• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Grats on the MM n3DS's, guys - get that money (or enjoy using it)!

If Target's doing 50% off games now, I might check mine out for Pokemon AS. They had plenty of copies available at 30% off. Seems everyone's about that Garoudon.

I would be surprised if they were still there. Most first-party Nintendo games were gone before it even hit 30%, but maybe yours is in a less busy location.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Two weeks ago when games were 30% off, there were plenty of Wii U and 3DS first party titles still at the Stockyards location in Toronto. The problem was, the only one we didn't already own was Pokemon Art Academy. :/

So Club Nintendo shipped me... Uh... Something according to this email. Didn't explicitly say what, but they shipped something by Canada Post. I guess they shipped the Smash Bros OST?

dOXl42f.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So Club Nintendo shipped me... Uh... Something according to this email. Didn't explicitly say what, but they shipped something by Canada Post. I guess they shipped the Smash Bros OST?

Received the same e-mail. The items I'm expecting are the Smash CD, Zelda messenger bag and the calendar.

chrono01

I received my Super Smash Bros. Wii U CD around a week ago and I only just now received this email. I wonder if it's just delayed or if I'll be getting an extra...

That's because Canada customs is dumb and lets tons of stuff sneak through.

There's a reason why sites like eBay and Amazon.com make you pay it upfront now.

Well, "dumb" is a bit strong. They only do spot checks because it would likely be impossible to check every incoming package to make sure they're not importing things.

That said: yet another reason why you never, ever order anything from Digital River. I didn't even bother with Type-0 HD CE until it magically went up on Amazon.ca.
Still don't know if I regret that purchase or not but at least I didn't pay $150+ for it!

Duty is essentially sales tax, right?

I am 36 and I still have no idea.

Sometimes. There is a specific definition of "duty." Specific types of items may incur an extra charge imposed by the federal government for trade reasons (ex. we don't want you importing so much hardwood because we make that here and want to prop up our own hardwood industry--this is just an example I made up, not a real instance). These duties are additional to the general sales tax imposed on most items. Many classes of items, however, have no specific duty charges (many consumer electronics, for example) and are only charged the usual sales tax.

Renewed

The email about my Smash CDs came at noon. I checked my mailbox for once and the CDs were in there. It's a delayed email. Also got a notification my Smash V2 posters shipped two days ago.

So can I assume the Target deals for games are fair? Probably gonna check for some 3DS stuff today.

IceIpor

50% for gaming stuff?

Grats on the MM n3DS's, guys - get that money (or enjoy using it)!

If Target's doing 50% off games now, I might check mine out for Pokemon AS. They had plenty of copies available at 30% off. Seems everyone's about that Garoudon.

The email about my Smash CDs came at noon. I checked my mailbox for once and the CDs were in there. It's a delayed email. Also got a notification my Smash V2 posters shipped two days ago.

So can I assume the Target deals for games are fair? Probably gonna check for some 3DS stuff today.

Yep. All gaming software, accessories and hardware are 50% off now. This includes PC games, if they have any.

There's a reason why sites like eBay and Amazon.com make you pay it upfront now.

It's because there's money to be made as a broker, and at least for eBay, lets them offer shipping to Canada for their American sellers without the sellers having to do anything but ship to an address in the US. It's typically much cheaper to have something shipped USPS from seller to you in Canada than go through eBay customs. Pretty sure I'd take eBay brokerage over UPS, though.

krae_man

It's because there's money to be made as a broker, and at least for eBay, lets them offer shipping to Canada for their American sellers without the sellers having to do anything but ship to an address in the US. It's typically much cheaper to have something shipped USPS from seller to you in Canada than go through eBay customs. Pretty sure I'd take eBay brokerage over UPS, though.

Not true at all. In Amazon's case, the "fees" are almost always within a buck or two sales tax and ebay works out to identical to Canada post's tax+$7 handling fee or whatever it is. The goal for them is to avoid nasty emails from people who don't understand tax law and think Amazon screwed them over. Also there's probably pressure from the Canadian government. It also speeds up delivery times which is also beneficial to Amazon. It has nothing to do with getting sweet sweet brokerage fees.

Sometimes. There is a specific definition of "duty." Specific types of items may incur an extra charge imposed by the federal government for trade reasons (ex. we don't want you importing so much hardwood because we make that here and want to prop up our own hardwood industry--this is just an example I made up, not a real instance). These duties are additional to the general sales tax imposed on most items. Many classes of items, however, have no specific duty charges (many consumer electronics, for example) and are only charged the usual sales tax.

Thanks chrom! Now I know!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The UPS brokerage fees are something special though; It's above and beyond any other service I've used. You may literally end up paying as much in those fees as you do for the product and that's not even counting the possibility of customs. When I'm ordering something international, if their only option is to ship UPS, I'm out.

I am ordering a Pebble Time and you can pay Duty and a $5-$8 extra shipping fee up front to avoid any surprises at the door. It will also get to my door within a week. I am hoping there aren't any extra surprises. They're using Canada Post at least.

I once paid $20 duty on 12 cans of Miller High Life

I once paid $60 in fees to UPS for a $120 bag. Horrendous fees, but not as bad as what you guys got hit with.

Until 6 months later when I got a letter from a Collection Agency saying I owed UPS $60.

So I called UPS and asked them what's up. They said they had a record of my payment on the day the parcel was delivered.

I was not happy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I always opt for Canada Post when it's an option. They are shitty in plenty of ways, but most of those qualities are shared by every other parcel service. At least Canada Post is easy for me to drop into for a pickup and their online customer service has been good to me.

edit: I haven't had Amazon use UPS for about four years now, I believe. It use to be their standard for free shipping, but now it seems like it's Canada Post. Our former UPS driver was just as unreliable as the Canada Post guy, but he seemed a whole lot grumpier.

I always opt for Canada Post when it's an option. They are shitty in plenty of ways, but most of those qualities are shared by every other parcel service. At least Canada Post is easy for me to drop into for a pickup and their online customer service has been good to me.

edit: I haven't had Amazon use UPS for about four years now, I believe. It use to be their standard for free shipping, but now it seems like it's Canada Post. Our former UPS driver was just as unreliable as the Canada Post guy, but he seemed a whole lot grumpier.

Yeah, Amazon has been sending by Canada Post for the past few months but I definitely remember receiving a package in fall of last year. I know my girlfriend received one by UPS because we had to go to their store to pick it up.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Duty is a barrier to trade.

crom explained it well

Ive gotten multiple emails from them like this, not sure what any of it means as i already got the CD

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I got the CD as well and of course the case is cracked. It came in a plastic cover like game cases.

One last fuck you from Nintendo before they ride off into the sunset towards mobile gaming.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I got the CD as well and of course the case is cracked. It came in a plastic cover like game cases.

One last fuck you from Nintendo before they ride off into the sunset towards mobile gaming.

image.php

Sorry couldn't control myself. I'm pretty sure that even if CN is closing down, their support should be able to replace it for you. Out of gaming comapnies, Ninty has the best CS hands down. Give it a shot.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'm going to be switching away from Wind soon. The price is great ($29/month), but the data has become unusable. I'm trying to play a simple online game and it can't cope (Final Fantasy Record Keeper). Web pages take minutes to load. Wind has been getting worse and worse, and for the past few months it's been barely usable during the day.

Running a speedtest says I'm getting 275ms ping, 0.48mbps download, 0.25mbps download.

Bronetta

Sorry couldn't control myself. I'm pretty sure that even if CN is closing down, their support should be able to replace it for you. Out of gaming comapnies, Ninty has the best CS hands down. Give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Eh I can live with it, doesn't bother me that much.

Worst comes to worst I can swap the jewel case.

With the new FW update it seems to never been easier to swop out the hdd in the PS4 for something larger. What 2TB hdd do people recommend for the PS4. Looking for cheap and reliable. I already have an external hdd to do the back-up to. Thanks.

Cheers

So avoid UPS for anything outside of Canada?

Understood.

UPS are flippin' CROOKS! Their "brokerage fees" is nothing more then a means for them to make even more money off of you. If you call them up and argue with them, they ALWAYS drop the brokerage fees. I have no issues with paying taxes. I do take issue with these magical fees that have no rhyme or reason. When you order something worth $100, and they try to tack on $50 in brokerage fees, there's a problem.

The last time I dealt with them, I cut a check to cover the fees. They gave my my package then left. I then called the bank and cancelled the check. They called back afterwards and told me that the check wouldn't clear and demanded me pay the total again. I told them NOPE! I'll pay the taxes, but I'm not paying their added "fees". I had already paid UPS to have my item shipped by them. If that total isn't covered in their fees, then it's their problem. So I reiterated. I'l pay the taxes, or pay nothing, they could decide. They chose to do a "one time good faith" discount.

UPS...CROOKS.

iphys

The UPS brokerage fees are something special though; It's above and beyond any other service I've used. You may literally end up paying as much in those fees as you do for the product and that's not even counting the possibility of customs. When I'm ordering something international, if their only option is to ship UPS, I'm out.

I ordered a US$90 item from China last month that was supposed to come through the mail but for some reason they shipped with UPS without telling me, and I almost had a heart attack when they showed up at the door. Fortunately I only had to pay about $20, and it looked like it was only a $10 brokerage fee + $10 taxes (guess the value was declared lower), so it was essentially the same fee Canada Post is supposed to charge yet usually doesn't. Not sure if something has changed or why I was so fortunate, because all I've heard is horror stories about UPS brokerage fees.

I just checked and Bloodborne is back to $70 on the PSN store. Even with the 10% off sale going on right now, the $60 price available two days past is still cheaper. Thanks again to the original person who posted the $60 price on PSN.

Cheers

Top Bottom