• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

thisbeard

It is, if you're fine with potentially keeping it if the price doesn't go down. I was just saying to keep it sealed in case he wanted the option of returning since he doesn't seem to urgently want to play it. But yeah opening it will let you pricematch just fine within the 30 days

Got it. Thanks for clarifying that, pal!

IceIpor

If there is anything left at your local Target:

40% is the new minimum for everything except computers stuff.

So hardware, TVs, etc are 40% off.

Movies and music is 60% off.

The Targets I have been to have all been decently stocked still. I think this will tip the scales on Blu-Rays though.

khaaan

If I buy the expansion for PS4 will it also be activated on the PC version?

I have to assume so since it's the same account.

From my understanding, this isn't the case. I believe you will have to buy two copies if you want to play on both platforms. I'll see if I can dig up a link...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I found a copy of tales of xillia 2 at target for like 17 bucks. Finally got to use my stupid gift card.

zroid

Banned
60% off movies, I need to go check that out. was 40% last time and there were a few things I wanted to drop in price ust a bit more.

frequency

Edit: Wow I'm super late on both my points.

I think the Amazon.ca Heavensward pricing is an error. As in it's a placeholder price and no one cares to check. It should be fixed closer to release.

https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=heavensward
$49.99 at EB.

Also, PC and PS4 versions have different keys. If you want to play on both consoles you have to buy two copies of the game - one for each platform you wish to play on. It's pretty dumb.

mosquitos have already been back in Vancouver for a few weeks

I was playing soccer last night at UBC and I got eaten alive. Our lack of winter seems to have brought those little fuckers back early

I can't wait to be able to complain about bugs again. At least those can't trap me in my home!

...Yet.

Edit: Wow I'm super late on both my points.

I think the Amazon.ca Heavensward pricing is an error. As in it's a placeholder price and no one cares to check. It should be fixed closer to release.

https://www.ebgames.ca/SearchResult/QuickSearch?q=heavensward
$49.99 at EB.

Also, PC and PS4 versions have different keys. If you want to play on both consoles you have to buy two copies of the game - one for each platform you wish to play on. It's pretty dumb.

I still don't quite get it. I asked the question in the FFXIV forums. If I have expansion gear and I am in an expansion zone on my PS4, then I decide to log in on PC where I don't have the expansion, what happens?

Also, if you're buying physical it may be best to hold off until E3 as you can probably get this year's FS/BB E3 discount on it.

ohlawd

the good stuff in my Target are long gone now :(

movie tie in games, OSTs, country music (which isn't bad, just not my thing), yep..

frequency

I still don't quite get it. I asked the question in the FFXIV forums. If I have expansion gear and I am in an expansion zone on my PS4, then I decide to log in on PC where I don't have the expansion, what happens?

Also, if you're buying physical it may be best to hold off until E3 as you can probably get this year's FS/BB E3 discount on it.

That's a good point. ARR works in that you need both versions (you can't log in without).

I would have to bet on SE taking the easier (and way less dumb) option of just having you buy it once for all platforms like it should have always been.

Though you never know. SE could just have some convoluted garbage to get around it. Like if you bought FFXIV:ARR on Steam, you can only upgrade to Heavensward through Steam.

Edit: Actually I would bet you just can't login to any characters you've played the expansion on. Like if you play expansion content with your PS4 when you log in on PC, on the character select screen that character can't be logged in on and you can only play pre-expansion/new characters on PC. Like if you had a standard sub then got a entry sub. All characters other than 1 will be locked out.

That's a good point. ARR works in that you need both versions (you can't log in without).

I would have to bet on SE taking the easier (and way less dumb) option of just having you buy it once for all platforms like it should have always been.

Though you never know. SE could just have some convoluted garbage to get around it. Like if you bought FFXIV:ARR on Steam, you can only upgrade to Heavensward through Steam.

With ARR it makes sense since it's the base client. You're just buying the code to install on different hardware.

For an expansion, it's a whole different situation.

Edit: Actually I would bet you just can't login to any characters you've played the expansion on. Like if you play expansion content with your PS4 when you log in on PC, on the character select screen that character can't be logged in on and you can only play pre-expansion/new characters on PC. Like if you had a standard sub then got a entry sub. All characters other than 1 will be locked out.

I could see that but it's not a customer friendly solution.

frequency

SE has never been customer friendly. It's confirmed you need to buy for all platforms you intend to play on.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ition-Digest?p=2836394&viewfull=1#post2836394

I play on both Windows and PS4. What do I need to purchase?
You will need to purchase both the Windows and PS4 versions of the expansion to play the new content on both platforms. If you would like the exclusive bonus items from the Collector's Edition, you can get them with either the Windows or PS4 version as they will be linked to a single service account. Heavensward must be installed on the client to access the areas that will be added in Heavensward. If you are planning to log back in on a client that doesn't have Heavensward installed, make sure to log out in an FFXIV: ARR area.

FrsDvl

What's toys at? 60%? Or still 50?

Hope there is some stuff left at the local target, need to get some birthday presents for kids.

khaaan

It's good that you pointed that out since it's another weird thing that people might not be aware of. If you bought ARR through steam you HAVE to purchase Heavensward through Steam as well. Similarly, if you got ARR through other means (ex. Brick & Mortar, Square Enix Store) then you can not use the Steam version of Heavensward.

Renewed

NEW DEAL

If you haven't jumped on getting a Wii U, Walmart may be worth a look. You can grab a Super Mario 3D World bundle with your choice of Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros for free. Runs from today to April 1st.

Also adding this:
Bring the flyer to Superstore on Saturday to price match at no tax.

yH6UWKa.jpg

antibolo

Banned
Only way I'm ever going to subscribe to cable again is if they cut off ads.

Whenever I visit my parents we always end up watching TV in the evening and the ads drive me insane. Feels like we're just watching ads, with some actually content between breaks. I don't know how I could actually endure them on a daily basis back then.

WEGGLES

Only way I'm ever going to subscribe to cable again is if they cut off ads.

Whenever I visit my parents we always end up watching TV in the evening and the ads drive me insane. I don't know how I could actually endure them on a daily basis back then.

Wouldn't ever work. Your cable bill just pays for the infrastructure and not any of the content. Your bill would be insane if they got rid of ads.

Sealtest

looks like futureshop and best buy both updated their websites to show when an item should arrive depending on speed.

Well "as early as". But it's atleast an improvement.

kennah

NEW DEAL

If you haven't jumped on getting a Wii U, Walmart may be worth a look. You can grab a Super Mario 3D World bundle with your choice of Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros for free. Runs from today to April 1st.
Bring the flyer to Superstore on Saturday to price match at no tax.

antibolo

Banned
Wouldn't ever work. Your cable bill just pays for the infrastructure and not any of the content. Your bill would be insane if they got rid of ads.

I know. That's why I know for sure that I will never subscribe to cable ever again. If I'm paying for something, it cannot have ads, period.

Daigr

Thanks for the tip. Was looking at a charcoal bbq smoker but was still 30 off last week. 40 I might grab now.
Maybe grab a copy of fantasy life if any left.

antibolo

Banned
You never go to the movies? :p

Not really, no. But even if I did, ads only show up before the movie so it's not a big deal. They don't stop the movie at regular intervals to invade your eardrums with fucking ads that are louder than the movie itself.

What about product placement in TV shows/movies/games?

Product placement is a shady practice for sure (that is banned in some countries) but it doesn't actively remove you from the experience like actual commercial breaks do. If anything they're a good lol. You go get your Vita for the limo now, Frank!

Never take public transit?

As long as they remain visual only I don't have a problem with them.

Dazzler

I've always thought playing a half hour of ads before a movie is pretty scummy behaviour given how much you're paying to see the film

all the commercials are for banks and the big three telcos too

Jachaos

I miss the days some 2 years ago when I got a brand new PS3 Slim for 120$ at Future Shop, traded in a Resident Evil 6 for 40$ (bought it at 25$ at Microplay on the way to FutureShop). Used Tsilon codes to get games for real cheap. Traded in two year old games for 40$ gift cards. 2012 was great on the deals.

Top Bottom