any good? I remember thinking about picking it up when it came out.

New-ish Deal

Pretty sure that was the price I paid during the boxing day sales.

*checks*

Yep. $4.99 and then another $4.99 for shipping (and taxes of course).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just want HBO to launch HBO Now in Canada, or at least have someone get the rights to their back catalogue that isn't tied to Bell/Rogers. Then I could cut TV out for good.

curb

Banned
Since the start, according to Rogers, the plan for Shomi has been to offer it to all Canadians -- just not Rogers/Shaw subscribers.

I'm not sure Crave will ever leave the Bell/Telus stable. It's scope seems limited enough that it might not make sense to offer much beyond what it already does: that's currently broadcast on TV and HBO's back catalogue.

Meanwhile, hoping that one day Amazon will finally decide to navigate the Canadian content-rights battlefield and offer up some form of Prime Video here. Maybe some of the CRTC moves yesterday will help on that front.

That's good about Rogers and Shomi. I like Netflix but I'd like some options. As for Amazon, I wonder what would be left content-wise after Bell and Rogers moved into the space.

zeitgeist

Yeah seriously, if any telecom company wants Canadians to actually start paying for streaming they should probably make it more accessible.

They need to realize they aren't competing with cable/ legal streaming, they are competing with FREE extremely convenient and accessible streaming/ downloading with no commercials or stupid website issues.

Top Bottom